PDA

View Full Version : Am I Evil???

momotree
11-21-2013, 04:59 AM
Is it bad that the most joy I find in this game is the harpooning of whales and sharks?

pirate1802
11-21-2013, 05:07 AM
Yes you are bad and you should feel bad.

HiddenKiller612
11-21-2013, 05:11 AM
Nope, not unless you feel so good about it you're going to go out and do it in real life.

Landruner
11-21-2013, 05:26 AM
Is it bad that the most joy I find in this game is the harpooning of whales and sharks?

Yes, you are terribly bad and even gave your references to Alex Pacheco! LOL,:p
Nope, it is okay for harpooning virtual sharks and whales in a video game, have fun!

ace3001
11-21-2013, 05:40 AM
But you don't feel evil for killing so many people in-game?
This is what I find to be the most disgusting thing about "animal lovers." They're okay with killing virtual humans, but killing virtual animals is somehow bad.
Personally, though, I think killing anything virtual is okay, as long as you don't plan on doing it in real life.

Kagurra
11-21-2013, 05:53 AM
But you don't feel evil for killing so many people in-game?
This is what I find to be the most disgusting thing about "animal lovers." They're okay with killing virtual humans, but killing virtual animals is somehow bad.
Personally, though, I think killing anything virtual is okay, as long as you don't plan on doing it in real life.

First thing I'm doing when I get the game tomorrow night at midnight and get my hidden blades is stab a dog or a cat in the neck just for you.

Also, that's the most fun thing in the game to you OP? I don't care that you like the harpooning, but there are other fantastic things about the game. I guess people will like what they like.

Semi-related, can you even kill civis in this game? I know in AC3 you could only do it by pressing LT to "zoom in" and then you could attack them. Since that's now free-aim, can you not just kill a civilian? I'm going to be real upset if they took that away... it's kind of pathetic. This isn't an E 10+ game.

HiddenKiller612
11-21-2013, 05:58 AM
First thing I'm doing when I get the game tomorrow night at midnight and get my hidden blades is stab a dog or a cat in the neck just for you.

Also, that's the most fun thing in the game to you OP? I don't care that you like the harpooning, but there are other fantastic things about the game. I guess people will like what they like.

Semi-related, can you even kill civis in this game? I know in AC3 you could only do it by pressing LT to "zoom in" and then you could attack them. Since that's now free-aim, can you not just kill a civilian? I'm going to be real upset if they took that away... it's kind of pathetic. This isn't an E 10+ game.
You can shoot civilians...

pirate1802
11-21-2013, 05:58 AM
Sorry to go offtopic but I find the "its okay cuz it is virtual" argument interesting. Does it mean you are okay with anything since its not real? What if there was a game that allowed you to rape women.. would you do it and also might enjoy it since its all virtual?

Kagurra
11-21-2013, 06:00 AM
Sorry to go offtopic but I find the "its okay cuz it is virtual" argument interesting. Does it mean you are okay with anything since its not real? What if there was a game that allowed you to rape women.. would you do it and also might enjoy it since its all virtual?

I'm sure there's many games for that.

And honestly, if it means that person isn't going to go out and rape an actual person instead, it's okay for this instance.

Kagurra
11-21-2013, 06:00 AM
You can shoot civilians...

That's it? Can I stab them...? Sometimes I like to stab them.

HiddenKiller612
11-21-2013, 06:02 AM
That's it? Can I stab them...? Sometimes I like to stab them.
As far as I know... no. No stabbing of civs, but lay lead into them all you like.

Kit572
11-21-2013, 06:03 AM

Thought somebody would suggest this... I agree with this post. Fake or not, I believe that "Raping" someone in a video game is very wrong. Of course, like Kagurra said, as long as said person doesn't go rape an actual person instead, then everything might be OK. But I still believe that Rape is wrong and shouldn't be put as a "gameplay feature" in a video-game.

Kagurra
11-21-2013, 06:05 AM
Thought somebody would suggest this... I agree with this post. Fake or not, I believe that "Raping" someone in a video game is very wrong. Of course, like Kagurra said, as long as said person doesn't go rape an actual person instead, then everything might be OK. But I still believe that Rape is wrong and shouldn't be put as a "gameplay feature" in a video-game.

It shouldn't be put in as a feature. But some "adult" games are made just for that I'm sure. So it really isn't a feature, it's the whole game.

Kagurra
11-21-2013, 06:07 AM
As far as I know... no. No stabbing of civs, but lay lead into them all you like.

Whhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Come on Ubisoft. Why can't I assassinate a civilian like I could in all other games? Sometimes they annoy me and deserve it. Did you take it out because "Edward didn't kill civilians or domestic animals."? Because that's stupid and it's a video game. Or was it because you were too lazy to fix the issue of accidentally assassinating civilians when chasing down a target so you just removed it all together?

HiddenKiller612
11-21-2013, 06:09 AM
Whhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Come on Ubisoft. Why can't I assassinate a civilian like I could in all other games? Sometimes they annoy me and deserve it. Did you take it out because "Edward didn't kill civilians or domestic animals."? Because that's stupid and it's a video game. Or was it because you were too lazy to fix the issue of accidentally assassinating civilians when chasing down a target so you just removed it all together?
Probably because of the free aim system.. Since you can't lock onto civilians you can't stab them.

Kit572
11-21-2013, 06:09 AM
It shouldn't be put in as a feature. But some "adult" games are made just for that I'm sure. So it really isn't a feature, it's the whole game.

Surprised nobody has tried to sue said adult games then. If there really are "adult" games such as what you mentioned, then I'm surprised to not hear of somebody who has been raped petition or sue the companies that make them. Haven't heard of them until now, so they're most likely not well known.

Kagurra
11-21-2013, 06:14 AM
Surprised nobody has tried to sue said adult games then. If there really are "adult" games such as what you mentioned, then I'm surprised to not hear of somebody who has been raped petition or sue the companies that make them. Haven't heard of them until now, so they're most likely not well known.

I don't think they care in Japan... The game I have in mind that I've seen in a "WTH IS THIS GAME" type of video on youtube or something was like a train molestation simulator thingy that was in 3D and stuff.

Kit572
11-21-2013, 06:15 AM
I don't think they care in Japan...

Japan?

Well, that kind of explains everything... (Not meant to sound racist, FYI...)

Kagurra
11-21-2013, 06:18 AM
Japan?

Well, that kind of explains everything... (Not meant to sound racist, FYI...)

Yeah, I get it. They're definitely weird with that stuff. They don't allow things to go uncensored but then they are into all the weird stuff. Maybe it's because of the strict censoring. I've heard that's why all that tentacle stuff exists, to get around the censoring.

And I just realized we are so very off topic.

Kit572
11-21-2013, 06:19 AM
And I just realized we are so very off topic.

Yeah.... We kind of went from harpooning Whales to Japan's pop culture so...

Kagurra
11-21-2013, 06:31 AM
Yeah.... We kind of went from harpooning Whales to Japan's pop culture so...

Back to being evil in AC.

I can't believe I can't melee kill civilians. There's got to be a way. :(

AstusOz
11-21-2013, 06:32 AM
Sorry to tell you this, OP, but you're going to hell. :)

Kit572
11-21-2013, 06:53 AM
Back to being evil in AC.

I can't believe I can't melee kill civilians. There's got to be a way. :(

If Ubisoft get's enough complaints about non-melee killing civilians, I can see them making a patch of some kind.

Sorry to tell you this, OP, but you're going to hell. http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20130918.419/images/smilies/smile.png

I honestly hope that you are being sarcastic in some way, because the last thing I need is more religious people trying to bully me into their religion.

pirate1802
11-21-2013, 06:58 AM

Totally, I can't imagine such a feature ever being in a game but I was just curious. So there indeed are things we wont do even in a fake virtual game. Everything is indeed not okay cuz tis not real. And yes, as Kagurra said, some people might have such tendenies and such games might help them keep it in check although not sure for how long since sooner or later he's gonna want to taste the real thing but anyhow, I was wondering more about us normal people. We don't have tendencies to kill people or whale (hopefully) but we enjoy it anyway in a videogame since nobody is getting hurt. Similarly, we don't have molesting tendencies but can we or should we apply similar logic and enjoy it in a virtual envionent similar to what we do with hunting and killing?

In the end, I think the real reason is not "it is okay cuz its virtual" but "it is okay cuz we're desensitized". We have killed so many people in videogames that killing more people and animals does not bother us in the least. Its everyday stuff. But regarding darker deeds, we are still (and hopefully always will be) raw. So we are not okay with doing those stuff even if its all virtual.

I don't think they care in Japan... The game I have in mind that I've seen in a "WTH IS THIS GAME" type of video on youtube or something was like a train molestation simulator thingy that was in 3D and stuff.

I think that game is called Rapelay or something? Yeah you indeed play as a rapist and your objective is to rape a woman and his daughter in a train. :(

Kit572
11-21-2013, 07:04 AM
I think that game is called Rapelay or something? Yeah you indeed play as a rapist and your objective is to rape a woman and his daughter in a train. :(

Actually... I just remembered that I have heard of this game in an article I read a year back. Don't remember what the article was, but they mentioned "If you fail, the woman takes out a knife and stabs you. And that part is pretty awesome because the rapist dies".

Kagurra
11-21-2013, 07:04 AM

Yeah, that's the one.

AstusOz
11-21-2013, 07:06 AM
I honestly hope that you are being sarcastic in some way, because the last thing I need is more religious people trying to bully me into their religion.
I'm not trying to bully you into joining but unless you stop hunting whales and instead open your heart and mind and accept Zoroastrianism into your life, you're going to hell.

Kit572
11-21-2013, 07:08 AM
I'm not trying to bully you into joining but unless you stop hunting whales and instead open your heart and mind and accept Zoroastrianism into your life, you're going to hell.

Says the person who is on a forum chatting about a game centering around assassinating people and most likely plays the game themselves.... Just saying...

Kagurra
11-21-2013, 07:11 AM
Says the person who is on a forum chatting about a game centering around assassinating people and most likely plays the game themselves.... Just saying...

I think he was being sarcastic... I hope.

Kit572
11-21-2013, 07:15 AM
I think he was being sarcastic... I hope.

That's what I have been hoping for myself...

AstusOz
11-21-2013, 07:18 AM
I've never played an AC game in my life. I spend my time building nice Ahura Mazda loving families in The Sims. I'm just here to spread the good message and help salvage a few souls. :)

Kit572
11-21-2013, 07:20 AM
I've never played an AC game in my life. I spend my time building nice Ahura Mazda loving families in The Sims. I'm just here to spread the good message and help salvage a few souls. :)

haha, okay...

PLEASE BE SARCASTIC.

pirate1802
11-21-2013, 07:26 AM
Sarcasm is so common in the interwebz, yet so hard for some to detect.. :p

Kagurra
11-21-2013, 07:26 AM
haha, okay...

PLEASE BE SARCASTIC.

I think the mistake he's made is that he used AC instead of Assassin's Creed.

Kit572
11-21-2013, 07:35 AM
I think the mistake he's made is that he used AC instead of Assassin's Creed.

Ah...

Well then, my mind is at peace.

Kagurra
11-21-2013, 07:36 AM
Ah...

Well then, my mind is at peace.

Yeah. :B

He's obviously played it and is just trolling.

AstusOz
11-21-2013, 07:43 AM
Trolling? TROLLING!? All because I used an acronym? I've had enough of your disingenuous assertions! Enjoy damnation! DAMNATION!

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhe6xfTZa51qaxxvao1_400.gif

ace3001
11-21-2013, 08:45 AM
I wouldn't enjoy it, but I also wouldn't blame anyone who'd play such a game, since that's all it is, a game. If playing a game of murder doesn't make me a murderer, then playing a game of rape won't make someone else a rapist. You can't just pick and choose which horrible crimes are suitable for games and which are not. That's not upto anyone to decide.

ace3001
11-21-2013, 08:46 AM
Why is that? How is murder any better than rape? They're both horrrendous crimes, but the former gets trivialized in entertainment media all the time, so you somehow think it's okay?

Kit572
11-21-2013, 01:52 PM
Why is that? How is murder any better than rape? They're both horrrendous crimes, but the former gets trivialized in entertainment media all the time, so you somehow think it's okay?

I DON'T think violence is OK in real life. I never even said that violence is better than rape, didn’t I?
I wholeheartedly agree that both murder and rape are horrible crimes in real life, and I would never commit them or want any of my loved ones to go through any of these two.

But in a video-game, I’d rather kill an NPC made up of pixels and audio files. All of us have gotten so used to killing people in games by now, including me. I think of it as: "Battle the bad guys and save the day". You are fighting bad people, and you are trying to save innocents. Raping someone in a video-game? The woman is not the bad guy, you are the bad guy harming the innocent. What would you rather be? Good or Bad?

pirate1802
11-21-2013, 02:10 PM
I wouldn't enjoy it, but I also wouldn't blame anyone who'd play such a game, since that's all it is, a game..

But why won't you enjoy it? because as you said, its a videogame. Nothing actually is happening. No one is actually getting hurt, we aren't becoming rapists as well. So why not enjoy it as well, like we already enjoy normal deaths? I'm sorry if it seems like I'm getting personal, I'm assuredly not. I'm just trying to understand how people draw the line between what is and isn't okay for them in virtual environment.

Lol and frankly, if I saw a friend who was sitting besides me and salivating on a brutal (but virtual!) rape scene I'd, even if for just a moment, think if everything is alright with him.

One can say that murder is better than rape in that, you simply die, you don't have to live out your with the memory that humiliation, that someone stamped his foot on your face and forced himself into you. And in some societies you'd pretty much be made an untouchable if you are raped. So I think rape is indeed much worse than murder. Killing a person vs destroying his very existence piece by piece and leaving them alive to live through it.

Your second point is exactly true and that is one reason why I'm not comfortable with these darker atrocities being depicted like child's play. You get used to killing because its everyday business in videogames. Say videogames gave you an option to rape female enemies after you incapacitated them (horrible I know, but just for the sake of argument), we would get used to rape as well. We would get desensitized towards it. What next? Where does the buck stop?

I think while in videogame circles, its a popular concept that everything is okay since its a videogame, we should sometimes stop and think about it, whether everything is indeed okay or do we have a hidden line somewhere.

Hostage_Panzer
11-21-2013, 03:34 PM
Let's stop discussing rape morality and get back to killing citizens. I will certainly misss this feature - after finishing the game I often started killing the citizens with annoying audio or ugly models, just to see the stealth animation and have fun. I really miss this feature, before the release I even hoped they'd make some cheat to remove the limit of three citizen kills per two minutes.

silvermercy
11-21-2013, 03:39 PM
I think there is a difference, "murder" in games and rape is not the same. That's because usually in games you kill the "baddies" . But with rape you're not exactly killing baddies. You're just punishing innocents for no reason. A similar example would be for white people to kill, say, innocent Jewish or black people for no reason. Not acceptable. There would have to be a logical plot device to justify the above happening... and still...
Back to the whales, it is not done for sport but for buying food and surviving in general. If it was just for sport (again for no logical reason) you wouldn't have just PETA but all the animal lovers and charities after you.

Landruner
11-21-2013, 03:53 PM
I'm sure there's many games for that.

And honestly, if it means that person isn't going to go out and rape an actual person instead, it's okay for this instance.

I see your point, but If a game was allowing you to rape a woman, first of: it will be rated a big fat A rating for Adult content or sort of, and no video game's companies will technically take the risk of doing that since the game will be panned before release, and an A rating for a game in a pain for the rate of the sale.

Personally I won't play a game like that since you must be severely pervert for enjoying it even if it is virtual.

BTW, remember the marketing campaign that brought a polemic on Tomb Raider because one of that executive who told the press something like "Lara had been violated for the first time...", and the press understood she got raped? It almost screwed the release of the game.

Even evoking sexual intercourse in a game bring controversies - I know you can kill virtual people and a lot them, but you don't touch at the forbidden fruit since you get all the parental, political or religious associations after you.

Killing people in game, well it is a game, and the game gives me opportunity the kill virtual NPCs, I gladly do it - Does it make me a dangerous person yes, in the ladder boards or the in game achievements certainly, outside the game, I do not think so. However; if killing NPCs implicates twisted sadistic ways, well I may have some reserves of killing...(?)

BTW, GTA5 had some controversies about his violence...torture(s) and (blablabla)...and the worse of all for them, you see the balls of one of the three protagonists (OMG!!!!) - Anyway anything they do Rockstar is always their favorite target.

For the whales from the OP:

PETA came after Ubisoft when they learned that it will be Whales Killings in AC4, but they did not come before for AC3 while you could hunt plenty of wild animals - Bottom line, PETA is just a brunch of hypocrites that just wanted to use the hype for AC4 in order to make their cause appears in the news. Anyway you can kill wolves and bears in AC3, kill sharks and tigers in Far Cry 3, but Ubisoft do not touch the whales for AC4...(?)

In short: I don't want to kill a whale in real life and I am against their hunting, I am okay doing it in a game and I don't care of doing it as long as the game does not force me to rape them,:p

Landruner
11-21-2013, 04:50 PM
I think there is a difference, "murder" in games and rape is not the same. That's because usually in games you kill the "baddies" . But with rape you're not exactly killing baddies. You're just punishing innocents for no reason. A similar example would be for white people to kill, say, innocent Jewish or black people for no reason. Not acceptable. There would have to be a logical plot device to justify the above happening... and still...
Back to the whales, it is not done for sport but for buying food and surviving in general. If it was just for sport (again for no logical reason) you wouldn't have just PETA but all the animal lovers and charities after you.

I see what you mean and you are right, It is like killing kids or babies in a game, I mean I believe that is ridicule - However; take Skyrim, one of first mode to be released, "Killable children" and it was easy to do so, because Bethesda left the script and the voice - clips of the dying children in the PC version (Yep you could kill the kids in Skyrim , they just Toggled off that in the script before the official pressing of the game in order to prevent the controversy)
For the black or Jewish people you mention above it is not morally and politically correct to do that, however; if other circumstances and if the things were morally and politically opposite to ways they are now, I am convinced that sadly no video game company will have any problem to releasing a game with some content like this, as soon as it bring sale and money.
I know it is twisted what I wrote, but money wins and always rules, whatever immorality or disregard to the humanity it may implicates.