PDA

View Full Version : Strategies for achieving variety in AC4

DeanOMiite
11-04-2013, 05:03 PM
Hey so now that I've finally figured out the six bonuses that grant you variety (need any combo of 4 of these six, grab, bench, hidden, focus (50pt short focus counts), chain, acrobatic, if you didn't know) I'm now wondering what the best way to go about achieving variety is. I didn't care much about variety in ACB (foolish, would have made me better), and I really cared about Greater Variety in ACR (made me very very effective) but in AC3, my entire FFA strategy was built around getting extreme variety as quickly as possible and then just stemming the tide for the rest of the match, and I had phenomenal success with it.

But now obviously that's gotta change. I'm now wondering how to best go about achieving as many variety bonuses per match as I possibly can. Obviously it's not super tricky to get hidden or focus or acrobatic, but I mean...grab kills are rare and typically take a failure on the other player's part, rather than skill on your own, bench kills are even more rare (really wish there were more benches so we could have more chances at this!) and chain I feel is mostly out of my control (in FFA anyway). I'm not whining or saying that this makes variety impossible because it's obviously very achievable, I'm just wondering what the community thinks is the best way to go about getting it. Do you go for a grab? Hang out on the benches, wait to get lucky and get a chain? Or does anybody even care about variety anymore?

czeuch
11-04-2013, 09:43 PM
Dude, I had the same strategy for DM: get EV ASAP! It worked very nice.
Getting EV granted you a total of 1200 points summed up during the session. And it was possible to achieve almost every game.

Now, you need 3 of this new variety to get the same points. However, this new variety is much harder to achieve due to the fact you have already mentioned. Grabs and benches are rare, chain is indeed situational, and now with SB and Knives nerfed, it's even more difficult to get chain.

I still haven't figured it out, I didn't even get any Variety yet, but I've played 15 games and i'm still adapting to maps, personas and scores...

AC4 changed a lot. Back in AC3, in DM (my main mode), I used to finish in the podium 99% of the times, and around 70 to 80% 1st. Now... Not so good results anymore :/
But that's a matter for another thread I'll post soon.

Localist2012
11-05-2013, 12:37 AM
It's really bloody difficult. I probably manage to get one every few games and it's all been luck. I keep forgetting to go for it tbh. Guess you've just got to train yourself to think "right, I've got that acro, what's next? Okay, got an hidden. Next?" Talk to yourself while playing, may look mad but it may help, lol.

czeuch
11-05-2013, 12:50 AM
I used to do that with 15 varieties, and it wasn't so hard. I kept track of them mentally. But the issue now is that, as you said, luck in involved more then before.
Getting EV in AC3 wasn't hard, now getting this new Variety seems much harder. I still didn't get it :P

Localist2012
11-05-2013, 01:58 AM
It does feel awesome when the Animus lady goes "variety completed" ( I think that's what she says, if I remember correctly). It kind of turns me on !

DeanOMiite
11-05-2013, 04:48 AM
It's definitely tough. I don't know how I'd change it though, because I sure don't want aerial to count towards variety (too much roofing) and I don't think any variety bonuses should be specific to abilities (like execution for the gun, or anything with poison). But I wish there was like...maybe just one more thing that would count towards it. Even if they had to create a new bonus for it or something, or if they made getting a perfect approach part of it or something.

Right now my strategy has been to have chain be that fourth bonus. I get acro/hidden/focus easy enough. For chain I like to figure out where my target is and just wait near them...eventually, my pursuer will come for me, I'll lead them over to my target (while disguised or glimmered or something, hoping to not tip off my target who may or may not have identified me yet) and then pick up the stun on the pursuer first and then the quick kill. I also have had good luck using revelation as my kill streak (shows me my pursuers) which makes this strategy a little easier.

Bronster
11-05-2013, 11:49 PM
I can't remember for sure but I think getting two quick stuns also counts as a chain bonus.

Localist2012
11-11-2013, 04:38 AM
I can't remember for sure but I think getting two quick stuns also counts as a chain bonus.

Indeed it does.

ThisIsBrybry
11-19-2013, 12:23 AM
I just had booby trap + stun trigger the chain bonus.