PDA

View Full Version : Quick Weapon Selector on PC

TorQue1988
11-23-2013, 05:33 PM
Why isn't there a Quick Weapon Selector for the PC version???? There was one in AC3 and the previous games, so why was it removed. I appreciate the fact that you guys added shortcuts for the weapons (numbers 1-9), instead of just 4 like in previous games, but the quick selector was very useful so please patch it.
Also there is a huge problem with the throwing knife: there is no button to select it and doesn't appear anywhere at all; it cannot be picked up from the ground and most importantly it CANNOT be thrown at all on the PC version. So the challenge "disarm 3 agile guards and kill them with their own weapon" cannot be completed.
And please let us fully customize the controls for keyboard and add the option to pan the map from the directional keys or WASD like in the Ezio games, instead of holding down LMB and moving the mouse around. It's really annoying.

Lokikron
11-23-2013, 09:06 PM
One slight correct: The reason you can't pick up a throwing knife is because you are ALREADY carrying one, and can't change to it to use it to get a new knife.

Knives are like a tool, but only have an ammo capacity of 1. And unable to swap to it.

Ishad
11-23-2013, 09:12 PM
quick selector was most awful and ******ed thing in ac3. for start it was anything but quick - like 5-6 seconds of animations of popping up / down of this ******** - which actually made me not using anything but 1 selected item all the game. point. proper shortcuts are way, way, way, way,way, way better.

razmat2012
11-23-2013, 09:17 PM
I use an xbox controller , so for me the weapon wheel thingy is the left hat (flat 4 way) , on the xbox controller. no doubt there is not much support for the pc port as of yet.

Lokikron
11-23-2013, 09:29 PM
quick selector was most awful and ******ed thing in ac3. for start it was anything but quick - like 5-6 seconds of animations of popping up / down of this ******** - which actually made me not using anything but 1 selected item all the game. point. proper shortcuts are way, way, way, way,way, way better.

Correction: Short cuts that work/NO MISSING SHORTCUTS are way better.

SuperBlackScri
11-24-2013, 11:13 AM
There's is a throwing knife? wat? I've completed the game, but haven't got any.

TorQue1988
11-24-2013, 12:05 PM
One slight correct: The reason you can't pick up a throwing knife is because you are ALREADY carrying one, and can't change to it to use it to get a new knife.

Knives are like a tool, but only have an ammo capacity of 1. And unable to swap to it.
You might be right, but how the hell can i select the knife in the first place? Because i can't find it anywhere...

Correction: Short cuts that work/NO MISSING SHORTCUTS are way better.
Exactly my point, i don't care how bad the quick selector was in AC3 but at least IT WORKED. But without it in AC4 we can't use the damn knives.

Lokikron
11-25-2013, 01:19 AM
You might be right, but how the hell can i select the knife in the first place? Because i can't find it anywhere...

Exactly my point, i don't care how bad the quick selector was in AC3 but at least IT WORKED. But without it in AC4 we can't use the damn knives.

From another thread:

So when you you managed to disarm an agile guard or pick up a knife on the ground, it will go in your inventory, but if you decide to switch your tool ( like smoke bombs)when you have the throwing knife, you won't be able to re select and use it because their is no key for it. So you'll be stuck with it forever without being able to use it and when you'll try to disarm an agile guard, his knife will fall on the ground and you won't be able to pick it up, because there's a 1 knife limit in your inventory. Voilą!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMohfFo5XKc

On consoles/controllers, they have "inventory" bound, and have a quick select.

A good example is this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqhDnWT1CFM (Look at ~2:24 for a good example, it shows knives available to select)

Pretty much ubisoft is giving keyboard users the middle finger.

QA should have definitely found this in testing, and they just got ignored.

TorQue1988
11-25-2013, 11:57 PM
So basically there's no workaround? And it seems they don't really care, seeing the mods haven't even commented on this issue...

Zombie844
11-28-2013, 03:59 AM
yeah to get the throwing knife you have to disarm the guy with the small dagger like in ac3 you can tell it is him cause he blocks all melee attacks you take his knife and you can use it once you dis-arm him but if you do not have a mouse wheel like me DO NOT CHANGE WEAPONS AS IT WILL GET LOST IN YOUR WEAPONS that you can not pick up another one so as soon as you take it use it one of the challenges is too kill 3 agile targets which can not be completed unless you have a mouse wheel or controller hope it helps

MnemonicSyntax
11-28-2013, 04:04 AM
itdidnthelpatallbecauseitsahugerunonsentencewithou tanycommasorperiods.

Darkknife69
11-28-2013, 03:01 PM
PROBLEM

On PC when you get your first throwing knife and then select another tool in your inventory you cannot reselect the throwing knife as there is no key binding for it. Also you cannot access the weapon wheel (menu) because it doesn't have any keybindings. This issue can cause inability to disarm and kill guards as you cannot equip another throwing knife because you are carrying one in your inventory already.

SOLUTION - get the weapon wheel (menu) back

1. Go to your documents folder and find the Assassins Creed IV Black Flag folder.
2. Open the Assassin4.ini file
3. Find the lines under [KeyboardMouse2 DefaultBindings]:

PadUp=-1

PadRight=-1

PadDown=-1

PadLeft=-1

4. Change these lines to:

PadUp=72

PadRight=77

PadDown=80

PadLeft=75

5. Save the file.
6. Start AC4 Black Flag and load your game
7. Use the numpad keys 2, 4, 6 and 8 on your keyboard to select weapons

Your weapon wheel (menu) now shows up and you can select the throwing knife!

Enjoy!

EDIT: I realized that there have also been complaints that people without a wheel on their mouse cannot select between tools. This fix also solves your problem as you can now select tools from the weapon wheel menu.

EDIT2: Weapon wheel = weapon menu - there's no actual wheel, just a horizontal tool menu and vertical weapons menu.

EDIT3: Some may have the defaultBindings.map instead of the Assassin4.ini file

TorQue1988
11-28-2013, 08:11 PM
^^^^Wow, thank you very much. This is very useful.
Is there a solution for panning the map with the directional keys or WSAD? Because it's impossible to put a custom marker on the map with keyboard/mouse.