PDA

View Full Version : Such a lack of Climax ... (spoilers)

killzab
11-09-2013, 09:42 PM
The game really lacks a good climax, like all the previous AC's.

The ending is too simple, and the last sequence uneventful. No big revelation or big fight agains a nemesis or whatnot.

Roberts should've DEFINITELY been the last target. He makes a good nemesis for Edward I think.

I don't know, the last bit in the observatory was ...weird. Torres is just standing there, stuck like a fool on his platform, waiting for Edward to stab him. Nothing major happens. And the plot thread with the missing blood vials is unresolved... it felt lacking.

Assassin_M
11-09-2013, 09:53 PM
I felt like the game had a different approach to Climaxes. Climaxes are usually looked at as this epic fight or huge Revelation or conclusive resolution. From what I watched and played, AC IV seemed to have more than one Climax imo. each arc had its own Climax. I divided it like this. the Templar Arc, the Height of Nassau arc, The fall arc, the search arc and finally the Assassin arc.

Each arc had a mini-conflict. The Templar arc had Edward's meddling with the Templars, then the climax is his first imprisonment. the game calms down a bit again, the enters the height of Nassau arc, when the Pirates finally establish their republic and remove British rule with the Climax being the Retirement of Blackbeard. then the fall of Nassau arc is when everything goes to crap in Nassau. Benjamin Hornigold becomes a pirate hunter and Nassau is blockaded. the Climax is Blackbeard's death and so on like that

I think the final climax is not a big boss fight or anything grand. Just Edward's final progression as a protagonist and his ascension into the Assassin Order. I thought that was the climax imo. I did not feel like they NEED to tie every knot.

MIA SILENT
11-09-2013, 10:26 PM
I kinda felt that they were trying to convey the beginning of something. Like, previous AC's were building up to Juno being released, and now the next chapter begins, sort of thing. I'm still cautious though. The present day plot always seems to suffer.

GreatBeyonder
11-11-2013, 08:31 AM
The best climax remains the crazy Jedi mind duel against Al Mualim. That's real showmanship. Rodrigo put up a good challenge up until he decided to box Ezio, and Cesare's end at least had a dramatic flair if no real challenge, since Robert de Sable did the battlefield assassination better in my opinion, and was MUCH more difficult to take down.

I definitely have to say it keeps going downhill in terms of pinache and gameplay challenge, though El Tiburon was a pleasant challenge.

I'm not counting King Washington, who while a genuinely fun baddie and a cool throwback to Al Mualim, was still optional DLC and not even entirely canon to boot.

DinoSteve1
11-11-2013, 11:01 AM
I really enjoyed Edwards Epilogue I found it bitter sweet.

It was cool to see him thinking of all the friends he lost and getting to know his daughter and that song sung by Bonnie give me chills.

I think its my favourite Epilogue to an Assassin's Creed game yet.

Rithrius
11-11-2013, 11:09 AM
John should've lived through the ending of the game. I would've liked him to become a long-lasting character in what may be the next trilogy of AC games.

LoyalACFan
11-11-2013, 11:11 AM
I loved the finale, personally. The blood vials thing was kind of odd, I admit, but the assassinations themselves felt right to me. Torres was old as hell by that point, and he was never exactly a badass to begin with, so I thought it was fine that he died without putting up a fight. I actually liked El Tiburon's death quite a bit; even though he went out without saying a word, Edward's dialogue showed how far he'd come from the arrogant little bastard who gloated over Julien du Casse's body.

As for the actual ending, with Jenny arriving and stuff... I loved it too. A weird but somehow perfect combination of joyful and bittersweet, with a foreshadowing of Edward's death but at the same time confirming that he found true happiness before he died, unlike any of his pirate brethren.

LoyalACFan
11-11-2013, 11:13 AM
John should've lived through the ending of the game. I would've liked him to become a long-lasting character in what may be the next trilogy of AC games.

Well he's already been reincarnated God knows how many times. He'll just come back in another body eventually. With the way they're milking this series, we'll have AC games every year for decades, so he'd have more than enough time to grow back up into an adult again :p

twenty_glyphs
11-11-2013, 05:41 PM
Just finished the game last night, and I actually really like the way the historical story played out as a whole. I think it did a good job of staying away from just duplicating past historical stories in the series with things like the unique way Edward is introduced to the Assassins and Templars (which I loved and hooked me into the story immediately), and the way the story doesn't have to climax with a final revelation or fight. I agree with Assassin_M about the story having several mini story arcs, and I really enjoyed that approach. It felt like a real journey because of that, and kept me engaged with the story more than any previous AC games because the status quo was always naturally evolving.

I liked that we got to see the Observatory in Sequence 10 and didn't have to wait all the way to the end to see the interesting First Civilization aspect of the historical story. It also gave Edward and us time to understand the technology he'd seen a little bit. I'm really glad this didn't just follow the same old formula of being the last sequence. I liked how it launched the final arc, with Edward helping the Assassins. Once I realized the final sequence was going to be a series of assassinations, I was hooked and pumped. I really like how the final sequence was a tour of major portions of the game, from Kingston to the pirate/jungle gameplay back to Havana and back to the Observatory infiltration. It just felt well thought-out and was a fun ride.

And the epilogue was really well-done and haunting, which was nice. I can't say enough how nice it was that Edward's story was fun and enjoyable without just hitting the same notes as Ezio. To me, the climax was the entirety of Sequence 10-12.

As for the Sage, the strategy guide had an interesting insight. It's very possible that there are multiple Sages living in the world as of 2013, and John from IT was just one of them. The game clearly says sometimes 100 or more years passes between Sages and sometimes 2 are born in the same decade. It's some kind of code living in DNA that gets combined every so often in the right way and transforms the human zygote it combines within into the Sage. The guide says that there were about 650 million people in the world during Edward's time, so it's possible that in 2013 there are Sages being born more often because there are 7 billion people in the world by then.

TheDanteEX
11-11-2013, 06:38 PM
It plays with the AC formula and I feel it works well.

Especially the final sequence where Edward begins assassinating his targets "classic Assassin" style. I thought that was a fantastic idea. Sort of reminds me of the GTA V ending.