PDA

View Full Version : brand new disc won't load - says unreadable

SpheralImp7
11-06-2013, 11:11 PM
I'm unable to load new RockSmith 2014 as console says disc is unreadable

disc was brand new, clean, no scratches … and then re-cleaned with soft clothe
console is up to date with recent updates and all other games run no problem after Rocksmith wouldn't load

Others are also complaining of there same issue on the xbox 360 Rocksmith 2014 forum ….. so doesn't seem to be just me

All advice appreciated

rcole_sooner
11-06-2013, 11:21 PM
If you have access to another console, you could try it in that to see if the disc will load there.

Tolerances can get out of whack on CD drives. My old xbox always had troubles, but my son's new one could read 'em fine.

I think I had to install the RS1 disc onto my old xbox, but then it eventually crapped out on me. The new thinline read the discs fine.

Try installing it to the hard drive vs just playing from disc is one thing to try. At least if it ever does install, you won't have to worry about reading it all the time ... or at least not much of it.

You can also try reading/loading it at various temps of your console. Try it when the console is cold and hasnt' been run for a while. Try it after the console has run for a while and is warmed up.

You could try carefully cleaning the console and making sure it has plenty of ventilation. And the power adapter too.

The 360 especially the older models had bad CD drive locations right over the graphics card ... or so I've heard.

It if won't install or play at all, then you will just have to try another disc.

Not much help, I know, but that is all I got.

toymachinesh
11-07-2013, 12:40 AM
That could be a sign that the RRoD is coming. Brace yourself.

rcole_sooner
11-07-2013, 01:32 AM
I didn't wanna say that, but that is indeed what happened on my old xbox.

JessePasternak
11-27-2013, 05:54 PM
So, I just bought my rocksmith 2014 online. Got it in the mail today. I put it in my xbox 360 and got the same problem as you. Everytime I put the disc in I get "disc is unreadable". I went to my local gamestop to trade the game in for another one... thinking it was the game. I got the same problem when I got back and put the disc in. My Xbox 360 still plays all my other games fine, it's just rocksmith 2014 that doesn't work.

starzandstripes
12-08-2013, 05:40 AM
So, I just bought my rocksmith 2014 online. Got it in the mail today. I put it in my xbox 360 and got the same problem as you. Everytime I put the disc in I get "disc is unreadable". I went to my local gamestop to trade the game in for another one... thinking it was the game. I got the same problem when I got back and put the disc in. My Xbox 360 still plays all my other games fine, it's just rocksmith 2014 that doesn't work.

I have the exact same issue. Any fixes for this?

rcole_sooner
12-08-2013, 06:06 AM
My old xbox used to get unreadable discs on some titles. My son's xbox never did. I would just swap hard drives and copy the game then swap back.

My point is some xbox disc drives just don't read all the discs very well.

If you can try to install the game to the hard drive. If it will ever install, you should be good to go.

FWIW, my old xbox did finally RROD and my new one read discs great.

lukinreprise
03-31-2014, 02:43 PM
My old xbox used to get unreadable discs on some titles. My son's xbox never did. I would just swap hard drives and copy the game then swap back.

My point is some xbox disc drives just don't read all the discs very well.

If you can try to install the game to the hard drive. If it will ever install, you should be good to go.

FWIW, my old xbox did finally RROD and my new one read discs great.

Was a fix ever found for this? I recently purchased rocksmith 2014 and when I got it home I tried loading the game in my console and i kept getting a "disc is unreadable" error. I tried it on my step sons console, and same thing. Finally, I tried it on my nephews console and it worked perfectly! I tried installing the game, swapping drives and loading it up that way but it doesn't work.. My console doesnt recognize it at all.

Im on a 250gb shiny
Step son has 4gb shiny
Nephew has 4gb matte

Any help would be appreciated! Im desperate! Don't want to have to spend $60 on the games on demand version!

rcole_sooner
03-31-2014, 04:06 PM
Nope. It is just a known issue ... especially with the old style xbox 360s.

The best thing to try is to clean off the vent holes, make sure the console and power supply are well ventilated, and maybe even raise the power supply off the floor.

Try installing the disc to harddrive when the system is first started for the day and is "cold".

Once it is installed to the harddrive, it only has to read a small portion of the disc, and things usually work after that.

I had a few games on my old 360 that had to be done that way.

nickmcgo
11-07-2014, 01:54 AM
Nope. It is just a known issue ... especially with the old style xbox 360s.

The best thing to try is to clean off the vent holes, make sure the console and power supply are well ventilated, and maybe even raise the power supply off the floor.

Try installing the disc to harddrive when the system is first started for the day and is "cold".

Once it is installed to the harddrive, it only has to read a small portion of the disc, and things usually work after that.

I had a few games on my old 360 that had to be done that way.

Stop saying to install the disc to the hard drive. It won't read the disc. We CAN'T install it to the harddrive

rcole_sooner
11-07-2014, 02:52 PM
You can try.

I've had discs that fail 99% of the time, but if I can get them to read all the way through 1 time, then I can install and play a game.

Saves the headache of having to go buy another copy of a game ... or even trade in for a clean copy ... or just get me up for the night so I can go trade in the next day.

All I am sayin' is it is worth a try.

CaptainKhaotik
01-17-2015, 10:22 AM
I know this thread is a touch old. But, I was experiencing an issue with my Rocksmith 2014 disc after not playing it (or any games on my 360) for several months. In my exasperation with XBox and Ubisoft help sites, I turned to the forums. I suspected it might be either the disc (unscratched, like new) or the drive (maybe it's dusty from sitting around, being neglected). I did notice that, in my rounds of "turning it off then on again", that the Ubisoft screen partially loaded. So, the disc WAS readable. Somewhat. So, I decided to try something insane. I turned my XBox on its side! And. It. Worked!!!

I don't know if it will work for everybody, but what could it hurt? (Note: turn the console on its side GENTLY with the power switched OFF. This is just a precaution so you don't damage any discs/drives)

FoxTrot1138
02-21-2015, 04:25 AM
I know this forum is old, but did anyone ever find out what the problem was? My copy stopped working suddenly. It's the only disc that doesn't work in my Xbox. Deleted my cache and game updates, didn't do anything.

flynlion
02-27-2015, 04:51 PM
I'm having the same troubles, xbox won't read the RockSmith disc. Plays every other game, CD or DVD just fine but not RS :( I'm gonna try one of those DVD lens cleaners next.

poppaearl40
03-01-2015, 08:38 PM
At this point I am relatively sure the problem is on Ubisofts end and from what I have seen so far, you have a better shot at riding a unicorn than getting a resolution. I sent in my disk a month ago and have not heard back and rolling through the forums shows you that this problem is common enough to get their attention. If they wanted to. I have tried the disk cleaners, GrooveGlide, toothpaste, turning it on it's side and at one point there was a live chicken sacrificed. I have been working with computers, consoles and drives since my first 386sx and if this much effort is required on my end, it's a problem they started. I was really looking forward to trying it again too.

Good luck

poppaearl40
03-05-2015, 09:53 PM
As much as I loathe Class Action suits, right now it looks like that may be the only option left. Sent a note in December, mailed in a disc in January and have heard nothing since and see there are a whole bunch of other people having the exact same issue. If it were a level glitch or something that would be fine but this is a game I spent 60 bucks on, bought a mess of DLC for and now am waiting along with others to actually play it. The other problem is that this was a massive upgrade from the original Rocksmith so it's not like you can just go back to the other while you wait forever. This is why people hate giant companies.

FoxTrot1138
03-12-2015, 05:38 PM
I'm in the same boat. I bought my RS2014 disc for 360 last summer and it worked perfectly, then I had a lot of life stuff happen and I didn't play it for a couple months. Around December I put it in to play, it downloaded a quick update and then refused to load. Disc unrecognized/unreadable. On occasion the game logo will actually appear and look like it'll work, but after a couple splash screens it freezes and give me the unreadable message again.
I've uninstalled all the updates, the system cache, tried with/without my hard-drive in my system, even deleted my save progress and no difference. I've tried a dozen times to install it to hard drive (on the rare occasion is allows me to try) and it always makes it to the exact same percentage mark and it freezes and gives me the unreadable message(I believe 52%). I'm extremely frustrated at this issue because theres nothing I can do except buy a different xbox to play the game apparently. I've found several forums with people reporting the same issue, disc unrecognized/unreadable, and no solutions. My 360 is an older model, but there is literally no other discs it has problems with. I take care of my xbox, but the only suggestions anyone gives for this issue is that the system is going RrOD. Not the case.
My only thought still is that this is a disc manufacturing issue, that older systems are hardly able to read the disc period. It doesn't explain to me why my copy worked for months, then suddenly not. I wish Ubi cared enough to help in some way. I have my receipt for the game, can I get a digital download replacement please?? If the issue really is that their discs are unfairly not usable for certain systems, that would seem a viable solution to me and others who paid for a game that (after the return to store period is long gone) no longer works. Gamestop where I purchased mine doesn't even accept copies of the game in trade-in(maybe because of this issue?)!! So I can't even trade for another copy to look for one that works in my system. If I could even just install it to hard-drive maybe it would work from there, but I can't unless I manage to find someone else with a copy I can borrow, but who knows how many you'd have to try for one to work if your system is one of the affected consoles?

Black_Widow9
03-13-2015, 12:31 AM
As much as I loathe Class Action suits, right now it looks like that may be the only option left. Sent a note in December, mailed in a disc in January and have heard nothing since and see there are a whole bunch of other people having the exact same issue. If it were a level glitch or something that would be fine but this is a game I spent 60 bucks on, bought a mess of DLC for and now am waiting along with others to actually play it. The other problem is that this was a massive upgrade from the original Rocksmith so it's not like you can just go back to the other while you wait forever. This is why people hate giant companies.
Where did you mail the disc too? Did you track it? Have you tried getting in contact with Support or recontacting them about your Ticket?

I'm in the same boat. I bought my RS2014 disc for 360 last summer and it worked perfectly, then I had a lot of life stuff happen and I didn't play it for a couple months. Around December I put it in to play, it downloaded a quick update and then refused to load. Disc unrecognized/unreadable. On occasion the game logo will actually appear and look like it'll work, but after a couple splash screens it freezes and give me the unreadable message again.
I've uninstalled all the updates, the system cache, tried with/without my hard-drive in my system, even deleted my save progress and no difference. I've tried a dozen times to install it to hard drive (on the rare occasion is allows me to try) and it always makes it to the exact same percentage mark and it freezes and gives me the unreadable message(I believe 52%). I'm extremely frustrated at this issue because theres nothing I can do except buy a different xbox to play the game apparently. I've found several forums with people reporting the same issue, disc unrecognized/unreadable, and no solutions. My 360 is an older model, but there is literally no other discs it has problems with. I take care of my xbox, but the only suggestions anyone gives for this issue is that the system is going RrOD. Not the case.
My only thought still is that this is a disc manufacturing issue, that older systems are hardly able to read the disc period. It doesn't explain to me why my copy worked for months, then suddenly not. I wish Ubi cared enough to help in some way. I have my receipt for the game, can I get a digital download replacement please?? If the issue really is that their discs are unfairly not usable for certain systems, that would seem a viable solution to me and others who paid for a game that (after the return to store period is long gone) no longer works. Gamestop where I purchased mine doesn't even accept copies of the game in trade-in(maybe because of this issue?)!! So I can't even trade for another copy to look for one that works in my system. If I could even just install it to hard-drive maybe it would work from there, but I can't unless I manage to find someone else with a copy I can borrow, but who knows how many you'd have to try for one to work if your system is one of the affected consoles?
Please make sure you create a Ticket with Ubisoft Support so they can troubleshoot this with you.
https://support.ubi.com (https://support.ubi.com/)

A few additional things to try-

I would also suggest this article from Xbox Support. While you may have already tried the first troubleshooting step they will give you others if it didn't work.
http://support.xbox.com/en-CA/xbox-360/system/disc-drive-solution

A lot of Xbox issues can also be fixed by clearing your cache.
http://support.xbox.com/en-CA/xbox-360/system/clear-system-cache

benDrexl
07-28-2015, 10:58 PM
I just bought a like-new used copy from Amazon, disc is mint (I even checked the thickness with digital calipers to see if it had been resurfaced) and looks absolutely perfect. This is literally the only game, ever, in the life of this xbox 360 (slim 4gb + 250gb hdd) that I've gotten a 'disc unreadable' error for.

It actually loaded up the very first time I put the disc in (autoplay), then prompted me to update the game which I did.

The game restarted after update, then I quit back to the dashboard to install it to the HDD. Except, there was no "Install" option after pressing 'Y', just a tile to purchase the Games-on-Demand version. Weird. So I try to play from the disc again, and now I get the 'unreadable' error every time.

It seems like the title update broke it... but is that even possible? Do I just return it to Amazon, or will UbiSoft replace the disc? Gee, I wonder why Amazon has so many used copies of this game available...

rcole_sooner
07-29-2015, 01:18 PM
The update most certainly did not cause the disc to become unreadable.

I would talk about the console overheating, but slims are not known for that issue, AFAIK.

Try to copy the game disc to your consoles hard drive. It may fail several times, but if you can get it to succeed once, your are set to go.

You can probably/maybe take the disc back to the store you purchased it from and swap for a working disc.

Danson79
09-22-2015, 08:40 AM
The update most certainly did not cause the disc to become unreadable.

I would talk about the console overheating, but slims are not known for that issue, AFAIK.

Try to copy the game disc to your consoles hard drive. It may fail several times, but if you can get it to succeed once, your are set to go.

You can probably/maybe take the disc back to the store you purchased it from and swap for a working disc.

There was blatantly an issue with the disc pressings. I had the PS3 version, purchased brand new at launch (upgraded to PS4 digital now) and I would have to reinsert the disc three or four times before it would read. I thought the BluRay drive was dying, but nope - every other disc game worked fine.

rcole_sooner
09-22-2015, 01:16 PM
Bad discs do happen, but patches/updates don't make discs go bad.