PDA

View Full Version : General Gameplay Annoyances

Dante589
11-24-2013, 12:21 AM
So, this is going to be somewhat of a ranting thread here, but i'm annoyed at various aspects of the game that I would think should be common sense.

1) When crafting items, such as blow-darts, if you de-sync any darts you crafted disappear, but the materials you used to craft them are not refunded.
2) Its a PC Game, and there is no windowed mode? there are many people who play this game who may happen to have one or more monitors
3) HP Regen instead of medicine? Why was medicine removed from this game. Because it's all about pirates, and the high seas and it was scarce during that time? i could understand that if it's the true reason, but i doubt it.
4) 'Congratulations' DLC Spam messages at main menu upon game launch, and exit.
5) Broken Assassination contracts: I would LOVE to get my pistol swords, but have completely given up now because of a bug that has been reported here: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/803769-*BUG-REPORT*-AC4-Black-Flag-PS3-Assassination-Contracts-BROKEN-game-long-glitch!/page34
6) When buying darts and smoke bombs, if you de-sync, you also do not keep the darts or smoke bombs

... More to follow as i think of other things that irritate me about the gameplay

strigoi1958
11-24-2013, 02:15 AM
I don't think this is a rant thread more of a "I'm a little frustrated" thread
None of those things bother me but each to his own I guess ;)
1 and 3 are just rules of this game you do not like but unfortunately they are the rules for this game and they're the rules for everyone.

2. I only have 1 monitor so I use CTRL + TAB to get to desktop without quitting the game, but I can see how you'd prefer not to press 2 buttons to do that when you have multiple monitors, I expect someone has already found a way around this and it will be posted soon.

4. I only got those messages once at the start telling me I have outfits for owning all previous AC games. I'm not sure why you get them repeatedly so I can't help you there :confused:

5. Broken Assassins contract... yes I got one of those in Havana but it's not something that affects the main story (I hope ! I'm 17% in) I see it as better to have the game now with a few teething problems than have to wait 6 months for it to be fully patched before release. All games have a few bugs at the beginning.
AC Initiates also has a small glitch where it keeps resetting my xp so I cannot progress there either.... but I'm enjoying the game so much at the moment that not much else matters.

When things irritate me ... I stop doing them as life is too short. I bought Mass effect 2 and loved it... played for weeks... I bought ME3 and after 20 minutes uninstalled it. I get the feeling you're a little nostalgic for other AC games (which is good) but don't let that stop you enjoying this one. :D

IDefectedI
11-24-2013, 02:56 AM
Question. How come all the warehouses are empty? They are full until I back track for a minute then come back.

WeamDreaver
11-24-2013, 09:01 AM
Another annoying thing, is when I am sailing and try to navigate my way with the compass (radar plus arrow at north) I often can't see that little arrow on the edge of the radar because it is completely hidden behind one or more of those large icons. A simple solution would be making the arrow or needle longer or integrate it better into the radar like the long arrow that indicates the wind.

Syr.Jake
11-24-2013, 11:21 AM
Along with the OP....

Why can I sell cargo in bulk (X button to select all) but I cannot craft darts in bulk?

It is so annoying to craft from 3 to 15, almost to the point where I just go buy the damn things instead of sitting there hitting the button over and over again to craft them.

MnemonicSyntax
11-24-2013, 11:27 AM
I have a few myself.

Taken from my other thread in Console General:

Right side shoulder leaning - When I lean against a foundation on the right side and try to target someone with my blowgun or pistol, the reticule goes into the wall, but when I do it on the left side, this does not happen. The left side shoulder lean allows me to aim, target and shoot at someone from around the corner. Anyone else experience this? (This is probably my most major complaint)

Free aim for other weapons/tools - If we have a free aim for pistols and the blowgun, why don't have one for smoke bombs and the throwing knife?

Stealth boarding - So I decided to try to sneak aboard a ship and kill everyone without attacking it full on. It worked, but this one is two-fold: 1) I couldn't control the ship and while that can sorta slide as it take a crew to control a ship, it leads me to my next point. 2) Why would I need to shoot at a ship that I just overtook single-handedly in order to board it. The ship is dead In the water, but perfectly intact. So instead of boarding it, and taking the ship as a perfectly intact ship, I have to shoot at it first to get the cargo/supplies from it because it won't let me board it otherwise.

Fisticuffs - As a pirate, I think it would be fairly reasonable to have Edward sorta "cheat" his way through combat by throwing dirt in the enemies eyes, much like Ezio did. While not a deal breaker, punching your palm is kinda lame while in the midst of combat.

Crouch button - We've seen this before on the forums, but I wanted to add to it's idea. Some people say crouch isn't necessary, others want it, I'm on the fence. It would be handy if it did something, and I think I've figured out what it "can" do. as a personal suggestion. This is just my idea, you guys might have something different. You know when you blend with a crowd and then walk away from it? There's several seconds that you're still considered "blended" in that you can walk away to make it to another crowd. However, this doesn't work with stalking zones. If there was a crouch button, have it so it works from walking from one crouch zone to another, but not indefinitely. If not a crouch button, allow the animation to continue for a few seconds outside of a stalking zone, and still be "blended" but once that time is up, resume to standing again, even if they don't make it to a stalk zone.

Dynamic blending - Like the gameplay demo, I want a bit of interaction. Guys on the bench will talk to Edward, but he won't talk back. I found that standing with drunk pirates also allows Edward to be drunk. Not all blending needs to be dynamic, for example, Edward wouldn't help a guy fix a house, but he could talk to the guy.

Knowing where everything is on the map - Isn't that what viewpoints are for?

Another thing I found frustrating and I would say would be my "number 2" is the moving camera when you walk/fast walk. That is so annoying and makes me feel nauseated at times.

Also, in regards to game dynamics, we see other pirates board other ships, but why can't they do that in the forts? Or, in a particular mission, a particular pirate goes with you and ends up on another ship, but only via a cutscene, yet he's doing battle the whole time. You never see him go over there, like your crew does. I get why Adewale doesn't leave the ship, as with a small skeleton crew staying behind, but, why can't some of the crew go with you to attack a fort? Why is your crew already there? (This one is nitpicky, but something I thought about while playing earlier)

I know that reloading 4 guns would be a lot of time, but there's one animation for 4 guns. Connor at least had a double animation. I kinda wish that was there.

strigoi1958
11-24-2013, 02:00 PM
I haven't come across the right shoulder leaning thing but that needs reporting in feedback / bugs.

free aiming for knife/ smoke bombs well that's just the rules of the game and comes under "what I'd like to see in the game"
Stealth boarding :D Ubi must know that somewhere someone is going to outwit the game and I guess you did it. I assume they never thought anyone would single-handedly do it. nice one.

Fisticuffs I've had no problem defeating anyone bare handed and besides edward and ezio are different people.

Crouching well... that would take away the waiting to time your move from bush to bush etc... for me it would ruin some of the stealth element by making it easier.

Blending / interaction hmm not really important to the game I feel but I guess some people need more immersion.

knowing where everything is on the map... I don't quite understand that... I have synched all the viewpoints and come across things while running round. Is that what you mean ?

moving camera ? do you mean the ability to view one direction while running in another ?

pirates going with you to forts... are you saying you want another cut scene every fort instead of getting on with playing ?

WeamDreaver
11-24-2013, 03:49 PM
I'd also like to add that the sound volume always boosts up when I change from sailing to harpooning. That is quite annoying because I always have to lower the volume for harpooning, otherwise I would wake up people living in the house. I don't know why, but during harpooning my sound goes up like 50% or so.

A consistent sound volume throughout the game would be much appreciated

MnemonicSyntax
11-24-2013, 04:43 PM
I haven't come across the right shoulder leaning thing but that needs reporting in feedback / bugs.

I reported it, but they're not sure it's a bug or that's how Edward leans. Regardless, he can't shoot his blowgun while on the right side of a wall, but can from the left.

free aiming for knife/ smoke bombs well that's just the rules of the game and comes under "what I'd like to see in the game"

Yes, but it's also annoying, because AC3 had it. It also makes Edward less "capable" as an Assassin. I'm not asking for long distances and I'd even forget the free aim knife throwing if they could only do one, but throwing a smoke bomb at a crowd of guards is pretty important to me and just makes sense.

Stealth boarding :D Ubi must know that somewhere someone is going to outwit the game and I guess you did it. I assume they never thought anyone would single-handedly do it. nice one.

Well, if I recall, either Darby or Ashraf said it could be done. (But they said a lot of things that didn't happen, though I'm not mad or anything) It's just not logical. My only guess is that the code is written to allow boarding with a "If/Then" statement that says something like "IF ship is damaged enough, THEN allow boarding." I'm not an expert programmer, but I know my way around some Java and Visual Basic. Granted, they probably don't use those, but most programming languages are somewhat similar and another protocol could have been added for it.

Fisticuffs I've had no problem defeating anyone bare handed and besides edward and ezio are different people.

Oh I didn't either, and I realize that they're different people, but the animation is there, the programming, etc. I figured it would be kinda cool since Edward fights dirty (kicks a guard captain in the nuts during a counter!) and as a pirate, it just seems logical I suppose.

Crouching well... that would take away the waiting to time your move from bush to bush etc... for me it would ruin some of the stealth element by making it easier.

I'm not really all for making it easier, but as I said there's some parts where stalking zones are literally a few inches apart and crouchingcrouchingcrouchingSTANDSTRAIGHTUPcrouchin gcrouching just looks sorta silly is all. I'm still torn on the being blended part, I wouldn't care if you weren't blended while crouching between bushes, but let the animation carry over from bush to bush within a certain time frame.

Blending / interaction hmm not really important to the game I feel but I guess some people need more immersion.

You know, LOL, I would agree with you had I not seen the tech demo with Edward being more... lively during blending. Yeah, it's a tech demo and they change all the time, but now that I've seen it, I want it. Argh! LOL

knowing where everything is on the map... I don't quite understand that... I have synched all the viewpoints and come across things while running round. Is that what you mean ?

This was an error on my part and should be ignored :)

moving camera ? do you mean the ability to view one direction while running in another ?

No, when you walk/fast walk, the camera slides over Edward's left shoulder. Barely noticeable but it's made me feel sick a few times watching it. I don't know why, I don't have Epilepsy or anything like that.

pirates going with you to forts... are you saying you want another cut scene every fort instead of getting on with playing ?

Oh no. The pirates when you board another ship, they actually swing over, jump over, etc. You free them, and they'll run to the ship, dive into the water and swim to the Jackdaw. I don't see why they can't get off the ship and join you in battle taking over a fort instead of just being there.

strigoi1958
11-25-2013, 12:42 AM
moving camera... I can't believe that after 20 hours of gameplay I didn't notice that was happening till you mentioned it :D... and now I see it I can't think about anything else

bukowski113
11-25-2013, 04:36 AM
Hello and welcome to the Forums :D
Please make sure you also post any gameplay feedback here:
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/803791-AC-IV-Black-Flag-Single-Player-GAMEPLAY-Feedback-*Do-NOT-post-SPOILERS*

For bugs please make sure you create a Ticket with Support.
http://support.ubi.com/

Thanks ;)

Dante589
11-26-2013, 03:59 AM
Anyone else had royal convoy markers never dissapearing from their maps ?