PDA

View Full Version : Why are the Bosses so hard? A Theory

BrianCorvello
11-17-2013, 12:12 PM
A lot of people are complaining about how hard the Boss Monsters are, due to a special skill they are granted simply by being a boss.

This skill makes them basically immune to anything that doesn't directly damage them; status conditions don't work, you can't Provoke them, can't knock them backwards with Gust of Wind, nothing like that.

Why are they like this? I have a theory, due to the second patch.

See, if you accept the Lost Lambs quest, you have two options when you confront Luke:

1. Fight Him: If you choose this option and go in there looking for a fight, you'll get one. Not only does he have that annoying defense that all the Bosses have listed above, he has the Vindictive skill that makes him a terror, able to kill most characters in one attack. Fact is, he's TOUGH.

2. Let him go: Choose this option and you avoid the fight entirely, it seems. He just steps aside. (And you still get credit for completing part of the quest.) Sounds easy...

A little too easy if you ask me. It's tempting to take option 2 and avoid a fight you might not be able to win, or at very least only win after expending so many of your resources, and if the other two guys you have to find to complete this quest are the same, well... I think taking the easy way out might not be a good idea.

Of course, seeing as this is an optional quest, I truly doubt there will be any negative consequences later on for showing a lack of mercy. However, I would not be surprised that if you take option 2 and let him live, he'll show up later in the game (as a sort of Bonus Boss), and you'll have a fight on your hands then that would be even harder. And if the same goes for the other two guys...

THAT is why I think the Bosses are so hard. They WANT these guys to be hard, then give you option that lets you avoid three Boss Fights by taking the Lost Lambs quest . It's likely a temptation that could well lead to fighting something even worse later.

Of course... There could be a flip side, and if you DO have to fight something worse later, but still prevail, there could be some great reward...

evpkol
11-17-2013, 12:20 PM
Fact is, he's TOUGH.

Upgrading from pokemon this must be another league for you, man )
That sounded really terrifying )
p.s.: dared to make a run on warrior, or still choosing "the easy way out"?

BrianCorvello
11-17-2013, 12:30 PM
Evpkol, I've given up trying to reason with you or make sense of any of your gibberish, so I'm ignoring you from now on.

And for anyone who actually thinks the man above me has a point, it would probably be easier to list the number of times a situation in Pokémon isn't a "But Thou Must" situation. The franchise has the most linear games in the business.

And NO, I am in NO way comparing that franchise to this one. The two are as different as night and day.

Wyrmblood
11-17-2013, 12:44 PM
Fought luke on warrior difficulty and managed to beat him after he first killed two of my people (Mage and ranger) he hits like a truck but I enjoyed the fight. Bosses should never be a walk over in any respect, they are the boss after all. But I do not agree that they should be immune to everything, at least give them one weakness whether that is posion, fire, or even something simple like increased damage taken from mace attacks.

Would be nice to be able to taunt some bosses as well not all the boss but some as I have a small fear that being able to taunt bosses would make them too easy. Maybe give them a 50% chance to be tauntable that way they would not be tauntable all of the time only half of the time?
I'm currently enjoying the boss fight it really feels like your fighting for your life especially on warrior level.
I do like the mechanic of letting him go, hopefully that would have more consequences for your team later on as you sussgested.

I'm looking for some truley epic boss moments at higher levels, maybe even something like a ranged boss battle only where you have to keep moving to stay one step ahead of them whilst attacking from range since they will destroy your team if they get within melee range?

Now if they only made the spider queen twice the size of the other spiders I would be a happy bunny.

BrianCorvello
11-17-2013, 12:53 PM
Hey, hey, I agree with everything you say, Wyrm. Luke has the subtlety of a runaway train and he's just as dangerous. Still, I also took option 1 and I was able to beat him. (I figured I could use the gold, and like I said, I was VERY suspicious, because option 2 seemed simply too easy.)

Wyrmblood
11-17-2013, 12:57 PM
Aye no chance of letting him go for me, especially if I am going to missing out on some nice loot drops. But then that in itself may have other consequences in itself, what if the devs are deviuos enough to give you better loot drops if you do face him again later in the game :eek: It's good to have choices, hopefully they will add more moral choices for your team.