PDA

View Full Version : Road 2 Paris Tournament Report

deatrick42
11-04-2013, 06:30 AM
Full R2P Tourney Report from my perspective:

Let me start by saying that this tournament was a lot of fun. All 8 contestants spent about 75% of their time in Paris together, and we had some good times. There will be some potential photo/video evidence in the future at my discretion :)

The first part of this article will go over what people played and soome statistics of the decks and factions people chose. Please keep in mind that the curves (3/4/1 etc) that I have listed are based on what I saw in the games at the live event and may be slightly off.

Day One: Group Stage

Round 1:
Matrix (Sandalphon 3/4/1) def. Avkall (Takana 5/4/1)
Grobyl (Ishuma 5/0/1) def. Trupiciel (Zardoc 5/4/1)
Nillicomes (Acamas 4/0/3) def. Jayzilla (Malik 6/4/1)
Smurfburn (Ishuma 5/0/1) def. Oyau (Sandalphon 3/0/5)

Round 2:
Avkall (Sandalphon 4/3/1) def. Nillicomes (Acamas 4/0/3)
Matrix (Sandalphon 4/3/1) def. Grobyl (Dhamiria 6/4/1)
Smurfburn (Cassandra 4/2/5) def. Jayzilla (Dhamiria 6/4/3)
Oyau (Akane 3/6/2) def. Trupiciel (Sandalphon 3/4/1)

Round 3:
Avkall (Takana 5/4/1) def. Grobyl (Ishuma 5/0/1)
Trupiciel (Zardoc 5/4/1) def. Jayzilla (Dhamiria 6/4/3)
Nillicomes (Ignatius 4/1/5) def. Smurfburn (Cassandra 4/2/5)
Oyau (Akane 3/6/2) def. Matrix (Sandalphon 3/1/5)

Round 4:
Oyau (Dhamiria 6/4/1) def. Avkall (Takana 5/1/4)
Smurfburn (Ishuma 5/0/1) def. Trupiciel (Xorm 6/1/3)
Nillicomes (Ignatius 4/1/5) def. Grobyl (Akane 3/6/1)
Matrix (Hakeem 2/6/4) def. Jayzilla (Malik 6/4/1)

Round 5:
Avkall (Sandalphon 3/4/1) def. Jayzilla (Ishuma 4/4/1)
Oyau (Cassandra 3/1/5) def. Grobyl (Hakeem 3/6/4)
Smurfburn (Ishuma 5/0/1) def. Matrix (Dhamiria 6/4/3)
Nillicomes (Ishuma 4/3/1) def. Trupiciel (Dhamiria 6/4/1)

Round 6:
Avkall (Takana 5/1/3) def. Smurfburn (Zardoc 5/4/1)
Grobyl (Zardoc 5/4/1) def. Jayzilla (Ishuma 4/4/1)
Matrix (Hakeem 2/6/4) def. Trupiciel (Zardoc 5/4/1)
Oyau (Sandalphon 3/4/1) def. Nillicomes (Ishuma 4/3/1)

Round 7:
Avkall (Takana 5/1/3) def. Trupiciel (Akane 3/6/1)
Grobyl (Zardoc 5/4/1) def. Smurfburn (Cassandra 4/2/5)
Jayzilla (Ignatius 4/1/5) def. Oyau (Sandalphon 3/0/5)
Matrix (Sandalphon 3/4/1) def. Nillicomes (Ignatius 4/1/5)

Final Results:
1. Oyau 5-2 (10-5)
2. Matrix 5-2 (11-6)
3. Avkall 5-2 (10-7)
4. Smurfburn 4-3 (11-7)
------------------------------
5. Nillicomes 4-3 (10-7
6. Grobyl 3-4
7. Trupiciel 1-6
8. Jayzilla 1-6

Day Two: Semifinals and Finals

Semi #1
Matrix (Sandalphon 3/4/1) def. Avkall (Zardoc 5/4/1)
Matrix (Sandalphon 3/4/1) def. Avkall (Takana 5/1/4)
Avkall (Acamas 4/0/3) def. Matrix (Sandalphon 3/4/1)
Avkall (Acamas 4/0/3) def. Matrix (Hakeem 2/6/4)
Avkall (Acamas 4/0/3) def. Matrix (Shalar 4/1/5)

Semi #2
Smurfburn (Sandalphon (3/4/1) def. Oyau (Cassandra 3/1/5)
Smurfburn (Dhamiria 6/4/3) def. Oyau (Dhamiria 6/4/2)
Smurfburn (Ishuma (5/0/1) def. Oyau (Akane 3/6/1)

Final
Smurfburn (Dhamiria 6/4/3) def. Avkall (Acamas 4/0/3)
Avkall (Sandalphon (3/4/1) def. Smurfburn (Sandalphon 3/4/1)
Avkall (Takana 5/1/4) def. Smurfburn (Dhamiria 6/4/3)
Smurfburn (Ishuma 5/0/1) def. Avkall (Sandalphon 3/4/1)
Avkall (Acamas 4/0/3) def. Smurfburn (Sandalphon 3/4/1)

Avkall wins it!

Win/Loss by Faction for the tourney:
Stronghold (15 Games) 10 Wins - 5 Losses (67% Win Rate)
Sanctuary (17 Games) 11 Losses - 6 Losses (65% Win Rate)
Haven (23 Games) 12 Wins - 11 Losses (52% Win Rate)
Academy (9 Games) 4 Wins - 5 Losses (44% Win Rate)
Inferno (16 Games) 6 Wins - 10 Losses (38% Win Rate)
Necro (2 Games) 0 Wins - 2 Losses (0% Win Rate)

Win/Loss by Hero for the tourney:
Ignatius (4 Games) 3 Wins - 1 Loss (75% Win Rate)
Acamas (7 Games) 5 Wins - 2 Losses (71% Win Rate)
Sanday Aggro (15 Games) 10 Wins - 5 Losses (67% Win Rate)
Ishuma (11 Games) 7 Wins - 4 Losses (64% Win Rate)
Takana (7 Games) 4 Wins - 3 Losses (57% Win Rate)
Hakeem (4 Games) 2 Wins - 2 Losses (50% Win Rate)
Zardoc (7 Games) 3 Wins - 4 Losses (43% Win Rate)
Akane (5 Games) 2 Wins - 3 Losses (40% Win Rate)
Cassandra (5 Games) 2 Wins - 3 Losses (40% Win Rate)
Dhamiria (10 Games) 3 Wins - 7 Losses (30% Win Rate)
Xorm (1 Game) 0 Wins - 1 Loss (0% Win Rate)
Shalar (1 Game) 0 Wins - 1 Loss (0% Win Rate)
Malik (2 Games) 0 Wins - 2 Losses (0% Win Rate)
Sandy Slowpoke (3 Games) 0 Wins - 3 Losses (0% Win Rate)

Win/Loss by Deck Type for the tourney
Rush: (47 Games) 28 Wins - 19 Losses (60% Win Rate)
Control/Late Game: (19 Games) 10 Wins - 19 Losses (34% Win Rate)
OTK/Slowpoke: (6 Games) 3 Wins - 3 Losses (50% Win Rate)

Recap/Analysis:

Its hard to avoid some of the glaring facts of this Tournament. Were the Necropolis nerfs significant? Well, a total record of 0-2 for the Necro faction seems to think so. I was happy to see some participation from Academy, even considering the Ammar ban was in place. The big surprise here was Stronghold, beating out all the other factions, winning 2 of every 3 games.

Additionally, it was very interesting to see the win rates of control decks vs Rush decks. 60% win rate vs 34% win rate. Additionally, the sheer volume of rush decks was amazing. It's slightly odd to see that Zardoc and Dhamiria combined for a 6-11 record given how much rush we saw.

Another thing to note, was that Avkall (the eventual winner) played rush in 16 of 17 games/matches, and Smurburn (who took 2nd) played rush in 11 of 15 games/matches. The two of them showed how successful rush is in the current competitive meta.

There were some comments regarding misplays on day 2, but people fail to realize the impact travel and multiple live games can have on a player. Some of the players had 11, even 18 hours worth of flights to get to the tournament. For how stressful the environment was (I can assure you that the Esports complex on the 2nd day was a madhouse) I would have to say that the players held it together really well. Live tournaments are a much different beast than playing online from the comfort of your home.

Personal Notes:
For those of you who did not know, I was Smurfburn's unofficial "Manager" for the tournament. I took 2nd place to him at the Kublacon qualifier back in May of this year, and we came to the agreement at that event that if either one of us didn't qualify, we would come together to Worlds, regardless of the situation. I was in the same position to help him in the North American Finals as well. In fact, for that tourney, I chose the decks he played and did all the necessary research to help him win.

This time, however, while my input was valuable, I have to give a lot of credit to Smurfburn for grinding it out. He played 4+ hours of all the top decks in the weeks leading to Worlds so he could better understand all the matchups. We charted the rock/paper/scissors in each matchup so when we could predict what the opponent was going to play, we could choose the correct deck to counter it.

Enough about the tourney. It was a blast, and it will go into the record books as one of the closest finishes of all time (an unfortunate week of the mercenaries miss (twice) was literally the difference between 1st and 2nd place).

I now leave you with some of the funny quotes from the week:

Matrix.disc: Do you know the only passive event that's not overpowered?
Simon: Which one?
Matrix: Week of Knowledge
Simon: But Week of Knowledge isn't passive.
Matrix.disc: Exactly.

Matrix: Why didn't you discard bridge?
Smurf: Because I had lost anyway
Matrix: No you had not
Smurf: Okay, well then its because I am a f---ing idiot.

Trupiciel: I can't hear the stream
Deatrick42: It's okay, I know what they are saying. Chase just said "I don't know why Avkall is playing Acamas. Nillicomes already played it, so its not cool anymore"

That's it for now. We'll have some more later.

Please stay tuned for a new stream Smurf and I will be starting up later this week. We have some funny things to talk about, plus we will have some special guests and of course, lots of codes to give out. You can find info on these at:

twitter.com @smurfburn
twitter.com @deatrick42
http://www.twitch.tv/smurfburn

Le.Rancord
11-04-2013, 08:57 AM
Matrix.disc: All the passive events are overpowered, except Week of Knowledge
Simon: But Week of Knowledge isnt passive.
Matrix.disc: Exactly.

I dunno how many countless times Ive been complaining about any single free passive. I dislike them all, and world championship showed us alot of manastorm/taxes and some rly annoying paths

bustio
11-04-2013, 01:43 PM
add me to the "OP passive events" train.

They are slowly but surely disgusting me from the game. (that and the 99% rush meta)
Changing week of tamed/wild spirit was an awesome decision, now please proceed to eradicate the other ones.

deatrick42
11-05-2013, 02:03 AM
And now, the pictures youve been waiting for:

The contestants (Most of them)
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii227/deatrick42/20131031_100045_zps9934f599.jpg
The froglion (brought to you by Matrix.disc and Jason Paradise
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii227/deatrick42/20131102_231632_zps7e995ae4.jpg
The champion and runner up, shaking hands after a 3-2 battle
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii227/deatrick42/20131101_181734_zps4cf68850.jpg

Pascoalabear
11-05-2013, 02:03 AM

CHOOOO CHOOO! im on the train aswell

To the actual report: Sandal should definitly be split up. The Sandy aggro winrate was great (66%) and if you exclude the mirror, Sandal had close to 70% against the field. The aggro trend is definitly true and Manastorm is a big part in that development, the printing of tons of quality sanctuary creatures and the critical mass of outmaneuvers is another factor. With the SOTS nerf, Sandal will lose some of its strenght, but Ishuma will have one less difficult matchup to worry about and lose nothing at all from that nerf...

The poor showing of control was also a result of poor play from the players using it i would say. If you misplay every game horribly with Dhamiria, you lose. If you do it with an aggro deck, you become world champion. While there's much less room for error with control decks, dhamiria wouldve still been a strong choice in many of these matchups and had the possibility to reward anyone who is capable of using it in the right matchup, building a fine-tuned list and playing it well.

The necro results on the other hand are really telling. The only person in the event to play a necro deck was Jayzilla.... Maybe the developer team will stop balancing for whining 1k elo players complaining about how good Adar-Malik is and start balancing this game for a high level of play, but right now i doubt it. Its not even so much the addition of gravehate, but through the lack of strong new cards necro is just quickly getting outclassed by factions who each got 3-4 high quality additions. Adar used to be able to destroy control decks, do well against Aggro and suck vs Combo. Now its still good vs controlling decks, especially Dhamiria, but gets completly crushed by all of the aggro decks. And playing Aggro Adar is not a real option, that deck is just a worse version of any of the real aggro decks and doesnt even do the strenghts of the old Adar deck well anymore...

All in all the event for me was super disappointing for many reasons.
1. Day 1 not being streamed
2. The poor quality of commentary during day 2 streams
3. The poor quality of play from many of the competitors. And believe me ive played 9-10 round live events before. Ive played Day2s of Magic grand prixs and know its tiring, but some of those plays are just straight up embarassing in the context of a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
4. The disgusting state of the metagame, both in a competitive sense and including the players who decided to troll instead of showing their best performance.

deatrick42
11-05-2013, 02:10 AM
Placeholder.

Waiting on permission to post the better stuff

deatrick42
11-05-2013, 02:42 AM
To the actual report: Sandal should definitly be split up. The Sandy aggro winrate was great (66%) and if you exclude the mirror, Sandal had close to 70% against the field.

Done

Enclase
11-05-2013, 03:34 AM

Let me join the train, plxplx

deatrick42
11-05-2013, 04:25 AM
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii227/deatrick42/choo_zps984327c6.jpg
Let me join the train, plxplx

coinmagic45
11-05-2013, 05:37 AM
It sounds like the tournament was a lot of fun, and it definitely shows the metagame is very diverse! Can we get some decklists? I am particularly interested in all the Acamas 4/0/3. Are they not 4/0/4 for the two unique fortunes?

deatrick42
11-05-2013, 05:51 AM
I am pretty sure all the acamas are the same deck.

All the decklists should be available from Enclase's videos on twitch or you can download the replays at http://bit.ly/16VWI1T

Though, I am not sure what makes you think the meta was diverse.

Daefon
11-05-2013, 11:26 AM
About the event, good to hear you had fun, thats ultimately what its all about.

About the numbers, Its not fair to make conclusions for specific heroes or even factions as the numbers are rather small. But it is clear that rush was dominating, both in terms of times played and results. Not really a surprise but that is the only conclusion you can really make.

As for the passive events, I really love your pic :D
- I don't think you can claim Blind Arbiters is OP as it only really saw play to counter Ammar.
- Week of Austerity is ok too IMO as you have sort of a way out of the effect by paying a life
- I consider Path of Ancestors to be ok too, and well balanced vs Day of Sanctuary - Either you get free protection for 1 turn or the option to to pay for protection whenever you can. I consider the fact that Day of Sanctuary is played in decks over Path of Ancestors to be a sign that they are quite balanced.
- The problem is really Mana Storm and Week of Taxes. Those have a major impact on the game without any real cost.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the final game in the finals was ultimately decided by luck. Smurfburn missed Week of Mercenaries 2 turns in a row. If he had hit with it in either turn the game probably wouldve gone his way.

Oh, and I agree with most of Pascals arguments

Pascoalabear
11-05-2013, 12:19 PM
THe problem with Path of the Ancestors is that its the only really symetric one. Mana Storm and Taxes you play without the according cardtype, Austerity you play as a creatureless combo deck or a super aggressive deck looking for additional damage, Blind Arbiters you play to hate on the OTK decks as a deck that doesnt rely on more than 3 spells BUT ancestors will always protect both sides.

The decks that are looking for protection effects are those with really strong, tanky lategame threats which are vulnerable to outmaneuver, dark magic etc.. Atm those decks are Zardoc and Dhamiria. THe problem for Dhamiria is that its earlygame relies heavily on Firebolts. Randomly giving your opponents Turn 1 or 2 DA shroud is just too much of a risk. So only zardoc with 0 targeted removal spells and tons of AOE can play it.

All of the other passive events are highly asymmetric through deckdesign, despite having a symmetric effect on the game.

defunkt99
11-06-2013, 08:41 AM
THe problem with Path of the Ancestors is that its the only really symetric one.

Theoretically yes.... like all other passiv evens theoretically work symetric. BUT as mana storm is only used in spellless decks ...Path of the Ancestors is only used by Zardoc (as you said) on which the effect has zero impact if its on an enemy creature (the Zardoc played @ r2p is an excellent example). Its just a variation of the story "One player got random disadvantges and the other not". In this case of cause with a less heavy impact.

coinmagic45
11-06-2013, 03:03 PM
I am pretty sure all the acamas are the same deck.

All the decklists should be available from Enclase's videos on twitch or you can download the replays at http://bit.ly/16VWI1T

Though, I am not sure what makes you think the meta was diverse.

From your report, you showed all factions were represented (although Necro only barely), 14 different archetypes/heroes, and a *decent* mix of rush versus control versus OTK. Granted, there is much more rush, but control and OTK were represented a little.

That sounds much more diverse than the meta has been in the past (for example, when 5-6 decks each Swiss were Nergal Aggro, before his nerf).

Ciolkmen
11-06-2013, 06:47 PM
Final matches looks like average game on 1300 elo, regular decks in average players hands to be honest. But it's developers fault, they took random players from expos and made online qualifier by normal matches. I regret that Matrix.disc didn't win, because he was the best and the most unlucky one :(

maly_drab
11-06-2013, 08:19 PM
appart from the train of passive events there is another problem worth to mention.

i dont like the randomness of event rototion too, its specially annoying with those meta rushes like crag when as a player only what u need to do is to deploy some creature stuff and then pray for 2x mana storms on turn 5-6 and usually that means, gg. In that circumstances the game is developing into something that is even less demanding in terms of "skill" than Heathstone, the game desined for younger (i would say younger- as Blizz always try to simplify games to the max) audience.

The first idea would be make the event be played 1 vs 1 . 1st turn , your event , second turn, enemy event. In that scenario this will be even better for our minds, because players would be able to add some another skill into game which is event awareness and now even if someone is counting the events, its still all about those crucial 2x passive into "gg its too late" mode.

Enclase
11-07-2013, 09:31 AM
appart from the train of passive events there is another problem worth to mention.

i dont like the randomness of event rototion too, its specially annoying with those meta rushes like crag when as a player only what u need to do is to deploy some creature stuff and then pray for 2x mana storms on turn 5-6 and usually that means, gg. In that circumstances the game is developing into something that is even less demanding in terms of "skill" than Heathstone, the game desined for younger (i would say younger- as Blizz always try to simplify games to the max) audience.

The first idea would be make the event be played 1 vs 1 . 1st turn , your event , second turn, enemy event. In that scenario this will be even better for our minds, because players would be able to add some another skill into game which is event awareness and now even if someone is counting the events, its still all about those crucial 2x passive into "gg its too late" mode.

+1

Was also saying already couple of times on my stream that i would prefer it to see every round exactly 1 event of you and 1 event of the opponent. Would take out a lot of RNG.

Greetz,
Enclase

Le.Rancord
11-07-2013, 01:01 PM
Especially annoying about path of the ancestor is, that it can rotate in randomly and totally change the game. Its effect is way to strong for a free bonus

ulpsz
11-07-2013, 03:14 PM
events should be RANDOMLEY generated by the game...not be in players decks...

and most should be passive...passive hailstorm would work out well in that set up..

Revelataen
11-08-2013, 06:50 PM
ulpsz, are you trolling or am I missing sth?
Mb decks should be generated randomly too?
Pls, don`t make this game RNG.

nefczi
11-11-2013, 12:45 PM
Can you see all the decks that were used in the final somewhere?

Enclase
11-11-2013, 09:48 PM
Can you see all the decks that were used in the final somewhere?

A lot of them :)

http://tools.mmdocking.com/replays?title=r2p -> Day 2
http://tools.mmdocking.com/replays?title=road2paris -> Day 1

S0YxSauCe
12-01-2013, 09:13 AM
world tournament?

looks more like weekly card shop tourny with trophy...

rofl... this is so normal in yugioh.. every week sure have tourney in card shop....

SoAmazinglyBad
12-01-2013, 01:39 PM
so play yugioh if u dont like it :> the work on doc is in progress so world championships wasnt the best but we hope it will improve later on.

VampFury
12-02-2013, 01:25 PM
world tournament?

looks more like weekly card shop tourny with trophy...

rofl... this is so normal in yugioh.. every week sure have tourney in card shop....

And how much is Yu-Gi in print? DoC is here a year, you have to consider that...