PDA

View Full Version : The Future of AC: What Will AC5 Bring Us?

Wolfmeister1010
11-27-2013, 11:51 PM
I have been thinking about the future of AC. Each game has had its own "gimmick", its own big "thing" that is the main advertising point and the main aspect of the game that keeps things "fresh". In ACB, it was the introduction of assassin recruits and city economy. In ACR, it was the memory seals and Altair. In AC3, it was a huge frontier open world, weather and animals, and a new engine. In Black flag it was open world naval sandbox. So, what could be AC5's gimmick?

1. A rejuvenated Land based AC

I dont think naval will return in Ac5. Not even mission based naval like in AC3. I believe that Ubisoft has perfected the naval aspect, and now it is time to move on. Naval would not be "fresh" anymore if put in the next game. And, if one wanted to play naval, they could just dive right back into Ac4, which was made for screwing around with naval. It would be a bad business gimmick to advertise Ac5 with more naval stuff. While Naval brought life back to AC, it will not be enough to keep Future ACs fresh. Naval has done its job, but now Ubisoft needs to thunk of a new way to rejuvenate the the series, and keep it fresh. While most of us can agree that AC4 is a fantastic game, and one of the best in the series, I feel like we can also all agree that the land based Parts are becoming increasingly tiring. Same mechanics, same parkour, literally nothing has changed since AC1. While The success of AC4 brings high hopes for the future, I can not help but worry. Ubisoft NEEDS to focus on rejuvenating land based AC. This should be the next game's gimmick

2. Back to the Basics

Ubisoft seems to know about its mistakes in AC3 and are not happy with how the land based part of AC (combat,social stealth, parkour) has stayed the same for the past 5 games. They say in this article http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-19-next-assassins-creed-will-be-much-more-next-gen that there is much that they want to do in the future with things like combat, parkour, and social stealth. Social stealth is one of those things in the game that has become so recycled that they don't even talk about it anymore in the games. I font even remember a tutorial for it in Ac4. It has become so recycled that it literally has been forgotten in the development, and forgotten in the advertisements.

I am very happy to see that ubisoft seems to be going back to the basics, and are looking to rejuvenate the core of AC, not just adding awesome new features (freeroam naval sandbox) to make up for the lack of fresh land based gameplay. It is interesting to me, and I can not wait to see what they have come up with for the next game. Hopes are very high, and I hope Toronto can deliver on the same retrospect that Ash and his crew did.

3. Modern day theory: You know how in the modern day part of Ac4, Olivier went missing? Well, other than saying this, they never went into any greater detail about it. This makes me think that the modern day part will not have "you" as the protagonist anymore, and will take place starting from the middle of the AC4 modern day storyline, to some time after, when Juno perhaps becomes stronger. I believe that you will once again play the role of an assassin, (maybe William?) who works with Shaun and Rebecca and that crew. I mean, it all makes sense: Rebecca got the intel from "you" that there would be a shareholders meeting in chicago. So, it makes sense that the assassins used that data to capture Olivier. This makes a reasonable beginning plotline for Ac5; the assassins learning about the observatory and other templar schemes from Olivier, gaining the upper hand on the templars. Perhaps modern day AC5 will be about the race for the observatory. I assume that Aita would be involved as well, as he and his reincarnations are a major plot point in the story of Juno.

This could happen...or perhaps it just means that Aiden Pierce does something in Watch Dogs like kidnapping Olivier, and it would just be a big easter egg.

Edit: realized that Toronto is not the lead sorry! And another article saying that the next AC is like returning home. http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/news/a503369/jade-raymond-on-assassins-creed-return-it-feels-like-going-home.html

robinthefactory
11-28-2013, 12:13 AM
I have been thinking about the future of AC. Each game has had its own "gimmick", its own big "thing" that is the main advertising point and the main aspect of the game that keeps things "fresh". In ACB, it was the introduction of assassin recruits and city economy. In ACR, it was the memory seals and Altair. In AC3, it was a huge frontier open world, weather and animals, and a new engine. In Black flag it was open world naval sandbox. So, what could be AC5's gimmick?

1. A rejuvenated Land based AC

I dont think naval will return in Ac5. Not even mission based naval like in AC3. I believe that Ubisoft has perfected the naval aspect, and now it is time to move on. Naval would not be "fresh" anymore if put in the next game. And, if one wanted to play naval, they could just dive right back into Ac4, which was made for screwing around with naval. It would be a bad business gimmick to advertise Ac5 with more naval stuff. While Naval brought life back to AC, it will not be enough to keep Future ACs fresh. Naval has done its job, but now Ubisoft needs to thunk of a new way to rejuvenate the the series, and keep it fresh. While most of us can agree that AC4 is a fantastic game, and one of the best in the series, I feel like we can also all agree that the land based Parts are becoming increasingly tiring. Same mechanics, same parkour, literally nothing has changed since AC1. While The success of AC4 brings high hopes for the future, I can not help but worry. Ubisoft NEEDS to focus on rejuvenating land based AC. This should be the next game's gimmick

2. Back to the Basics

Ubisoft seems to know about its mistakes in AC3 and are not happy with how the land based part of AC (combat,social stealth, parkour) has stayed the same for the past 5 games. They say in this article http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-19-next-assassins-creed-will-be-much-more-next-gen that there is much that they want to do in the future with things like combat, parkour, and social stealth. Social stealth is one of those things in the game that has become so recycled that they don't even talk about it anymore in the games. I font even remember a tutorial for it in Ac4. It has become so recycled that it literally has been forgotten in the development, and forgotten in the advertisements.

I am very happy to see that ubisoft seems to be going back to the basics, and are looking to rejuvenate the core of AC, not just adding awesome new features (freeroam naval sandbox) to make up for the lack of fresh land based gameplay. It is interesting to me, and I can not wait to see what they have come up with for the next game. Hopes are very high, and I hope Toronto can deliver on the same retrospect that Ash and his crew did.

3. Modern day theory: You know how in the modern day part of Ac4, Olivier went missing? Well, other than saying this, they never went into any greater detail about it. This makes me think that the modern day part will not have "you" as the protagonist anymore, and will take place starting from the middle of the AC4 modern day storyline, to some time after, when Juno perhaps becomes stronger. I believe that you will once again play the role of an assassin, (maybe William?) who works with Shaun and Rebecca and that crew. I mean, it all makes sense: Rebecca got the intel from "you" that there would be a shareholders meeting in chicago. So, it makes sense that the assassins used that data to capture Olivier. This makes a reasonable beginning plotline for Ac5; the assassins learning about the observatory and other templar schemes from Olivier, gaining the upper hand on the templars. Perhaps modern day AC5 will be about the race for the observatory. I assume that Aita would be involved as well, as he and his reincarnations are a major plot point in the story of Juno.

This could happen...or perhaps it just means that Aiden Pierce does something in Watch Dogs like kidnapping Olivier, and it would just be a big easter egg.

Edit: realized that Toronto is not the lead sorry! And another article saying that the next AC is like returning home. http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/news/a503369/jade-raymond-on-assassins-creed-return-it-feels-like-going-home.html

You capture quite a great point, I wish Ubisoft would actually listen to it's fanbase once and awhile.

ze_topazio
11-28-2013, 12:19 AM
The gameplay definitely needs a revolution, after so many games it really feels tired.

Shahkulu101
11-28-2013, 12:27 AM
The gameplay definitely needs a revolution, after so many games it really feels tired.

Perhaps a.... French revolution.

Anyway, I feel it is time the AC franchise introduced semi-automatic weapons.

One question: If Toronto isn't working on the next AC, then how is Jade working on it? P.S wawa-wee-wa she is hoootttt

DetroitPlaya
11-28-2013, 12:30 AM
I will be honest and say, I am up for pretty much "anything" except two things.

I. Too modern an assassin. Which they luckily already said won't happen; people will have to settle with Watch_Dogs for anything like that.
II. Zombies. I never liked zombies, never will. I realise this luckily is also very unlikely, BUT someone from the team did defend that it was actually possible, if they drew in some voodoo lore.

Besides that... Yeah, I won't be negative. I do hope they actually use Aita's blood for something in AC V, and not just have it in the air for 3 games and suddenly be like "Oh yeah.. We finally looked at the blood samples.. There's some interesting memories in there.."

Also, I assume Aita "took care of" Olivier

Rugterwyper32
11-28-2013, 12:35 AM
I avoided reading most posts up to here, as I wanted to enter the Future AC Titles topic but ended up here and I saw potential spoilers. Anyway, this gave me an idea of what could be seen, though I can't say much beyond that. So what do I think could happen?
Finally, good horses. After seeing how successful the Caribbean is for freeroam, there's no doubt the open world element of the series is one people really like. So if it's going back to land, I can see them finally getting the idea of how to combine horses with nature and create the best possible open hub location so far. Say they went for the Long War around Prague, Vienna, Budapest and whatnot. If you combine good horse riding and combat, plus lots to actually do around the Alps, the Carpathian Mountains, the central Bohemian lowlands, the Transdanubian Mountains and lots of small towns and villages around them, I think there'd be something going for it. A fun world to explore, with elements taken from this: You could find smuggler caves with small freerunning puzzles, there'd be hunting, equivalents of plantations, probably some nice castles here and there, and so on. Once you've figured out good horse riding and a nice hub area between cities that you feel like wandering about, what you have is basically what the Kingdom in AC1 could have been but wasn't.

MnemonicSyntax
11-28-2013, 12:42 AM
If we get horses again, all I ask is they don't effin' follow you. If you have a horse whistle, WHY do they need to follow you once you get off? Lame.

DetroitPlaya
11-28-2013, 12:45 AM
I want to ride elephants.

Make it happen.

RoBg03
11-28-2013, 12:46 AM
i hope they don't put too much emphasis on the modern day....and i really hope they don't make the next game based in modern times. i wouldn't be surprised to see them incorporate more multiplayer/online features. maybe have missions in the campaign that can be, or need to be completed with the help of other players. don't think i would care for that but i wouldn't be surprised...everybody seems to want us to be connected all the time any more anyways.

MnemonicSyntax
11-28-2013, 12:46 AM
If they don't follow you, then I'm down for that too.

Unless, you know, elephant whistle. Make it happen.

Shahkulu101
11-28-2013, 12:49 AM
I want to ride elephants.

Make it happen.

Yes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_war_elephants

ze_topazio
11-28-2013, 12:56 AM
I want to ride donkeys and mules.

and a tiger.

Shahkulu101
11-28-2013, 12:59 AM
I want to do paul Revere's ride on a sabertooth tiger

Wolfmeister1010
11-28-2013, 01:00 AM
I want to do paul Revere's ride on a sabertooth tiger

I want to make paul reveres head a figurehead for my jackdaw

ze_topazio
11-28-2013, 01:01 AM
I want to kill Paul Revere.

Shahkulu101
11-28-2013, 01:13 AM
I want to make paul reveres head a figurehead for my jackdaw

Amazing 10/10

- Makes ambiguous remark that could refer to either admiration or hatred
- Great use of imagery/connotations
- helped Shahkulu with his studying of English

MnemonicSyntax
11-28-2013, 01:15 AM
I want a steak for my figurehead. That you can eat. 15 minutes worth of cut scenes, and customization options for it too. The type of steak, the cut, how it's cooked, and of course, the sauce.

Customization!

Landruner
11-28-2013, 01:28 AM
What's Up?!;)

Next AC? Future? Well, even if the new character(s) is/are doing some side activities (Pirate, gangster, Cowboy or factory machinist?) UBI 's dev 's teams need to focus more on the assassin gameplay with some deeper concepts like some explained in a lot of different threads over the past weeks, reviewing the balance in the combat system.... & (Perhaps better story as well) that could be a nice start...

DarktheMagister
11-28-2013, 01:30 AM
I will now copy my previous post explaining my thought on this:

I'm still thinking AC5 will be the British Raj.

Its got a lot of things going for it that they've already worked on:
jungle environments
huntable animals
impressive architecture
ruins
heavily populated cities
a large gap between rich and poor
a proper setting for naval combat
the ability to reuse Red Coat enemies again
black powder level technology so they can keep guns
piracy
AND an oppressive military regime.

Not to mention.... if it's in India.... RIDEABLE ELEPHANTS.

DarktheMagister
11-28-2013, 01:33 AM
What's Up?!;)

Next AC? Future? Well, even if the new character(s) is/are doing some side activities (Pirate, gangster, Cowboy or factory machinist?) UBI 's dev 's teams need to focus more on the assassin gameplay with some deeper concepts like some explained in a lot of different threads over the past weeks, reviewing the balance in the combat system.... & (Perhaps better story as well) that could be a nice start...

Seeing as how you're supposed to focus on stealth... I would like it if they made confrontation combat a bit more relentless. Allow the counter chains but make the timing required more precise and make the guard AI less stupid so they stop bombing eachother and killing themselves.

Rugterwyper32
11-28-2013, 01:35 AM
If they don't follow you, then I'm down for that too.

Unless, you know, elephant whistle. Make it happen.

Can you imagine being followed by your elephant, though? I don't know about you, but I think that seeing how horses act when following you in previous games, chances are you'd be squashed by it.

Shahkulu101
11-28-2013, 01:40 AM
Can you imagine being followed by your elephant, though? I don't know about you, but I think that seeing how horses act when following you in previous games, chances are you'd be squashed by it.

Not if they mo-cap the elephant A.I, shouldn't be too difficuilt - you know to cover 5 ton beast head/trunk to toe in spandex and little white balls. They could even install the facial capture camera on it's trunk, with a peanut just above the lens.

A request: perhaps you could use your vast knowledge of history to assess the possibility of an elephant based AC.

Wolfmeister1010
11-28-2013, 02:19 AM
Amazing 10/10

- Makes ambiguous remark that could refer to either admiration or hatred
- Great use of imagery/connotations
- helped Shahkulu with his studying of English

Lol what??

Shahkulu101
11-28-2013, 02:23 AM
Lol what??

A review on your joke, that is what. You should be honored.

adventurewomen
11-28-2013, 02:27 AM
I haven't even finished playing AC4 yet.. let me catch up Wolf. ;)

Rugterwyper32
11-28-2013, 02:29 AM
Not if they mo-cap the elephant A.I, shouldn't be too difficuilt - you know to cover 5 ton beast head/trunk to toe in spandex and little white balls. They could even install the facial capture camera on it's trunk, with a peanut just above the lens.

A request: perhaps you could use your vast knowledge of history to assess the possibility of an elephant based AC.

You flatter me with your kind words, friend.
It's not really that much vast knowledge of history though it's just me researching stuff around for fun. Anyway, I was wondering about that and I decided to do a little research regarding it, and I found out a few places where it could be an option, though I can imagine one will sound more interesting than the other. On one hand, we have the Punic Wars, though we'd be back to Italy and Europe there (even though doing like Hannibal did and crossing the Alps with an elephant would be nothing short of impressive). OR. The Mongol Invasions of India and maybe Vietnam. Elephants were good times for the Mongols, you know, making their day a whole lot more interesting. Which is to say, they messed them up. Until they started using siege machines on them. And showering arrows, 300 style.
I can't help but to laugh at what happened in Timur a century later, though. "1398 Timur's army faced more than one hundred Indian elephants in battle and almost lost because of the fear they caused amongst his troops. Historical accounts say that the Timurids ultimately won by employing an ingenious strategy: Timur tied flaming straw to the back of his camels before the charge. The smoke made the camels run forward, scaring the elephants, who crushed their own troops in their efforts to retreat."
Well, turns out having that many elephants backfired badly.

Wolfmeister1010
11-28-2013, 02:31 AM
I haven't even finished playing AC4 yet.. let me catch up Wolf. ;)

You have 1 moon cycle

Shahkulu101
11-28-2013, 02:33 AM
You flatter me with your kind words, friend.
It's not really that much vast knowledge of history though it's just me researching stuff around for fun. Anyway, I was wondering about that and I decided to do a little research regarding it, and I found out a few places where it could be an option, though I can imagine one will sound more interesting than the other. On one hand, we have the Punic Wars, though we'd be back to Italy and Europe there (even though doing like Hannibal did and crossing the Alps with an elephant would be nothing short of impressive). OR. The Mongol Invasions of India and maybe Vietnam. Elephants were good times for the Mongols, you know, making their day a whole lot more interesting. Which is to say, they messed them up. Until they started using siege machines on them. And showering arrows, 300 style.
I can't help but to laugh at what happened in Timur a century later, though. "1398 Timur's army faced more than one hundred Indian elephants in battle and almost lost because of the fear they caused amongst his troops. Historical accounts say that the Timurids ultimately won by employing an ingenious strategy: Timur tied flaming straw to the back of his camels before the charge. The smoke made the camels run forward, scaring the elephants, who crushed their own troops in their efforts to retreat."
Well, turns out having that many elephants backfired badly.

Interesting, I would totally be up for a Mongolian AC.

And lol, some things are just too funny. Ingenious tactic though - well done to them.

Shahkulu101
11-28-2013, 02:34 AM
You have 1 moon cycle

7/10 good

- Clever reference to ones own online psuedonym.

Wolfmeister1010
11-28-2013, 02:37 AM
7/10 good

- Clever reference to ones own online psuedonym.

Okay thats enough

Landruner
11-28-2013, 02:40 AM
Seeing as how you're supposed to focus on stealth... I would like it if they made confrontation combat a bit more relentless. Allow the counter chains but make the timing required more precise and make the guard AI less stupid so they stop bombing eachother and killing themselves.

We had some previous discussion with some friends there about it to balance between Stealth (environment) & Social Stealth - For the fighting I believe that Counter should be set that it wounds the foe like 60% wound or 40% kill only variable and depending of the character level and progression level - Chain kill could be controller by a stamina (sort of) like if your start one well you can't do a second one, since you character is tried. AI totally needs to be improved, I agree with you -

I was also thinking about using the counter block slow motion they introduced since ACR, keep it and improving it for letting the player try to set an impact point of a body part of the foe he counters....(Shoulder, legs arms, chest, and neck and head for a lethal hit) the all idea being that if your character is "tired" and stamina low, the parameter for an impact will go for a wound, if stamina is higher parameter open more possibility to set a lethal hit.

Shahkulu101
11-28-2013, 02:40 AM
Okay thats enough

0/10 indescribably awful

- overly severe clamping down on charasmatic, valued and charming member of the forum

Sushiglutton
11-28-2013, 02:46 AM
I'm thinking more types of enviroments to explore in new ways. For example AC4 introduced underwater swimming. I would love to see that being implemented seamlessly in the open world. That could give you alternative routes into fortresses as you enter some pipe and then climb up the well. They could also do a lot more with animal. For exmaple they could do the best horse mechanics ever in gaming (Cossack game :)! ). Elephants as some suggested could also be cool. Imagine synchronizing the map by clibing a giraffe!

Sand is kind of neat as shown in Uncharted. An Egypt game with lots of realistic sand simulations could be awesome. Then they could do more with fire like being able to burn some things down by using say a kerosene bomb or whatever.

Anyway what I'm trying to say is that I don't think they need to go back. I think they should go nuts :)! There are so many exciting enviroments and settings yet to explore!

Wolfmeister1010
11-28-2013, 02:49 AM
I'm thinking more types of enviroments to explore in new ways. For example AC4 introduced underwater swimming. I would love to see that being implemented seamlessly in the open world. That could give you alternative routes into fortresses as you enter some pipe and then climb up the well. They could also do a lot more with animal. For exmaple they could do the best horse mechanics ever in gaming (Cossack game :)! ). Elephants as some suggested could also be cool. Imagine synchronizing the map by clibing a giraffe!

Sand is kind of neat as shown in Uncharted. An Egypt game with lots of realistic sand simulations could be awesome. Then they could do more with fire like being able to burn some things down by using say a kerosene bomb or whatever.

Anyway what I'm trying to say is that I don't think they need to go back. I think they should go nuts :)! There are so many exciting enviroments and settings yet to explore!
In AC5, I will be looking for more interactable environments, like more destructible objects, more snow, stuff like that. Maybe in Ac5 the water will actually react when you shoot it with a gun

But I actually would not mind ancient Egypt AC game, as long as the architecture is good for parkour

adventurewomen
11-28-2013, 02:53 AM
You have 1 moon cycle
Noted, and I will make sure that I finish AC4 before that Moon cycle finishes.

The significance, of the future. :)

Sushiglutton
11-28-2013, 02:53 AM
In AC5, I will be looking for more interactable environments, like more destructible objects, more snow, stuff like that. Maybe in Ac5 the water will actually react when you shoot it with a gun

Yeah more interactive enviroments is def the name of the game for next gen (I hope). I think we are in for a treat. The shooting mechanics are obviously not anywhere near as good as for a proper TPS. But as this was the first attempt they can only get better. More realistic reactions to bullets for both enemies and the enviroment would be most welcome.

Shahkulu101
11-28-2013, 02:54 AM
I want the option to pick up random objects, whether it be a bottle, rock, cats etc. and use them as distractions to lure guards from your path or makeshift throwable weapons. I've wanted this for days, months and years.

Sigv4rd
11-28-2013, 03:07 AM
It's hard to say what the "gimmick" will be without knowing what the setting will be, but I would love to see the "gimmick" be the Core gameplay being reworked and improved. And marketed as "A True Assassin's Creed Experience!" that would be great...
Otherwise:

-Underwater gameplay should remain a permanent addition to the gameplay, similar to the way it was implemented in the smuggler caves.
-While nothing will ever replace the exact feel of ship boarding, I would like to see the "Horizon System" AKA random encounters return. Also having a spyglass to identify targets from a distance was cool.
-I think Naval gameplay can still remain, just not for freeroam or side missions. Perhaps segments in which the player is on board a ship but not at the helm?

tinrisky
11-28-2013, 03:16 AM
i wish assassins creed multiplayer is like gta v multiplayer. just imagine random assassins walking the streets running through buildings. then you could do assassin contracts together or whatevs

MnemonicSyntax
11-28-2013, 03:20 AM
i wish assassins creed multiplayer is like gta v multiplayer. just imagine random assassins walking the streets running through buildings. then you could do assassin contracts together or whatevs

I thought Wolfpack Mode did this in Multiplayer.

Wolfmeister1010
11-28-2013, 03:22 AM
I want the option to pick up random objects, whether it be a bottle, rock, cats etc. and use them as distractions to lure guards from your path or makeshift throwable weapons. I've wanted this for days, months and years.

Yeah they should bring over the throw rock feature from Far cry 3. They could use the aiming system used in revelations for bombs.

Shahkulu101
11-28-2013, 03:28 AM
Yeah they should bring over the throw rock feature from Far cry 3. They could use the aiming system used in revelations for bombs.

I didn't like that there were an infinite supply of rocks in FC3, I'd much rather look for an assortment of possible objects to use that we can find in the setting/ mission layout. And make them relatively scarce, so as to avoid complete OP'ness and encourage mini-exploration using stealth elements - like CROUCHING. Agree with the free aim, don't how many times I wanted to arch throw a smoke bomb to a bell, take out a few guards with the sleep dart, run into the smoke to disable the bell and disappear back into the stalking zone.

Landruner
11-28-2013, 03:28 AM

Remember the broom and the fight with them in the Ezio's games? ;) Actually, it will be funny to use cats or dogs for creating diversion while in social stealth, (Seriously why not)

Shahkulu101
11-28-2013, 03:34 AM
Remember the broom and the fight with them in the Ezio's games? ;) Actually, it will be funny to use cats or dogs for creating diversion while in social stealth, (Seriously why not)

Lol, exactly why not? Seems more effective than throw money anyway. ' Create diversions with adorable domestic animals to take enemies out as they pet the kitty kat/dog, kill them afterwards to craft a larger animal holster' The animal holster will take the blowpipes place as the distracting object on the protagonists back.

Rugterwyper32
11-28-2013, 03:55 AM
Lol, exactly why not? Seems more effective than throw money anyway. ' Create diversions with adorable domestic animals to take enemies out as they pet the kitty kat/dog, kill them afterwards to craft a larger animal holster' The animal holster will take the blowpipes place as the distracting object on the protagonists back.

Let's all remember Stephen King's Sleepwalkers and how cat scratches set werecats on fire. Why stop at werecats?! Set everything on fire with cat scratches!
How satisfying would that be

Landruner
11-28-2013, 04:55 AM

You want to know something funny? - A few months ago someone suggested the following - If you have Jungles in AC4, why not try to put some "badazz" weapons such as take a snake and put it in an empty bottle (since you find bottle on the islands) and then use it either as a diversion bomb or a lethal bomb depending on the type of snake you picked up. It will have been better for the fun and the gameplay to see those guards or foes panicking in front of the snakes or just die from a bite. Imagine the guards trying to rescue their friend who got bit - it gives to the players to pass their way around or stabbing them while rescuing their dying buddy -
Same ideas with spiders and tropical bee's nests from the threes in the jungle - Imagine the vicious combo in trying to shoot with the blowpipe a nest full on angry bees sets just above some guards in the jungle, and then the nest falls in the middle of them bellow, and you can watch them panicking and suffering, or you can make your way around and pass, or just take advantage and kill them all. Cool, nice, funny vicious, but silently smart and efficient.
Same type of nests could have been used in the cities at well in some strategic point of the cities or some plantations.
Alas, no one listened....:rolleyes:

flamesium
12-04-2013, 06:06 PM
Yeah I think it's time to head back to a major city based AC. They've taken a break from that for a couple of games now and given it the rest it needed, but now it's time to go back. The new consoles offer the perfect opportunity to overhaul the basics of the gameplay as well. All of that stuff from traversal to combat needs freshening up.

If they want to continue the 'Pirate's Creed' style of game as well, I think it's proven popular enough that they can do it as its own thing - they don't necessarily need to shove ship combat into the next 'proper' AC game as well. If they do want to produce seperate city-based AC and ship-based AC games going forward, (which I think would make a lot of sense and help prevent people getting tired of one or the other) the French Revolution > Napoleonic Wars era, which the Kenway line is leading into nicely anyway, gives them the perfect opportunity to do so. With the British and French fighting both in Europe and overseas, they could easily keep the two styles of game distinct from each other while keeping them loosely linked narratively.

This era is absolutely perfect for AC, with London and Paris in their pomp and the new consoles now able to do those cities justice. A bustling crowd should finally be able to be a bustling crowd, rather than a handful of people scattered around. If you think back to how they were pitching Assassin's Creed before even the first game came out, that idea of the crowd as an important part of the game was a big deal.

MnemonicSyntax
12-04-2013, 06:36 PM
Yeah I think it's time to head back to a major city based AC. They've taken a break from that for a couple of games now and given it the rest it needed, but now it's time to go back. The new consoles offer the perfect opportunity to overhaul the basics of the gameplay as well. All of that stuff from traversal to combat needs freshening up.

If they want to continue the 'Pirate's Creed' style of game as well, I think it's proven popular enough that they can do it as its own thing - they don't necessarily need to shove ship combat into the next 'proper' AC game as well. If they do want to produce seperate city-based AC and ship-based AC games going forward, (which I think would make a lot of sense and help prevent people getting tired of one or the other) the French Revolution > Napoleonic Wars era, which the Kenway line is leading into nicely anyway, gives them the perfect opportunity to do so. With the British and French fighting both in Europe and overseas, they could easily keep the two styles of game distinct from each other while keeping them loosely linked narratively.

This era is absolutely perfect for AC, with London and Paris in their pomp and the new consoles now able to do those cities justice. A bustling crowd should finally be able to be a bustling crowd, rather than a handful of people scattered around. If you think back to how they were pitching Assassin's Creed before even the first game came out, that idea of the crowd as an important part of the game was a big deal.

Problem with this is, I'm fairly sure that the next AC will also have the PS3/360 players in mind.

dxsxhxcx
12-04-2013, 08:55 PM
while everything Ubisoft continue to deliver be gimmicks, I doubt we'll see this series "rejuvenate" or go anywhere near to its golden age (AC1/2) without the "help" of distractions like the naval gameplay in AC4, AC4 only got away because the naval gameplay was big enough to stand on its own and distract us from the (like you said) tiring land based sequences, the problem is that I don't think there are many more artifices that could be used as a distraction to continue delivering (or pretending to deliver) a "fresh" experience from now on.

What they need is time to revamp the whole thing and properly work on the core mechanics of the franchise to make what we have (the core) good enough to don't make the use of "gimmicks" a necessity to mask the underdeveloped core gameplay, but if they continue to burn out every single improvement they make releasing it by pieces to fit their current business model, this certainly won't happen any time soon...

LoyalACFan
12-04-2013, 09:38 PM
Problem with this is, I'm fairly sure that the next AC will also have the PS3/360 players in mind.

Most likely, but they'll no doubt be focusing primarily on next-gen. I can see the PS3-360 versions being significantly inferior next year.

Landruner
12-04-2013, 10:09 PM
while everything Ubisoft continue to deliver be gimmicks, I doubt we'll see this series "rejuvenate" or go anywhere near to its golden age (AC1/2) without the "help" of distractions like the naval gameplay in AC4, AC4 only got away because the naval gameplay was big enough to stand on its own and distract us from the (like you said) tiring land based sequences, the poblem is that I don't think there are many more artifices that could be used as a distraction to continue delivering (or pretending to deliver) a "fresh" experience from now on.

What they need is time to revamp the whole thing and properly work on the core mechanics of the franchise to make what we have (the core) good enough to don't make the use of "gimmicks" a necessity to mask the underdeveloped core gameplay, but if they continue to burn out every single improvement they make releasing it by pieces to fit their current business model, this certainly won't happen any time soon...

I see what you try to say above, and I understand you as well - If the gameplay for the Assassin core stay the same and resumed to annoying and inspirited tailing missions, moronic AI, and lese... the franchise is going to its death whatever any new time period or additional fun gameplay they may add (AC4's biggest hits and selling points were the Pirate gameplay, not really for the Assassin Parts of the game) - for next AC unless they come with another bit as a selling point like the pirate theme, well it is not the assassin gameplay like it is that can rescue it.

However; I still stay optimistic and I am sure someone there from his sliver tower inside the Ubisoft Castle is considering that something has to change because as a rule of success you don't kill your best asset.

Unless now, all Ubisoft's bets are now focused in exploiting the same way they did for AC another franchise such as Watch Dog?

dxsxhxcx
12-04-2013, 11:55 PM
I see what you try to say above, and I understand you as well - If the gameplay for the Assassin core stay the same and resumed to annoying and inspirited tailing missions, moronic AI, and lese... the franchise is going to its death whatever any new time period or additional fun gameplay they may add (AC4's biggest hits and selling points were the Pirate gameplay, not really for the Assassin Parts of the game) - for next AC unless they come with another bit as a selling point like the pirate theme, well it is not the assassin gameplay like it is that can rescue it.

what I said is exactly the opposite, if they continue to add these "bits" (I don't know if 60~70% of a game can be called this way) putting more focus on it than on the core gameplay, eventually they won't have anywhere to run, and then they'll realize the core gameplay at its current state won't be enough and will just put this franchise to rest since they won't have time to fix what they should've fixed a long time ago...

Unless now, all Ubisoft's bets are now focused in exploiting the same way they did for AC another franchise such as Watch Dog?

while I believe WD will be a success,I don't think it'll be as acclaimed as AC is/was, other than the hacking, it doesn't seem to bring anything new to the table, Assassin's Creed IMO added a new layer to story-telling by adding real events to the equation and trying to make the story as a whole as believable as possible, a shame some of this (IMO) got lost along the way in favour of please the masses and quick profit