PDA

View Full Version : AC4 Lack of Weapon Wheel?

Lokikron
11-22-2013, 12:48 PM
So I was watching some console gameplay, and I noticed that they were able to bring up the weapon select/wheel, which lists everything you have.

Why is it that there's no weapon wheel in the pc version? There's ALWAYS been a weapon select/wheel in all the previous games, it's really convenient and quick and easy, and really really dumb to remove it as an option.

*Lack of weapon wheel also brings up the throwing knives problem, in that you can't use them if you use the mouse wheel at all (which you can't unbind, the only thing you can NOT change) to change your tool away from it, throwing knives are listed on the weapon select/wheel for consoles, so unless pc players immediately use the throwing knife, they are prevented from 100% completion*

Or is it that it's a bug that hitting Q (change weapon) just rotates between your possible weapons (fists, hidden blade, swords), instead of bringing up the full weapon select/wheel?

ace3001
11-22-2013, 03:16 PM
Weapon wheel is not given a keybind in the PC version as far as I know. Instead, we're to use the number keys to select weapons directly or cycle through with Q (primary weapons) or mouse wheel (secondary weapons/ranged weapons). It's not perfect, but it works, and is miles better than the nasty wheel that AC III had.

And what do you mean throwing knives? Are throwing knives even in this game?

MnemonicSyntax
11-22-2013, 03:30 PM
Yeah, they are. You have to disarm an Agile to get it, and you can only have one. Also, you cannot free aim throw it either :/

Lokikron
11-22-2013, 03:49 PM
Yeah, they are. You have to disarm an Agile to get it, and you can only have one. Also, you cannot free aim throw it either :/

You forgot to mention you can't use them if you change to a different tool as there is no option for knives in 1-0 keys, and they don't show up with the mouse wheel, which having a weapon wheel would solve this issue.

Another solution is changing maps or throw money for knives. Don't really need maps (which you can only select when you have one still unsolved, and then is useless) and throwing money is just for lulz/trolling.

Looking at the gamepad mapping, they're given "inventory" as a selection, while pc is given "weapon select" and "tool select"

MnemonicSyntax
11-22-2013, 04:07 PM
You forgot to mention you can't use them if you change to a different tool as there is no option for knives in 1-0 keys, and they don't show up with the mouse wheel, which having a weapon wheel would solve this issue.

Another solution is changing maps or throw money for knives. Don't really need maps (which you can only select when you have one still unsolved, and then is useless) and throwing money is just for lulz/trolling.

Looking at the gamepad mapping, they're given "inventory" as a selection, while pc is given "weapon select" and "tool select"

I didn't mention it because I wasn't aware. I use a 360 controller to play Assassin's Creed games on my PC.

Lokikron
11-22-2013, 04:23 PM
I didn't mention it because I wasn't aware. I use a 360 controller to play Assassin's Creed games on my PC.

So do you have the weapon wheel on the controller? :(

Not having it on keyboard but having it on the controller is very... backwards, keyboard has significantly more buttons vs controller, and not everyone on pc has a controller.

MnemonicSyntax
11-22-2013, 04:39 PM
So do you have the weapon wheel on the controller? :(

Not having it on keyboard but having it on the controller is very... backwards, keyboard has significantly more buttons vs controller, and not everyone on pc has a controller.

I didn't say that. There is no weapon wheel, just the crossbar, on any version. You just use the directional pad and tap which ever way you want for whatever weapon you want. Swords, hit down. Hidden blade, up, Guns, left. Smoke Bombs, left twice.

I like it far better than a weapon wheel, though having played AC 3 on PC without a controller, a weapon wheel is far more handy.

EP3nquin
11-22-2013, 04:43 PM
I didn't say that. There is no weapon wheel, just the crossbar, on any version. You just use the directional pad and tap which ever way you want for whatever weapon you want. Swords, hit down. Hidden blade, up, Guns, left. Smoke Bombs, left twice.

I like it far better than a weapon wheel, though having played AC 3 on PC, a weapon wheel is far more handy.

I agree then again I am sure once we get used to this style it will be at least IMO better. the one thing I hated about the weapon wheel was how it paused the game when you opened it up.
*clang clang bang* "ok guys wait" Every one stops in mid swing, and the hero then looks through his bag to find his new weapon lol

but so every one knows there is no Wheel any more in AC4.. only quick options

Lokikron
11-22-2013, 05:39 PM

I like it far better than a weapon wheel, though having played AC 3 on PC without a controller, a weapon wheel is far more handy.

So wait wait wait, is this "crossbar" the one shown in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqhDnWT1CFM (Look at ~2:24 for a good example of what I'm talking about, that thing that pops up to select a weapon)?

Because looking at that, it seems like the only way to equip/use/get rid of throwing knives, there's no other way to select them, and there's no keyboard equivalent to bring that weapon select up.

MnemonicSyntax
11-22-2013, 05:55 PM
Yes.

Hopefully there is a way to resolve your issue. When I get home from work I'll try it out and let you know what I come up with.

ace3001
11-23-2013, 04:45 AM

I don't get it. Stolen weapons don't appear in the weapon wheel ever. Once you switch to another weapon, that stolen weapon is lost. That's how it has been with AC games always. Or are the throwing knives in AC IV somehow different? o.O

Lokikron
11-23-2013, 05:14 AM
I don't get it. Stolen weapons don't appear in the weapon wheel ever. Once you switch to another weapon, that stolen weapon is lost. That's how it has been with AC games always. Or are the throwing knives in AC IV somehow different? o.O

In previous ac games "Stolen weapons" were held in the hand, and when they were "lost" they were actually dropped, and could be picked up again (unless the weapon was broken in combat, like a heavy weapon such as a battle axe/halberd, then it was made unusable).

Also in ac3 you could actually sheath "stolen" weapons and keep them, and they would appear on the weapon wheel to select.

It seems knives are listed as a tool in ac4 (so like ammo, like bullets/darts, but you can only carry ONE knife at a time), and are not dropped when switched to a different weapon/tool. Keyboard users are unable to switch back to use the knives picked up.

Solid-Snake-Eyes
11-23-2013, 05:49 AM
The d-pad cross bar thing is such a massive step forward from the horrible weapon UI in AC3, that was awful even on PC with a SSD. I heard that on consoles you had to wait several seconds before the weapon select screen would even load up.

Shadowkiller019
11-25-2013, 10:22 PM
i have gotten the same problem tho for the ship you sort of have it if you press 3 or 4 you have the crossbars vor sing or stop singing. so it is in the game.

Sandrobar.
11-26-2013, 07:58 PM
The d-pad cross bar thing is such a massive step forward from the horrible weapon UI in AC3, that was awful even on PC with a SSD. I heard that on consoles you had to wait several seconds before the weapon select screen would even load up.

ok but if i try the up right left and down buttons only my sight will change

wich butto nare we talking about for that cross-wheel thing?

Zombie844
11-26-2013, 10:52 PM
I found the same thing I do not have a wheel on my mouse and went to remove the button and found I couldn't I guess no 100% for me either kinda stupid if you ask me you could make the mouse wheel T-Z-X-F any of those would have worked but since you have it locked into mouse wheel only I like many will not get to enjoy the full game as you again did not include changing of certain buttons in this case is it possiable to use the AC3 wheel in AC4 for those that do not have a mouse wheel or Can I move a file from AC3 to AC4 and make it work with out a mouse wheel?

IDefectedI
11-26-2013, 11:15 PM
I like the new weapons options but I hate one thing about it. Pressing D pad x2 just to get it moving! When I hit the -pad once, weapons should change without thinking about it.I don't know how many times in battle, my thought process if thrown off balance because of that one annoying flaw. Sometimes I will start fighting with my fists, for no reason at all:confused:

BridgetFisher
11-27-2013, 02:36 AM
why would you want to use a wheel when you can scroll through to the weapon you want one by one?
using a wheel is just lazy.

Shadowkiller019
11-27-2013, 01:33 PM
have you played AC4 on PC? you can't have the weapon wheel and so you can't select every weapon, you can't select the trowing knife!

Shadowkiller019
12-07-2013, 09:02 PM
i am very happy this problem is now somewhat solved, not really a cross but OK.