PDA

View Full Version : El Tiburón: How was I SUPPOSED to beat him? [SPOILER]

D.I.D.
11-29-2013, 03:56 AM
Here's what I did...

I mistook him for a standard Heavy at first, so I tried hitting A. That didn't work, nor did basic attacks. So, I thought, perhaps it wants me to use my rope dart. No. Smoke bomb? No. Blowpipe? No. Out of desperation, I even tried the standard pistol. Nothing.

So, I led him up to to the level of the ramparts, and saw there was a sloping roof. I got him on there, strafed so that he was on the side of the drop, and did a 4X chain shot to knock him backwards off the roof. He obligingly complied and plummeted to his death. Curtain.

Now, I'm pretty sure that wasn't the intended way to drop him (although I'm really pleased that the game allowed me to come up with my own solution!), but I'm curious to know what was meant to happen now! He had blood all over his mouth in the final death speech, so maybe you have to use aim and hit him in the face?

Shahkulu101
11-29-2013, 04:08 AM
Here's what I did...

I mistook him for a standard Heavy at first, so I tried hitting A. That didn't work, nor did basic attacks. So, I thought, perhaps it wants me to use my rope dart. No. Smoke bomb? No. Blowpipe? No. Out of desperation, I even tried the standard pistol. Nothing.

So, I led him up to to the level of the ramparts, and saw there was a sloping roof. I got him on there, strafed so that he was on the side of the drop, and did a 4X chain shot to knock him backwards off the roof. He obligingly complied and plummeted to his death. Curtain.

Now, I'm pretty sure that wasn't the intended way to drop him (although I'm really pleased that the game allowed me to come up with my own solution!), but I'm curious to know what was meant to happen now! He had blood all over his mouth in the final death speech, so maybe you have to use aim and hit him in the face?

Well I shot him 12 times with the golden flintlock in the normal 'arena' bit without free aiming, so maybe you pistols weren't good enough? Sounds slightly glitchy to me but I dunno.

D.I.D.
11-29-2013, 04:11 AM
Ah, okay. Maybe I gave up too quickly with pistols. He seemed like one of those "mwa hah haaaah" ultra-armoured enemies who are immune to gunfire. I've never seen this golden flintlock of which you speak, but I guess a normal gun would do the same thing but maybe in more shots. Thanks!

Shahkulu101
11-29-2013, 04:33 AM
Ah, okay. Maybe I gave up too quickly with pistols. He seemed like one of those "mwa hah haaaah" ultra-armoured enemies who are immune to gunfire. I've never seen this golden flintlock of which you speak, but I guess a normal gun would do the same thing but maybe in more shots. Thanks!

Just to inform you - the golden flintlocks are unlocked after completing all naval contracts.

ace3001
11-29-2013, 06:52 AM
That mission glitched for me. I was fighting him halfway through and I tried to get distance between me and him so that I could reload. For this purpose, I climbed onto a roof and ran a little. Suddenly, the white room (is it blue/green room now?) death cutscene popped up and the mission was done.

Kagurra
11-29-2013, 07:01 AM
Basically you just shoot him to death. Kinda stupid IMO.

Shahkulu101
11-29-2013, 07:41 AM
It would be completely apt if Comic Book Guy were to pass comment on this:

WORST. BOSSFIGHT. EVER.

Wolfmeister1010
11-29-2013, 07:45 AM
I used freeaim to shoot him in the face a bunch of times. After several well placed shots his helmet falls off, and then the next headshot is fatal. But yeah, definitely one of the worst boss battles ai have ever done. But el Tiburon was such an underused character that I barely think about it

"Hey Ive got an awesome for a boss battle! The player shoots the boss 4 times with his pistols, then runs away while reloading. Then shoots him 4 times in the face, then runs around while reloading, and then shoots him again in the face! Oh and also there is rain and dramatic music."

AC has never been good with boss battles, and frankly, it is not possible to make a good boss fight with the current combat system. Should have just stuck with a normal assassination.

Shahkulu101
11-29-2013, 07:47 AM
I used freeaim to shoot him in the face a bunch of times. After several well placed shots his helmet falls off, and then the next headshot is fatal. But yeah, definitely one of the worst boss battles ai have ever done. But el Tiburon was such an underused character that I barely think about it

I wish parts of his characterization weren't cut, it's kind of annoying how much stuff is removed.

Wolfmeister1010
11-29-2013, 07:49 AM
I wish parts of his characterization weren't cut, it's kind of annoying how much stuff is removed.

Aye. I feel bad for Darby, knowing how much of his content had to be cut. So many critics hate the story, but they don't realize that it WAS so much more than what made it in the final game.

D.I.D.
11-29-2013, 08:25 AM
Aye. I feel bad for Darby, knowing how much of his content had to be cut. So many critics hate the story, but they don't realize that it WAS so much more than what made it in the final game.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious that it's been hacked away for whatever reasons. The relationships between characters are pretty poorly established at times, but the parts that remain show that Darby's doing this stuff really well. I think he writes much better conversations and "data records", for want of a better term, than anyone else so far. It's just a little puzzling who some of these people are at times, or why Stede Bonnet was suddenly a pirate, or so thankful to Edward all of a sudden. None of this bothered me too much because I was plugging away at the non-story parts of the game for long periods, but it probably looked odd to people who ignored everything else in favour of just following the story alone.

I even like the way it ends. There were a few things that seemed to be pointing in obvious directions, but they didn't play out as expected. Fine by me!

Sigv4rd
11-29-2013, 08:36 AM
Near the end of the fight he randomly lost interest in me and began investigating random hide spots...

Shahkulu101
11-29-2013, 08:37 AM
Yeah, it's pretty obvious that it's been hacked away for whatever reasons. The relationships between characters are pretty poorly established at times, but the parts that remain show that Darby's doing this stuff really well. I think he writes much better conversations and "data records", for want of a better term, than anyone else so far. It's just a little puzzling who some of these people are at times, or why Stede Bonnet was suddenly a pirate, or so thankful to Edward all of a sudden. None of this bothered me too much because I was plugging away at the non-story parts of the game for long periods, but it probably looked odd to people who ignored everything else in favour of just following the story alone.

I even like the way it ends. There were a few things that seemed to be pointing in obvious directions, but they didn't play out as expected. Fine by me!

With Stede Bonnet, I think we were just supposed to fill in the blanks with actual history, as he did indeed join Blackbeards crew and then acquire his own ship, but you are right. The way he was portrayed in the game made his turn to piracy rather unfitting. As for why he was so grateful to Edward, well he did save his life at Cape Bonavista and I think he took inspiration from Edwards talk about the freedom of Nassau and that's why he turned pirate - Edward did see to be his only friend as well.

Heh, just realised this - I really liked Bonnet, likable fool that he is.

D.I.D.
11-29-2013, 09:32 AM
Heh, just realised this - I really liked Bonnet, likable fool that he is.

Yeah, there was just about enough for it to make sense. The slow reveal of James Kidd was absolutely excruciating by contrast, since you'd have to be deaf to not realise what was going on. Yes, boys' voices sound a lot like women's, but crucially not exactly like... IT DIDN'T WORK FOR JIMMY KRANKIE AND IT'S NOT WORKING FOR YOU, MARY READ

I wasn't sure if I had a headstart with liking Bonnet because his voice actor is James Bachman, doing pretty much exactly what he does as Harry Biscuit in Radio4's Bleak Expectations.

ace3001
11-29-2013, 02:02 PM
Actually, talking about cut things, was any meaningful interaction with El Tiburon even left in the game before we kill him? In the "death speech," Edward talks about how he helped make a soldier out of a scoundrel, but what exactly did he do?

Shahkulu101
11-29-2013, 02:15 PM
Actually, talking about cut things, was any meaningful interaction with El Tiburon even left in the game before we kill him? In the "death speech," Edward talks about how he helped make a soldier out of a scoundrel, but what exactly did he do?

In a scene that was cut, you had a boss fight with El tiburon in seq 2 where you get absolutely battered, that's where that piece of dialogue at the end of his death originally stemmed from. It was cut because in the game you were made to fail and couldn't win. Didn't work apparently

It's understandable, but I wouldn't have minded since it was only an early sequence, and a rather important piece of characterization, for both Edward and especially El Tiburon.

DetroitPlaya
11-29-2013, 02:32 PM
If you read his database entry, I feel there should be someone who should be able to give an update on him.

And yeah, I don't like that they cut that early part. It really feels like something is missing. :S

ace3001
11-29-2013, 02:51 PM
In a scene that was cut, you had a boss fight with El tiburon in seq 2 where you get absolutely battered, that's where that piece of dialogue at the end of his death originally stemmed from. It was cut because in the game you were made to fail and couldn't win. Didn't work apparently

It's understandable, but I wouldn't have minded since it was only an early sequence, and a rather important piece of characterization, for both Edward and especially El Tiburon.So, basically, they cut parts out of the game without giving a single thought towards how it would affect story continuity. Nice.

Fatal-Feit
11-29-2013, 03:06 PM
I air assassinated him. The AI in this game sucks.

DarktheMagister
11-29-2013, 03:10 PM
When he died I found I had to stop and think back to the beginning to try and remember if El Tiburon ever just cleaned Edward's clock during any of the cutscenes.... cause thats the only way that line would have made sense.

Also.....was he a mute? Because I swear I heard him talking earlier....but then Edward say "If you could talk...." during his death scene.

Farlander1991
11-29-2013, 03:33 PM
Huh? How does cutting the fight with El Tiburon in sequence 2 affect the continuity or character development? Either way he has beaten the snot out of Edward, be it in a cutscene or gameplay. What really changes? And, heck, there's the set-up/payoff thing going on with him attacking from behind, the first time he did and beat the snot out of him, the second time he missed.

Fatal-Feit
11-29-2013, 03:43 PM
Huh? How does cutting the fight with El Tiburon in sequence 2 affect the continuity or character development? Either way he has beaten the snot out of Edward, be it in a cutscene or gameplay. What really changes? And, heck, there's the set-up/payoff thing going on with him attacking from behind, the first time he did and beat the snot out of him, the second time he missed.

It's easy to neglect at first, but after looking back, after beating the game, it's hard to look pass the fact that the developers didn't change Edward's dialogue to synch with it. It's just little things like these that adds up and make it seem like the developers are getting lazy. =P

Farlander1991
11-29-2013, 04:02 PM
It's easy to neglect at first, but after looking back, after beating the game, it's hard to look pass the fact that the developers didn't change Edward's dialogue to synch with it. It's just little things like these that adds up and make it seem like the developers are getting lazy. =P

Well, that's exactly what I'm asking. How does cutting El Tiburon fight make Edward's dialog not synch?

Sequence 2 includes a permanent fail boss battle - El Tiburon beats the snot out of Edward, Edward doesn't let to be beaten the snot out of in the end.
Sequence 2 doesn't include a permanent fail boss battle - El Tiburon beats the snot out of Edward (in a cutscene), Edward doesn't let to be beaten the snot out of in the end.

MnemonicSyntax
11-29-2013, 06:40 PM
Why do people keep saying Devs are lazy?

Being a game dev requires long, and difficult work hours, demands from up top, and is a thankless job.

On the topic of El Tiburon, I got my first two "natural" counter kills yesterday, because I was blocking attacks so I can use two guards as human shields (optional objective) and uh... while blocking, I got two double counter kills... IN A ROW.

FML.

D.I.D.
11-29-2013, 07:05 PM
Why do people keep saying Devs are lazy?

Being a game dev requires long, and difficult work hours, demands from up top, and is a thankless job.

On the topic of El Tiburon, I got my first two "natural" counter kills yesterday, because I was blocking attacks so I can use two guards as human shields (optional objective) and uh... while blocking, I got two double counter kills... IN A ROW.

FML.

I've had what appears to be a triple counter kill a few times, where the camera stays in its "cinematic" aspect and a third target is taken down too.

aL_____eX
11-29-2013, 10:13 PM

"Hey Ive got an awesome for a boss battle! The player shoots the boss 4 times with his pistols, then runs away while reloading. Then shoots him 4 times in the face, then runs around while reloading, and then shoots him again in the face! Oh and also there is rain and dramatic music."

Made my day. :D Ubisoft mission designers at work. I believe the El Tiburon fight was one of if not THE worst in AC history.

Shahkulu101
11-29-2013, 10:18 PM

Well he only punched him once did he not? They should have made it so El Tiburon absolutely battered Edward, one punch doesn't look significant enough for Edward to be 'humbled' and better himself.

Sushiglutton
11-29-2013, 10:54 PM
If I was to list the ten worst bossfights in vidoegame history I bet AC would take like eight of the spots or something lol. I just ran around and shot him. Best part was a version of the final duel from A Fist Full of Dollars. Both El T and Ed were reloading at the same time. Thankfully Ed finished first and shot the old bastard down. When a man with a flintlock meets a man with an axe, the man with the log splitter is a dead man.

ace3001
11-30-2013, 02:02 AM
Well he only punched him once did he not? They should have made it so El Tiburon absolutely battered Edward, one punch doesn't look significant enough for Edward to be 'humbled' and better himself.
Yeah, the whole "I was humbled," and "you helped made a soldier out of a scoundrel" thing is just way too much for that little. It simply makes that death speech not make any sense whatsoever.

Farlander1991
11-30-2013, 01:04 PM

Once is enough. Edward kept playing with fire and thought he could get away with it without any burns, that he's better than all the fools he's playing, that he's skillful enough to do this kind of con, but it took only a single punch to make him not able to stand at all. If anything, one punch is more humbling than a perma-fail boss battle beatdown - it's less humiliating to go down with a fight than to go down without it.

Thayin2012
11-30-2013, 06:26 PM
Once is enough. Edward kept playing with fire and thought he could get away with it without any burns, that he's better than all the fools he's playing, that he's skillful enough to do this kind of con, but it took only a single punch to make him not able to stand at all. If anything, one punch is more humbling than a perma-fail boss battle beatdown - it's less humiliating to go down with a fight than to go down without it.
Amen to that

AngryRaisin
12-01-2013, 03:09 AM
I need help. I am stuck in this boss fight and I don't have the upgrades to beat him and the game does not give me the option to abort the memory. Fortunately I am wearing Mayan outfit so when he shoots me it doesn't do anything but he gets me with his battle axe every time and nothing I do offensively to him does anything whatsoever. I have even tried fighting disarmed with the hope of grabbing his weapon but it won't let me. I'm equipped with Officer's Rapiers (5, 4, 3) for swords and Cannon-barrel pistols (3, 5, 3). As others have stated, he is immune to smoke bombs, poison darts, rope darts and everything else including my bullets and sword fighting only serves to provide countering for me but does nothing offensively against him.

Anybody have any ideas on what I can do? This could be a game breaking issue for me if I have to delete my save game and start over in order to exit this fight. And that just seems ludicrous.

I should add that I've tried the things mentioned in the beginning of the thread—luring him off the roof, but I don't seem to have enough sword power to push him back. And I tried air assignation and I just bounce off him like he's a rock. Shooting him does nothing either.

D.I.D.
12-01-2013, 03:16 AM
AngryRaisin - It seems that you just need to do a few chain shots (i.e. Y + Y + Y + Y) until he's down. But as I said, you can kill him in one chain shot just by going up to that sloping A-frame roof above the fight arena. He'll follow you wherever you go, and there's a deadly drop on the far side of that roof. Manoeuvre him so that he's facing you with his back to that drop, blast him with the pistol, and he'll fall to his death.

AngryRaisin
12-01-2013, 03:20 AM
Ha! Nevermind. I just tried for the 20th time and finally got him off the roof after shooting him a few times and he was reloading his gun. Phew !

AngryRaisin
12-01-2013, 03:21 AM
I swear it always works that way—when I finally resort to asking for help I get it figured out as soon as I post! LOL

D.I.D.
12-01-2013, 03:25 AM
I swear it always works that way—when I finally resort to asking for help I get it figured out as soon as I post! LOL

:D As I say, this is NOT the orthodox way to kill him, but if it works, it works!

MnemonicSyntax
12-01-2013, 03:49 AM
I uh... cheated in order to even get to El Tiburon, I climbed up the ship, Berserked a sniper, who in turn called everyone into the Fortress, even Torre's fake, and then I Berserked him and... end scene.

I hate the "stay out of combat" BS.

phoenix-force411
12-01-2013, 04:10 AM
Lol, Hidden Blades solves your problems. I hid around a corner and as he ran by the corner, I assassinated him with my hidden blade. It wasn't the corner assassination, it was just a stealth assassination from the front. So yeah, easy death.

Thayin2012
12-01-2013, 06:59 AM
To beat El Tiburon: Listen to Edward's dialogue- free aim andnheadshot him until his helmet falls off. Then headshot him one more time and he dies

Vogue_77
12-02-2013, 05:45 AM
You can either assassinate him, or just shoot his helmet off and headshot him (or spam Y until he dies, he's not immune to bullets, if you have the ammo to unload couple times).

Nandenirvin
05-20-2019, 07:00 PM
Here's how I killed that guy, unconventionally:
As the fight starts I keep looking for queer ways to take him down, starting with basic swordfight tactics, which becomes a failure as he knows how to counter all my moves. Then come smoke bombs, but he could unfailingly see through all the smoke and so he remains unbeatable. And then I shoot darts with all the possible properties upgraded to their highest potential through my blowpipe, yet he turns out immune to their effects. (And as I knew his bullets wouldn't bounce off me, I had put on the Mayan outfit for additional protection.) After that I try to gain higher grounds and once succeeded, throw rope darts at him to strangle him, but possibly because he has a thicker neck or heavier body due to all that armour he has wrapped himself up with, the ropes would break off and he would be released over and again. But he never pursues me to the top and remains down below. Then I climb up to a wooden beam from which I could jump down and air assassinate him but I have something else in mind and the idea of doing so or even attempting it remains unthought of possibly because I presumed that the guy has hightened senses and so he would be able to block my attack. Therefore, I make the move as planned. At first, I throw a smoke bomb at him, which although fails to daze him, could have possibly held him inside the field of effect while I make my finishing moves. I do jump down upon him, not to instantly assassinate, but to tackle him so he falls on the ground and lies there, helplessly, with his behind turned towards me. Finally, I finish him off with a brutal sword slash through his armoured back.
THE END