PDA

View Full Version : An Interesting Piece of Information On the Real Anne Bonny (SPOILERS)

Perk89
11-17-2013, 05:44 PM
So I completed the game last night and began digging up some information on the real life characters as I typically do after AC games now that the risk of spoilers is gone. While searching I came across this on Wiki, though this is unrelated to what I eventually want to mention in this thread:

On Jack Rackham, Bonny, and Read being captured:

he pirates immediately set sail, trying to flee, but most of the crew retreated into the cabins. The William made it only a few yards before the Tyger caught up with her and continued the boarding. Mary Read, Anne Bonny and another pirate remained on deck and attempted to fight off the attackers, but eventually surrendered.

Just thought that interesting, as the unknown pirate is mentioned by Bonny as the father of Read's child. Nothing really to this, just thought it an interesting piece of real life history that ties in strongly with AC lore. That kind of thing always gives me the nerdbumps. Makes sense too, since Bonny had a relationship with Rackham, it isn't totally unreasonable to assume the pirate possibly liked Read if he knew her true gender, since he was the only one man enough to stand there and fight. But that's just speculation on my end.

During their brief cruise in late 1720, they took several prisoners and forced them into useful service. Read fell in love with one such victim who was surprised to learn that she was a woman and eventually returned the affection. When one of the pirates challenged her lover to a duel, Read contrived a secret duel to occur a couple hours earlier. She killed the pirate before he could bring any harm to her lover, whom she called "husband" as they made vows to each other in absence of a minister.

In another piece of interesting real life history, it was found that Bonny was beginning to develop feelings for Read until Read was forced to reveal her true gender to her because of it.

Anyways, if nothing else, this thread can be a thread where people post interesting real life finds they've dug up that tie to AC4, and I put this here because I wanted to share a relatively small piece of info that I think could, or should, be relevant.

Anne Bonny didn't die until 1782. (and shares a birthday with yours truly, a Charleston native I am, who had anotherdescent into a tizzy of nerdbumps when we went to my hometown, albeit only for a breif time)

Anyways, I found this information significant because it means Anne lived long enough to meet both of Edward's two AC3 Kenway descendants (Connor killed Haytham in 1781 I believe) She lived out the rest of her days after her piracy career in North America.

So I'm simply asking my fellow AC fans who enjoy the plot aspect of AC above all else- Is not having Bonny have some brief rendezvous with either Kenway in AC3 a missed opportunity (as Ubi has done numerous times unfortunately) Is it possible we see here again if the Kenway saga is indeed a subtrilogy like some suspect? Is there a possible DLC brewing that could take advantage of this interesting plot opportunity? (unlikely, I feel)

Overall, Bonny, like our other quartermaster, was a massively underdeveloped character who the series treated like a major player. Unlike Addy, however, there's no guarantee we'll see her again, even with such an interesting plot opportunity to exploit with her living farely close to the two junior Kenway's during their struggle (she was quite the witness to some major history in her lifetime, I'm sure she loved watching the British sail back home at the close of the American Revolution after becoming strong antagnoists to them during her piracy days)

That's really all I wanted to share. Just some interesting AC info I wanted to pass along that may or may not stir up discussion. I'd love to see her make a connection to Connor's life somehow before she passes. I feel Connor learning about Edward and his life (more than just the Haytham journal entries about him) would be an interesting bit of encouragement for him as well. Or something. It'd be interesting to see what he thought about his grandfather's journey.

Again, if you've found any interesting "real-life" AC tidbits, please, do share them here. I promise you'll send me into a nerdfit. That kind of thing always trips me out and I'd love to see them.

RoBg03
11-17-2013, 06:05 PM
I knew pretty much all the historical characters stories before i played the game, which kinda ruined the read/bonny story line a bit, but the historical aspect is why i love these games. from what i knew however, anne bonny pretty much disappeared into history, with no one knowing exactly what happened to her. from what i know, most historians think her father likely bought her freedom, as he was a rich plantation owner, and she ended up marrying an wealthy englishman. i believe that is all speculation however,as records from the time aren't all that reliable.

Perk89
11-17-2013, 06:25 PM
I read as well that she fell of the face off the earth. Articles I looked at said either what you said-that her father brought her freedom-or that she was executed. Since the British were sticklers for making sure their executions were well documented at the time-and that no such record exists-it seems likely that the former is the case-that her father bought her freedom, she went to the colonies, and according to a few sources I've found (including Wiki granted, but among others) died in SC in 1782.

Perk89
11-17-2013, 06:30 PM
On everybody's favorite traitorous Templar chum, Ben Hornigold, per wiki.

Captain Benjamin Hornigold (died 1719) was an 18th-century English (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England) pirate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirate). His career lasted from 1715 to 1718, after which he turned into a pirate hunter and pursued his former allies on behalf of the Governor of the Bahamas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahamas) He was killed when his ship was wrecked on a reef during the 1719 hurricane season..

Hornigold is recorded as having attacked a sloop off the coast of Honduras, but as one of the passengers of the captured vessel recounted, they did us no further injury than the taking most of our hats from us, having got drunk the night before, as they told us, and toss'd theirs overboard