PDA

View Full Version : Duel of Champions 3rd on Forbes 'Best Digital Card Games of 2013' list

ManlyMantonio
11-26-2013, 07:58 PM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/danieltack/2013/11/26/the-best-digital-card-games-of-2013/

Not too shabby! I am not sure how Hearthstone can be #1 when it is not even out yet, however.

budynzmajonezem
11-26-2013, 08:28 PM
Hearthstone first, pls...

del170109032657
11-26-2013, 09:15 PM
Proud to see us on that list. Wonder if they've tried the Altar of Wishes yet... hmmm...

Five Towers comes out soon! We'll keep trying our hardest to improve our game and keep climbing that list. Stay tuned for more awesomeness :)

Mormekill
11-26-2013, 09:48 PM
Hearthstone first, pls...

And Magic the Gathering second... Hearthstone I can understand, but having MtG on that list is unfair to the other games.

Iciclewind
11-26-2013, 09:49 PM
Judging from the image there is a good chance they are not even aware of the existence of Altar of Wishes *kappa*

Blitz556
11-26-2013, 09:56 PM
Congratulations! :)

roanranger
11-26-2013, 10:15 PM
Judging from the image there is a good chance they are not even aware of the existence of Altar of Wishes *kappa*

Nope, they didn't play long enough to unlock it it seems, I guess he got the TItan from an Emilio's pack and not a FW pack. Kind of a strange way to rank games if that's all they played them for.

Then again, DoC doesn't have the most streamlined messaging system, like a new player has no idea what wildcards / altar of wishes are until you suddenly get your first wildcard, then it's pretty clear. But getting that first wildcard isn't a streamlined process at all (like if it was a campaign reward say) with just a few achievements awarding it and a getting it from the 'right' pack.

Now, Hearthstone has iterated on their crafting system UI for the same reason (a lot of new players can't find it) so on-boarding players isn't an easy task by any means, just saying Altar of Wishes is kind of obfuscated.

Aza404
11-26-2013, 11:07 PM
As far as I'm concerned, MTG has been out for years and HearthStone is not technically out yet... So DOC is first ;)

Lionthrone
11-27-2013, 05:31 AM
Thanks for posting the article, OP. I'm new to DoC and as much I enjoy it, I like having visibility to the alternatives out there.

Not that I want to leave DoC, but I hope the devs can fix some of the more glaring issues quickly to give us less incentive to jump ship.

Psychobabble.au
11-27-2013, 06:08 AM
well, imo magic is in a different league to the others on that list - it's a full digital objects recreation of the TCG experience (trading, secondary market, thousand dollar decks etc.), and the underlying TCG is also on another level of complexity to the all of the others. And as you say, Hex isn't out yet so yeah, it's pretty fair to say that DOC is #1 :).

The rest of the competition isn't that scary (yet) though - Solforge is VERY bare bones (and I don't like the underlying game, but that's another topic of conversation), Hex just seems awful in its current state and I'm completely turned off it by the MMO-style elements and the other two on that list don't seem very far down the path of development either. What I find hilarious though is that Shadow Era doesn't even make that list... it's so far off the radar that it might as well not exist by now, unfortunately.

Adderdin
11-27-2013, 08:25 AM
As far as I'm concerned, MTG has been out for years and HearthStone is not technically out yet... So DOC is first ;)

Mkay, lets use that strange logic again aaand - Duel of Champions isnt technicaly out yet because it is still in BETA (http://might-and-magic.ubi.com/universe/en-US/games/all-games/) so it also shouldnt be on that list.

DanielKurzempa
11-27-2013, 09:33 AM

DoC is on 3rd place deservedly because UBI did not do anything to tell the world that there is an option to buy the missing card.
About crafting in HS everyone knows, even those who did not play.
About Altar of Wishes in DoC knows only a handful of players and outside players no one heard of it.
UBI I beg you do finally update game page on information about Altar of Wishes.

Vengyre
11-27-2013, 10:24 AM
Not bad. I have to admit, this game improved a lot since summer. I thought it'll die to Hearthstone soon, but Ubi did a good work with the latest expansion and balancing. Of course, there are still many things to do (ONE CARD IN MULTIPLE DECKS!!!).

iceblaze9320
11-27-2013, 02:14 PM
Hearthstone first place? Really? Did they even try out the games on the list? I played HS in the past 3 weeks and i had more fun with DotP back in the day.

Adderdin
11-27-2013, 03:01 PM

Rest of the Ubisoft representatives are simply humble and are proud to be on that list, but you seem to want to bring Hearthstone and MGT to the discussion...

How does it feel to be behind a game that has been out for years and the game that as you say "is not technically out yet" and apparently has more players in it not to mention that it has more publicity, already had a pretty successful tournament (final game watched by over 100000 people), milions of views on youtube and a twitch?

And lets not live in denial, DoC is still in BETA as your webpage mentions, so techically its also not out yet.

LuziferXYZ
11-27-2013, 03:18 PM
Rest of the Ubisoft representatives are simply humble and are proud to be on that list, but you seem to want to bring Hearthstone and MGT to the discussion...

How does it feel to be behind a game that has been out for years and the game that as you say "is not technically out yet" and apparently has more players in it not to mention that it has more publicity, already had a pretty successful tournament (final game watched by over 100000 people), milions of views on youtube and a twitch?

And lets not live in denial, DoC is still in BETA as your webpage mentions, so techically its also not out yet.
Let me guess, your beloved child HS was named in a unfavorable light and you were so sad about it that you had to comment Azas post twice? xD

tententai
11-27-2013, 10:36 PM
But what's this guy credibility ? Forbes is a serious paper but not when it comes to gaming :-)

HS first for hype maybe, putting it before MTG is an insult, it's portal for dummies.

S0YxSauCe
11-27-2013, 11:23 PM
rofl if anything yugioh should be the first, duel of champion second, third cardfight vanguard(this game is so much complexity) and 4rd pokemon tcg......

yugioh will always be the top seller.. ******ss world record holder

Psychobabble.au
11-27-2013, 11:28 PM
I don't think this game is in beta anymore, I think that image you linked is just old (it's not actually the official site of the game, it's a broader Ubisoft site). At around the time of the north american launch (~May this year) they removed all of the beta messaging from the official site and in-game, where it had previously been. There is no indiciation anywhere on the official site or in-game that this is a beta:

www.duelofchampions.com

In any event, you must realise that there's an enormous difference between an open beta (even if that's what mmdoc is in) and a closed beta which is where Hearthstone is. Closed beta products haven't been released to the public at large, while mmdoc clearly has.

Plus, the fact that a blizzard backed game is popular will surprise no one. And yet the fact that blizzard games are popular doesn't mean no one else makes games in their genres any more. There's plenty of room in the marketplace for both titles, in fact I'm positive hearthstone will grow the genre overall and give games like this more potential customers.

@soysauce do yugio, pokemon and vanguard even have proper digital versions? I'm honestly not sure. Either way, MTG is vastly bigger than any of them (12m+ active players worldwide or something?) so if we're just going on numbers, that wins.

LuziferXYZ
11-28-2013, 12:15 AM
do yugio, pokemon and vanguard even have proper digital versions? I'm honestly not sure. Either way, MTG is vastly bigger than any of them (12m+ active players worldwide or something?) so if we're just going on numbers, that wins.
They have (well, I am not sure about vanguard because it is relativly new), but as far as I now all of them are fan-made and not from the publisher (or whatever Konami etc. is called).

Psychobabble.au
11-28-2013, 12:42 AM
yeah, stuff like cocatrice or workstation or whatever totally don't count. I'm assuming none of them enforce the game rules which is a bare minimum for a proper product.

historicmuffin
11-28-2013, 12:58 AM
What I find hilarious though is that Shadow Era doesn't even make that list... it's so far off the radar that it might as well not exist by now, unfortunately.

I remember seeing TotalBiscuit do a WTF is of that game. After Blizzcon he promised a review of most of the new games which have hit Steam recently - fingers crossed DoC is on that list.

Fidozor
11-28-2013, 01:10 AM
wow is HS really that good?

I watched quite a bit of it on stream and it looked okay but pretty simplistic as far as strategy goes and the card art looked pretty meh. It does have a much cleaner interface but still....

WarlordThuran
11-28-2013, 02:19 AM
I really really don't understand how heartstone can be placed above MtG. While the core game is a question of taste (i prefer mtg for the depth it has compared to heartstone), that is not taking into account the sheer amount of replayability and game modes, as well as constant support for the game. It's still the standard by which all other games must be measured and should easily get the 1st place.

As for heartstone vs duels. Well, heartstone isn't even out yet, and heartstone is pretty much the same game as duels, except that duels relies a lot more on strategic thinking as the positions of cards matter, which is largely unimportant in heartstone. Otherwise; both games uses the same resource system, both games have heroes (where duels got more variation). Now, I would love a draft mode for duels, which heart sorts with the arena, but that is a matter of taste.'

Overall, between the two games, I would prolly rate heartstone above duels though, as duels is a more gruelling entry for new players and it's hard to get hooked when you are stuck on 1-2 decks initially as opposed to the 8 decks right out of the gate that you get from heartstone, so it provides the better intro experience, even if i prefer the actual gameplay of duels, but the problem is getting there. (oh, and for those about to counterargue mtg, the planeswalker cards you start with, are more than a solid basis for almost as many decks as you want, so mtg sorts that without imposing hero limits.)

roanranger
11-28-2013, 02:19 AM
Plus, the fact that a blizzard backed game is popular will surprise no one. And yet the fact that blizzard games are popular doesn't mean no one else makes games in their genres any more. There's plenty of room in the marketplace for both titles, in fact I'm positive hearthstone will grow the genre overall and give games like this more potential customers.

I definitely feel this way. At least on Twitch I'm seeing ads for the new MTG left and right. So the genre as a whole seems to be on an upswing popularity-wise.

That's not to mention the horrible, horrible mobile card "games*" which are consistently top-earners in the AppStore now.

* Can you call it a game when combat happens automatically?