PDA

View Full Version : Assassins Creed Black Flag pc optimization tips?For Better FPS??

salman147
11-30-2013, 11:26 AM
I'm shocked to see AC BF run worse than AC3 in my PC despite Ubisoft saying that Black Flag is more optimized.Am I missing sth? Is there an AMD driver Patch or Ubi released Patch that can deal with these?Because I'm getting terrible FPS in the lease settings!!! Help.Please

hypergtabro
11-30-2013, 11:48 AM
Sadly you're not missing anything. In this state many people are having fps issues, no matter how good their machines are, mine fully covers the recommended settings and half the time I have to "enjoy" 16 fps... The community is just hoping they're working on a patch or an update that will optimize the game a bit more before they move to the DLC and further games.

salman147
11-30-2013, 11:56 AM
....sighs...

Milenchy
11-30-2013, 01:17 PM
Sadly you're not missing anything. In this state many people are having fps issues, no matter how good their machines are, mine fully covers the recommended settings and half the time I have to "enjoy" 16 fps... The community is just hoping they're working on a patch or an update that will optimize the game a bit more before they move to the DLC and further games.

Yup.. Let's hope they release something soon.

drakkar321
11-30-2013, 03:37 PM
I'm shocked to see AC BF run worse than AC3 in my PC despite Ubisoft saying that Black Flag is more optimized.Am I missing sth? Is there an AMD driver Patch or Ubi released Patch that can deal with these?Because I'm getting terrible FPS in the lease settings!!! Help.Please

Make sure you update your video drivers to the latest version, disable v-sync in game and do not use MSAA higher than x2. I am not familiar with Catalyst but if you do use MSAA and there is an option in your driver control to override the games AA, use that option. Or you can always use FXAA or SMAA. Hopefully this helps.

Nang_
11-30-2013, 09:45 PM
dont get why people complain so mutch i play Ac4 on a samsung laptop whit higest enviorment , texture shadow reflektion and shadows rest on medium then whit smaa and every thing on ON ecxept Vsync and i have no problems at all whit performance :S

Boemundus
11-30-2013, 10:00 PM
try using d3doverrider and enable triple buffering

Milenchy
12-01-2013, 08:02 AM
dont get why people complain so mutch i play Ac4 on a samsung laptop whit higest enviorment , texture shadow reflektion and shadows rest on medium then whit smaa and every thing on ON ecxept Vsync and i have no problems at all whit performance :S

You really can't get it ? The game is not optimized with some configurations.

drakkar321
12-01-2013, 09:11 AM
You really can't get it ? The game is not optimized with some configurations.

Actually, they seem to get it just fine. The only thing that isn't "optimized" is multi-sample anti-aliasing, which can be avoided by using FXAA, SMAA, or using MSAA from your video driver. There is also no triple buffering which can be worked around by not using v-sync, using Nvidia's adaptive v-sync, or using D3DOverider to enable triple buffering. Complaining that the game isn't "optimized" doesn't help the game developers identify and fix the problem and it certainly doesn't help other users avoid or work around the problems.

Boemundus
12-01-2013, 10:46 AM
Actually, they seem to get it just fine. The only thing that isn't "optimized" is multi-sample anti-aliasing, which can be avoided by using FXAA, SMAA, or using MSAA from your video driver. There is also no triple buffering which can be worked around by not using v-sync, using Nvidia's adaptive v-sync, or using D3DOverider to enable triple buffering. Complaining that the game isn't "optimized" doesn't help the game developers identify and fix the problem and it certainly doesn't help other users avoid or work around the problems.

Drakkar, do you mean that if I have a gtx 760 it's better to not enable TXAA at all?

drakkar321
12-01-2013, 10:57 AM
Drakkar, do you mean that if I have a gtx 760 it's better to not enable TXAA at all?

You should be able to use TXAA, though I have heard some people say that TXAA is a bit blurry in AC4. I only have a GTX 570, so I cannot do any testing with TXAA unfortunately. I would recommend following the link at the bottom of my post for a lot more information and details about running AA with AC4 on Nvidia cards, as well as other performance/quality information. If you have any problems at all, feel free to post over there and I will be happy to help you.

salman147
12-03-2013, 05:51 PM

What does that do?Link???

Boemundus
12-03-2013, 06:08 PM
What does that do?Link???

It enables triple buffering. If you read many threads in this forum, you'll find out that triple buffered v-sync makes the game run v-synced above 30fps (it depends on yor system specs). Just search for D3Doverrider on google to find the installation program.

Or you can try this: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/813063-Ok-this-is-a-wierd-way-to-fix-FPS-issues-but-it-worked-for-me-Might-work-for-you

Frag_Maniac
12-04-2013, 02:11 AM

That's only usable if you employ in-game VSync, which I would think would be too taxing if he's only getting 16 FPS in some places.

That said, if you have a powerful enough rig to run the game at max settings and get too much screen tear with VSync off, forcing external triple buffering is one of the most useful tweaks.

I play on a 7970 and though my display is fairly good at resisting screen tear, it was bothering me to the point where I wanted to turn VSync on. The problem is whenever you dip below 60 FPS, the game caps the frame rate at 30 due to not using triple buffering. Now I average 50-60 FPS, vs fluctuating from 30-60, and being stuck at 30 in many scenes.

So yeah, Direct3DOverrider ftw, IF your rig can handle VSync on without extremely low frame rates.

VikMorroHun
12-08-2013, 10:39 PM

There is one other thing not optimized in AC4 Black Flag. Sadly it's a very important thing: CPU usage. My testing indicated (on the following machine: Core i5-2500K at 4.1 GHz, 16 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX660 Ti video card with GeForce 331.82 driver) that if I use higher AA than the recommended FXAA, the load on the first processor core stays at constant 100% but the other three cores are barely used. The game runs well at almost maxed settings but sometimes it crashes because of CPU overload. I like to use TXAA 4x and my computer can handle it most of the time but not always. Btw I tried to send my testing feedback to the developers (who knows, maybe one day they'll patch the game, so it will utilize CPU cores like an AAA game should nowadays) but Ubisoft support could not open my zipped DXDiag file.

SoG Guerrilla39
12-08-2013, 11:13 PM
Is forcing triple buffering a problem with the way ubisoft programmed the game, or is it on the pc side? Because i'm not getting these issues with other games. I too am seeing lousy performance and bad fps on something that should be running smoothly.

-GTX 660TI
-3770K I7

kiazz2014
06-25-2014, 05:47 PM
VikMorroHun,

If your testing is correct, then i think the problem lies within the game. The game is failing to utilize all of the cores and defaults to one core for processing the specified task. Maybe you can change the affinity of the assisins creed process and only use, say 1, 2, 3 or 4 cores. Also, try changing which cores are used. For example 1 and 2 or 1 and 3. Maybe assisins creed works better on one core versus multiple cores. There is a utility called processlasso if i remember correctly that will remember processor affinities for selected processes.
https://bitsum.com/processlasso/