PDA

View Full Version : Need help understanding how Abstergo Database fits in with events in story (SPOILERS)

Thayin2012
11-23-2013, 07:21 PM
I'm really confused at the moment. I've been reading through the database available on the companion app. It says that Blackbeard died in North Carolina, but in the game he appears to be killed when we board that Spanish Man 'o War.

It says that Woodes Rogers died in Cuba, but the game says that he survives his injuries and was recovering in London at the very end of the story. Also, is it just a bug on my system, but is there a mission to go and finish Rogers, because I can't find one.
It also says that El Tiburon's death is unknown even though Edward assassinated him when trying to find Torres

Some other entries, like Torres', don't mention Edward, even though he played quite a big part in Torres' story.

I don't know if it's just because my database hasn't updated yet, even though I finished the story last Friday.
Anyone else getting a similar problem?

saicharanb93
11-23-2013, 07:59 PM
I'm really confused at the moment. I've been reading through the database available on the companion app. It says that Blackbeard died in North Carolina, but in the game he appears to be killed when we board that Spanish Man 'o War.

It says that Woodes Rogers died in Cuba, but the game says that he survives his injuries and was recovering in London at the very end of the story. Also, is it just a bug on my system, but is there a mission to go and finish Rogers, because I can't find one.
It also says that El Tiburon's death is unknown even though Edward assassinated him when trying to find Torres

Some other entries, like Torres', don't mention Edward, even though he played quite a big part in Torres' story.

I don't know if it's just because my database hasn't updated yet, even though I finished the story last Friday.
Anyone else getting a similar problem?

*SPOILERS*

I am not sure about the geographical locations but wikipedia says that Blackbeard was killed while he was hosting a party on an island. He was attacked and killed ( beheaded ) in battle, which coincides with that of the game.

Woodes Rodgers died in Cuba, but, according to wikipedia, Woodes Rodgers died in 1732 in Nassau but wiki says that woodes suffered from a major health problem a year ago, which coincides with the failed assassination attempt of Edward. Yes, Edward does mention that he will take care of Woodes later on but i have completed the game and havent come across any mission to kill Rodgers; not in the main storyline anyways.

Now as for the death of El Tiburon, Ubisoft has always been great at taking advantage of the gaps left in the history books. Since El Tiburons death was not recorded, no one can be sure if Edward killed him; but on the other hand, no one can prove that he DID NOT. same goes for torres; no one can actually prove that edward didnt exist.

The animuses databases ( according to shaun) are derived from actual databases and hence they dont mention anything about edward killing these guys.

i hope that was helpful. sorry, if it wasnt.

guardian_titan
11-23-2013, 10:11 PM
Quite often what occurred in real life is not what occurs in the game. In AC3, Charles Lee dies in Monmouth in a tavern. In real life, he died in Philadelphia from an illness. He was also missing 2 fingers from a duel in Europe and was also not in the United States during the Boston Massacre. He was in Europe and enlisted in the Portuguese military at the time. If he took a few months off to go to the States, his commanding officers might have had a fit. Would give a reason why his military career stagnated, though. :p He was also in Europe when Connor's mother died. So quite a few changes for him besides Ubisoft omitting that Charles Lee had a Mohawk wife, twins with her, and had a love of Pomeranians. His wife and twins likely died fairly early, though, since everything I saw on the guy suggested he was a bachelor living alone at his estate in (West) Virginia (Prato Rio) with his dogs after about 1772. There's a LOT of conflicting dates on when he bought Prato Rio. I've seen dates from 1772-1777. The estate was in Virginia at the time but now part of West Virginia. Located near an unofficial town named Leetown ... obviously named for him but has never been incorporated in the last 200 years.

Another interesting tidbit that could be related to Charles Lee: Davenport's located where Rockport, MA is. There's a street in Rockport named Lee Way. :p

At any rate, most of the assassinations in the game aren't that close to the real deaths for the person. AC1 certainly changed a lot of them. Various assassination targets did survive their attempted assassination. Rodrigo Borgia in AC2 and Edward Braddock in AC3 are two of them. So Woodes surviving isn't out of the ordinary. Vane also survived his assassination only to die by the hangman's noose. Even in real life, stab someone and chances are they don't drop dead. You have to hit them in a major organ or hit a major artery to really kill them quickly. Otherwise they die from slowly bleeding to death. You can even shoot someone in the head and they'll survive it if you don't hit the right area. People can survive some strange injuries. People who survived traumatic head injuries led to the lobotomy since doctors figured out the person had a personality change depending on where their injury was. Anyway, Edward wasn't really a trained Assassin so not unlikely he'd miss vital organs/arteries when killing targets which explains why 2 of his targets survive.

Blackbeard
Blackbeard did die in North Carolina, but since there was no game map made for that area (we just see part of South Carolina), they had to move him elsewhere. No different than Charles Lee's death in AC3. Sometimes they have to move them since sometimes the time or money isn't warranted to make a single location for a single scene. The opera scene at the end is one thing. The map was already made in AC3 so was taken from that. Shocked they made a map for Charleston (Charles-towne) at all in the game, but it was a pretty pivotal event in Blackbeard's life. Be hard to move it elsewhere.
Charles Vane and Calico Jack
Another event that was moved was at the time Blackbeard died. Charles Vane and Calico Jack were closer to New York (November 23rd was a date I found and Blackbeard died the day before) which is where Calico Jack stole Vane's ship leaving him with a smaller ship and some crew. No way Edward could sail up that far in such a short time after Blackbeard died. Ships at the time were lucky to sail 100 miles a day from what I found so might take a week to go from the Caribbean to New York and another week to go back. Charles Vane was also marooned near Honduras about 3 months after Calico Jack stole his ship. The game skips from Calico Jack stealing the ship to the marooning.
Woodes Rogers
Woodes Rogers died in Nassau in July 1732 likely related to an illness he had been suffering from since his governorship of the West Indies (the first time) in the 1710s. The entire scene where Rogers threw a party and stated he was fired isn't accurate. Woodes didn't find out he was fired until he returned to England and he was thrown into debtor's prison. He got out after a few years and the infamous History of Pyrates book (not really the name, but not too hard to find the actual book) vaulted him back into the limelight and made King George reappoint him the governor of the West Indies a second time ... which then led to his death.

You can look at the illness Rogers got as a side effect of the attempted assassination by Edward, but wounds heal and Edward didn't use poison. So his chronic illness couldn't be related to Edward no matter how many ways you spin it. Woodes was also suffering from his illness before Edward's assassination attempt. So the only way you can really look at the event is either throw out what you know really happened and go with the game or believe the game was altered.

Knowing Rogers near death in the game, possible he became an ally of the Assassins later on hence why Edward doesn't kill him back in England, but the Caribbean Assassins weren't aware of their alliance and killed him upon his return to Nassau. Someone had to convince Rogers debtors to forgive his debt which got him out of prison and I doubt the Templars would help him after his failed venture in the West Indies. Granted, Ubisoft will likely go with "once a Templar, always a Templar" so Rogers won't be redeemable by any stretch of the imagination. :rolleyes:
El Tiburon and Torres
I tried looking up El Tiburon and came up with nothing on the guy so he's either really obscure or fictional. Only thing I found were sharks and grapes, not a person from the early 18th century.

Also looked up Torres and only found a general year for his birth and death. Apparently it's unknown when he died in 1722 or even where so Ubisoft pretty much had free reign to mold him as they saw fit. Ubisoft probably enjoys figures in history like that so they're not so restricted by what's known about the person.

I couldn't find anything on a Julien du Casse, either. There is a du Casse that lived around the time but his name wasn't Julien. So I'm betting he was probably fictional, too, just to give an owner to the galleon Edward steals for Nassau.
Since the database entries are made by Abstergo, would make sense for them to mention the "real" history rather than just be pulled from real database entries. Possible for time reasons they opted not to do more AC4-centric entries. They probably also forgot to update certain entries as you went through the game. There's so few of them so rather odd they didn't do that. Quite a shame. I miss Shaun's quipy remarks during some of the entries the most. Made them humorous to read. AC4's are a bit long in some areas (like the letters) and I have no idea who some of the initials belong to.

I wouldn't put too much stock into what occurs in the game. You might get an ulcer trying to match it up to real life. Creative licensing and all that. Ubisoft often changes a lot to fit it within their story while making it next to impossible (or impossible) to fit it into real history without taking massive leaps like so-and-so edited this part of history, this part was recorded wrong, etc. The victor's the one to write history so will write it their way and make themselves look better, but the other side tends to come out eventually.

Edward Database Entry
Might have noticed of all of the database entries, Edward's the only one to have his death date listed from the start despite him dying long after the game ends. Makes more sense for him to be one of the few to be unknown at the end along with Adewalé, Ah Tabai, and Anne Bonny. So guess even in the AC world, Forsaken was already out yet there's no real mention of Forsaken by anyone in the modern day outside of seeing the novel lying around on the odd desk. Caroline's is listed as unknown until the end and you find out then she died in 1720 ... which is interestingly enough the same year Mary Read died. I have to wonder if their deaths were intended to be on the same date or roughly the same time. Clever Ubisoft ... or a happy accident. Rather strange happy accident. O.o Also disappointed neither Jenny, Tessa, or Haytham got database entries. I find it abnormal that they give solid dates to Edward and Haytham but Jenny is left vague like she's an afterthought. Connor wasn't much luckier. This game also seems to have fewer people entries than previous games. :(
I really know too much random stuff. >.>

ThatGamer709
11-24-2013, 01:11 AM
I imagine the inconsistencies between the games, and the databases/internet are from the Assassins and Templars being secret. The differences from what is known and what is seen in the game are probably from covering something up that had to do with the Orders

saicharanb93
11-24-2013, 03:49 AM
Quite often what occurred in real life is not what occurs in the

This game also seems to have fewer people entries than previous games. :([/spoiler]
I really know too much random stuff. >.>

Wow, that was really some good info. Thanks a lot, mate. By the way, how do you put on those spoiler tags??

Thayin2012
11-24-2013, 04:59 AM
Thanks, guys. Really helped me understand a bit more.