PDA

View Full Version : Set Rotation concern

ProzacLoki
11-13-2013, 06:22 AM
I just started playing this a week ago. After i read about the set rotation i got a little concerned before i spend money on this. I have a couple questions.
What happens with our old cards?
Will we have to buy all new starter decks again?
Do we lose everything we have?
Will our old stuff still be good?

Psychobabble.au
11-13-2013, 07:29 AM
There is no set rotation, unless i'm out of the loop.

CrypticApathy
11-13-2013, 06:23 PM
so base set 1 is going to stay even when base set 2 rolls out early next year?

Athildur7
11-13-2013, 08:31 PM
I don't see why it wouldn't.

S9TF1
11-13-2013, 08:57 PM
Yes, and for two reasons. First of all, most of the basic set cards are always userful to have around. Each new player is granted one deck full of them at the start, for playing without them would be next to impossible, let alone orchestrating complex strategies.

Also, don't forget that, unlike Magic or the likes, each faction is severely limited in the number of creatures it can use. And among all the spells we currently have, the number of available cards entirely depends on the chosen hero.

CrypticApathy
11-13-2013, 08:57 PM
Because most card games as soon as a new block comes out it voids the previous one.

Baduruu
11-13-2013, 10:06 PM
set rotation couldnt happen like it does in MTG for one simple reason, for sets like VR and FW where an ENTIRE new faction was added these could NEVER rotate out because the pool for that faction would just get diminished too much. if they did rotate other sets besides the base set the newer expansions would be similiar in that once VR goes out the next new expansion replacing it would be primarily sactuary, and afte the initial launch of a new faction i dont want a new set based around an already release faction.

michallato
11-13-2013, 10:46 PM
Like SpaceElephant said

Regarding the "Base Set" , a base set is generally a core game set composed of cards from all factions. In DoC, the Base set 1 was released at the start of the game. Base set 2 will be the second generation of DoC cards, with cards from the previous expansions, and it will be some kind of a second meta-game. It will increase the rarity of older cards, and we'll be able to do, for example, a Base set 2 tournament, etc.

Baduruu
11-13-2013, 11:03 PM
Like SpaceElephant said

Regarding the "Base Set" , a base set is generally a core game set composed of cards from all factions. In DoC, the Base set 1 was released at the start of the game. Base set 2 will be the second generation of DoC cards, with cards from the previous expansions, and it will be some kind of a second meta-game. It will increase the rarity of older cards, and we'll be able to do, for example, a Base set 2 tournament, etc.

what this tells me is tghe base set 2 will be comrpised of CORE cards for each faction and the second set will include what ubi considers core cards for sanctuary and academy now. so the base set can give good cards for newer players of all factions since right now base set only limits you to all factions except sanctuary and academy

Sqrawn
11-18-2013, 08:33 PM
Card games tend to have rotating formats when the game has grown substantially.

Like, a ton of sets.

I don't think it would be good for this game to have that without an eternal format to boot. We should always be able to play with decks we have invested time/money into.

razcrux
11-27-2013, 02:25 AM
If the current cards become obsolete there would need to be a power-forge put into the game where you get wildcards for your burns at VERY high return value, IF the card is no longer usable.

So if I a card is rated as a 8 WC cost card, I don't mind returning it for 8 WCs if I can't use it anymore. But if I just have to dump it for gold that would totally suck and I would just quit forever.

sir_z
12-03-2013, 10:57 PM
Let's keep in mind that everything here is pure speculation as there has never been a base set rotation before.

If your concern is a "what if" then I think you're perfectly justified in holding onto your money until you find out.