PDA

View Full Version : [PC] Uplay is destroying my internet connection

Robonatorx
11-21-2013, 05:49 PM
Hey
I have no idea whats wrong with Uplay.
I can download everywhere at every possible speed just fine. I can stay in teamspeak, write people via skype and continue browsing trough the internet like always.
But if i start a download (like now: AC4) my whole internet connection breaks down.
I download the game and suddenly i loose connection to everything. Skype is unable to connect to the internet, i get kicked from my teamspeak server, steam goes to offline mode and every internetsite takes around 30seconds to load.
This only appears if i download with uplay, every single other download thats not via uplay is just running fine.
Is uplay using some kind of p2p connection? because my ping also gets to infinity and beyond and i usually have this only if i am uploading something.
The network settings in uplay aren't really big either.

Tell me, what the hell is wrong?

Aeldir
11-21-2013, 05:59 PM
Same issue here. Normal download speed around 400kB/s, when i try to download AC4 it drops to 2kB/s (2000h estimated time to finish). I lose connection every 30-45 seconds and can't visit any webpage. No solutions..

Robonatorx
11-21-2013, 06:23 PM
I tried limiting the down and upload speed of uplay and now i get the same issue as you have. my downloadspeed goes down to like 9kb/s. Then it goes up again to my limited 1.3mb/s and if i try to access a website it goes down to like 4kb/s or 0kb/s.
I noticed that my ping stays normal now but the jittering / the stabillity of my connection got really bad with an active download.

oh i forgot to mention that i get a paketloss of around 60% if the download is active. and now it wont even start the download anymore. it stays at 0b/s, doesnt matter what i do. this is the worst gamelauncher...

gudlbua
11-21-2013, 06:26 PM
Same issue here. Normal download speed around 400kB/s, when i try to download AC4 it drops to 2kB/s (2000h estimated time to finish). I lose connection every 30-45 seconds and can't visit any webpage. No solutions..

Perfectly describes my problem. I do have a faster internet connection (max is around 6 MB/s) and it speeds up to that, but after a couple of seconds it drops to 2-3 KB/s.

Any solutions?

Edit: When I pause and resume the download, it's once again fine for a couple of seconds and then drops to the pretty crappy speed of 3 kb/s.

Robonatorx
11-21-2013, 06:44 PM
Okay, some of my friends got the same problem now. i tried some other things but nothing worked. i checked my ports etc but forget it...

looks like i have to download the game from somewhere else and hope that copying it into the uplay folder will help.

gudlbua
11-21-2013, 06:55 PM
Hey Robonator, where are you from?
I am just curious if you are from somewhere in my vicinity - doesn't seem like ALL people have the problem as the forum is quite.. empty.
I am from Austria.

Robonatorx
11-21-2013, 07:23 PM
Germany, one of my friends is from Switzerland and the other one is from the UK.
2 Others are from Germany too.

gudlbua
11-21-2013, 07:27 PM
Hallo :)

Right now it's working again, full speed ahead.

DynaPIX
11-21-2013, 10:35 PM
Same problem here but at the same time my download speed on Uplay stays at 0kb/s with an occasional jump to 50kb/s and i get constant "There is a problem connecting to the internet" messages on the Uplay client. 48 hours and assassins creed 4 is still on 25% complete lol, I think I'll just take my free copy from the pirate bay.

smartin13
11-21-2013, 10:50 PM
there is a solution:Try use Proxy server 62.253.249.150 on port 8080
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/709498-UPlay-servers-Game-download-speeds-way-too-slow?p=9390835&viewfull=1#post9390835

DynaPIX
11-21-2013, 11:04 PM
I'm using that now but it still keeps telling me that it cant connect to the internet, and every 2-3mins i have to pause and resume the download or it drops to 0kb/s and stays there.

Robonatorx
11-21-2013, 11:29 PM
Well i got my Version from "somewhere else" now and it looks like uplay is the only game launcher that can't support it this way.
I copied the files into the directory and he says that the files are broken and i should check them, if i try to check them nothing happens. it just got stuck at "initalizing"

The proxy doesn't work. uplay cant start any download if i try it.
Now uplay doesnt even want to start anymore. great. i love this little piece of bad programmed software.

This is hilarious. i cant get it legally and i cant get it illegaly, great. maybe i should request a refund or something.

Another update: if i start the download, pause it, activate the proxy and restart it, i am able to start downloading it, without any other connection problems etc BUT uplay is crying that it cant connect bla bla and my download speed goes from 1.2mb/s down to 0b/s evey few seconds.

I.M.Weazel
11-23-2013, 05:07 PM
Hey
I have no idea whats wrong with Uplay.
I can download everywhere at every possible speed just fine. I can stay in teamspeak, write people via skype and continue browsing trough the internet like always.
But if i start a download (like now: AC4) my whole internet connection breaks down.
I download the game and suddenly i loose connection to everything. Skype is unable to connect to the internet, i get kicked from my teamspeak server, steam goes to offline mode and every internetsite takes around 30seconds to load.
This only appears if i download with uplay, every single other download thats not via uplay is just running fine.
Is uplay using some kind of p2p connection? because my ping also gets to infinity and beyond and i usually have this only if i am uploading something.
The network settings in uplay aren't really big either.

Tell me, what the hell is wrong?

Me and my friend are having the same issue. The download speed itself seems to be alright (somewhere between 200 kB/s and 2 MB/s -> not too great on a 30 Mbit/s connection, but not too bad either), but the rest of the internet is basically down. Trying to start a speed test while Uplay downloaded something gave a timeout error while checking the ping.
We're both on the same network, so it could be something there as well (or the ISP, of course), but the fact that it can be reproduced at any time, and that everything goes back to normal as soon as the download in Uplay stops, shows that it's very likely something with Uplay, nothing else.
It probably doesn't matter anyway, but we're located in Ireland, ISP is UPC.

By the way, this topic seems to be related: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/810878-Uplay-continually-opens-and-closes-TCP-connections-while-downloading

LESZ3u
11-23-2013, 09:51 PM
Same here guys. I always buying original games, but I feel, like a gamer of 2nd category. I'm pretty sure, that illegal ones haven't got any problems with download and playing...

FatBaron
11-23-2013, 10:19 PM
Is anyone encountering problems using the Killer E2200 network chipset, too?

Hunter_1988
11-24-2013, 01:34 PM
I am also encountering this problem, the download settles at 25 kb/s and my internet is completely unusable for anything else.

Heucuva
11-27-2013, 07:44 PM
Me and my friend are having the same issue. The download speed itself seems to be alright (somewhere between 200 kB/s and 2 MB/s -> not too great on a 30 Mbit/s connection, but not too bad either), but the rest of the internet is basically down. Trying to start a speed test while Uplay downloaded something gave a timeout error while checking the ping.
We're both on the same network, so it could be something there as well (or the ISP, of course), but the fact that it can be reproduced at any time, and that everything goes back to normal as soon as the download in Uplay stops, shows that it's very likely something with Uplay, nothing else.
It probably doesn't matter anyway, but we're located in Ireland, ISP is UPC.

By the way, this topic seems to be related: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/810878-Uplay-continually-opens-and-closes-TCP-connections-while-downloading

Thanks for linking to my thread - unfortunately, it seems like the forum heads have decided to nuke the thread into oblivion. Guess they didn't find the information in there useful at all. <sarcasm/>

LESZ3u
11-29-2013, 09:41 PM
I didn't want to say it, but Ubi - I hate you! It's one week from premiere and I can't even download my game! Do you made any steps to make it works?

Rivianer
12-01-2013, 05:28 PM
Same here, I'm from Germany. Installed NetBalancer just to try reducing the incredible download leech of Uplay, but it's the same issue like the one that was already mentioned here: The download rate slows down to absurd values below 10 kbps (if I limited the rate to 800 kbps max.. makes no sense at all!)! Ubisoft more and more pisses me of every day.. Go on like this, and you will get what you deserve. League of amateurs!! Steam is still the best client out there.. sadly, one still has to download the game via Upay -.-

EDIT:

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/709498-UPlay-servers-Game-download-speeds-way-too-slow?p=9390835&viewfull=1#post9390835

That hint just gave my Uplay download speed a nice boost. It really seems to work somehow- it's definitely worth a try!

eberg86
12-05-2013, 03:26 AM
I just bought AC4 and most of the dlc and I am having the same fin problem!!! Starts out fine, then drops to 0 and the actual internet on my modem turns red! I have never experienced a problem like this with any other download manager. I tried the proxy above and uplay will not connect at all now.

Jamodd
12-08-2013, 06:29 AM
I have literally the exact problem. AC4 starts to download at around 1.5mb/s then after a few minutes the speed drops to 0 or maybe a few bytes/second. This also appears to disrupt the entire wireless network that i'm operating on, essentially shutting down my router. Im downloading it on a new computer that i just built so i though it had something to do with the new Wireless Adapter that i had installed, but after checking, im unable to find anything wrong. I just want to play..

FatBaron
12-08-2013, 04:55 PM
I have literally the exact problem. AC4 starts to download at around 1.5mb/s then after a few minutes the speed drops to 0 or maybe a few bytes/second. This also appears to disrupt the entire wireless network that i'm operating on, essentially shutting down my router. Im downloading it on a new computer that i just built so i though it had something to do with the new Wireless Adapter that i had installed, but after checking, im unable to find anything wrong. I just want to play..

Welcome to the club. Can you check the bandwidth usage of your internet connection? For me uplay uses 3 Mbit while downloading only a few Kbit.

Deviija
12-11-2013, 09:30 PM
The exact same problem(s) verbatim that Robonator's op post, DynaPix, and Aeldir describe is happening to me. I try downloading AC4 in Uplay, and everything about my internet slows to a snail's crawl, steam and other programs disconnect (no doubt due to Uplay seeming to eat up everything or clog up everything), yet still I only get 0/sec download. It hops up to 100 kb/s for a second every five minutes or so, but then immediately is back down to 0 again. Doesn't matter if it's at 0 or 100 kb/s, it still hogs up everything and makes even trying to open these forum pages a chore in fiddling. Also, the forced proxy mentioned earlier doesn't work any differently for me. Same things.

This is my first Ubisoft PC game and my first time using Uplay. I thought it was on my end, but I'm really glad (after many hours of searching) that I found others with these very issues I suffer from. It may not be any solution, but at least I'm not alone in the problem.

mm892
12-12-2013, 09:42 PM
Same here with AC4 with exact the same symptoms, no issues at all to download splinter cell or some demo via uplay but once I start AC4 download the downlink gets saturated (or how to express that the router shows that uplay occupies all bandwidth) but at the same time uplay pretends that it downloads with speed at 0B/s. Support told me that they run out of ideas so my hope is now that someone was able to fix the issue and would provide some hints. What the hell does it only applies to AC4 and not to any other game via uplay? Have also found videos on youtube where people are showing same effect.

UbiVolfbane
12-13-2013, 12:03 AM
If you are having any issues while downloading anything through Uplay, please make sure that there are no other background programs running or using bandwidth. Temporarily disable any firewalls or antivirus programs in the meantime, please be sure that your ISP or network admin does not restrict any ports that are currently being used. Uplay uses the following ports: TCP: 80, 443, 13000, 14000, 14008
If possible try another connection to see if it continues. Sorry for the inconvenience, everyone. Please provide as much info to see if we are able to assist you.If you have not, please contact Support with your dxdiag, msinfo and the name of your ISP. You may contact Support directly with the links in my signature.

JohnMcL7
12-13-2013, 01:07 AM
I'm also having the same problem, Uplay is maxing out my connection but it's downloading at a trickle of a speed. I've tried two completely different machines and they're both doing exactly the same, the following screenshot highlights the issue:

http://johnmcl7.smugmug.com/Other/General/i-qm8djX7/0/O/Uplay_issue.jpg

As you can see according to Uplay it's downloading at around 55KB/s (just under 0.5MB/s) but task manager shows specifically Uplay is maxing out my connection (around 3.8Mb/s) and the router shows exactly the same (my PC is the one labelled Phalanx). My service provider agrees with the router and PC as their systems show I downloaded a lot of data consistent with the maxing out of the connection yet bizarrely the Uplay client shows very little data downloaded.

I have contacted technical support but their solution was to try downloading at off peak times, they didn't seem to understand the problem isn't just that it's slow but that it's using all available bandwidth and using up my data allowance yet still downloading at a trickle according to the Uplay client. If it was just slow I could leave it trickling the data down 24/7 but as it makes my connection completely usable when it's open and it would blow my monthly cap in a few days, I can't do that - there's clearly something quite wrong.

John

mm892
12-13-2013, 02:03 AM
If you are having any issues while downloading anything through Uplay, please make sure that there are no other background programs running or using bandwidth. Temporarily disable any firewalls or antivirus programs in the meantime, please be sure that your ISP or network admin does not restrict any ports that are currently being used. Uplay uses the following ports: TCP: 80, 443, 13000, 14000, 14008
If possible try another connection to see if it continues. Sorry for the inconvenience, everyone. Please provide as much info to see if we are able to assist you.If you have not, please contact Support with your dxdiag, msinfo and the name of your ISP. You may contact Support directly with the links in my signature.

Strange thing is that it only applies to AC4 in my case. I did download splinter cell black list few days ago without problems and with decent speed, some time earlier far cry 3 and for test purpose I just added the shoot mania elite demo to my uplay account and also here the download works with decent speed. So what is the difference when it comes to AC4? Don't think that uplay uses any other ports in this case and always same background programs are running. If I would have a generic issue with uplay I would start to wonder what other programs might affect but if only one download out of many is failing I cannot believe that it is caused by any port settings in firewall etc.

Is there any option to trace what uplay is doing? It seems to download something as the downlink is fully saturated but for some reason none of those bytes seems to be meant for AC4.......wonder what data is downloaded here

JohnMcL7
12-13-2013, 02:35 AM
Is there any option to trace what uplay is doing? It seems to download something as the downlink is fully saturated but for some reason none of those bytes seems to be meant for AC4.......wonder what data is downloaded here

Yes there is, Microsoft offer a free tool called Process Monitor which is part of the Sysinternals suite - it allows you to pull out very detailed information about exactly what processes are doing and in this case, you can set it to show what files uplay.exe is writing to. I have looked at this but it doesn't make much sense, it shows the client as constantly writing to these files:

D:\Applications\Uplay\Ubisoft Game Launcher\games\Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag\uplay_download\273\AB33C51EB899BEE3A65D4AB1C5 BFC0D00F09095B.state
D:\Applications\Uplay\Ubisoft Game Launcher\games\Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag\uplay_download\273\DataPC.forge
D:\Applications\Uplay\Ubisoft Game Launcher\games\Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag\uplay_download\273\AC4BFMP.exe
D:\Applications\Uplay\Ubisoft Game Launcher\logs\launcher_log.txt
D:\Applications\Uplay\Ubisoft Game Launcher\cache\http2\data_1

Those files aren't actually changing so I set the view to exclude all them as well and it now shows this file as being written to:

D:\Applications\Uplay\Ubisoft Game Launcher\games\Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag\uplay_download\273\DataPC_Abstergo.forge

That file isn't changing either though, perhaps it sets up the file information the populates it? I've checked my drives to see which one is reducing in free space but they're staying the same, there must be some way the client keeps track of what it's downloaded as it seems unique to each computer - when I copied the data across to another PC it started at 0 again.

John

JohnMcL7
12-13-2013, 03:10 AM
Surprisingly, while experimenting with the client the speed has picked up - it's now showing as downloading at around 400KB/s (Kilobytes). What's also interesting is that while task manager still shows the same 3.4Mb/s (megabits), it's now showing uplay as writing to the hard drive at 0.4 MB/s (megabytes) whereas before even though uplay.exe was showing the 3.4Mb/s download, it wasn't showing much disk activity. I'll leave the machine running tonight and see how it gets on but in over a week of downloading I've never seen it run at this speed.

The only thing that's changed is uplay as it got an update tonight, I wonder if that has anything to do with it. This is nothing more than a guess but I'm wondering if there's a bug in the way the software identifies what files it needs so it constantly downloads files but they're not actually needed so while the connection is being maxed out, the Uplay client is showing what data has actually progressed.

John

mm892
12-13-2013, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the hint with the sysinternals, I also found strange information from launcher_log.txt file. I shows tons of entries like

[ 344] 2013-12-13 11:52:57 [14856] ERROR InetHttpConnection.cpp (851) Read from http://static19.cdn.ubi.com/d1/uplaypcs/downloads/PC/273/slices/...... timed out.[ 344] 2013-12-13 11:52:57 [14856] INFO TCPSocket.cpp (718) Read complete but no socket.

Different files under slices, so not permanently reading the same

From time to time I have a very short moment where the download speed goes up to 100kB/s but only for 1-2 seconds and then back to 0B/s....did achieve in 12 hours approx. 365MB out of 23149MB...so it will take ages.

Not sure if it matters but I'm using windows 8.1 64bit (16GB RAM in place) and the uplay is installed to drive D:, but both uplay and also game directories are on same drive.

Update: During the last 2 hours I was able to download 1364MB for Shoot Mania Elite demo, but once I add AC4 download also SME download stalls. So for some reason it seems to be no generic uplay issue but something strange with AC4....could it be that we loop the very same file over and over again? And what is the issue with the "no socket"?

Ubi-Lhainiev
12-13-2013, 05:57 PM
Hi All - Please do as Volfbane suggested; and if you have a minute to contact Support with your findings, that may help a lot. I'll also add to the report that gets sent to the team.

JohnMcL7
12-13-2013, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the hint with the sysinternals, I also found strange information from launcher_log.txt file. I shows tons of entries like

Different files under slices, so not permanently reading the same

I think when I had a look at that file there was nothing interesting in mine but will have another look particularly if it did manage to keep the sustained higher speed last night (I haven't checked this morning yet)

From time to time I have a very short moment where the download speed goes up to 100kB/s but only for 1-2 seconds and then back to 0B/s....did achieve in 12 hours approx. 365MB out of 23149MB...so it will take ages.

Not sure if it matters but I'm using windows 8.1 64bit (16GB RAM in place) and the uplay is installed to drive D:, but both uplay and also game directories are on same drive.

The only part of that which may matter I think is using the secondary drive, I've had exactly the same problem on my microserver and my gaming PC despite both being very different machines - the microserver has a low power dual core Athlon, 4GB ram and is running Windows Home Server 2011 (which is similar to Windows 7 x64) and the gaming machine has a high power processor, decent chunk of ram and Windows 8 x64, they were both installing to drive D.

Update: During the last 2 hours I was able to download 1364MB for Shoot Mania Elite demo, but once I add AC4 download also SME download stalls. So for some reason it seems to be no generic uplay issue but something strange with AC4....could it be that we loop the very same file over and over again? And what is the issue with the "no socket"?

My thought is there is something wrong with the way the Uplay client determines what files have been downloaded and which ones it needs so it's repeatedly downloading data that it then discards and the Uplay client is measuring what actual usable data has been downloaded and calculates the speed from that. It's the only logical explanation I can think of as to why the Uplay client shows a slow data transfer and very little data downloaded (or even none at all) but it's actually maxing out the bandwidth and downloading loads of data and why it would only be happening with one game (yet to test another game myself)

John

JohnMcL7
12-13-2013, 07:33 PM
Hi All - Please do as Volfbane suggested; and if you have a minute to contact Support with your findings, that may help a lot. I'll also add to the report that gets sent to the team.

I've taken the steps suggested but I don't think that's where the problem lies, the client appears to be connecting fine and downloading data right down to the machine but for some reason most of this data is being discarded or not used for some reason. I have contacted support but they don't seem to understand the issue either, they just assumed it was a slow network issue which it isn't. I have provided them with a more detailed response but yet to hear back.

John

viledude
12-14-2013, 10:23 AM
Im having the same issue. It took me 2 days to dl Splinter Cell Blacklist. Guess what happens halfway through install? a crc error. lol i guess all the pausing and resuming messed something up.. i wouldnt have had to pause it if it wasnt destroying my internet too. So do i waste another 2 days of pausing and resuming a download to play the game? hmmm i think not. email me when this garbage gets fixed.

mm892
12-17-2013, 02:32 AM
I've taken the steps suggested but I don't think that's where the problem lies, the client appears to be connecting fine and downloading data right down to the machine but for some reason most of this data is being discarded or not used for some reason. I have contacted support but they don't seem to understand the issue either, they just assumed it was a slow network issue which it isn't. I have provided them with a more detailed response but yet to hear back.

John

Did you get any response from support? So far everything I have received is that I should deactivate firewall and virus scanner and ensure that all necessary ports are opened. Support seems not to understand that uplay has (at least for me) only issues with this particular game while other downloads with uplay were OK, seems they send only generic standard phrases back :(

Update: In another 5 hours with a 2 MBit connection I was able to download another 400 MB, but the router shows a fully used bandwidth during the last 5 hours. Once I stop the download it goes down to normal.

Xadrez21
12-18-2013, 02:18 PM

Same problem here....this PROXY server doesn´t work.
I need to download a 5 GB update now and my connection is below 1 kb/sec. also, my entire internet connection stopped.
I dunno whats happening with UPLAY but its VERY VERY BAD.

Xadrez21
12-18-2013, 02:45 PM

Doesnt work. Already disabled windows firewall, antivirus, opened TCP ports 80, 443, 13000 , 13200-13999, 14000, 14008 and everything. Uplay keeps taking 100% of my bandwidth and doesnt download a single KB. all the other programs work just fine. my connection is just fine, the problem is with UPLAY client. But i have a solution for it. Dear Ubisoft, bend over and accept that your client is ****ty. Give some $$$ to valve and buy their client as well. Problem solved!

mm892
12-18-2013, 10:16 PM
Doesnt work. Already disabled windows firewall, antivirus, opened TCP ports 80, 443, 13000 , 13200-13999, 14000, 14008 and everything. Uplay keeps taking 100% of my bandwidth and doesnt download a single KB. all the other programs work just fine. my connection is just fine, the problem is with UPLAY client. But i have a solution for it. Dear Ubisoft, bend over and accept that your client is ****ty. Give some $$$ to valve and buy their client as well. Problem solved!
But is it a generic uplay issue for you or also valid only for AC 4? If you add for test purpose a demo to your account and test if download works for that one. Would really help if there would be some debug version to see what is actually downloaded and why the data is discarded.....but how to explain this to ubi support...they close the case after sending the "default answers" with a comment something like that they have already shared all known solutions...they do not even keep on trying to find a solution, at least not in my case :(

mm892
12-18-2013, 10:32 PM
Started uplay once more today and after an update for uplay was applied it starts to download finally something for AC4. In between speed goes back to 0 (and complains for a short moment about issue with internet connection) but it starts again after a while with the download. At least some light at the end of the tunnel....

Update: Unfortunetaly after 2-3 minutes it stopped again totally with the download and stopping + resuming download does not help at all. laucher_log is filled again with tons of messages like

[ 4620] 2013-12-18 22:34:52 [ 3276] ERROR TCPSocket.cpp (442) WSA error 10054.
[ 4620] 2013-12-18 22:34:52 [ 3276] ERROR DownloadSlice.cpp (113) Failed to get slice with url http://static19.cdn.ubi.com/d1/uplaypcs/downloads/PC/273/..... Status code is 0.
[ 4620] 2013-12-18 22:35:07 [ 3276] ERROR InetHttpConnection.cpp (851) Read from http://static19.cdn.ubi.com/d1/uplaypcs/downloads/PC/273/slices/... timed out.
[ 4620] 2013-12-18 22:35:07 [ 3276] INFO TCPSocket.cpp (718) Read complete but no socket.

Xadrez21
12-19-2013, 01:47 PM
Its a Uplay issue. I have tried to download another games in uplay and it does the same. Kill all the bandwidth and doesnt download properly.
They did the same to me...default answers and the ticket is closed. This Uplay client has several problems, i bet it has something to do with windows firewall/configs too.

Ubi-Lhainiev
12-19-2013, 03:58 PM
For those having issues with downloading, please see Volfbane's response below and also feel free to check out the following support article http://goo.gl/9tiUKy You can find a list of firewalls/anti-virus programs that tend to interfere with Uplay. Most importantly though, please contact Support.

mm892
12-19-2013, 10:50 PM
Its a Uplay issue. I have tried to download another games in uplay and it does the same. Kill all the bandwidth and doesnt download properly.
They did the same to me...default answers and the ticket is closed. This Uplay client has several problems, i bet it has something to do with windows firewall/configs too.

Then there are different issues in place: If I start the download for a test game (Shootmania Storm Elite Demo) it starts right away with full speed, no speed drop in between, no longer break in download progress. If I add AC4 Special edition download then also shootmania SE download stops, only every few seconds a very short indication with low download speed, AC4 SE download as before - doing almost nothing all the time. Then I stop the AC4 SE download and Shootmania SE download continues with normal speed. So in may case it is only AC4 SE, as mentioned earlier I was able to fully download FC3 and Splinter cell black list without any problems so I really wonder why AC4 download via uplay would now use other ports than the other games. So for me it looks more like an issue with download control for AC4 SE rather than generic uplay thing. What do you think?

AsinMS
12-19-2013, 11:44 PM
For those having issues with downloading, please see Volfbane's response below and also feel free to check out the following support article http://goo.gl/9tiUKy You can find a list of firewalls/anti-virus programs that tend to interfere with Uplay. Most importantly though, please contact Support.

but if the connection crashed only wen i download AC4 black flag, i can download other games at full speed but ac4 only at 10-15 kb and my connection and client crash.... my firewall and antivirus only block ac4, seriously?? (15days more and i can play... but realy this is my last game buyed at uplay)

mm892
12-19-2013, 11:53 PM
but if the connection crashed only wen i download AC4 black flag, i can download other games at full speed but ac4 only at 10-15 kb and my connection and client crash.... my firewall and antivirus only block ac4, seriously?? (15days more and i can play... but realy this is my last game buyed at uplay)
That's exactly what I also tried to clarify in my previous posts and in my question towards the support but it seems everyone assumes that it has to be a generic uplay issue which it is not in this case.

Xadrez21
12-20-2013, 05:30 AM
That's exactly what I also tried to clarify in my previous posts and in my question towards the support but it seems everyone assumes that it has to be a generic uplay issue which it is not in this case.

:mad:For me its for ALL games on UPLAY. Tried to download Shootmania Demo, AC II, Brotherhood and ALL those games act the same. No download speed and bandwidth at 100%. I am considering download control by ubisoft. Already contacted support, opened 2 tickets, made everything Ubi-Lhainiev and Volfbane said.....and NOTHING works.

Im done with uplay. that was the last game i would buy from ubisoft. really tired of this crap.

JohnMcL7
12-21-2013, 09:09 PM
Did you get any response from support? So far everything I have received is that I should deactivate firewall and virus scanner and ensure that all necessary ports are opened. Support seems not to understand that uplay has (at least for me) only issues with this particular game while other downloads with uplay were OK, seems they send only generic standard phrases back :(

Update: In another 5 hours with a 2 MBit connection I was able to download another 400 MB, but the router shows a fully used bandwidth during the last 5 hours. Once I stop the download it goes down to normal.

No, I got basically as you - a useless generic response about trying to download off peak. I updated my ticket explaining the issue in detail back on the 12th and had absolutely nothing since then. The only forum response seems to be to contact technical support and to repeat the firewall advice, I explained why that wasn't the problem but I see the forum staff ignored that post and just parroted the same incorrect advice about firewalls.

My thinking is there's two problems on the go:
- the servers hosting the content for the region we are downloading from are insufficient and unable to consistently serve content at a reasonable speed. Reading through topics people have noted they can download some games fine but not others, some report no problems at all so I assume Ubisoft has a load balanced system of servers covering different regions and I suspect in some regions, the content hosting servers are slower or more limited.
- there's a bug in the Uplay client that means regardless of the actual speed it is downloading the data at, it will max out all available bandwidth and download large amounts of data despite only downloading data at a trickle. I've no idea how this could be happening.

The other issue is as far I'm aware you can't backup or transfer content from one machine to another so I can't use my quiet low power machine for downloading the game as it's stuck there, instead I have to use my power hungry gaming machine, it's completely wasteful leaving it on for long periods of time doing very little when it doesn't need to be.

What's clear is that this issue is affecting many different PC's, configurations, service providers and territories so it's a fault with the Ubisoft system yet as they're burying their head in the sand over these issues I've no confidence there's going to be any resolution any time soon.

John

ToxicStrike91
12-22-2013, 01:34 AM
It is too heavy It takes up 50+% cpu unless its in offline mode
it goes like this
online: 56%
offline: 02 %
here is the problem. If uplay takes up all of my resources in online mode, and I buy a game for online (far cry3) then I cant play it, what did I pay for?
<deletion>. why must uplay online take up 50% of my cpu why cant you guys make the games lighter so that the games are I dont know PLAYABLE? I diddnt pay for the game to just have to stick to singleplayer, and I will not bee getting another product from ubi.

Malc360
12-22-2013, 01:57 PM
My thinking is there's two problems on the go:
- the servers hosting the content for the region we are downloading from are insufficient and unable to consistently serve content at a reasonable speed. Reading through topics people have noted they can download some games fine but not others, some report no problems at all so I assume Ubisoft has a load balanced system of servers covering different regions and I suspect in some regions, the content hosting servers are slower or more limited.
- there's a bug in the Uplay client that means regardless of the actual speed it is downloading the data at, it will max out all available bandwidth and download large amounts of data despite only downloading data at a trickle. I've no idea how this could be happening.

I have another theory. I think that uPlay is for some reason connecting to way too many download sources, maxing out the simultaneous connections on our lines much like a DDOS attack, or a torrent which has too many connected peers. Maybe this causes the router or computer to reset or flush the connections resulting in the speed drop to 0? Not sure about that part.

What I do know is that it's very very annoying and needs to be acknowledged by ubisoft in the very least.! I've been downloading splinter cell and ACIV constantly for the last 3-4 days now :nonchalance:

Del-Dredd
12-26-2013, 11:55 PM

That info has been used a number of times and does absolutely nothing to fix the issue with UPlay and AC4 in particular.
Maxing out peoples connections while downloading none of the data required is a problem with UPlay not with peoples machines, can you lot even read.

Sending out useless cut and paste answers that do nothing to address the issue to tickets and then closing them is not how Support should work.

somecartoonist
12-28-2013, 08:08 PM
Hey guys and gals,

I would really like to see Ubisoft give us more advance preferences for managing our speeds. It appears Uplay is using (P2P) to handle downloads/uploads. If you are going to put us in the chain of distribution then we need to be able to control what we "give" and what we "get." Right now when I am downloading something everything on my network comes to a screeching halt. That is because Uplay seems to be giving all my upload bandwidth away. As a result any outbound packets for requests to other services is near impossible.

Please either take me out of the link of distribution or at the very least give me a way to define how much I want to give.

Brian Dunaway
The Final Score : The Video Game Podcast For The Rest Of Us
http://finalscoreshow.com
@tfsshow

mroczek123
01-01-2014, 04:45 PM
I have the same problem :(. Ubisoft please do something.

Ubi-Lhainiev
01-02-2014, 03:57 PM
Somecartoonist - Thank you for your constructive feedback. I will be happy to pass this on for you.

For some of you experiencing issues with download speeds, have you tried connecting directly to the modem via ethernet cable, rather than downloading via wifi? (If you are using wifi) this seemed to clear up another players issue. Not being in technical Support, this is only a suggestion given by another player.

Mroczek and the rest - This forum is a place for gamers to leave feedback and suggestions. The moderators collect the feedback and pass it on via reports, however, you are still required to connect with Ubisoft Support, as issues are often isolated cases too. You won't always find a solution from another player here. Please see the links below to contact Support.

Also note - the forums are not a substitute for technical support and we do not have access to Uplay accounts or technical Support tools.

Xadrez21
01-05-2014, 01:19 AM
Dear Ubi-Lhainiev,

I know that you are just a forum moderator and have no acess to uplay accounts or tech support. Thank you for your effort to solve our problems and issues.
The real situation here is that Ubisoft has no conditions or will to solve our problems. After many tickets opened to ask for help, the answer i get is the one i paste here:

It took 11 days for me to get a response. They tried to answer in a really bad portuguese (im brazilian, portuguese is different from portugal).
The translation is something like this:

"Thank you for contacting ubisoft support. For us to answer this please update your issue. (Do not create a new one).
Im deeply sorry you have problems and please accept our sincerely apologies for taking so long to answer your email.
Please inform if you still have the problem related here. We are still at your service, for anything you need. Regards."

[ THIS IS THE ORIGINAL TEXT FROM UBISOFT SUPPORT ]
Paula - 12/29/2013 10:51:20 PM
Prezado Cliente Obrigado por contactar o serviço de atendimento técnico da Ubisoft, *** A fim de responder a este e-mail, por favor atualize o incidente (Por favor, não crie um novo incidente) *** Lamento imenso que ainda esteja tendo problemas e peço que aceite as nossas mais sinceras desculpas pelo atraso em lhe responder ao seu email. Peço que nos informe se ainda deseja ajuda. Continuamos ao seu dispôr, para o que necessitar. *** Serviço em Português - Servicio en Español - Service en Français - Dienst auf Deutsch - Servizio in Italiano *** Atenciosamente, Paula

Xadrez21 - 12/18/2013 1:28:25 PM
I have a problem regarding downloading updates. Uplay client uses 100% of my bandwidth and doesnt download the updates..... I have prints from my screen when downloading....the client seems to download something but the counter doesnt move....also.... It took about 6 ENTIRE DAYS 24 hours to download the game. 22 GB. Now i need to download the 5 GB update and im really upset. I believe till christmas ill have it done. Already tried to disable Windows firewall and AVG antivirus....it doesnt work.

mtbliss4u
01-05-2014, 09:01 AM
I'm sure their servers are getting hammered from all of the holiday bundles that were sold. I'm disappointed that they aren't or weren't prepared for the overload of downloads. I've been downloading Assassin's Creed IV for approximately 9 hours or so across my 14 Mbps link. Uplay isn't servicing my download any faster than 2 MB/s. I've lost count. Uplay has lost its STEAM. Very disappointed since this is my first experience with Uplay.

Xcell_Miguel
01-06-2014, 06:53 PM
It's not a problem with the servers, it's a problem with UPlay's way of downloading.

UPlay enables 10 connections at the same time (as NetBalancer shows) and so downloads from 10 servers (most of the time from the same server), thus it gives more priority to UPlay, as routers usualy split the download speed between each connections.

So UPlay with its 10 connections (or more ?) downloading at fullspeed, is getting more priority as it overloads the bandwith, and simple connections asking for pages, images, ... get stuck and take forever.

There is also another problem mentioned here, when you limit UPlay's download speed with NetBalancer or other programs, NetBalancer (and Windows, and the router) shows that UPlay is downloading up to this limit, but UPlay goes wrong and seems to lose packets as it tels it's dowloading very slowly and far from the limit, but the bandwith is still consumed by UPlay.

For example, last night I downloaded AC4's DLC, it weights approximately 5 GB, UPlay was limited to 200 KB/s (I only have 350 KB/s and the 10 connections UPlay uses make internet unbrowsable), but UPlay was showing it was downloading at only 10-50 KB/s, and after 8 hours of downloading at around 200KB/s for real, NetBalancer said UPlay downloaded 8 GB (for a 5 GB DLC...), and UPlay was telling 3 GB left...
So it actually only really downloaded 2 GB, in 8 hours at 200 KB/s, that's not possible, there is a real problem in UPlay's way of handling downloads.

At least, only try to add more connections when the fullspeed is not reach, why open 10 or more connections when only one can reach the max of our little bandwidth ?
Or add an option to limit speed in UPlay, or limit the number of open connections while downloading.

In the end I had to disable NetBalancer to let UPlay overload my connection and download at fullspeed, meaning that I couldn't use internet on any of my devices as UPlay was getting every single bit of it.

L.E.G.I.0.N
01-07-2014, 11:13 AM
Just tried downloading assassin's creed 4 and it started fine but then the same thing happens to me. Totally hogs my dsl bandwidth and proceeds to shut my net down and have to wait for it to reconnect.

mm892
01-09-2014, 12:47 AM
Just for my understanding as I'm still struggling with the download: Is this behavior to use 10 or more simultaneous connections something that is used only for AC4 (is the configuration how uplay establishes the connections defined for every game separately) as other downloads work? Maybe some setting could be tuned here. Some suggestions were to use ethernet instead of Wifi, I'm using ethernet here but my our DSL connection here is provided via Wifi and there are no other operators available that could provide a fixed line DSL connection (and I rather would not change my ISP only for AC4 :O ).
I got the game as an add on with a new NVidia graphic card and along with AC4 I also got uplay code for splinter cell black list which uplay did download without any problems. So obviously uplay or the corresponding ubi servers behave a bit smarter in this case.

ancalimonungol
01-09-2014, 05:20 AM
Adding port 80 to the QOS settings of your modem helps a little about being able to browse http pages while UPlay is downloading.

It seems like the only solution to this problem is UbiSoft adding an option to limit download speed of Uplay at the moment.

kenetix
01-14-2014, 06:24 PM
ok guys another Proxy is (Location: Germany) 85.214.245.58:3128 !!!
Uptime 99%

Put it in under Settings => Network => Proxysettings !!!
if you need a new or if it even not work, look here: http://www.proxy-listen.de/Proxy/Proxyliste.html
and try one of them ! Have a nice week :)

mroczek123
01-19-2014, 11:45 AM
Hi there. I don't know how but download speed fixed automatically. I reinstalled Windows 7, turned off firewall, updated drivers and used tips for Ghost Recon Onlinehttp://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/685704-Having-download-problems-READ-THIS. If somebody fixed too, let us know. Now I can play Assassins creed IV: black flag multiplayer ;).

JohnMcL7
01-22-2014, 02:30 AM
Just for my understanding as I'm still struggling with the download: Is this behavior to use 10 or more simultaneous connections something that is used only for AC4 (is the configuration how uplay establishes the connections defined for every game separately) as other downloads work? Maybe some setting could be tuned here. Some suggestions were to use ethernet instead of Wifi, I'm using ethernet here but my our DSL connection here is provided via Wifi and there are no other operators available that could provide a fixed line DSL connection (and I rather would not change my ISP only for AC4 :O ).
I got the game as an add on with a new NVidia graphic card and along with AC4 I also got uplay code for splinter cell black list which uplay did download without any problems. So obviously uplay or the corresponding ubi servers behave a bit smarter in this case.

Unless you're having noticeable wifi issues, it's unlikely that ethernet is going to resolve the issue. I can see in some specific cases that connecting over ethernet would resolve connection issues as there's potentially a lot of issues with wireless that can affect network performance but whatever the issue is with Uplay it's not caused by using a wifi connection nor through using a router. I have tried two very different PC's, both connected through ethernet on different service providers and I have exactly the same problem of the slow downloads on both with Uplay, both systems are capable of high speed downloads with other systems.

Also, occasionally I have seen quicker downloads when nothing on my machine has changed although frustratingly those moments are brief. I thought I'd give it another go to see if speed had picked up after the Christmas rush but still crawling along and I see Ubisoft technical support are as hopeless as ever.

John

Willey
01-23-2014, 02:27 PM
Uplay seems to "torrent" when downloading games. Bad habit without informing the user if you ask me.
My connection stays up, but I can't do anything on the internet because uplay eats my whole upload bandwith and it's impossible to limit the usage in uplay. I'd set it to 96KB/s (out of 128KB/s max for my connection) and everything would be fine. But now it feels like a 56k modem until the DL is done...

dva99
01-29-2014, 10:52 AM
Hi guys,

I'm/was in the same situation as you I guess,
Had to reinstall Win XP and Vista and all software including Steam, Origin and Uplay. Five games with Steam at download speed around 7-9 MB/s and the same for Origin but then it was time to download my games with Uplay. There's something seriously wrong with Uplay. "problems with Internet connection" or a download speed at 5-10 kB/s.

The strange thing is that 10 minutes later I try to download AC4 again and the download speed is at 10 MB/s. Maybe Uplay only can handle one client at a time?

Kept the post up until Uplay was finished downloading. The speed was around 8-10 MB/s all the time so now I have AC4. Don't think I dare to uninstall any game in Uplay again.

And btw, I used the deafult (automatic) proxy.

Good luck guys

Olahorand
02-01-2014, 12:36 PM
As soon as I start uplay for downloading, it hogs up the complete bandwidth of my DSL6000 in a manner, that even a simple permanent ping to a well reachable website is facing huge packet loss.
Since closing uplay immediately restores the reliability of Internet connection, and uplay is the only software, which causes such misbehavior, its unacceptable.
Especially since other services/machines rely on this connection.
Will never touch an Ubisoft game again with uplay required!

Edit: Just downloaded the free edition of Netbalancer and limited UPLAY bandwidth to half of my total. No longer Internet outages.

smoothcicle
02-02-2014, 05:22 PM
Same here. Downloading AC IV right now via Uplay and it completely and utterly destroys my bandwidth to where even trying to go to google.com takes, well, I dunno, so far I'm at 90+ seconds...and that's only because I'm curious how long it's going to take (since typing all of this it still hasn't connected, it stopped trying, updated the window title to Google and shows a blank screen). Nobody is going to wait a minute and a half for a simple search engine page to come up nor should they have to. I don't have any network tools but via Task Manager under Networking I'm showing a 9% network utilization (lies) and at most 2% CPU usage but my ability to use the Internet is crippled.

This is a problem with Uplay and not anything else running in the background because as soon as I pause the download like magic I can browse the Internet like normal. I shouldn't have to configure firewalls in any special way or run any secondary software to free up bandwidth. There is absolutely zero excuse for a large company like Ubisoft to release a product that is required to download its games that behaves like this. Zero. It's bad enough it's forced on Ubisoft products purchased through Steam (redundant and pointless).

If Ubisoft reads this take note that I promise I will never buy any of your products until this fiasco is fixed (follow my Uplay account). From what I've read through this thread your tech support is incompetent (probably not their fault because I suspect that Ubisoft has outsourced it to somewhere cheap and they're just following cue cards developed by Ubisoft) and the company as a whole apparently does not care nor do they even want to look in to it based on how long it's been a problem with no response from Ubisoft acknowledging it.

I'm glad that I got this game and Splinter Cell for free when I bought my 780 because if I had paid money to support such a product and have my internet usage ability destroyed I'd be royally POd. Wait, I actually I did, I bought FC3 :(

I'm only one person and I know Ubisoft won't notice my lack of financial input but it's a matter of principle. I was considering the new SP game but not any more. Thanks for making up my mind for me Ubi! $60 will go elsewhere. Also means no profit from me for FC4, any Call of Juarez titles (I played one of the demos and liked it), Rayman Legends, any of the previous AC titles if I wind up liking Black Flag, Rocksmith (was also on the fence), Anno 2070, Rayman titles (I had one before I sold my Wii and found it fun to play with the gf), and any future titles.

Fix. Your. Broken. Software. Please.

Ubi-Leorthian
02-03-2014, 06:06 PM
Hello Olahorand and smoothcicle,

Did the issues you experienced only happen with Assassin's Creed IV? Some people in other threads have mentioned that the only game that they have had issues with the speed of downloading is AC4, while other games (Far Cry 3, Assassin's Creed 3, Splinter Cell: Blacklist) download fine through Uplay.

If the issue does only appear for Assassin's Creed IV, please let our support team know that in any support ticket you make so they are aware that it is not a general Uplay connection issue and is specific to that game.

Epic_Wolwerine
02-07-2014, 04:25 PM
Is anyone encountering problems using the Killer E2200 network chipset, too?

YES i did, until i deleted it and updated it. then it was fine... for now, if you still have problems after that there should be a thing that has a long name like programstatus: goodnettworkstatus: deactivatedservicestatus: offline. this i have no idea got there
the button to cheack this is the (arrow upwards) to the right bottom. the same line where the nettwork icon is. i do not know if this was good or not, but it fixed my nettwork. like. it was dead, volume, nettwork and so on. probably not because of uplay, but you never know.

Olahorand
02-09-2014, 12:33 PM
Hello Olahorand and smoothcicle,

Did the issues you experienced only happen with Assassin's Creed IV? Some people in other threads have mentioned that the only game that they have had issues with the speed of downloading is AC4, while other games (Far Cry 3, Assassin's Creed 3, Splinter Cell: Blacklist) download fine through Uplay.

If the issue does only appear for Assassin's Creed IV, please let our support team know that in any support ticket you make so they are aware that it is not a general Uplay connection issue and is specific to that game.

The game is Might and Magic X Legacy.
I had to install NetBalancer and reduce the allowed maximum speed for UPLAY.exe to gain control over my Internet connection back.
*Salute*
Olahorand

Ubi-Leorthian
02-11-2014, 05:29 PM
Thanks for clarifying which game you were experiencing the issue with Olahorand. I'm glad you were able to find a solution, even though it required the use of external software to facilitate it. I've passed on the comments that have been made regarding the issues people have been experiencing with their internet becoming very slow while Uplay is downloading games and we will look into ways of addressing the issue for a future update.

tHebUm18
02-13-2014, 09:52 AM
The game is Might and Magic X Legacy.
I had to install NetBalancer and reduce the allowed maximum speed for UPLAY.exe to gain control over my Internet connection back.
*Salute*
Olahorand

Thanks for this tip. None of the proxies would work, but taking away Uplay's ability to upload sure as hell does (seems to stop the download if you set upload to zero, but setting it low seems to work, albeit for slower download speeds than not limiting... I'll gladly have it take 10+ hours instead of 2 in which no one in my house can use the internet). Uplay was trying to upload at 300+ kb/sec until I put the limiter on it; no shock that maxing out upload kills your ability to use the internet at all.

Unbelievable Ubisoft as a company thinks it's even the slightest bit okay to run their software downloads P2P without any option to limit upload speeds so it doesn't kill your use of the internet for the entire download duration (trying to get AC4). I will be uninstalling Uplay as soon as I beat/get bored with AC4. Glad I got it for free or I'd be even more upset with the detestable behavior (or just shoddy programming) by Ubisoft.

wileyz70
02-26-2014, 05:44 AM
<RANT>PC video card comes with a free download; Assassin's Creed 4. Think: eh, why not. Register on GeForce web site, and enter their code from the receipt. Get another code for Ubisoft. Register on Ubisoft's web site with that code. Receive an activation code in email and a notice that you first have to install their UPlay client. Install UPlay and then see a picture of the game next to a link that says Activate Game. Because you got an email with the code to activate the game, you click the link to activate the game and then enter the code. Screen says the key is already in use. Call support. Support says no don't bother to activate it, just click on the picture of the game and start the download. Oh ok. Start the download. The download eats up ALL available bandwidth to the point the wireless seems to be down. The router is dropping packets like a drunken juggler. UPlay says it can't connect to the service but the download is still going. Then after a while it drops to a crawl and stops. Reboot router and start over. Same effect. Go wired. Same effect. Look in the forums and discover this is a known issue with UPlay and people have been complaining about it for three months with no real solution from the devs. Uninstall UPlay. Mutter curses on Assassin's Creed and imprecations on UPlay. Eat ice cream and go to bed.</RANT>

Ubi-Leorthian
02-26-2014, 06:11 PM
The latest update to Uplay has introduced an in-built bandwidth usage limiter, hopefully this will remove the need for additional software like some people in this thread have mentioned using. It is found in the settings menu (the "cog" icon in the top right of the Uplay client) under "Downloads". It is a slider that you can use to set a bandwidth usage limit on Uplay. Please let us know if you continue to encounter download issues.

Cromani
02-27-2014, 06:20 PM
1) Yes, the in-built bandwidth usage limiter solves the issue.

2) But now, there is a new issue. If (and only if) this bandwidth limiter is enabled. UPlay.exe uses 100% of my CPU.

Now I can choose between Scylla (Internet connection blocked) and Charybdis (100% CPU usage). :(

Ubi-Leorthian
02-27-2014, 06:23 PM
Thanks for letting us know what you're experiencing Cromani, I will pass on your report about the new feature.

OutlawNinja
03-02-2014, 04:13 AM
Thanks for letting us know what you're experiencing Cromani, I will pass on your report about the new feature.

Well prior to this update you spoke of I had no real problems with the downloader, yes it is invasive and basically locks your computer up whilst in use.
Can't get any webpages to load, can't use teamspeak etc etc.
Today I purchased the DLC for Black Flag, a file of some 5gb.
I'll get this thing going, do a bit of gardening come back game ready to play, sounds like a plan right? Wrong!
Come in to find it has downloaded a whopping 20mbs before dying and shutting itself down to nothing.

After some 20 or so restarts of Uplay, quick google search led me here.

First I get this message. "There is a problem connecting to Uplay Service. We'll restore the connection as soon as we can".
Then some time later it just stops altogether. So I did a little scientific research, stopwatch in hand off I go.
As per above I went into the Download settings and lowered the slider to 1mb (half of my metered download speed).

First attempt : Message appears after 1:25 mins ... Download stops 3:00 mins
Second attempt : Message appears after 2:33 mins ... Download stops 4:00 mins
Third attempt : Message appears after 1:20 mins ... Download stops 10:25 (by far the best result)

Now some 30-40 restarts of Uplay to get this 5gb DLC downloaded.
You guys really need to give Steam or Origin or Internet Download Manager a call, because your downloader is a joke.
How does a multi million dollar company have such sub standard software.
Steam works seamlessly if you are surfing the net it throttles itself down, same if you jump into game.
Origin yields the best speeds by far but basically takes every bit of your bandwidth ... but you can walk away, leave it going overnight and you know it will do its thing.

Ferderps
03-02-2014, 05:30 AM
Same thing. I was told to open ports and everything by support. Still get maxed out internet + crashes housewide.

crypticdiehard
03-02-2014, 06:05 AM
1) Yes, the in-built bandwidth usage limiter solves the issue.

2) But now, there is a new issue. If (and only if) this bandwidth limiter is enabled. UPlay.exe uses 100% of my CPU.

Now I can choose between Scylla (Internet connection blocked) and Charybdis (100% CPU usage). :(

Sounds like they didn't actually fix the bad programming but rather confined the issue to anouther area. The repeat packets bottlenecked the internet speed hence extremely slow internet speed browsing for people while downloading. From what you've described, they haven't fixed the issue but rather than the internet bottleneck it looks like the cpu is taking the brunt of those repeat packets.

Regardless I am still getting dodgy internet speeds which is bottleknecking my 100mb/sec speed with useless repeat packets. By the time I'm done with downloading 1 assasins creed iv black flag, after a day I will have downloaded 300-400gigabytes of useless crap rather than 23-25gigabytes and hours of 200 retries to restart failed download. :mad:

Anouther similar post but in more detail I have posted over there.... http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/709498-Download-Speeds-Download-Issues?p=9557706&viewfull=1#post9557706

OliverSudden
05-18-2014, 02:04 PM
Well prior to this update you spoke of I had no real problems with the downloader, yes it is invasive and basically locks your computer up whilst in use.
Can't get any webpages to load, can't use teamspeak etc etc.
Today I purchased the DLC for Black Flag, a file of some 5gb.
I'll get this thing going, do a bit of gardening come back game ready to play, sounds like a plan right? Wrong!
Come in to find it has downloaded a whopping 20mbs before dying and shutting itself down to nothing.

After some 20 or so restarts of Uplay, quick google search led me here.

First I get this message. "There is a problem connecting to Uplay Service. We'll restore the connection as soon as we can".
Then some time later it just stops altogether. So I did a little scientific research, stopwatch in hand off I go.
As per above I went into the Download settings and lowered the slider to 1mb (half of my metered download speed).

First attempt : Message appears after 1:25 mins ... Download stops 3:00 mins
Second attempt : Message appears after 2:33 mins ... Download stops 4:00 mins
Third attempt : Message appears after 1:20 mins ... Download stops 10:25 (by far the best result)

Now some 30-40 restarts of Uplay to get this 5gb DLC downloaded.
You guys really need to give Steam or Origin or Internet Download Manager a call, because your downloader is a joke.
How does a multi million dollar company have such sub standard software.
Steam works seamlessly if you are surfing the net it throttles itself down, same if you jump into game.
Origin yields the best speeds by far but basically takes every bit of your bandwidth ... but you can walk away, leave it going overnight and you know it will do its thing.

Yep. Me too, only in my case it's trying to get an eleven gig update for Might & Magic X Legacy and the Uplay downloader is dying after five minutes or so and fifty meg of data downloaded.

Yes, it's part my problem because I live in the Calif high desert and there's no broadband up here (using a satellite link), but at the rate I'm going it's going to be about a month before I can get the game patched and see if the other problems I'm having have been fixed.

In summary ...
Start Uplay, select game and play and begin downloading patch. After a minute or so, the "problem connecting to Uplay service" notice pops up, but download continues.
Patch downloads for about five minutes before speed hits 0kbs, and I have to manually exit the Uplay thing and start it again.

Lather, rinse, repeat (or, goto 10)

Since I can only download from two to seven AM without it costing me money, I'm not at all happy with what's happening. I'd like to enjoy the game (and can and do play offline) and I guess it's wonderful that such a large patch is available, but ... NO ... I'm not at all happy with my first experience with UPlay

I was prepared for it to take two or three days to download the patch overnight, starting up the download in the middle of the night and going back to sleep. That's how I downloaded the game to begin with. What I wasn't expecting (and what's making me so unhappy) was having to babysit the patching process for three or four weeks by having to manually stop and start the patching process.

(So, I guess the good news is the Uplay downloader isn't destroying my Internet connectivity, just my sleep and my life)

Ubi-Leorthian
05-19-2014, 04:22 PM
Hello OliverSudden,

Have you contacted the Ubisoft support team to see if they can offer you any advice on optimising the connection and stopping this issue from occurring? If you have not done so yet, please do, the team can offer much more detailed technical advice on your situation. You can contact them through our ticket system found here: http://support.ubi.com/
Alternatively, if you would like to contact support by phone you can find the contact number for your regional support team here: http://www.ubi.com/US/Support/InternationalSupport.aspx

OliverSudden
05-19-2014, 05:10 PM
Hello OliverSudden,

Have you contacted the Ubisoft support team to see if they can offer you any advice on optimising the connection and stopping this issue from occurring? If you have not done so yet, please do, the team can offer much more detailed technical advice on your situation. You can contact them through our ticket system found here: http://support.ubi.com/
Alternatively, if you would like to contact support by phone you can find the contact number for your regional support team here: http://www.ubi.com/US/Support/InternationalSupport.aspx

Thanks for your response. This morning the connection was much better, but I may contact them later. My guess is it has less to do with my setup than with server load or something on your end because without changing any of my firewall, AV, or other settings as instructed in the other posts I've seen, the connection will be good some times and then become miserable, only to recover later.

I was up all night (!) from 0200-0700 local time and it wasn't until around 0430 (1130 GMT) that I started, again, getting the "problem connecting to Uplay Service" message. I still think it's funny that I get that, but it seems to have little or no effect on the download going on or how long it takes for the download speed to get to zero and stop.

So, I figure it's not my machine but may be with my ISP and congestion problems they're having (and neither you nor I can do anything about that) or something on your end, which I doubt you can admit. I'm hoping one or two more all nighters will get the game patched, but, yeah, it would be easier if I didn't have to manually restart the Uplay launcher twenty-five times.

You done good by responding, so thanks for that!

D_LA_ROC
06-06-2014, 12:23 AM
I have an excellent Internet service with 45mbps and when i use Steam or Orgins, this does not happen. But whenever im downloading a game in Uplay, i can barely even use Google Chrome or any other application on my connection. Even on mobile devices that are on wifi seem to slow down to almost non usable. As soon as i stop the download or it finishes, everything is back to normal. I don't really care, i can go without using something else while downloading. But i feel bad for my roommates who cannot use the internet because i'm installing a game on Uplay., Why does it use up almost 100% bandwidth??

Ubi-Leorthian
06-06-2014, 01:13 PM
Hello D_LA_ROC,

Have you tried using the Bandwidth Usage Limiter in the Uplay client settings? You can set a limit on how much of your bandwidth you use to make sure that regular browsing is unaffected while Uplay downloads your games.

Use the following steps to find the option:

1 - Click on the gear icon in the top right of the client
2 - Click on Settings
3 - Click on Downloads

At the bottom of the menu you will see a slide bar which you can set to a speed you think is fitting for your internet connection. You can try different settings until you find one that works best for you.

Enverex
07-27-2014, 02:27 AM
Hello D_LA_ROC,

Have you tried using the Bandwidth Usage Limiter in the Uplay client settings? You can set a limit on how much of your bandwidth you use to make sure that regular browsing is unaffected while Uplay downloads your games.

Use the following steps to find the option:

1 - Click on the gear icon in the top right of the client
2 - Click on Settings
3 - Click on Downloads

At the bottom of the menu you will see a slide bar which you can set to a speed you think is fitting for your internet connection. You can try different settings until you find one that works best for you.

Does UPlay use Peer2Peer to download content? As soon as UPlay starts "downloading" a game my internet connection becomes unusable. I checked the network usage on this PC and sure enough, my upstream is showing 1.4Mb/s (my connection's upstream is only around 1.5Mb). This would explain why my connection is shot to hell and most ISPs in the UK throttle P2P traffic anyway.

But there's a bigger issue with this, you're not giving people an option to turn off this "feature". The fact that people are distributing your game for you, clearly at personal cost given the amount of complaints in this and other threads.

Enverex
07-27-2014, 02:44 AM
I've found a workaround, at least for now. Shame on you Ubisoft.

To get around this problem, disable uPnP on your router. UPlay won't be able to open the ports it needs and thus won't be able to turn your PC into a torrent seedbox. In turn it'll just download the game normally from the Ubisoft servers.

jimyi1204
07-27-2014, 11:18 AM
:nonchalance: i have a bigger problem. im using the promo code from my GTX graphic card to download Watch Dogs.
GET ERROR IN PROGRESS BEFORE THE DOWNLOAD, the offer is gone i type in the promo code again and it show "invalid code" :mad::mad:

Ubi-Lhainiev
07-28-2014, 02:09 PM
Jimy91204,

Shop Support will be able to help you with this, please create a ticket or give them a quick call.

When submitting your ticket, please include the following:

Subject: Copy and Paste the following text '[Activation] Invalid Code

Question: Enter a description of the problem including when you purchase your GTX graphic card and where
Attach Documents to Question: Include a clear digital image of your key and your proof of purchase clearly showing the purchase date *

* When submitting a picture please ensure that the entire key is visible and not obscured. We also ask that it is a reasonable size, so no need to submit an image that is 1MB+ for example.

Please find the links to Support below.

LauriJ
07-31-2014, 05:20 PM
Well, I guess this is why I want all of my Ubisoft games be downloaded from Steam...

Xoration
09-23-2014, 01:50 PM
I have the same problem. I can't believe this still isn't fixed. I can't download anything from UPlay...... I can either choose to use the internet or I can choose to download something and my whole internet connection dies.

Thanks Ubisoft for that awesome piece of software!
That was definately my last Ubisoft game....

Ubi-Leorthian
09-23-2014, 07:37 PM
Hello Xoration,

Did you try using the "Bandwidth Usage Limit" slider at a few different speeds in order to see if changing the limit improved your situation? I suggest you contact the Ubisoft support team for technical advice on optimising your downloads through Uplay. You can contact them through our ticket system's webform found by clicking on "My questions" on this page: https://support.ubi.com and then clicking "Ask a Question"