PDA

View Full Version : Edwards mansion is...pointless[SPOILERS]

MIA SILENT
12-01-2013, 09:50 PM
The mission where we acquired the Mansion was good, and having the Island eventually be the Assassins Hideout is pretty cool, but the Mansion itself is pretty pointless. Upgrading it would have felt satisfying if there were to be any moment in the game it was necessary to go there. I'd like to have seen a mission or two that required us to spend some time in the Mansion. Like what if the Templars were to come back to try reclaim the Island and the Mansion was our stronghold?

I never felt attached to the place one bit, so upgrading it might as well have been a random building somewhere in Kingston. In AC3 we had the Homestead and I felt quite attached to it. Would be nice if all future AC's had somewhere peculiar we could call our own, where it actually feels like home.

RoBg03
12-01-2013, 11:03 PM
yeah, theres not really much motivation to upgrading it. no reason to really go there either, cept for the templar armor, but i don't even like it and never wear it. theres not a whole lot to be gained by upgrading the town in general, just gives you something else to do.

Kagurra
12-01-2013, 11:06 PM
yeah, theres not really much motivation to upgrading it. no reason to really go there either, cept for the templar armor, but i don't even like it and never wear it. theres not a whole lot to be gained by upgrading the town in general, just gives you something else to do.

Achievement/trophy and that's it.

phoenix-force411
12-01-2013, 11:08 PM
It's good to waste your money on when you have a lot. Plus, I think the upgrades make it more homey!

LoyalACFan
12-01-2013, 11:17 PM
Agreed. I forgot I even had it, honestly. I saw it in the final cutscene before he leaves for England, and I was like "oh yeah... this place..."

Upgrading it doesn't do jack.

Syr.Jake
12-01-2013, 11:33 PM
If you are anyone who likes to use the Dancers and Drunk Pirates a lot, buying some of the upgrades is totally worth it. After I bought those appropriate upgrades, I found myself using the Dancers and Pirates a lot more because I no longer had to pay for them each time.

Edward says during the story that his intention is to bring Caroline to the West Indies. I Imagine having the Great Iguana and upgrading it goes towards his desire to have a place for his wife. And not just any place, but a place that shows that he did what he set out to do.

It isn't until he after learns that Caroline is dead, and he has a daughter, that he gives the place over to the Assassin's.

RoBg03
12-01-2013, 11:43 PM
If you are anyone who likes to use the Dancers and Drunk Pirates a lot, buying some of the upgrades is totally worth it. After I bought those appropriate upgrades, I found myself using the Dancers and Pirates a lot more because I no longer had to pay for them each time.

you really have to use them a lot to justify the cost of the upgrades. (7000 for the bonfire, 15000 for the *****house) i was looking at my game stats the other day and under money spent on dancers or pirates i don't think i even cleared 7K combined. and towards the second half of the game i would just hire them whenever i ran past for the heck of it. the fact that money just isn't an issue once you get so far into it kinda hurts the game when it comes to things like this. maybe they should have included a feature like, 'the pirates cut' or something...meaning you have to pay the crew. i mean i get that they love edward and all but maybe they'd like some of that cash? They are pirates after all. it would also give you more motivation to leave the core missions to loot ships, warehouses, etc. also, i really thought you would have to maintain a certain level of rum on board...back then they needed it to make grog because they didn't have clean water to drink.....and again because they are pirates and they drink lots of rum ;)

MnemonicSyntax
12-01-2013, 11:46 PM
You do pay the pirates, when you hire them. If you save them, well, they owe you.

And I like the hideout. I like the underground cave "secret" and the basement that fills up with loot. But I agree that more could have been done with it.

SixKeys
12-01-2013, 11:49 PM
IMO it's the best hideout in any AC game. I freaking love it. It's no more pointless than the Villa in AC2 or the Homestead in AC3. It's just a lovely looking place that's great to explore. I go there just to relax.

Kagurra
12-01-2013, 11:58 PM
IMO it's the best hideout in any AC game. I freaking love it. It's no more pointless than the Villa in AC2 or the Homestead in AC3. It's just a lovely looking place that's great to explore. I go there just to relax.

No it's really useless. The ville in AC2 at least had shops with discounts and where you collect your income, put feathers, armory, etc. The place in AC4 just looks nice for 2 minutes. The homestead was a spawnpoint, had a bunch of little tasks to do, and had the house with the trading table and the outfit thing.

ace3001
12-02-2013, 02:50 AM
AC2's villa = Generates income
AC3's homestead = Provides some of the best missions in the game
AC4's hideout = Just sits there looking pretty and does jack ****

I didn't even upgrade anything there until there was nothing more that I could do with more reales.

Shahkulu101
12-02-2013, 03:26 AM

I didn't even upgrade anything there until there was nothing more that I could do with more reales.

You missed ACB which does the exact same does it not?

ace3001
12-02-2013, 04:07 AM
You missed ACB which does the exact same does it not?

It also doesn't expect us to spend money on upgrading it, so I didn't count it. I only listed the hideouts that we spend money on upgrading.

jetlee2777
12-02-2013, 06:21 AM
Well the monteriggioni villa was kind of becoming home with an own economic system/community etc.,but what really become a more "feeling like home" was the homestead in AC3 yes esp. when you did those sidemissions I mean you get to "learn" and to know more about the people which are living there and all and seeing them in their daily routine work as well and in the end they are even "accepting" you or much better "welcome" you as being one of them.(That reminds me a bit of imo "The Sims")

So if that is not giving you a "Home sweet Home" feeling I donīt know.

But yes the hideout in AC4 is pretty much useless as it got no sidemission and no relations to the people which are living there I mean cmon you canīt even go to the brothel eventhough you have to upgrade it.;):p

shobhit7777777
12-02-2013, 07:01 AM
Has NOBODY discovered it?

HA!

Fully upgrading it leads to a cutscene where Edward is visited by his Wife for a while. The narrative changes a bit with the relationship between Edward and his wife getting better. You can visit the mansion and speak to her....she leaves for England when things get hairy for the pirates at Nassau

Upgrade it now and check out the above!

Kagurra
12-02-2013, 07:05 AM

HA!

Fully upgrading it leads to a cutscene where Edward is visited by his Wife for a while. The narrative changes a bit with the relationship between Edward and his wife getting better. You can visit the mansion and speak to her....she leaves for England when things get hairy for the pirates at Nassau

Okay. That's just straight up not true. I fully upgraded it. Unless it only happens if you do it before you finish the story, but like... why would anybody do that. I only upgraded it after I spent my money on everything else in the game. But if this is the case, that would have to change the ending of the game slightly or it wouldn't make any sense.

Shahkulu101
12-02-2013, 07:05 AM

HA!

So I take it that you need to fully upgrade it before the fall of Nassau? Because I have fully upgraded it. An easter egg of sorts is it?

I can't believe it.

Shahkulu101
12-02-2013, 07:39 AM
Shobhit is trolling

shobhit7777777
12-02-2013, 08:17 AM
Okay. That's just straight up not true. I fully upgraded it. Unless it only happens if you do it before you finish the story, but like... why would anybody do that. I only upgraded it after I spent my money on everything else in the game. But if this is the case, that would have to change the ending of the game slightly or it wouldn't make any sense.

You got to do it early on. Its not a big deal TBH. I thought everyone would've encountered it. I went on a pirating spree and upgraded it early on...much much before the ending...can't recall the sequence.
Its been made so that the ending isn't affected much....its just tweaked.

So I take it that you need to fully upgrade it before the fall of Nassau? Because I have fully upgraded it. An easter egg of sorts is it?

I can't believe it.

Its there. Mrs. Kenway doesn't appear post the Nassau siege. At that stage Edward puts her on the first ship back to England. Seriously...did NO ONE else encounter this? how is this possible?

DarktheMagister
12-02-2013, 08:20 AM
I keep saying that Great Inagua would've been my FAVORITE hideout IF they had put "homesteaders" in AC4.

I mean... the caves and the jungle and the bay....it's just so expansive and lush.... It was a big missed opportunity.

Kagurra
12-02-2013, 08:21 AM
Seriously...did NO ONE else encounter this? how is this possible?

Because it was a giant waste of money when at the time people would rather spend the money on ship/character upgrades.

shobhit7777777
12-02-2013, 08:24 AM
Because it was a giant waste of money when at the time people would rather spend the money on ship/character upgrades.

LOL

Just youtube it...I guess.

Kagurra
12-02-2013, 09:47 AM
LOL

Just youtube it...I guess.

I mean... I don't get what's funny. It's kinda true.

shobhit7777777
12-02-2013, 10:20 AM
I mean... I don't get what's funny. It's kinda true.

It's funny because I'm not the kind of player who would spend any money on something like the mansion - I completely ignored renovation in AC2 and AC3 and only focused on the Assassin centric stuff.....and here I am...invested it for once for a cool reward.

Yoshack Fyre84
12-02-2013, 10:22 AM
Yeah, pretty weak. I hated the fact that you can't interact with each and every collectible to know what it is. You have to go into the Art Collection in your menu to view the items. In the game the stuff is just sitting there, and if you don't remember reading about it in your animus database then it means nothing.

jetlee2777
12-02-2013, 10:47 AM

HA!

Really donīt know about it,but can you not just replay the chapter where you can see the cutscene?,as actually Iīm done already with the story.

If so up to which chapter did I have to replay it,and go the villa at Great Inigua?

shobhit7777777
12-02-2013, 11:08 AM
Really donīt know about it,but can you not just replay the chapter where you can see the cutscene?,as actually Iīm done already with the story.

If so up to which chapter did I have to replay it,and go the villa at Great Inigua?

I made it up

http://narwhaler.com/original/x4/z/batman-troll-face-x4ZQym.jpg

Kagurra
12-02-2013, 11:24 AM
i made it up

http://narwhaler.com/original/x4/z/batman-troll-face-x4zqym.jpg

:eek:

shobhit7777777
12-02-2013, 11:42 AM

:eek:

Shahkulu called it....come on it was kinda obvious. I NEVER spend money on BS - 1st tell right here.

tymaster50
12-02-2013, 03:28 PM
can't believe that guy fell for it. Can you say gullible?

Syr.Jake
12-02-2013, 03:37 PM
you really have to use them a lot to justify the cost of the upgrades. (7000 for the bonfire, 15000 for the *****house) i was looking at my game stats the other day and under money spent on dancers or pirates i don't think i even cleared 7K combined. and towards the second half of the game i would just hire them whenever i ran past for the heck of it. the fact that money just isn't an issue once you get so far into it kinda hurts the game when it comes to things like this. maybe they should have included a feature like, 'the pirates cut' or something...meaning you have to pay the crew. i mean i get that they love edward and all but maybe they'd like some of that cash? They are pirates after all. it would also give you more motivation to leave the core missions to loot ships, warehouses, etc. also, i really thought you would have to maintain a certain level of rum on board...back then they needed it to make grog because they didn't have clean water to drink.....and again because they are pirates and they drink lots of rum ;)

Yeah.. I am 94% sync. Just have the odd stuff to finish up. So I fully upgraded the place and there is nothing left to spend the money on that is just accumulating. Hell, I even went through and bought every single art piece that you can buy from the General Store. Just as something to spend the money on.

AstusOz
12-02-2013, 03:40 PM
If you say 'orange' really slowly it sounds like 'gullible'.

DarktheMagister
12-02-2013, 04:02 PM
If you say 'orange' really slowly it sounds like 'gullible'.

Wait....no it does not......OH I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE!!!!!

luckyto
12-02-2013, 04:23 PM

Yeah, I love it. I think it's great.

SixKeys
12-02-2013, 07:32 PM

Yeah, because God knows we were always hurting for money in AC2 and ACB. :rolleyes: Upon replaying those games, I actually wish the items in stores would get MORE expensive, not less, just so I could have some goal to strive towards. It's completely pointless to get doctor upgrades so you can buy medicine almost for free when you're always rolling in money anyway. I just loot that stuff from dead bodies anyway.

The Homestead was the absolute worst. Running around for miles between houses just so you can scan all these boring people in Eagle vision? Oh, but if you catch them at the wrong time of day, they won't be scannable anyway, so you have to wait another 10 hours and come back later. Yeah, that's great gameplay right there. Your reward is a ledger that tells you everything you ever needed to know about the exciting life of a woodcutter, and consistently crashes your game.

In AC4, the hideout is perfectly balanced. You have some small upgrades to engage in if you want to, but not so many that it becomes a chore. You can pretty up the place by buying art pieces and you have an armory just like the other games. All the important stuff is neatly packed within a reasonable distance. And best of all, no awkwardly acted, underdeveloped characters asking you to be their delivery boy. (You want me to go all the way to New York just to buy you a new hammer? Really? Go get it your own damn self.)

NeoMorph WTH
12-02-2013, 07:58 PM
You do pay the pirates, when you hire them. If you save them, well, they owe you.

And I like the hideout. I like the underground cave "secret" and the basement that fills up with loot. But I agree that more could have been done with it.

LOL... Never really checked down there and never upgraded the mansion as it seemed a waste. Too uppity for a man like Kenway anyway and it would just be a waste as it looks nice compared to the rest already.

RoBg03
12-02-2013, 09:15 PM
Yeah, because God knows we were always hurting for money in AC2 and ACB. :rolleyes: Upon replaying those games, I actually wish the items in stores would get MORE expensive, not less, just so I could have some goal to strive towards. It's completely pointless to get doctor upgrades so you can buy medicine almost for free when you're always rolling in money anyway. I just loot that stuff from dead bodies anyway.

The Homestead was the absolute worst. Running around for miles between houses just so you can scan all these boring people in Eagle vision? Oh, but if you catch them at the wrong time of day, they won't be scannable anyway, so you have to wait another 10 hours and come back later. Yeah, that's great gameplay right there. Your reward is a ledger that tells you everything you ever needed to know about the exciting life of a woodcutter, and consistently crashes your game.

In AC4, the hideout is perfectly balanced. You have some small upgrades to engage in if you want to, but not so many that it becomes a chore. You can pretty up the place by buying art pieces and you have an armory just like the other games. All the important stuff is neatly packed within a reasonable distance. And best of all, no awkwardly acted, underdeveloped characters asking you to be their delivery boy. (You want me to go all the way to New York just to buy you a new hammer? Really? Go get it your own damn self.)

some of the reason we had plenty of money in those games was the fact that we used the homebase as a way to generate income. maybe i'm wrong, i always did the upgrades (especially all the stores you can renovate with ezio).....so i'm not sure if it was still easy to get plenty of cash. for all these games it seems like you have to save for certain items/upgrades until you reach a tipping point, ussually around mid game where your income, or ability to gather cash out weighs the cost of anything you'd want. crafting kinda offset that, but you end up being able to just buy the parts you need so that mechanic was kinda rendered unnecessary.

SixKeys
12-02-2013, 11:44 PM
some of the reason we had plenty of money in those games was the fact that we used the homebase as a way to generate income. maybe i'm wrong, i always did the upgrades (especially all the stores you can renovate with ezio).....so i'm not sure if it was still easy to get plenty of cash. for all these games it seems like you have to save for certain items/upgrades until you reach a tipping point, ussually around mid game where your income, or ability to gather cash out weighs the cost of anything you'd want. crafting kinda offset that, but you end up being able to just buy the parts you need so that mechanic was kinda rendered unnecessary.

True, but AC4 is definitely the most balanced with the economic system. I'm in sequence 7 or 8 currently and I'm already making a lot money, mostly because of Kenway's fleet (I have a lot of Uplay friends). But I'm still missing some of the elite upgrades because you can't get everything in this game with money, which is a great solution. The assassination contracts always give you the same amount of money (1000-1500 reales) whereas in the Ezio games you always got like 4000 florins just for watching a cut scene. The chests you find in this game only give you around 200 reales, so there's little point even bothering with them. In previous games you would always get anything between 500-3000 florins from one chest, and the amounts increased the further you progressed in the story. Assassin tombs not only gave you keys for the ultimate armor, but - guess what! - even more money. AC4 is the first game where not every single action you take gives you money, which fits in with Edward's quest for riches. You have to earn the money by exploring, and use it to progress further in the story.

SleezeRocker
12-03-2013, 12:05 AM
Achievement/trophy and that's it.

Basically this

EaglePrince25
12-03-2013, 01:22 AM
Agreed. I started to upgrade it and then realized this. It doesn't become more powerful like my ship, it doesn't add anything to me personally like pouches or newer weapons do, and unlike the Homestead in AC3, there's not even any characters there to add something to the story. Waste of money. First time I played the game in fact I never once went back there after gaining it (Save when I was taken there by the game) In fact I completely forgot I even had it.

RoBg03
12-03-2013, 01:33 AM
True, but AC4 is definitely the most balanced with the economic system. I'm in sequence 7 or 8 currently and I'm already making a lot money, mostly because of Kenway's fleet (I have a lot of Uplay friends). But I'm still missing some of the elite upgrades because you can't get everything in this game with money, which is a great solution. The assassination contracts always give you the same amount of money (1000-1500 reales) whereas in the Ezio games you always got like 4000 florins just for watching a cut scene. The chests you find in this game only give you around 200 reales, so there's little point even bothering with them. In previous games you would always get anything between 500-3000 florins from one chest, and the amounts increased the further you progressed in the story. Assassin tombs not only gave you keys for the ultimate armor, but - guess what! - even more money. AC4 is the first game where not every single action you take gives you money, which fits in with Edward's quest for riches. You have to earn the money by exploring, and use it to progress further in the story.

you touched on something i forgot about. while i was able to afford alot of the jackdaw upgrades, i was often short on wood or metal, mostly metal, and had to pillage to gain it. that did balance things out a bit. i guess it could be argued, and maybe this was ubi's thought, that the jackdaw itself is more or less your real home base, and great inagua is just for show.

DarktheMagister
12-03-2013, 01:36 AM
It actually renovates into a really nice and relaxing place. It just feels soulless and that is where it went wrong.

SixKeys
12-03-2013, 01:38 AM
you touched on something i forgot about. while i was able to afford alot of the jackdaw upgrades, i was often short on wood or metal, mostly metal, and had to pillage to gain it. that did balance things out a bit. i guess it could be argued, and maybe this was ubi's thought, that the jackdaw itself is more or less your real home base, and great inagua is just for show.

I agree. Some people mentioned that they pretty much forgot about the Inagua hideout and didn't bother upgrading it, whereas others, like me, thought it was a great place just to relax and explore. So I think Ubi handled it in a great way. It's pretty much optional content. You can ignore it if you want and it won't hinder your gameplay progression in any way, especially since it doesn't generate income. Your real home is the Jackdaw.

DarktheMagister
12-03-2013, 01:55 AM
They could've added some guys for generating your own buyable wood/metal/cloth/etc. on the island AND one of those corrupt diplomats....and that would've balanced out the feeling of emptiness and still kept use.

tymaster50
12-03-2013, 02:28 AM
I'm only upgrading for the hell of it, Forgot the thing existed until late in story mode, saw the upgrade prices when i first found it and i was like "lolno"

twenty_glyphs
12-04-2013, 11:15 PM
The weird thing about Great Inagua is that it just gets brushed over once the game gets going. The mission to acquire the hideout was great, and I didn't realize it would become a hideout until it happened. But then the story just moves past it and only brings you back there twice I think, and not even for true missions. I kept assuming Nassau was supposed to be more of Edward's home and forgot about the pirate bay. After the epilogue reminded me of the hideout, I realized it was a really cool atmospheric hideout but it was a shame I'd forgot it even existed for most of the game. I guess part of it is just a side effect of having such a huge world, and developing the story to get you to visit as much of it as possible.

I also think the hideout upgrades were the weakest part of the whole upgrade path in the game. As mentioned previously in the thread, AC4's upgrade system was great and probably the best of the series. Money's not just dished out for everything, and many things require a few different resources with different types of activities required to get them, encouraging and allowing you to focus on some of the upgrades you want first. But the hideout upgrades do nothing of value and are prohibitively expensive when you first encounter them in your playthrough. I think that one thing really makes it useless, because I just thought I'll upgrade the Jackdaw first and then hit this when I have plenty of money, meaning the game itself pretty much guides you to ignore it until late in your playthrough.

AC2's villa is still my favorite hideout of the series, and a big reason is that the game encourages and forces you to go there at many points throughout the story. Because of that, I had an actual attachment to the place and can't think of playing AC2 without thinking of the villa. It didn't hurt that the villa had a great atmosphere and beauty, but I think the pirate hideout has an awesome atmosphere too. The villa's upgrade system also wasn't prohibitively expensive, and it was obvious that it was a wise investment early in the game, so you were encouraged to upgrade it and continued to get more money because of that.

In the end, it's more of just a shame that the hideout in AC4 felt ignored and not really a big deal to me. I really like the place and the atmosphere, and I'm glad they spent the effort to put it into the game. There's nothing wrong with cool side content like that. It's way better than AC3's homestead, which was way too spread out and boring to me.