PDA

View Full Version : I want to play a game around the templar point of view

tymaster50
11-24-2013, 05:12 PM
Show us their reasoning and ideals, not just "lol its bad", they were doing something right with Haytham in AC3. everything is black and white, no gray area. I want a gray area. And I know you play as a templar in modern story AC4 but I want to play as one of their historical figures, or Assassin converted to templar

DetroitPlaya
11-24-2013, 05:19 PM
I don't think gameplay-wise it would be very interesting. Haytham had assassin training as a child, so he's a great fighter - the others.. Not so much (to me).

And I don't want them to suddenly make more assassins betray their creed just to have a game playing as a templar. I'm fine with more reasoning/back-story, though - but I feel they have explained it quite well so far.

Also, you don't play as a templar in AC IV.. You aren't automatically a templar just because you are hired at one of their companies.

TheArcaneEagle
11-24-2013, 05:20 PM
Yeah me too, would be very interesting but I feel it would go against all the other games and the franchise it self being about Assassin's and their Creed. I think playing as Haytham in AC3 was enough to be honest.

MnemonicSyntax
11-24-2013, 05:20 PM
No, you don't play as a Templar in the modern day stuff. Even Oliver (sp?) and Melanie aren't Templars, at least Melanie for sure. They work for Abstergo, but don't know what's going on in the background.

The always logical DetroitPlaya beat me to it! Whoops!

Rugterwyper32
11-24-2013, 05:21 PM
What I'd like to see is the opposite of the last option you mentioned, actually. We've seen a decent amount of greyness with AC1 and AC3 to understand that what they wanted is good, and they believed it was the right cause, and we've already had many assassins turned templars during the series. But we haven't seen a templar properly disillusioned with his cause, and I think that would be an interesting turn: Play as a templar for some time and see that templar turn into an assassin as the game progresses. That would be fun.

Hans684
11-24-2013, 05:25 PM
AC2 and ACB are the most black(Templars) and white(Assassins) AC games but i do like the idea. It would be funn if they hade made a AC game where we play an assassin turned/converted templar and a black(assassins) and white(templars) story where the templars are the good guys.

tymaster50
11-24-2013, 05:50 PM
I played every main game and it just feels like the Templars are meant to be evil without much motivation to their cause. How do they recruit people when they are so obviously evil? There has to be something behind it.

DetroitPlaya
11-24-2013, 05:59 PM
I played every main game and it just feels like the Templars are meant to be evil without much motivation to their cause. How do they recruit people when they are so obviously evil? There has to be something behind it.

People are drawn to power. :) AC III talked a lot about how the creed and the order are similar on some parts, and why the Templars have a different approach to reaching their goal. So does the other titles for that matter.

Also, the games really does explain motivation - plus there's books you can read. AC: Forsaken (http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Assassin's_Creed:_Forsaken) should be something you enjoy.

tymaster50
11-24-2013, 06:04 PM
Does Haythams beginning life remind anyone of Star Wars The Force Unleashed?

Hatham and Marik were both trained by Jedi (Assassins), their father was killed and then they were taken in by the Sith (templars), they become a sith (templar) xD

adventurewomen
11-24-2013, 06:08 PM
Haytham focused story would be the best for Templar game. :)

AssassinHMS
11-24-2013, 06:32 PM
I don't think gameplay-wise it would be very interesting. Haytham had assassin training as a child, so he's a great fighter - the others.. Not so much (to me).

Perhaps there are other Templars who had proper training and that have good combat skills. The only “problems” I see are:
- The absence of the hidden blade (unless the Templar got in possession of one somehow);
- The parkour skills (unless the Templar was trained in the assassin way for some reason). Then again, soldiers know how to parkour as well as an assassin and Ezio, Connor and Edward have assassin skills without any training whatsoever. However I don’t think this is a good excuse as I find these points to be mistakes on Ubisoft’s part.
Now, as DetroitPlaya said, Assassins are, usually, better warriors than Templars. Fortunately, a difficult combat system would be great for AC. The current combat system is a joke. It’s not even combat, it’s a cheap way to display violence through, easy to trigger mini cutscenes, where we see the assassin make some Hollywood action stunts. It’s pathetic.
This is a chance to make a real combat system that suits the Templar’s combat skills.

I also think this game, where we play as a Templar, should focus more on spying, on investigations and on acting behind the scenes like Templars do, and less on direct conflicts. For example, Templars motto is to get the powerful on their side, to get in control of every economy sector and create a web of deceit and corruption around the city.
This could translate, in terms of gameplay, in side missions where the player can choose to side with illegal businesses in exchange for Templar influence and constant income. This partnership would require the Templar to deal with people who tried to take down the company or rivals that would try to compete. These “problems” could happen from time to time and work as an “infinite” amount of side missions.
The Templars usually don’t face their targets directly and would rather turn the city against them or dispatch someone to do their “dirty” work. In the same way, instead of assassination missions, we would have missions where our goal is to make someone else kill or do some kind of harm to our target for us (through bribes, blackmail or the use of our “influence” gained by doing favors for “important” people). Now, this wouldn’t be a simple mission like “Go to this guy and give him 5 bucks to kill the assassin.” These missions would involve threatening, in case the person refused to do our biding (like killing one of their relatives to show that we mean business) or calling a fellow member to poison a meal and have some kid deliver it to the unaware assassin, or plant it in the target’s house and watch him die in seconds. We could also act like “Ill Maestro” and make false charges on the assassin claiming that he is conspiring against the city and plant false documents in his house to serve as “proof” that he was indeed a traitor to the country. Then it would only be a matter of watching the wheels of society spin and attend the assassin’s public hanging.
I know the examples I gave were kind of lame but, my point is to make missions where we act more behind the scenes (like Templars) and use our influence and brain instead of the usual muscle power. Anyway, there would still be assassinations. Our Templar could start developing a more assassin-like method or, perhaps, he could act like a mix between Assassin and Templar that uses other people to do his work and make it seem legal but that also assassinates the targets that he can’t silence or that won’t be defeated so easily.

What I'd like to see is the opposite of the last option you mentioned, actually. We've seen a decent amount of greyness with AC1 and AC3 to understand that what they wanted is good, and they believed it was the right cause, and we've already had many assassins turned Templars during the series. But we haven't seen a Templar properly disillusioned with his cause, and I think that would be an interesting turn: Play as a Templar for some time and see that Templar turn into an assassin as the game progresses. That would be fun.
Yeah, I think that would be interesting. Perhaps the player could choose to either side with the Assassins or to remain a Templar according to his choices and moral decisions.
I was also thinking that, throughout the story, the protagonist would start to rely on stealth and on being a blade in the crowd and his methods would become more and more like an Assassin’s along with his perspectives and morals.

SleezeRocker
11-24-2013, 06:34 PM
Does Haythams beginning life remind anyone of Star Wars The Force Unleashed?

Hatham and Marik were both trained by Jedi (Assassins), their father was killed and then they were taken in by the Sith (templars), they become a sith (templar) xD

But then Galen turned ('canon-wise') good in the end :P lol

Anyways, I suppose it wouldn't be bad if executed correctly. The game would then be like "Father's of Understanding", "Templar's Oath" and instead of the Assassin logo in title it would have the Templar Cross or Templar Cross Sword(s) or something like that

Hans684
11-24-2013, 08:29 PM
Anyways, I suppose it wouldn't be bad if executed correctly. The game would then be like "Father's of Understanding", "Templar's Oath" and instead of the Assassin logo in title it would have the Templar Cross or Templar Cross Sword(s) or something like that

"Templar's Creed" with the Templar cross in the title.

DetroitPlaya
11-24-2013, 08:39 PM
"Templar's Creed" with the Templar cross in the title.

http://i.imgur.com/1IX6fMX.jpg

:P

TheDanteEX
11-24-2013, 08:53 PM
This was the entire point of the beginning of AC3. However, we had the unfortunate knowledge that Haytham wasn't going to be the main protagonist so a lot of people thought playing as him was just the tutorial or whatnot. The strange thing about playing as a Templar is: they have to keep assassinations, free-running and blending in the game because it's a huge part of the series; but if a Templar is just doing everything an Assassin does, then what's the point? The difference in ideology and motive is not going to change how the game functions. Am I against the idea? No. Will it keep things fresh? I don't think so. It'll be no different from playing as another new Assassin because every person, Assassin or Templar, has their own reasons for the things they do and belief.

Or how Youtube comments would put it: ITS CALLED ASSASINS CREED NOT TEMPLARS CREED THIS IS JUST LIKE PIRATES CREED ALL OVER AGAIN THIS SERIES HAS LOST ITS WAY.

Also, Black Flag is an example of a Assassin's Creed game that functions with a non-Assassin protagonist. At least for a large portion of the game.