PDA

View Full Version : Switched games?

Razigon
08-28-2004, 01:20 PM
Hello,
I was wondering how many of you use to play CBFS2 and now switched to this game?

What game is better and how much does it cost to buy it?
What are some differences between the two games?

Just-A-Flash

Razigon
08-28-2004, 01:20 PM
Hello,
I was wondering how many of you use to play CBFS2 and now switched to this game?

What game is better and how much does it cost to buy it?
What are some differences between the two games?

Just-A-Flash

carguy_
08-28-2004, 04:16 PM
I`ve switched directly from cfs1 and it was like a jump in a hyperspace heheh

This game is about Eeastern Front but those who came here from cfs2 had turned it into a western front sim - plenty of USAAF planes been added.

No sense in buying cfs2 just buy FB Fold or wait for Pacific Fighters to be released maybe in november.

http://carguy.w.interia.pl/tracki/sig23d.jpg

Self-proclaimed dedicated Willywhiner since July 2002

georgeo76
08-28-2004, 04:57 PM
I'm a CFS2 convert. Took me a while to get into IL2. I stayed away @ first because all the screen shots showing the hud and speedbar led me to believe it was an arcade game.

I tried the demo and didn't care much for it, taking off in the Lagg 3 seemed an imposable task. I didn't like the lack of readable gauges. I just didn't have the interest to learn.

One day I was game shopping, and had exhausted everything on the shelf except IL2, so I gave it another shot. My stick time quickly became split between the two games. IL2 was the first (and only game) I've ever enjoyed playing on line. After a short time, CFS2 gathered dust, and never got installed after a re-format/reinstall.

I finally gave up on CFS altogether w/ the release of CFS3 (For obvious reasons)

PatrickjAk
08-28-2004, 05:17 PM
well i was real into cfs1 and 2. and then i got cfs3..hmm not sure i want to admit that.
didnt really know about il2 until after the cfs3 dissapointment.. So, one day i was in compusa and saw FB, so i got it...best danm money i ever spent.. i recommend you get it and dont even look back.

-HH- Beebop
08-28-2004, 05:37 PM
I started serious flight simming with Janes WWII Fighters but switched to European Air War for the Battle of Britain campaign. I stuck with that until CFS2 came out but kept EAW on the HD becuase the BoB campagin was just too good even though the graphics were not nearly as good even with the mods I added.
When I discovered the IL-2 demo I stopped playing CFS2 and as soon as I got the original IL-2 Sturmovik I quit EAW. Since then this has been my only flight sim and will continue to be so whilst adding Pacific Fighters and BoB when released.
This is a totaly awesome sim!

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/9334/Image6.jpg
HellHounds Virtual Air Wing

AB_Mormac
08-28-2004, 06:47 PM
Loved CF2,CF3 is ashame.But ith this game[FB]I Went from very good in CF2 to a rookie in this game,that is what keeps me playing.It rocks.If you do not like a challange do not play.These pilots in this game are all very good you will enjoy the learning curve.Bin a IL2 freak for 2 years now and I still suck.For a flight sim you can not beat it.

Skycat_2
08-28-2004, 10:46 PM
I started with "Jane's WWII Fighters" and was hooked by the 3-D cockpits and ground attack. Since then, I've tried out all of the "Combat Flight Simulator" installments, "European Air War," "B-17: The Mighty Eighth," "Fighter Squadron" and each version of the IL-2 series. That said, I feel that only the IL-2 sim(s) is a worthy contender to 'replace' my first and favorite love ("Jane's WWII Fighters").

You can get both "IL-2: Forgotten Battles" and its "Ace Expansion Pack" together as the "Gold Pack" for about $40 in the U.S. (Separately, they normally cost $20 and $30 respectively). With AEP installed you get some Pacific aircraft and maps but not really on the same scale as CFS-2 ... However, the upcoming "Pacific Fighters" (a stand-alone sim or AEP add-on, your choice at installation) will be dedicated to the Pacific war.

Comparisons:
1) IL-2 series has highly detailed 3-D cockpits with mouse-pan ability, and supports Track-IR for viewing. CFS-2 is primarily a 2-D panel sim with questionable 3-D pits.

2) IL-2 series does not have 'interactive' cockpits like CFS-2; in other words, you'll have to use keyboard keys to manage the engine, flaps, etc.

3) CFS-2 has open archetecture and allows for infinite variety of 'mods' like new planes and maps. In IL-2 series, new aircraft, maps, and FM/DM/weaponry adjustments can only be made through patches offered by the developer.

4) IL-2:FB and beyond offer a dynamic campaign somewhat similar to CFS-2's. CFS-2 gets a few points for style (the cartoony cut slides) but IL-2:FB's combat reports seem more authentic.

5) Both sims allow scripted, user made missions. It seems to me that it is easier to write missions for the IL-2 series, and therefore there are a ton available for
download representing a nearly infinite variety.

6) Both sims allow attacks on ships; however, it is much tougher to sink a ship in IL-2 series. Also, CFS-2 is sparse on ground attack on vehicles, whereas IL-2 has featured this since the beginning; the AI routines of the vehicles in IL-2 series is pretty good.

7) Ever see a destroyer or sub shortcut right through an island in CFS-2? I have. Again, IL-2 series has better ground AI.

8 ) CFS-2 planes generally feel very 'smooth' to fly, like they are razorblades on rails. IL-2 series planes, on the other hand, have a more visceral 'seat of the pants' feel; planes shake and vibrate as they buffet and approach a stall, plus there is a setting for head shake during turns and banks. Once you get used to IL-2 planes, then CFS-2 planes become unexciting.

9) In my opinion, the rendering of depth is all jacked in CFS-2. The IL-2 series gives a truer feeling of cockpit-to-target distance.

These are just some of my thoughts when comparing the two. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with the FB/AEP combo -- there are so many maps and flyable planes (everything from open cockpit, canvas covered bombers to jet and rocket propelled fighters) that there is sure to be something that appeals to you. Plus, the weather effects are stunning, and there are so many little details within the game that continue to surprise even veteran players.