PDA

View Full Version : Save game

Darkseed9
11-20-2013, 06:17 PM
So 14 hours of play and my power cuts out for 30 seconds and suddenly the game no longer reads my gamesaves.

I had hoped this had been fixed from the last game appears not.

I suppose I have myself to blame for not making backups, I really dislike autosave.

Unfortunately this game like most has terrible intro mechanics to restrict play so I have no real wish to do them again nor do I now have the time.

Well I am done ranting anyone know if its possible to repair saves?

Gi1t
11-20-2013, 06:34 PM
So 14 hours of play and my power cuts out for 30 seconds and suddenly the game no longer reads my gamesaves.

I had hoped this had been fixed from the last game appears not.

I suppose I have myself to blame for not making backups, I really dislike autosave.

Unfortunately this game like most has terrible intro mechanics to restrict play so I have no real wish to do them again nor do I now have the time.

Well I am done ranting anyone know if its possible to repair saves?

This raises a question I've been thinking about for a long time now. What's the deal with autosave only games/games with only one save file. I get that the point of autosaving is to account for unexpected power outages and for just forgetting to save, but plenty of games have BOTH autosave files and manual save files. What is the benefit of NOT having the ability to save in multiple slots?

The last two new games I've bought, I've never finished because they stupidly changed their save systems from manual saving with multiple saves to a one-file-only system. Bioshock Infinite could only save on its own and so when it stopped doing that, I could no longer play the game and had to return it. Darksiders 2 at least had a save button, but it also autosaved over your game every minute or so and guess what? Eventually, it froze during one those saves and the file no longer reads. DS2 is a good game and I haven't sold it, but I haven't felt like playing it all over again yet either. -__- The first game, however, worked fine, and if they hadn't changed that save system, losing one file would never have been an issue for me because I make backup saves.

As far as I can tell, limiting the game to this one file save system only opens the way for stuff like this to happen and offers no benefit in return. So why the hell do so many games keep doing it? There must be SOMETHING useful about it right? -__-

Darkseed9
11-20-2013, 07:33 PM
It does stop me from having another gig of gamesaves on top of the 20 I already have but thats a personal choice.

It makes even less sense with in earlier AC games as you had to replay the game to do Desmond missions while you could replay ancestor missions fairly easily.

I have very rarely had my power go out or a game crash and had an autosave be useful, this might be because years of gaming taught me to save often so I usually only lose about 30 min to 2 hours of play bad but could be say restart the game hmm.

The only reason I have ever seen for 1 save or forced autosaves was to prevent players from save s******* to an earlier save if they didn't like the consequences of their choices further on down the line, an idea I disagree with since people should always be able to play single player games the way they want to.

Gi1t
11-20-2013, 08:10 PM
It does stop me from having another gig of gamesaves on top of the 20 I already have but thats a personal choice.

It makes even less sense with in earlier AC games as you had to replay the game to do Desmond missions while you could replay ancestor missions fairly easily.

I have very rarely had my power go out or a game crash and had an autosave be useful, this might be because years of gaming taught me to save often so I usually only lose about 30 min to 2 hours of play bad but could be say restart the game hmm.

The only reason I have ever seen for 1 save or forced autosaves was to prevent players from save s******* to an earlier save if they didn't like the consequences of their choices further on down the line, an idea I disagree with since people should always be able to play single player games the way they want to.

Yeah, the only thing that came to mind was something like Animal Crossing, where it's supposed to be like life and you can't just undo mistakes, but of course they couldn't stop people pressing the reset button, hence the invention of the mighty Resetti. XD (A mole that pops up and yells at you for a while any time you start your game after resetting instead of saving.) But most of these games don't involve long term choices, thus making the forced autosave serve no such purpose.

STDlyMcStudpants
11-21-2013, 06:09 PM
I wouldn't mind if games took the skyrim route and autosaved to 5-10 different slots as your progress for things like this.
Luckily for me this only happened once (But where - is the unlucky part)
HEAVY RAIN SPOILER
At the end after you save shaun (or dont save shaun- really up to how you play) Any way. I saved shaun (This is literally END OF GAME) the last scene as well as every scene is interactive. Im carrying him out of the abandoned building doors - the game is saving about to give me my trophy for beating the game and POW! power goes out...I was SO mad! Luckily Heavy Rain is one of those games that can be different everytime so i didnt mind having to start from scratch...but man is it heartbreaking for a corruption to happen right before credits roll.

STDlyMcStudpants
11-21-2013, 06:12 PM
PS NO it is not possible to repair saves.
It is however possible to find a save online with about the area you left off.
You would have to get a save resigner so trophies or achievements will still pop for you (If you dont care about these things then you dont have to)
BUT keep in mind this is an open world game and this save will more than likely have an entirely different character set up than you do/more or less money.