PDA

View Full Version : Padlock Suggestion

rick_475
02-16-2004, 10:34 AM
Why not make the green triangle disappear after a few seconds. All we want to do is to "lock" the eyes of the pilot on the target. For realism purposes, once the lock is done, make that triangle disappear after 2-3 seconds.

rick_475
02-16-2004, 10:34 AM
Why not make the green triangle disappear after a few seconds. All we want to do is to "lock" the eyes of the pilot on the target. For realism purposes, once the lock is done, make that triangle disappear after 2-3 seconds.

Cold_Gambler
02-16-2004, 02:30 PM
Great idea!
Bumparooooooo! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Mr_Tintin
02-17-2004, 03:32 AM
I saw the same thing in a padlock feature of an old flight sim I used to use years ago. Can't recall the name of it, I think it was either 1942 Pacific Air War Gold or Flying Corps. Worked well to simulate head turning to follow the target and seemed fairly realistic without it being artifically highlighted.

watteville
02-17-2004, 06:47 AM
Padlock in IL-2 has to be redesigned.

We really need a new in cockpit padlock that simply turns the head of the pilot towards its closest target; (simply puts it dead screen center) without brakets or triangle, press it once more and it goes to the next target and so on. It should be a fast head turn pan and mimic the movements of a real head. one could also incorporate a way to get the target out of canopy bars as if the pilot was moving it's head for a better view.

VW-IceFire
02-17-2004, 07:14 AM
I was on a server the other day where the green triangle wasn't even showing....but it was good enough to see which target was locked and follow it without it actually being highlighted by a big green triangle.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/temp_sig1.jpg
The New IL2 Database is Coming Soon!

TX-Chukar
02-17-2004, 08:06 PM
I always thought that it would be nice if you could preset the padlock points where the marker is to be visible. Let's say that between 1 and 4 km out you could set it to see a triangle marking your target but inside of 1k have it disappear. For me once the plane is big enough to recognize I don't need or want the marker around the plane anymore.

Currently when the icons are off you still get a very week padlock triangle when close, which insn't bad. On the other hand at a distance you can get a lock without being able to see the target - can't even tell what direction the locked target is moving.

Someone on another post stated that he saw another sim were the crossbars were translucent, allowing you to keep track of your target behind the bars, helping simulate a little head movement. That, would be nice too.

http://www.txsquadron.com/photo/TX-Chukar/cukrlogo7.jpg

http://www.txsquadron.com

jeanba2
02-18-2004, 01:25 AM
Bob's or Mig Alley's Padlocks are much better, especially the following fonctionnalities :
Ability to padlock toward the subject of a radio message : ex : if you hear "ennemy at 12 O'Clock' => you can padlock toward the spotted ennemies in this direction. It should be good also to be able to padlock toward the plane which transmitted the message.
Also : ability to padlock toward the next waypoint : usefull and very logical for landing.

AnalFissure
02-18-2004, 03:44 AM
I think it needs to be revamped.

The way the padlock follows targets at times is slow, unrealistic, and disorienting. Often, when you or your target maneuvers a certain way, the view will totally break and then reaqquire at a snail's pace, and with highly unnatural head movements.

mr_Decent
02-18-2004, 07:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AnalFissure:
I think it needs to be revamped.

The way the padlock follows targets at times is slow, unrealistic, and disorienting. Often, when you or your target maneuvers a certain way, the view will totally break and then reaqquire at a snail's pace, and with highly unnatural head movements.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, this happens when your opponent is above/behind you if you roll or he moves "as if you would have rolled" (hard to explain)...

Anyway, original post: VERY GOOD IDEA!