PDA

View Full Version : Throwing Knife bug

rachelpang
11-21-2013, 05:38 AM
Hi guys,

I'm having this throwing knife bug, where i'm not able to select my throwing knife anymore after i scroll my mouse wheel to another tool during the game. and from then on, everytime i disarm an agile, i can't use/ select the throwing knife option anymore. The agile just keeps picking up his weapon everytime i disarm this. any fix?

Lokikron
11-21-2013, 07:23 AM
Throwing knives aren't even an option in the 1-9 keybindings, and I really wish it allowed you to rebind tool select and not have it locked on mousewheel, which I find really dumb, it's the ONLY option you can't customize.

I can't even pick up the small knife that drops after killing the enemies, doesn't highlight on the ground at all, and I don't auto equip it after disarming, so I don't know how I'm going to do the challenge of disarm and kill agiles, hell because the ones that I think are agiles look so similar to normal soldiers I'm not even sure if they're agiles or not.

I find it really dumb that there's no weapon wheel when you hit Q as well, it just rotates through the weapons you have, all the other ac games brought up a wheel of some sort for you to select what you wanted, in ac3 that also included all your tools, really odd/strange/poor change to take that away imo.

Condor_Caesar
11-21-2013, 07:47 PM
I have the same glitch, I can't use knife at the moment. pre-tt-y anno-yin-g I'm afraid. may someone come to our aid...

Morankurai
11-21-2013, 08:01 PM
I'm having this glitch too. I tried this out in my new savegame: you have to use the one throwing knive instantly after disarming an agile, before equipping another weapon - otherwise, you'll be stuck with this one but won't be able to reselect it, from the moment you select another secondary weapon with your mouse wheel. If you get rid of it in time, you can continue disarming agiles after that. I'm sure this is a bug, and it will also prevent players from finishing the game 100 % if they have unknowingly selected another weapon. Although it surprises me that the throwing knive isn't appearing anywhere else - neither in the inventory nor is it mentioned in the game manual. They could simply solve this by let us select it via the mouse wheel and eventually introduce another quick select button.

WaveyPhox
11-26-2013, 06:36 PM
If you have a a spare X-Box controller laying around plug it into your pc and select the throwing knife that way. You can then use it and get rid of the bug and everything should be back to normal.

Uranus888
11-26-2013, 08:12 PM
If you have a a spare X-Box controller laying around plug it into your pc and select the throwing knife that way. You can then use it and get rid of the bug and everything should be back to normal.

OMG! This worked perfectly! Thank you so much!

WaveyPhox
11-28-2013, 12:43 AM
No problem.

MnemonicSyntax
11-28-2013, 12:48 AM
It doesn't really solve the true issue though, that being that PC gamers who use a mouse/keyboard cannot use the knife when they get it.

And also, I've discovered if you have a throwing knife before you go on dives, you can use the knife when you come back up on land, like a smuggler's den.

arag25
11-28-2013, 01:15 AM
A user called [LIBER] davidov on Steam has posted the following solution for this problem:

I've had the exact same problem, but below is a fix, just tested it, works great.

Can't pick up knifes / can't keep agile guards disarmed. Or: how to complete the challenge "disarm 3 agile guards and kill them with their own weapons".

THE PROBLEM:
The main problems people have with this are:
1. (considering you didn't have a knife yet) If you disarm and take his knife/dagger, you won't hold the knife like a weapon, you cannot attack your enemy with a knife as you can with a sword. You can only throw the knife immediatly back by pressing F, killing the unarmed guard. This does require the game to auto-select the knife for you, it does so for me when I have smoke-bombs selected....not sure about other weapons.

2. (PC only) If you DON'T throw the knife, it stay's in your inventory. No problem there, just throw it at a guard ASAP. The problem starts when you keep the knife, and you SWITCH inventory (map/darts/pistol/smoke) and *POOF* it's gone... you can no longer select it, yet the game knows you have it, and since you can only carry 1, it's where I and others get stuck.

-----------------------------------------

THE CAUSE? (boring!)
Ubisoft clearly screwed this up when porting the game from consoles to PC. I believe the previous games used to have an "inventory-wheel" which you could scroll through (left-right) as well on consoles as on PC (mousewheel). Black flag however gave the consoles an "inventory-cross", where they can use the D-pad to scroll up-down a list, and left-right a different list. PC does not have a D-pad, and the cross can't be operated by "scrolling a wheel" so Ubisoft had to think of something else for us PC gamers... and that's where it went wrong. What they did was bind every weapon to a key (1-unarmed, 2 hidden blades, 3 swords, etc etc) and we "scroll through a list of selectable key's". This list nothing more then cycling the binds 1 after another. It has no graphical interface which the "inventory-cross" does. And when they binded the key's they simply forgot the throwing knife, which is very rare, cannot be bought nor crafted, can't even be "carried/shown", cannot be picked up... easy to forget. Yet a very annoying bug if you want to get to 100%.

----------------------------------------------------------------

HOWEVER; THE SOLUTION!!!

It seems there are 2 workarounds.... since I don't expect Ubisoft to fix this anytime soon, and I DO want to try to complete it 100% before 2023....here are 2 solutions:

1. Hook up a controller to your PC. I was not able to test this myself, but I'm 99% sure this works. Steam works great with controllers, the game has controller set-up identical to consoles.... and on consoles it works.

2. If you don't have a USB-controller like me.... this definatly works, I just tried it myself and wasn't going to post before I knew for sure. It simply binds some key's of your keyboard, which you aren't using now, to the un-used functions of the D-pad, so in turn even PC gamers can access the "Inventory-cross-for-consoles". The interface is still there, working fine 'n dandy, you only need to attach a key to it so you can control it.

Search the file "Assassin4.ini" (the assassin4.ini file is under "documents" in Assassin IV Black Flag directory, NOT your steam folder which also contains Assassin IV files)

.... Open Assassin4.ini (notepad) and search for:

[KeyboardMouse2 DefaultBindings]

PadUp=-1

PadRight=-1

PadDown=-1

PadLeft=-1 ....

By default the -1 is for disable ... change in:

PadUp=12

PadRight=27

PadDown=26

PadLeft=25

(...)

12 is Keyboard key "?"

27 is keyboard key "+"

26 is keyboard key ""

25 is keyboard key "p"

In game can use the keyboard for emulate the Dpad and select the knife...

*ps. I only actually had to change "P" to get the desired effect, not using the others.
*pps. Only Padleft=25 or in this case "P" enables you to select the knife.

It has worked for me and all kudos goes to him/her.

Lokikron
11-28-2013, 06:33 AM
A user called [LIBER] davidov on Steam has posted the following solution for this problem:

I've had the exact same problem, but below is a fix, just tested it, works great.

Can't pick up knifes / can't keep agile guards disarmed. Or: how to complete the challenge "disarm 3 agile guards and kill them with their own weapons".

THE PROBLEM:
The main problems people have with this are:
1. (considering you didn't have a knife yet) If you disarm and take his knife/dagger, you won't hold the knife like a weapon, you cannot attack your enemy with a knife as you can with a sword. You can only throw the knife immediatly back by pressing F, killing the unarmed guard. This does require the game to auto-select the knife for you, it does so for me when I have smoke-bombs selected....not sure about other weapons.

2. (PC only) If you DON'T throw the knife, it stay's in your inventory. No problem there, just throw it at a guard ASAP. The problem starts when you keep the knife, and you SWITCH inventory (map/darts/pistol/smoke) and *POOF* it's gone... you can no longer select it, yet the game knows you have it, and since you can only carry 1, it's where I and others get stuck.

-----------------------------------------

THE CAUSE? (boring!)
Ubisoft clearly screwed this up when porting the game from consoles to PC. I believe the previous games used to have an "inventory-wheel" which you could scroll through (left-right) as well on consoles as on PC (mousewheel). Black flag however gave the consoles an "inventory-cross", where they can use the D-pad to scroll up-down a list, and left-right a different list. PC does not have a D-pad, and the cross can't be operated by "scrolling a wheel" so Ubisoft had to think of something else for us PC gamers... and that's where it went wrong. What they did was bind every weapon to a key (1-unarmed, 2 hidden blades, 3 swords, etc etc) and we "scroll through a list of selectable key's". This list nothing more then cycling the binds 1 after another. It has no graphical interface which the "inventory-cross" does. And when they binded the key's they simply forgot the throwing knife, which is very rare, cannot be bought nor crafted, can't even be "carried/shown", cannot be picked up... easy to forget. Yet a very annoying bug if you want to get to 100%.

----------------------------------------------------------------

HOWEVER; THE SOLUTION!!!

It seems there are 2 workarounds.... since I don't expect Ubisoft to fix this anytime soon, and I DO want to try to complete it 100% before 2023....here are 2 solutions:

1. Hook up a controller to your PC. I was not able to test this myself, but I'm 99% sure this works. Steam works great with controllers, the game has controller set-up identical to consoles.... and on consoles it works.

2. If you don't have a USB-controller like me.... this definatly works, I just tried it myself and wasn't going to post before I knew for sure. It simply binds some key's of your keyboard, which you aren't using now, to the un-used functions of the D-pad, so in turn even PC gamers can access the "Inventory-cross-for-consoles". The interface is still there, working fine 'n dandy, you only need to attach a key to it so you can control it.

Search the file "Assassin4.ini" (the assassin4.ini file is under "documents" in Assassin IV Black Flag directory, NOT your steam folder which also contains Assassin IV files)

.... Open Assassin4.ini (notepad) and search for:

[KeyboardMouse2 DefaultBindings]

PadUp=-1

PadRight=-1

PadDown=-1

PadLeft=-1 ....

By default the -1 is for disable ... change in:

PadUp=12

PadRight=27

PadDown=26

PadLeft=25

(...)

12 is Keyboard key "?"

27 is keyboard key "+"

26 is keyboard key ""

25 is keyboard key "p"

In game can use the keyboard for emulate the Dpad and select the knife...

*ps. I only actually had to change "P" to get the desired effect, not using the others.
*pps. Only Padleft=25 or in this case "P" enables you to select the knife.

It has worked for me and all kudos goes to him/her.

Can this get stickied?

Neo--666
11-28-2013, 11:57 PM
Option nr 2 works perfect, got the 3 kills in 2 minutes.
Thank you very much ; )

Choister
12-26-2013, 04:13 PM
In the AC4 PC version, you can select the throwing knife if you hold the Q button. The primary weapon icons pops up (showing unarmed, hidden blades and swords). Still holding the Q button, rotate the wheel on the mouse, the secondary weapon icons pops up (showing the rest of Edward's weapons). It will show the throwing knife just above the 'coins' icon. Select it and then you can complete the Abstergo Challenge.

MnemonicSyntax
12-26-2013, 06:29 PM
Right, but look at the date. This is pre-patch that resolved the issue to allow the throwing knife to be selectable, which previous, it wasn't.

And you don't need to hold any button down, it works without holding down Q.