PDA

View Full Version : Will livestreaming from next-gen consoles to Twitch affect performance?

Kagurra
11-18-2013, 12:46 AM
Not a big expert when it comes to these things, but I know recording on PC with like fraps and stuff affects the framerate a lot in some circumstances, but considering this is just livestreaming, will it do the same? I was watching some PS4 AC4 gameplay streamed on twitch via the PS4, and when it was over it doesn't actually archive the stream like it does on PC, meaning it isn't recording. Does this mean there won't be any performance hits for the streamer?

I plan on streaming the game for a friend while talking to him on Skype (also via Xbox one) so we can kind of play together, as if he were in the room, since he won't be getting next-gen for a little while and is waiting for AC4 on next-gen.

As for my internet, I have 10 up, 31 down.

Sturnz0r
11-18-2013, 01:49 AM
I have played AC's while talking to friends on Party Chat... it could be cool with X1 Pinging the screens, and actually seeing their gameplay;

I'm sure you can adjust outgoing resolution or quality on the twitch app,
but yea; uploading and downloading will take a toll, but i'd think the speed of the Internet would show before the new console

Kagurra
11-18-2013, 01:56 AM
I have played AC's while talking to friends on Party Chat... it could be cool with X1 Pinging the screens, and actually seeing their gameplay;

I'm sure you can adjust outgoing resolution or quality on the twitch app,
but yea; uploading and downloading will take a toll, but i'd think the speed of the Internet would show before the new console

Well considering it's a single player game and the twitch app isn't actually recording the gameplay, it's just uploading it constantly with my internet, I don't see a reason why it would affect performance, even though I expect it to because that's just how that stuff works out it seems.

If anybody has had experience streaming from the PS4 or streaming in general I've love to know how it went.

Also, semi-related, if I have my mic plugged in (with an adapter since I have a headset) and am talking on the Skype app, will the stream pick up my voice even if I don't want it to, or is there a setting to only record video and audio from the game and not me?

xx-pyro
11-18-2013, 02:57 AM
Streaming generally hits your FPS on the PC, I'm not entirely sure on how the PS4 does it but I'd expect some sort of loss in FPS for you. Whether or not that loss is noticeable I couldn't tell you, since I highly doubt AC4 comes anywhere near stressing the PS4 in terms of resources.

Kagurra
11-18-2013, 02:59 AM
Streaming generally hits your FPS on the PC, I'm not entirely sure on how the PS4 does it but I'd expect some sort of loss in FPS for you. Whether or not that loss is noticeable I couldn't tell you, since I highly doubt AC4 comes anywhere near stressing the PS4 in terms of resources.

PS4 was just an example of what I'd seen because it's been released already, so people have the chance to get the hands on that feature. I'm an xbox person, but I get what you're saying. I guess I'll just test it out in 5 days.

xx-pyro
11-18-2013, 03:03 AM
PS4 was just an example of what I'd seen because it's been released already, so people have the chance to get the hands on that feature. I'm an xbox person, but I get what you're saying. I guess I'll just test it out in 5 days.

Guess you'll have to wait and see, does the XB1 even have the capability to stream directly?

Kagurra
11-18-2013, 03:06 AM
Guess you'll have to wait and see, does the XB1 even have the capability to stream directly?

Works exactly the same as it does on PS4. It's probably actually a bit easier since you can access the twitch app in game and what not.

Kagurra
11-18-2013, 03:41 AM
Just an update, I got confirmed from xcal, the person who I watched stream AC4 the other night, and he said there was no strain whatsoever on the system. It was PS4, but I assume it's generally the same as far as this goes, and I definitely respect his opinion since gaming, mostly PC stuff is his job.

Mods can close this whenever if they want, or leave it open for the other dudes, I dunno. Thanks for the posts guys.