PDA

View Full Version : Ok...this is a wierd way to fix FPS issues, but it worked for me. Might work for you

SgtSweatySac
11-28-2013, 10:49 PM
So...like a lot of other people on here, I WAS having problems with the PC version of Assassins Creed 4 on a high-end Nvidia card. My rig entails:

Core i5 3570K (normally 3.4GHz, overclocked to 4.2GHz)
8GB of DDR3
MSI 770 running the latest WHQL (331.82)
Windows 7

I was stuck in the 30's for more than a few parts of the game, then go up to 60-70, then back to 30....lots of people with high-end Nvidia cards complaining about the same thing, right? So, I tried everything, Beta drivers, turned all settings to low, ****ed with AA till I was blue in the face, nothing made a difference. This was controller-throwing frustration building up here. Well, 2 days ago, I left my game up on my PC and went to make dinner for the family, and forgot about it. Came back to my PC, unlocked it (have a password, so it was at the Windows User selection screen), and clicked the icon on the taskbar to go back into the game.

Lo and behold, I was running above 60 almost everywhere with all settings maxed except for AA, which I set to SMAA. Even in the Abstergo Lobby, which would send my FPS plummeting, it was running like buttah. So, I tried a test. I quit the game, restarted it, had ****ty FPS again. Hit my Windows Key+L to lock the PC, entered my password, clicked the icon on the taskbar, awesome FPS again.

I know this sounds ******ed, but, my hand to god, it works for me. I don't know what exactly is going on here, but it works. I took screenshots to see if maybe one of the graphical filters is being tuned off, but I can't see any difference.

So, the process is:

1. Start AC4
2. Load your savegame, and wait till you're fully in-world
3. Hold down your Windows Key and L to lock the PC
4. Unlock your PC
5. Click on the Icon in your taskbar for AC4
6. Enjoy the framez

Here are some screenshots. Do you see a big difference, cause I sure don't. Only the position of the shadows has changed, and I'm guessing thats due to the game world having a real-time lighting engine? Or is a graphical filter that's causing my FPS to tank not working right? I don't know, maybe you can see what the difference might be.

Pre-lock:
http://i.imgur.com/fZ2gXVe.jpg

Post-lock:
http://i.imgur.com/NGqZzed.jpg

Pre-lock:
http://i.imgur.com/BSyl3XG.jpg

Post-lock
http://i.imgur.com/nFcbgVn.jpg

VivaLaSpook
11-28-2013, 11:08 PM
Unbelievable. This actually worked for me too.

I was one of those people with a 780 who kept getting locked to 30fps and had to use D3DOverrider to get 55/60fps.

I like this solution better. Thanks mate.

Boemundus
11-28-2013, 11:32 PM
I'm gonna test this as well...

Loucmachine.Joe
11-28-2013, 11:35 PM
If this help you guys there is a software bottleneck somewhere... and its not the game.
As the hardware gets used normally here, this ''fix'' dosnt change anything for me. :)

SgtSweatySac
11-28-2013, 11:47 PM
Unbelievable. This actually worked for me too.

I was one of those people with a 780 who kept getting locked to 30fps and had to use D3DOverrider to get 55/60fps.

I like this solution better. Thanks mate.

Ok, I feel better now, to know that I'm not completely ****ing insane. This was just pure, unadultrated dumb luck on my part, to find this, so even if it only helps one other person, I'm happy.

Loucmachine.Joe
11-28-2013, 11:51 PM
It would be very interresting if you could take pictures of your framerate, gpu load and cpu load before and after you do the trick.
Also do you use the in game Vsync ?

SgtSweatySac
11-28-2013, 11:56 PM
It would be very interresting if you could take pictures of your framerate, gpu load and cpu load before and after you do the trick.
Also do you use the in game Vsync ?

What would be a good program to do this with? I know of FRAPS, but that's only for FPS. I vaguely recall seeing a screenshot with the info you mentioned in it, but don't recall which program was being used to generate it.

And this was with Vsync fully enabled in-game, not with the Nvidia control panel. The only option I have the Nvidia control panel screwing with is power saving, and I have it set to performance.

Before I did this, I did turn off Vsync to help my framerate, but couldn't stand the screen tearing.

Loucmachine.Joe
11-29-2013, 12:03 AM
What would be a good program to do this with? I know of FRAPS, but that's only for FPS. I vaguely recall seeing a screenshot with the info you mentioned in it, but don't recall which program was being used to generate it.

And this was with Vsync fully enabled in-game, not with the Nvidia control panel. The only option I have the Nvidia control panel screwing with is power saving, and I have it set to performance.

Before I did this, I did turn off Vsync to help my framerate, but couldn't stand the screen tearing.

OK.
1. Vsync in game will cap you at 30 fps (half refresh rate) if you touch 59fps. Use D3Doverrider, add your .exe and activate Vsync with Triple buffering to have a normal Vsync.
2. Use ''msi afterburner'' or ''EVGA precision'' for gpu monitoring stuff. Windows task manager can do the trick for CPU load, but you can also download HWmonitor to add your cpu monitoring to your overlay.

peshu
11-29-2013, 01:12 AM
This procedure seems to have activated triple buffering.

Loucmachine.Joe
11-29-2013, 01:54 AM
This procedure seems to have activated triple buffering.
Wow i think you are right actually ... :O
And in game vsync (before procedure) seems to lock me @ about 40 fps instead of 30... O.o

HypeR.tgL
11-29-2013, 02:50 AM
This works. GTX 660 here running the game at 30-50 fps at all times with max settings, except shadows.

This is a screenshot of my FPS with the following settings:

Res: 1080p
Environment Settings: Very High
Texture Q: High
AA Q: FXAA
Shadow Q: Very High
Reflection Q: High
Motion Blur: Off
God Rays: High
Volumetric Fog: On
Vsync: On

http://i41.tinypic.com/w99vfn.png

Thank you so much, I did this on accident sometimes and I always wondered why my FPS bettered at times, now I know. Cheers!

KIRHAN30
11-29-2013, 04:28 AM
LOL. Nice trick, mate, thank you. I was too lazy to use D3DOverrider. With maximum settings, V-sync ON my FPS was stuck at 30fps, now 40-45. MSI GTX 760OC 4MB here.

t22n
11-29-2013, 08:46 AM
What kind of black magic is this? Ubi, please look in this. This guy is up to something wonderful

x___Luffy___x
11-29-2013, 01:47 PM
this works. thanks for the fix OP.

http://i.picpar.com/ub1.jpg

http://i.picpar.com/vb1.jpg

IDefectedI
11-29-2013, 02:35 PM
Tried this last night and it seemed to work. Then again I had a few buds... I will try again today.

Boemundus
11-29-2013, 05:30 PM
Guys, this is unbelievable. I think this thread should be made sticky.

This actually works.

My specs:

AMD phenom 2 X4 965 @3.4ghz
GTX 760
8 gb RAM
Win 7 64bit

1080p resolution

Before "fix": all setting set to maximum in Havana= 20 fps

After "fix": all settings set to maximum in Havana= 35 to 60 fps depending on which direction I look at.

I don't know what's the technical reason behind this. I even thought that doing this "trick" disabled all the effects, but no, I switched down all settings to low and the visual difference was enormous. The strange thing is that setting all to low my FPS improved only, like, 10 fps. Weird !

The devs should really investigate and look into this. In the meantime, is there any tech geek forum member that can show us WHY THE HELL this is happening?! :D

anyway, thanks to the OP... a lucky discover indeed!

Milenchy
11-29-2013, 06:38 PM
Didn't work for me -.- Still getting 15 fps on low or high, doesn't matter :mad:

AnthonyA85
11-29-2013, 09:56 PM
I'll have to try this next month on xmas day, though i'll have to see what my framerate is like first. I'm not expecting miracles.

I'm using:

Intel Q6600 @2.4 stock speed
6GB DDR2 Ram
XFX HD 7950 3GB

I know that the AC games don't take advantage of multicore cpus, which is odd, since the last gen and current gen consoles are multicore platforms, but i'll still probably have to OC my cpu, and hopefully not kill it

CalinTM
11-29-2013, 10:32 PM
This works for what people ? The ones who play with vsync ? Well vsync in the game is broken. use d3doveridder and tis the same thing. This not magically brings more fps though..

IDefectedI
11-29-2013, 10:36 PM
This works for what people ? The ones who play with vsync ? Well vsync in the game is broken. use d3doveridder and tis the same thing. This not magically brings more fps though..

That program will not work on my end. V-sync is not the problem its CPU optimization/coding. this "Fix" is more or less snake oil.

Boemundus
11-29-2013, 11:22 PM
That program will not work on my end. V-sync is not the problem its CPU optimization/coding. this "Fix" is more or less snake oil.

why do you say it's snake oil?

IDefectedI
11-29-2013, 11:57 PM
why do you say it's snake oil?

19th-century American practice of selling cure-all elixirs

Gugus_
11-30-2013, 12:50 AM
Worked for me too (I was doing ctrl+alt+tab while in game, locked at 30fps, then Open Task manager and alt+tab back to game, 35/40fps after that, vsync active and still no tearing).

Did someone signal it in the Bug/Issues thread ?

Boemundus
11-30-2013, 10:06 AM
19th-century American practice of selling cure-all elixirs

I knew the meaning, but I don't think this "fix" is fake, it works for many people.

peshu
11-30-2013, 11:52 AM
I knew the meaning, but I don't think this "fix" is fake, it works for many people.

It just activates triple buffering, same as using D3DOverrider. Still an awful port.

burtie80
11-30-2013, 01:15 PM
It worked for me, but as soon as I alt tabbed out of the game and went back the FPS were locked to 30 again.
Good find but easier to use D3DOverrider, don't have to keep locking PC then.

Boemundus
11-30-2013, 02:22 PM
I saw an improvement in fps from using d3doverrider to this method.

D2Girls
12-01-2013, 08:29 PM
My ****ing face when this actually fixed my FPS problems. Holy ****. Thanks a lot OP.
Still cant even believe this worked lol.

Boemundus
12-02-2013, 12:31 AM
It's unbelievable why none of the mods/admins/devs cared to write something about this. I don't think that this fix simply enables triple buffering, I mean, it does but it also improves overall performance.

If I were the devs, I'd look into it. At least to figure out WHY locking windows has so much impact on the game. I mean, this could be implemented in a patch. It's like when scientists are researching for a cure, and someone finds out that a certain plant has a benefical side effect on that disease.

IDefectedI
12-02-2013, 05:27 AM
This trick also works with Farcry:3

HypeR.tgL
12-02-2013, 07:58 AM
inb4 works with all ubisoft games

kiazz2014
06-25-2014, 06:47 PM
I will be trying this out tonight. Maybe it is a windows issues with passing something about tripple buffering? I have windows 8.1 and have lag issues as well. Can't wait to have internet back... life sucks without internet at home..

pepsi_max2k
04-14-2015, 08:44 AM
inb4 works with all ubisoft games

Actually, works with all games - it's nothing to do with the game specifically, it's a VSync issue as others have said.

Replying cos this thread just made kotaku :) http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2015/04/13/one-weirdest-pc-performance-tweaks-ive-seen

Anytime you see a drop from 60fps to 30fps, and randomly jumping between them as OP has, it's a VSync issue. Quite simply, VSync will lock your output FPS to 60fps to keep it in sync with your monitor's (suposedly) 60Hz refresh, though will drop this to 30fps if it can't make 60fps. Ie. if the game's fps drops to 59fps, the video card will send 30fps to the monitor. VSync simply stops vertical "tearing" of the image - you can google that stuff if you must. And it generally works in Direct3D (DirectX) and OpenGL software - eg. videogames. And that's where the simple stuff ends as, much with many things PC, everything else varies depending on your exact setup.

a) The game won't necessarily report exatly 30fps or 60fps. You may see an average, or a gradual drop (so, OP saw 40fps, which is probably just the game trying to give an average before realising it's locked to 30fps).
b) Enabling VSync can be done in tons of different ways, and not all these ways work the same for every system with every game. For the most part though, use the game's settings to enable / disable it wherever possible (this is actually a Microsoft techincal requirement since Windows 7, though some software specifically from Nvidia are meant to ignore this, going "off spec" ignoring MS advice to force vsync when enabled through drivers - techincally you should only do it with in-game settings).
c) TrippleBuffering is a "fix" to the constant drop from 60 to 30 to 60. In short, it means you can have VSync enabled, but it won't affect the output sent to the monitor, so you won't see the epic drops in fps. Again, it doesn't always work, is enabled in different ways, and has it's own "issues" - see http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_10.html .

So, some of you will, and some of you wont have VSync and/or Tripple Buffering enabled, despite what you think you have enabled / disabled in driver / game / app settings. Blame MS / Nvidia / Ati / Every game dev ever / PC software in general for that.

The one thing you can be certain of?

1) If you're seing 60fps drop to 30fps, just to jump back to 60fps? You have Vsync enabled, and Tripple Buffering disabled.

And as for the "fix":

2) Exiting a Direct3D (eg. videogame) screen to a non-Direct3D screen (eg. desktop) will disable VSync. Moving immediately back to the Direct3D screen *won't* re-enable Vsync. Ie. Alt-tabbing out of your game to the desktop or lock screen (or bringing them up another way - eg. Windows-L) will turn off VSync, and then tabbing back to your game will leave you with disabled Vsync. Which will mean you won't drop to 30fps anymore every time the game renders 59fps. You will however see horizontal tearing. And you'll have to restart the game for VSync to re-enable itself. If indeed it was ever enabled to begin with.

So, sadly, your fix isn't really a fix, merely just another way of you disabling VSync and getting the full FPS displayed from game. You can acomplish the same thing simply by disabling VSync (and note (a) above - just because you *think* you've disabled it, doesn't mean you have ;) ). So long as you can put up with the tearing, that's fine. Alternatively, enable both VSync and TrippleBuffering if you can, and if it works.

Welcome to the world of PC gaming, everyone :)

Frag_Maniac
04-14-2015, 11:41 PM
I like using D3DO in any game that needs VSync and/or Triple Buffering. It usually works, and has an audible tone signifying it's enabled it in game.

That said, my display resists tear very well, so I don't often have to use VSync.

J4midabal
06-15-2015, 07:57 PM
Hey Sarg; I gotta tell you, you're sure on to something. I'm running a mid-level rig [Win 7 Ultimate; Athlon II dual core 3 Ghz CPU; DDR3 8 gig memory; Radeon HD7770 DDR5 card] My settings are High, Medium, etc. I tried your fix, and my fps went from 18-22 on land to 38-45. At sea from 27-30 to 40-50, and fps stayed mostly constant. I don't know what the magic is, but Bless you!

TaylorBlakeH
10-11-2016, 04:09 PM
Simple solution, no matter the game....

If you're frame rate keeps jumping from 60 down to 30, you have double buffering V-Sync enabled. If the in-game menu doesn't have an option explicitly for you to enable triple buffering, then disable V-Sync in game, go into the NVIDIA control panel, and then enable V-Sync "Set to "On"" and also enable "Triple Buffering".

There. from now on, if you disable V-Sync in game, all games you play will no longer be affected by the 60 to 30 jumps.

CofiMC
02-04-2017, 05:25 PM
I have amd fx8320 3.50 ghz,asus gtx1050 2GB,8GB DD3,and windows 7, in Assassin's creed IV on very high settings when i look at sky i have 60 fps when i look on city i have 40 fps same situation is with low settings.Pls Help me!

strigoi1958
02-05-2017, 04:10 AM
@CofiMC That's perfectly okay. I play lots of games at 30 FPS and I have a gtx 1070... 40 fps is more than enough to play AC games. The game doesn't have any guaranteed amount of FPS. The sky is clear the city has a lot of detail so your pc has to work harder and cannot get all that detail on to 60 frames every second but it's not important....

Don't get drawn into the silly FPS watching that people sometimes do.... FPS checking is really for people with $€ 10,000 PC's to play benchmark tests... all we need to do is be able to play the game... and 30 FPS and above is more than enough. Don't worry about it.... also, running an FPS counter slows your game.

Guidedfirestorm
02-24-2017, 07:46 PM
I have a 1080 FTW card. Running everything at High/Ultra settings, game goes from 60 fps to 18 fps throughout the game. If you lower the PhysX setting in-game from High to Normal, the game balances out to 48 fps to 60 fps. The game is not optimized for Nvidia's PhysX Technology.

strigoi1958
02-24-2017, 09:19 PM
The game is made first... it is nvidias job to make sure all things that are added on later work well. It's like you saying I bought a small car then added 1 ton of extra bodywork that looks good but the extra weight slows it down, the car maker should have made the car faster.... :) not true, the people making the extras should make them lighter.

It really serves Nvidias purpose to make settings as demanding as possible... because if everyone could get 300 fps at ultra with a gt210 in every game then nobody would buy a titan x

Also, some of the effects make games look absolutely awful when turned to ultra, but some people do not understand that setting are there to be adjusted... but they just want ultra regardless of how bad it sometimes looks :)