PDA

View Full Version : Tactics for boarding ships

Thayin2012
11-24-2013, 06:36 AM
How do you guys do it?

For Frigates, I first shoot (with swivel guns) the two officers or captain if it is an objective, then I shoot the powder stores, and leap across to board. If I need to destroy the flag, I kill the required amount of soldiers, then use the lift, and destroy the flag, so I don't have to find a way back to the deck.

Men 'o War, I do the same thing, but make sure I have some smoke bombs because it is really easy to get hit repeatedly with everything going on.

Just ram Schooners, as, with the level my ship is currently, there is no point boarding them.

Also, do you think the fact that you can board a ship whilst still in conflict and repair your ship, whilst the other enemies just wait for you to finish, was a big or intended?

TheWhiteTigeRR
11-24-2013, 02:12 PM
My main concern is the crew, so in order not to loose any of my crew members, especially when it's a Man 'O War that I'm messing with, I follow several ways to avoid that for example:

You can trap ships between a land and your ship, leave the wheel and climb the enemy ship no matter how big it's, as soon as you grab it, it'll stop, if you attack from the back only the guards in the back will attack you then move on to the other parts, kill everyone, destroy all the powder barrels (if found), climb up to the scouts kill or use the first one as a human shield then use his musket to kill the other, or just do it anyway you like, destroy the flag if there's one, then go back to your ship, shoot the empty enemy ship then hold the boarding button.
There's another way similar to this, you can engage with the enemy ship, when it's damaged and is ready to be boarded don't do it just leave the wheel, swim to the enemy ship and do all the steps in the last method, then go back to your ship, don't shoot it this time otherwise you'll destroy it, just get the Jackdaw in the boarding range and press the boarding button. Note that this last method may not work in missions and objectives.

Also, do you think the fact that you can board a ship whilst still in conflict and repair your ship, whilst the other enemies just wait for you to finish, was a big or intended?

I don't understand, what do you mean by this?

Kfcrsh
11-24-2013, 06:29 PM
Mortars are a beautiful thing.

Thayin2012
11-25-2013, 06:31 AM
I don't understand, what do you mean by this?

If you're in open conflict with, say, 2 ships, and both are firing on you. If you manage to incapacitate 1 of them, you can board it and salvage it to repair your ship. If you then look across to the 2nd ship that was attacking you, you will find it patiently waiting until you're done boarding, and then it will resume attacking you. You therefore can effectively pause the battle and grab a health regenerator.

persona523
11-25-2013, 10:08 AM
Well here is what I do, JUST SHARING.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btsY3fHFn5I

SenseHomunculus
11-25-2013, 03:42 PM
I do just the opposite of you, OP (and maybe everyone else, too).

Whatever the boarding objectives are, such as killing the officers or blowing the powder stores, I always do those LAST as my goal is to rack up as many crew kills as possible, so I basically kill everyone on-board first and THEN do the objectives. It's just too much bloody fun to pass up killing all those guys! LOL I've worked my way up in the top 50 of deadliest assassins worldwide going through the ship crews and attacking the forts. I think, unlike ships, forts have unlimited enemy spawns and you could go on for hours, especially if you stand near one of the "conflict points" where your crew and the enemies always go to to fight it out.

If you're in open conflict with, say, 2 ships, and both are firing on you. If you manage to incapacitate 1 of them, you can board it and salvage it to repair your ship. If you then look across to the 2nd ship that was attacking you, you will find it patiently waiting until you're done boarding, and then it will resume attacking you. You therefore can effectively pause the battle and grab a health regenerator.

I kind of am disappointed at this part of the sea battles, I'm sure it's not a bug but is intentionally designed that way. Gives you too easy of an out and really takes you out of the immersion because of course, an enemy ship would NOT just circle around waiting for you to finish boarding and sacking one of their own ships, then repairing your own ship back to full health with their scavenged materials. For that reason I always try to take out ALL the enemy ships with which I'm in conflict before boarding any of them. I have desync'ed a few times by finally getting blown to bits and lost some big captures for my fleet, but it's just more "realistic" that way, I guess.

Vogue_77
11-27-2013, 12:22 AM
I do just the opposite of you, OP (and maybe everyone else, too).

Whatever the boarding objectives are, such as killing the officers or blowing the powder stores, I always do those LAST as my goal is to rack up as many crew kills as possible, so I basically kill everyone on-board first and THEN do the objectives. It's just too much bloody fun to pass up killing all those guys! LOL I've worked my way up in the top 50 of deadliest assassins worldwide going through the ship crews and attacking the forts. I think, unlike ships, forts have unlimited enemy spawns and you could go on for hours, especially if you stand near one of the "conflict points" where your crew and the enemies always go to to fight it out.

I kind of am disappointed at this part of the sea battles, I'm sure it's not a bug but is intentionally designed that way. Gives you too easy of an out and really takes you out of the immersion because of course, an enemy ship would NOT just circle around waiting for you to finish boarding and sacking one of their own ships, then repairing your own ship back to full health with their scavenged materials. For that reason I always try to take out ALL the enemy ships with which I'm in conflict before boarding any of them. I have desync'ed a few times by finally getting blown to bits and lost some big captures for my fleet, but it's just more "realistic" that way, I guess.

Actually it's realistic in a way, since they won't fire upon you and risk hitting their own ships. There's nothing they can use that would be accurate enough to not hit their own ships, so it makes sense from this point of view to not interfere when you're boarding :)

SenseHomunculus
11-27-2013, 03:57 AM
Actually it's realistic in a way, since they won't fire upon you and risk hitting their own ships. There's nothing they can use that would be accurate enough to not hit their own ships, so it makes sense from this point of view to not interfere when you're boarding :)

Yeah, but while pretty much your entire crew is boarding and fighting on the captured enemy ship, the other enemy ship could easily board yours and take it! But then, that wouldn't be too much fun to lose the Jackdaw EVERY time you attack another ship. :p

Thayin2012
11-28-2013, 05:47 AM
You can trap ships between a land and your ship, leave the wheel and climb the enemy ship no matter how big it's, as soon as you grab it, it'll stop, if you attack from the back only the guards in the back will attack you then move on to the other parts, kill everyone, destroy all the powder barrels (if found), climb up to the scouts kill or use the first one as a human shield then use his musket to kill the other, or just do it anyway you like, destroy the flag if there's one, then go back to your ship, shoot the empty enemy ship then hold the boarding button.
There's another way similar to this, you can engage with the enemy ship, when it's damaged and is ready to be boarded don't do it just leave the wheel, swim to the enemy ship and do all the steps in the last method, then go back to your ship, don't shoot it this time otherwise you'll destroy it, just get the Jackdaw in the boarding range and press the boarding button.

I remember swimming after this Man 'o War for 10 minutes hoping it would turn towards me while it was aiming its cannons at some other enemies. Needless to say, I got frustrated and fast travelled away because of how big the disyance to swim to the Jackdaw was