PDA

View Full Version : Ed Thatch [Spoliers]

Ritterkreuz1978
11-08-2013, 04:24 PM
The Death of Ed Thatch has to be one of the saddest deaths depicted in an AC game since Ezio lost his family. My hats off to Ubisoft for portraying him in the way that they did, because even though I knew it was coming, I truly felt bad as I watched Blackbeard's demise.

Here's to you Captain Thatch, or Thach, Thache, Thack, Tack, Thatche or Theach, or whatever your real name actually was.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/04/Pirate_Flag_of_Blackbeard_%28Edward_Teach%29.svg/220px-Pirate_Flag_of_Blackbeard_%28Edward_Teach%29.svg.p ng

MIA SILENT
11-08-2013, 05:02 PM
"He drinks damnation"

Loved that line. It made me happy that Thatch went out the way he wanted and always knew he would.

Assassin_M
11-08-2013, 05:32 PM
I'd place it like this..

1- Connor's mom/ Yusuf
2- Mary Read
3- Ed Thatch

all heart breaking :|

Kaschra
11-08-2013, 05:38 PM
That scene was both epic and sad. They really did a great job with that.
He was looking forward to retire to live a calm life, and it's so sad the see he couldn't...

Ritterkreuz1978
11-08-2013, 05:38 PM
Speaking of Mary Read, I mean come on. Who didn't see the "James Kidd is actually Mary Read" thing coming from a mile away?

roostersrule2
11-08-2013, 05:40 PM
Speaking of Mary Read, I mean come on. Who didn't see the "James Kidd is actually Mary Read" thing coming from a mile away?I didn't because I didn't know who Mary Read was, what I didn't get was how no one knew she was a chick, I was stunned when I found out her name was James.

Assassin_M
11-08-2013, 05:41 PM
Speaking of Mary Read, I mean come on. Who didn't see the "James Kidd is actually Mary Read" thing coming from a mile away?

I thought something wasn't right about "James" but I didn't know 'he' was Mary xP

now the feminist hordes will be like "Waaaa waaaa the Chick dies, so sexist and and...BIGOTRY BIGOTRY"

Ritterkreuz1978
11-08-2013, 05:48 PM
Sorry folks, but that's history, death by childbirth is the official reason for her death in real life in April of 1721, but there's no record of her baby or a burial.

Farlander1991
11-08-2013, 06:01 PM
"In a World without Gold, we might have been Heroes!"

pacmanate
11-08-2013, 06:02 PM
It was so obvious James was a woman :| worst plot twist, ever.

roostersrule2
11-08-2013, 06:04 PM
It was so obvious James was a woman :| worst plot twist, ever.I think the bigger plot twist was when she was first called James, never have I been so gender confused.

Farlander1991
11-08-2013, 06:05 PM

While I never doubted that James was a woman (simply because I knew about Mary Read), it's not like there aren't very effeminate men in this world (especially when they're younger).

Kaschra
11-08-2013, 06:05 PM
I already knew Kidd was a woman only from seeing one screenshot of her from one of the trailers, and I also guessed she might be Mary Read.
Ha, I was completely right! :D

guardian_titan
11-08-2013, 06:17 PM
I think Mary Read had a more emotional death than Blackbeard's. Can't say I was overly shocked by his death, but I also knew that was coming and basically how. Mary Read I knew died, but I wasn't expecting Edward's reaction since there was little indication he was interested in her until the later scenes with her. I also thought it was pretty obvious James was a woman. Either the guys were really unobservant (they did drink rum) or they knew but chose to go along with it.

I don't know but Mary Read's story seemed a bit tacked on as did Anne Bonny. Mary Read's death was emotional, but likely only due to Edward's reaction to it. Take out his reaction and there wasn't much reason to really mourn her from the player's perspective. She wasn't really developed much as a character. Ziio's and Ezio's family's death were far more emotional once that's taken into account. I think so much attention was put into Blackbeard that every other character (besides Edward) such as Mary Read suffered in terms of character development. I can't say I was really overly effected by any of the deaths in AC4 honestly. But then again, I also knew they were coming. Previous games, the emotional deaths weren't typically of real people so we didn't expect them. Rather hard to shock someone when they know it's coming.

Give how Mary Read died, though, possible she gave birth prematurely. Being locked up in prison while pregnant isn't good for anyone's health let alone a pregnant woman. Baby probably was stillborn and since much stock wasn't given to stillborn babies at the time, not unlikely it was just thrown into the sea or something. Stillborns were lucky to get a grave marker let alone be recorded in any records. Mary Read being a pirate likely didn't help the treatment of her dead child. On top of that, she was also unmarried. A big taboo at the time. So no surprise Mary Read's child wasn't listed in any record. And due to lack of prenatal care at the time, either Mary Read died from an infection or possible blood loss if she tore internally during the birth. She would've died from that even if she wasn't in prison. Most women who died in childbirth at the time died more often from infection than anything else. And usually that related to the doctor or midwife not cleaning themselves between births. They just went from patient to patient. Sanitation was certain an issue then, but since people were lucky to take one bath a month then, not surprising. Since Mary Read was in a filthy prison cell, infection is certainly likely regardless if a midwife was there to deliver the baby.

Kaschra
11-08-2013, 06:24 PM
I don't know but Mary Read's story seemed a bit tacked on as did Anne Bonny. Mary Read's death was emotional, but likely only due to Edward's reaction to it. Take out his reaction and there wasn't much reason to really mourn her from the player's perspective. She wasn't really developed much as a character. Ziio's and Ezio's family's death were far more emotional once that's taken into account. I think so much attention was put into Blackbeard that every other character (besides Edward) such as Mary Read suffered in terms of character development. I can't say I was really overly effected by any of the deaths in AC4 honestly. But then again, I also knew they were coming. Previous games, the emotional deaths weren't typically of real people so we didn't expect them. Rather hard to shock someone when they know it's coming.

Her death only emotional because of Edward's reaction?
There wasn't much reason to really mourn her?
Wasn't developed as a character?

I COULDN'T DISAGREE MORE WITH YOU

Farlander1991
11-08-2013, 07:10 PM
but I wasn't expecting Edward's reaction since there was little indication he was interested in her until the later scenes with her.

That's because he, well, wasn't interested in her. There's this thing, it's called friendship (and also mentorship in Mary's case). Signs of affection and care are not necessarily signs of a personal interest to potentially spend tye rest, or a considerable amount, of your life with somebody.

monteiro416
11-08-2013, 07:13 PM
I think Mary Read had a more emotional death than Blackbeard's. Can't say I was overly shocked by his death, but I also knew that was coming and basically how. Mary Read I knew died, but I wasn't expecting Edward's reaction since there was little indication he was interested in her until the later scenes with her. I also thought it was pretty obvious James was a woman. Either the guys were really unobservant (they did drink rum) or they knew but chose to go along with it.

Give how Mary Read died, though, possible she gave birth prematurely. Being locked up in prison while pregnant isn't good for anyone's health let alone a pregnant woman. Baby probably was stillborn and since much stock wasn't given to stillborn babies at the time, not unlikely it was just thrown into the sea or something. Stillborns were lucky to get a grave marker let alone be recorded in any records. Mary Read being a pirate likely didn't help the treatment of her dead child. On top of that, she was also unmarried. A big taboo at the time. So no surprise Mary Read's child wasn't listed in any record. And due to lack of prenatal care at the time, either Mary Read died from an infection or possible blood loss if she tore internally during the birth. She would've died from that even if she wasn't in prison. Most women who died in childbirth at the time died more often from infection than anything else. And usually that related to the doctor or midwife not cleaning themselves between births. They just went from patient to patient. Sanitation was certain an issue then, but since people were lucky to take one bath a month then, not surprising. Since Mary Read was in a filthy prison cell, infection is certainly likely regardless if a midwife was there to deliver the baby.

I agree with you here. I think they tried to develop Mary but it wasn't that successful. It was nice that Edward had someone believe in him from the start, and that she introduced him to the Brotherhood, but other than that, she wasn't really present much. She went off with Anne and Jack to plunder. And I don't recall her doing much as an assassin anyway.

As for Blackbeard, not only did everyone love him due to his cheery nature (and great quotes), but also he was about to retire and leave it all behind, making for a much a more emotional death. And I suppose fighting for your life after being ambushed seems a more heroic death than childbirth.

BATISTABUS
11-08-2013, 07:17 PM
Really wish there was more of this guy...awesome death scene though. Possibly the most vicious cinematic kill next to that one guy in AC1 that got stabbed to death in the fountain.

Assassin_M
11-08-2013, 07:36 PM
That's because he, well, wasn't interested in her. There's this thing, it's called friendship (and also mentorship in Mary's case). Signs of affection and care are not necessarily signs of a personal interest to potentially spend tye rest, or a considerable amount, of your life with somebody.

Wait....you can be friends with a Female? God, I thought you only had sex with those...

pacmanate
11-08-2013, 07:42 PM
Wait....you can be friends with a Female? God, I thought you only had sex with those...

I think im doing females wrong.

LoyalACFan
11-08-2013, 08:44 PM

I don't really think it was supposed to be a huge twist. I saw it coming (though I didn't connect it to Mary Read) but I feel like Edward did too. If you listen to their dialogue in early sequences before the big "reveal", Edward sort of pokes fun at James' supposed backstory and picks up on the fact that there's more to him than meets the eye. Plus, when he actually finds out, he's just like "Yeah, your name's not actually James, is it?" Rather than "WHOA DUDE JAMES, YOU'RE NOT ACTUALLY A DUDE, HOLY SHIIIIII-"

pacmanate
11-08-2013, 08:50 PM
I don't really think it was supposed to be a huge twist. I saw it coming (though I didn't connect it to Mary Read) but I feel like Edward did too. If you listen to their dialogue in early sequences before the big "reveal", Edward sort of pokes fun at James' supposed backstory and picks up on the fact that there's more to him than meets the eye. Plus, when he actually finds out, he's just like "Yeah, your name's not actually James, is it?" Rather than "WHOA DUDE JAMES, YOU'RE NOT ACTUALLY A DUDE, HOLY SHIIIIII-"

Thats why you kick humans in the crotch. If they are in agony, they are male.

MIA SILENT
11-08-2013, 08:54 PM
Thats why you kick humans in the crotch. If they are in agony, they are male.

Yes, and do it to a woman she giggles >_>

EaglePrince25
11-08-2013, 10:14 PM
Blackbeard, Mary, Jack, I think they each had meaningful and sad deaths. Heck, Jack betrayed Edward, stole his ship, and marooned him on an island, yet the way Edward was still able to say some kind words for him was wonderful.

I never did find Charles Vane though, and I swear I killed every.single.person in that prison, and didn't see him anywhere.

itsamea-mario
11-08-2013, 11:42 PM
It was sad.
That seems to be a big thing in the story, how edward's life is a lonely one, those people where the closest thing he had to friends, and they all died, or lost their way.
I really loved the bit in the ending where he sees them all at the table, some may call that cheesy, but i enjoyed it, that ending made me tear up.

Edit, and on the subject of Kidd/Reed, she seemed like a fairly feminine male, mostly they way she talked, and maybe even moved, i kinda suspected that it might be a woman, but then when she reveals that she is a woman, i found her especially masculine for a woman, it was weird, strange voice.

Shahkulu101
11-09-2013, 01:06 AM
Just spoiled myself about Mary Read, gah I hate myself why couldn't I resist the dreaded spoiler tags!

Oh well, kinda saw it coming. I mean I knew Blackbeard died but I was still really sad at his death, experienced it like an hour ago. I'll probably be touched by Read's death, she's perhaps my favorite supporting character. Me being on sequence 8, I expect the barrage of unrelenting death to come in the next few sequences.

Ritterkreuz1978
11-22-2013, 08:35 PM
Hate to bring back a forgotten Thread, but let us all raise a glass and give a toast to Blackbeard, who really did perish on this day in 1718.

ze_topazio
11-22-2013, 08:47 PM
RIP Blackbeard, your black beard shall never be forgotten.

tymaster50
11-22-2013, 09:06 PM
I'm not into pirate stuff so I had no idea who these people were lol I knew it was a girl though, my male intuition told me so (reference to pokemon)

egriffin09
11-22-2013, 09:13 PM
I don't know anything about pirate history. The only pirate I knew before this game was Blackbeard, so I didn't see any of it coming. I thought Kidd was just young with a undeveloped voice.

ze_topazio
11-22-2013, 09:21 PM
I thought Kidd was just a teenager but then i realized i had never heard of Captain Kidd having a bastard son and that made me suspicious.

RoBg03
11-22-2013, 09:48 PM
I was more upset about yusuf's death in revelations. we already knew blackbeard was gonna die, and when they said they were going to charleston, i knew it was all over for him. they didn't include the part where he ditches half his crew though...guess that would have made him a less sympathetic character

Hans684
11-22-2013, 10:03 PM
I was more upset about yusuf's death in revelations. we already knew blackbeard was gonna die, and when they said they were going to charleston, i knew it was all over for him. they didn't include the part where he ditches half his crew though...guess that would have made him a less sympathetic character

Not really, Charles Vane And Black Bart is a lot worse.

XLT sMasHerZZX
11-23-2013, 12:21 AM
Yusuf was sadder then Thatch, Thatch was a nice guy but I didn't feel like he was as memorable then Yusuf, in my opinion of course.

There is one man who takes the cake for saddest death though.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b6/Lee_Everett.jpg

DarktheMagister
11-23-2013, 12:24 AM
Stede Bonnet was the saddest one. End of Story.

DarktheMagister
11-23-2013, 12:28 AM
I thought Kidd was just a teenager but then i realized i had never heard of Captain Kidd having a bastard son and that made me suspicious.

But there's that whole song:

"My name was Captain Kidd,
AS I SAILED! AS I SAILED!
Oh my name was Captain Kidd as I sailed.

I sired illegitimate children,
AS I SAILED! AS I SAILED!
Oh I sired illegitimate children as I sailed."

roostersrule2
11-23-2013, 12:57 AM
Stede Bonnet was the saddest one. End of Story.He died? When?

roostersrule2
11-23-2013, 12:57 AM
Yusuf was sadder then Thatch, Thatch was a nice guy but I didn't feel like he was as memorable then Yusuf, in my opinion of course.

There is one man who takes the cake for saddest death though.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b6/Lee_Everett.jpgPoor Lee, him and his good friend Mr Marston are the two saddest ever.

ze_topazio
11-23-2013, 01:12 AM
He died? When?

A few weeks or months after the last time we see him, captured and hanged, we don't see it in the game though.

roostersrule2
11-23-2013, 01:13 AM
A few weeks or months after the last time we see him, captured and hanged, we don't see it in the game though.Oh okay, I don't care really he was a poor man's Nigel West ****ens.

DarktheMagister
11-23-2013, 06:14 AM
Oh okay, I don't care really he was a poor man's Nigel West ****ens.

Yeah there's a dialogue going on between 2 guards when you're sneaking into the prison. They're laughing about how he cried as they dragged him before the noose. Because you know..... he wasn't really a pirate....just a sugar farmer from Barbados. Needless to say.... I shived the crap outta those guys.

Perk89
11-23-2013, 08:01 PM
I'm re-reading Forsaken and just find out Edward goes on to name his dog Thatch.... Thinking I need to read the Black Flag book for the series and start combing it for clues on where the series is going next.