PDA

View Full Version : my argument that aciv is factually the best ac GAME. [might contain spoilers]

riftsNglyphs
11-04-2013, 08:24 PM
so, I finished aciv last night and I agree with the wide sentiment here that aciv is indeed the best in the series. my previous best was acii, but it has been unseated. this is all opinion of course, but I just want to argue that aciv is factually the best ac game from the ones we got, obviously it can be better, but I'm arguing for the best of what we have.

what does aciv have? arguably the best addition to the ac series since ezio auditore. the naval aspect. naval gameplay introduced a huge number of gameplay possibilities and a whole new amount of play time. sailing, fighting, boarding and plundering work great and they're the most fun ANY ac fan could ask for. there are different approaches to everything. you can choose to climb a ship and take it stealthily, keep shooting at from afar or go in for close quarters combat. it's innovative and very fun.

the second thing is exploration. any open world game should have a decent amount of time spilled in just exploration. the world should be interesting to look at, fun and engaging to navigate and most importantly- be filled with things to do. aciv fills that criteria. it's graphically stunning and it's a joy to walk, run, climb around the various settlements, villages and jungles in the vast world. every location is distinct and has something you want from it. mayan puzzles, treasures, buried plans, mysteries, taverns, contracts..etc. there's always something waiting for you on the dots of land.

the third thing is the side missions. aciv has an ENORMOUS amount of side activities and they're all engaging and fun, which is a great step up from some of the most disappointing side activities in ac3. you can destroy and infiltrate naval forts, harpoon whales and sharks, dive the oceans, raid smuggling dens, recruit pirates, board convoys, take contracts, help bureau leaders, chase shanties (which make for great plat forming puzzles) look for buried plans, infiltrate plantations, play with Edward's fleet, play board games and even have a drink. all of these side activites are very engaging and immersive that make you feel like an assassin and pirate. never did I ever feel like I was one over the other. both professions are given an equal treatment in my opinion.

fourth is progression. i'll tackle gameplay progression. the amount of progress this game has is unprecededant. you can upgrade Edward's arsenal, Edward's health, edward's wardrobe, the jackdaw and his hideout. all of this gives the economic system a great boost of life and makes it always moving. getting and spending money all the time. there's always cash flow in or out and EVERY upgrade matters. you WANT to have every upgrade.

fifth is the gameplay. stealth, navigation and combat are ac's core pillars and aciv does all of them right. guard ai MAY be a downgrade from ac3's telepathic guard ai, but at least it's fun and the addition of snipers makes it all work well. infiltrating the various plantations gave me more fun than ANY of ac1-ac3 infiltration missions combined. every tool, every bale of hay, every stalking zone makes sense and makes for a meaningful route for you to take. the possibilities are endless once you get the blow pipe too. it's very fun when you can play around the ai with the darts. ai can certainly be better, but it's major fun right now. navigation always worked well in ac imo, so aciv just adds naval navigation which, again, it does very well. it operates the way you expect it to every time. combat is a bit of a downgrade from ac3. it's a bit sluggish, which was my problem with acr's combat. long and unnecessary animation for kills sometimes frustrated me, but that's my only complaint.

sixth is the story, though I wont speak too much about this one, since all of the above is enough to warrant why i think aciv is the best ac game. the story is pretty good. not the best thing ever, but was great to follow. Edward is a great character. not like ezio, not like altair and not like connor. Edward is Edward. he stands on his own. my favorite protagonist remains ezio, but Edward is a close second now. his story was coherent, personal and very engaging imo. it had the assassin element as much as you'd expect, meaning that you hear the creed, get explanations and see how it shapes Edward throughout the game. good stuff. a colorful set of characters, a fair number of assassinations and a happy ending made it all the more engaging.

so this can be considered my review for aciv. thanks for reading.

DinoSteve1
11-04-2013, 08:27 PM
We get it ACIV is you favourite game in the series, just like AC3 is my least favourite.

riftsNglyphs
11-04-2013, 08:29 PM
We get it ACIV is you favourite game in the series, just like AC3 is my least favourite.

who's we? you? i hardly think you matter. i'm giving my opinion and argument, if you'll be a smartass, gtfo and 'we get it. ac3 is least your favorite. no one cares'

DinoSteve1
11-04-2013, 08:43 PM
Sorry for ruffling you feathers there, it was not my intent but you should be aware the like Film, Gaming is subjective not everyone will agree with your points, not everyone will agree that they are facts. tbh bar the navel part part of the game there isn't much difference in the gameplay of AC3 and AC4, the controls are a we bit tighter and thats about it and I don't agree the story is better than AC2 the side characters of AC4 are better yes but not the overall plot. I'd say the plot is a very big weak point of AC4.

riftsNglyphs
11-04-2013, 08:48 PM
Sorry for ruffling you feathers there, it was not my intent but you should be aware the like Film, Gaming is subjective not everyone will agree with your points, not everyone will agree that they are facts. tbh bar the navel part part of the game there isn't much difference in the gameplay of AC3 and AC4, the controls are a we bit tighter and thats about it and I don't agree the story is better than AC2 the side characters of AC4 are better yes but not the overall plot. I'd say the plot is a very big weak point of AC4.

I know it's subjective and i know some may not agree, but that's what an argument is. discussions arise and explanations are given on points of view. i never intended to convince anyone, i'm just presenting my opinion argumentatively, because honestly this whole 'nyaa nyaaa your opinion my opinion' lacks any substance and makes the forum stagnant. this creates dynamism.

also, i can say 'remove this' from any game and it'll be whatever. fact is, naval is a part of aciv, it's there. you can't say 'remove naval and it's nothing special' that's just nonsense.

so, to start an argument, please tell me how aciv's plot is weak.

Black_Widow9
11-05-2013, 05:56 AM
Yes things are subjective and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If you don't agree that's fine but you don't need to be rude. As long as opinions and posts are constructive they are allowed here.

roostersrule2
11-05-2013, 08:37 AM
who's we? you? i hardly think you matter. i'm giving my opinion and argument, if you'll be a smartass, gtfo and 'we get it. ac3 is least your favorite. no one cares'Hahaha

SirZeel
02-05-2014, 05:25 PM
Few warnings before my post.
- Sorry for my imperfect english, I hope I'll be clear enough for all of you to understand my point.
- I played only AC, ACII, AC Brotherhood, AC Revelation, ACIII, ACIV and the Aveline spin-off. I don't know all the other games like Liberation or similar ones, so sorry if my post will lack something.
- Long post.
- Spoilers ahead.

please tell me how aciv's plot is weak.

I'd be glad to explain that.
ACIV is not the worst title in the serie [this award goes to ACIII] but for sure is the second one. Let's try to analyze things.

A short resume of ACIII is needed to fully understand ACIV.
Pros: better graphic; simpler commands; improved fighting; interesting present-day storyline.
Cons: Connor is the least carismatic Assassin ever seen, if it wasn't for a TOTALLY CASUAL view of the Assassin's symbol he could easily have become a Templar or even none of them... he can't even handle Haytham charm, let's not talk about Ezio's; total lack of the atmosphere of a REAL WAR between Assassins and Templars, it's just the story of an indian guy who wants revenge; speaking about, an indian who helps the patriot side? Come on, that's hilarious; the improved money-making system is very nice... but money are kinda useless in this game, since you can easily buy everything without effort; climbing is almost useless since there are so many huge roads. I'm stopping here since we're not talking about ACIII in this post, but I could continue for more points.

Now, let's talk about Edward Kenway and ACIV overall.
Plot: ARRRR, IMMA PIRATE! YOHO, RUM, *****ES! End plot. Seriously, why is the game called Assassin's Creed? Could have been Pirate's Creed without problems. The presence of Assassins is almost totally absent and Edward is fighting Templars just because they were against his economic interests. If happened that he first met the Assassins searching the Observator [is it called like this in english?] he would totally fight them and probably would have ended helping the Templars. He totally miss the Assassin's spirit, the charm, the conviction for the cause, the motivation for the Assassin's purposes, the loyalty to the loved ones. He's coherent, without doubts, with himself: he's a pirate, he wants money... but he's WAY TOO MUCH FORCED by obvious reasons to join the Assassins. He is just a guy who wanted to be trusted... for no good reasons tho, because he didn't fulfill ANY of his promises to Caroline despite all the "heartbreaking" scenes in which he wants to look caregiving.
Speaking about characters, let's talk about Blackbeard and Kidd: well, Kidd was alredy an Assassin, but what about Thatch? He totally eclipse the figure of Edward Kenway... Blackbeard is way more charismatic, way more loyal to his pirate companions at the point that he starts a fight with a whole city just to get medicines for them, and let's not forget about his DEVOTION to the cause of the liberty; as he always said, he would prefer 100 times risking death rather than being alive with no freedom, like the real creed of Assassins. Not speaking about how much cooler he is, beacause this is matter of taste.

Now let's talk about the present-day plot.
We all know we would never have another character like Desmond, and personally I was ready to accept another person even if it was less enjoyable. But apparently Ubisoft didn't think the same thing, and didn't want to even try. Now we have a first-person view of an unkown guy who doesn't talk, doesn't act, doesn't even think about what he's doing and why. He's just John's puppet. And well, even if the twist about reincarnation gives us hope for Desmond, the way Shaun and Rebecca approached the situation is just unbelievable. "Hey there, sorry if we didn't know we were sending a psycho to kill you, it's not like we could and should have learned something about trusting people with all the mess Juno did after we trusted her. It's not like she lied to us after we were freeing her from her prison, killed one of our best friends and collaborators [and son]. Well, good to see you and we don't mind if you want just to tell everything about us stealing Abstergo's files to your boss or want just to tell everything that happened to the Templars. Join us, we can't pay you." Yeah, pretty sums up everything.

I was about to write what all the ship part was about, but it's alredy a long post.
Thanks for reading.

LieutenantRex
02-05-2014, 06:22 PM
ACIV was a great game in terms of gameplay. Fun, fluid, sometimes tiresome combat, and amazing naval features.
Sub-par story, forgettable main protag, and untouched multiplayer bogs it down, but I liked the game.

adventurewomen
02-05-2014, 08:31 PM
OP, just so you know.. this is all your opinion none of what you said is factual it's subjective to your perspective.

AC4 was overrated IMO.. it was way too hyped.

dxsxhxcx
02-05-2014, 08:47 PM
it was way too hyped.

I disagree, from what I remember from the Devs interviews before the release they were much more cautious this time than they were with AC3 that they were trying to sell as the biggest and best AC game ever made...

I agree to an extent that AC4 is overrated, but not because of the way it was advertised (assuming you were talking about that), but because they were successful in distract the player from the stale AC experience we've been getting from years by putting more focus on the naval feature than (what I consider) the core AC experience (cities and all that), in the next game if they don't have anything to put in the way to distract us from the core experience I want to see they achieve the same level of positive reception they achieved with AC4 (I really hope they do, even if my hopes aren't that high, specially after what they've done with modern days), I'm not saying AC4 is a bad game, I had lots of fun with it even with my crappy PC (mostly because of its pirate side than the AC side) but IMO it isn't this masterpiece some people like to paint it as...