PDA

View Full Version : Whats a good rookie plane?

sixpack595
02-10-2004, 03:16 PM
I'll be heading over to a friends LAN party next weekend, so my practice time is limited. I'm looking to spend as much time practicing in 1 plane as possible. I realize there is no such thing as a best or perfect plane, but I'd like to eliminate wasting time in anything known as a widowmaker. I'll try those out later! So whats a nice forgiving dogfighter? I'm less worried about getting kills than not making a fool of myself crashing all night. My skills are pretty feeble, so spending the next week getting used 1 or 2 planes will be preferable to flying everything and not being familiar with anything. I really prefer German aircraft, but it sounds so far like the Soviet aircraft may be a bit more newbie friendly. Thanks for any help!

sixpack595
02-10-2004, 03:16 PM
I'll be heading over to a friends LAN party next weekend, so my practice time is limited. I'm looking to spend as much time practicing in 1 plane as possible. I realize there is no such thing as a best or perfect plane, but I'd like to eliminate wasting time in anything known as a widowmaker. I'll try those out later! So whats a nice forgiving dogfighter? I'm less worried about getting kills than not making a fool of myself crashing all night. My skills are pretty feeble, so spending the next week getting used 1 or 2 planes will be preferable to flying everything and not being familiar with anything. I really prefer German aircraft, but it sounds so far like the Soviet aircraft may be a bit more newbie friendly. Thanks for any help!

oFZo
02-10-2004, 03:18 PM
LA5FN I guess. LA7

-oFZo
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.bryant3/ETSigHolland.gif
Founding member and Offical Keeper of The Herbs of the Eurotrolls.

"I have given you all the seed bearing plants and herbs to use." - The Bible

BpGemini
02-10-2004, 03:22 PM
Ugh......

Best rookie plane = most difficult plane to fly

.....but since you want to be a pretender http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif try the La-7.

http://www.blitzpigs.com/forum/images/avatars/bp_geminiCombined.gif
IL-2 original P-39 vet soon to be P-63 vet.

buggggggged
02-10-2004, 03:22 PM
I'd say p 40 or zero. seem to be forgiving to me, zero really pulls out of a dive well.

Capt.LoneRanger
02-10-2004, 03:24 PM
Look at the free servers:

-FW190-D9 (good speed and firepower)
-La7 (3B20) (good speed, maneuverability and firepower)
-Zero (good firepower, extremely good maneuverability)
- Ki (good speed, maneuverability and firepower)

Seems all are flying those planes...

greets
Capt.LoneRanger

http://www.cptloneranger.privat.t-online.de/SIG2.jpg

Maple_Tiger
02-10-2004, 03:28 PM
Well,

The KI-84 is the best air plane in FB. Its fast, Manuvers and turns better then most aircraft. One of the best climbers and it even has an exellant zoom clomb.

La7 is another plane to try out. I think the KI-84 has better high speed manuverablity though.

Yak 3 i hear is another easy plane to fly.

BF109G2 may be a 1942 plane but it can climb nice, turns very well and can manuver at high speeds.

robban75
02-10-2004, 03:29 PM
Since you prefer German fighters, I'd suggest the Bf 109G-2, it can tangle with best.

http://members.chello.se/unni/Dora-9-3.JPG

When it comes to aircombat, I'd rather be lucky than good any day!

Willie__Wombat
02-10-2004, 03:37 PM
The P-40 is a friendly plane with a good set of guns. Try that one.

WtW

CAP401
02-10-2004, 03:46 PM
Try the P39Q10. I love that plane.

noshens
02-10-2004, 03:51 PM
If you are real rookie try Il2 or I153-impossible to stall.

SeaFireLIV
02-10-2004, 03:54 PM
Like Robban75 said, \bF109-G2, if you like Axis aircraft. I`m crap with Jerry planes, but do quite well in the G2.

SeaFireLIV...

http://img12.photobucket.com/albums/v31/SeaFireLIV/LAlowblue.jpg

Red_Storm
02-10-2004, 04:28 PM
If you want to build your skills in easy to fly (also called "dweeb" planes), try the P-51, Yak-3, Ki-84, Bf-109K-4 or La-7. If you want to build your skill by flying almost impossible-to-master aircraft, try the FW-190 family, P-47 family or the P-40.

dannnyjos
02-10-2004, 04:34 PM
The best noob plane all around = La7.
Good FirePower+Maneuverabilty+Speed+ForgivingStalls

Zeus-cat
02-10-2004, 07:54 PM
Il-2 series 1, 2 or 3 are great rookie planes if you don't plan on dogfighting. Big wings = stability. They carry lots of bombs, rockets and ammo. Good for attacking ground targets and slow flying cargo planes. Tough landing gear for those noob landings.

Stay away from the FW-190s, the P-47s and the Me-262. Very touchy. The 109 is touchy, but flyable by a noob. Easy on the controls though.

Zeus-cat

nearmiss
02-10-2004, 08:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
Like Robban75 said, \bF109-G2, if you like Axis aircraft. I`m crap with Jerry planes, but do quite well in the G2.

SeaFireLIV...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree the 109-G2 is the best, and other 109s are OK as well.

If you've got a Soviet Bent, fly LA-5.

The 190 is a favorite of many as well.

The IL2 is just a flying tank, and it'll sap your energy and frustrate the heck out of you. It is great for ground attacks, but aerial combatant...it's not.

I enjoy the early war models, because the late war model's weapon systems were so awesome they take away too much of the fun from aerial combat. I'd rather have to position and target more carefully with less firepower for the sport. When you smack someone with a MK108 or other wham-o cannon it's over instantly.

sixpack595
02-10-2004, 09:16 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions, can't wait to get home and try them out. I've allways loved the 109s! Thanks too for pointing out some of the tougher to fly planes they will see time after I embarass myself flying against my friends next week http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

CAP401
02-10-2004, 09:22 PM
I use the il2(when I have to) in dogfight situations and I do quite well. I ance got a total of I believe 8 kills on my career http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

ericson
02-11-2004, 02:45 AM
Hurricane IIc. Nice ground handling no complex combat flaps to worry you.Sure handling but will stall so is a good teacher. It has a short clip but if anything flys in front of you you will kill them.

LeadSpitter_
02-11-2004, 03:07 AM
the 109g2 and ki84 get the pink training wheels award. Both are turnfighters and bnz with very little stick pressure.

http://www.geocities.com/leadspittersig/LSIG.txt
VIEW MY PAINTSCHEMES HERE (http://www.il2skins.com/?planeidfilter=all&planefamilyfilter=all&screenshotfilter=allskins&countryidfilter=all&authoridfilter=%3ALeadspitter%3A&historicalidfilter=all&Submit=+++Apply+filters++&action=list&ts=1072257400)

Huxley_S
02-11-2004, 03:24 AM
LaGG-IT is a doddle to fly, take off, land, shoot and score! Have a go.

resev
02-11-2004, 04:18 AM
I realy hate people labeling planes, and i allways look at these caracters (unfortunatly most usualy LW boys) as sore loosers who would only be satisfied if the "enemy" flew the worst roman candle in the game just for them to poke a little fun with.
In fact, most would like you to fly a Mig, so they could have an easy target.

Here's how it is:

There is no such thing as a newbie aircraft.
What you have is aircrafts that are more forgiving than others, therefore, easier to fly.

A few pros and cons for forgiving aircrafts:

For starters, lets beguin with the most performant low to medium height aircrafts.

Yak3
This is a very forgiving aircraft.
It has a shallow learning curve, wich lets you master it in only a few short months.
The firepower is all concentrated on the nose, wich will give you a good kill ratio, because with little mastery, you'l just have to get the enemy on your sights, and open fire, as a hit is very likely to happen, nevetheless, you will still have to learn how to deflect shoot.
Don't push it too hard on a curve, because alltough this is a pure turn fighter, the phisical capability of the virtual pilot will bring you to a G-lock (blackout) very quickly.
You should keep your flying with this aircraft below 6000m, as above it will perform poorly, alltough on the eastern front you weren't supposed to fly it that high.

La7
When it comes to sheer engine and weapon power, this is among the best, but its also a dificult plane to master when compared to a Yak.
This has an enourmous pull, that can take you out of trouble as fast as you got into it.
The learning curve is a bit higher than on a Yak, because now you'l have to handle with a very high wing loading that can take its toll on the virtual pilot.
Even more important than on a Yak, this is also a pure turn fighter, but turns should be made very fast, but not very hard, as a G-lock takes longer to occur, but it also lasts much longer because of the high loading.
As in a Yak, all firepower is concentrated on the nose, however, deflect shooting works better in this case, because you only have one type of weapons, that on a straight line can be bothersome to aim accuratly for a long period of time (above one second of aiming is allready a long time).

Lets jump for the LW planes.

Bf109G2
Among the German aircrafts, this is the most forgiving of them all.
Unlike late war variants, you can actualy turn fight comfortably using this aircraft (and until you figure out what kind of tactics you want to use, i'l assure that its what you'l do most of the time, until you define your own style).
Alltough you can turn with this aircraft, don't expect it to behave like a Russian machine.
Instead of pure energy bleeding turns, you should stick at height gathering, energy retention turns, as this is the best thing this aircraft does.
Like its late war variants, this aircraft as a formidable lift factor, wich in practical terms, lets you gain height very quickly and very fast, and this is also your best weapon against Russian fighters, wich can't even beguin to touch the supremacy of the lift factor of this aircaft.
The main weapons are all located in the nose cowling, wich will be very forgiving to use until you learn the concept of weapon convergence.
You can also add more powerfull wing mounted weapons, but if you want to keep the fairly good turn capabilites, then you should avoid using these wing weapons, as they'l ruin the general stability of the aircraft, while at the same time, bring you to nasty unanounced stalls very easily.
G-locks are not much of a problem if you don't try to use this aircraft as if it was a Russian machine.
Once you get comfortable with this craft, you can beguin to aspire to fly late war variants, wich alltough are far more powerfull, they are also much more demanding, therefore avoid them until you get the feel for the G2.

Fw190A5
For the 190, even early war crafts are hard to master, but among all of the variants, this is the one that will be more forgiving to learn with.
This aircarft is all about energy retention.
The lift factor is much lower than on a 109, however, this makes this a much nimbler fighter than its brother.
No other aircraft in the game can roll like this one can, and that will be your most important weapon.
Turning is almost offlimits, unless you go very fast, and keep your energy very high.
You might ask, what good is it having a wicked fast roll, if i can use it to turn hard??
Well, maybe you can't turn sharply, but if you use a split-s, followed by a zoom climb, you will see that turning ins't everything, if an aircraft can't climb in the process!
As i said, its a very tecnical aircraft, but among all variants, it will be the most forgiving one, while keeping a good amount of engine power.
As for weaponry, this is a deadly beast, and nothing can come close to it.
However, using this aircraft will force you to learn very fast how to use the weapons convergence sistem, or fail miserably.
G-locks are deadly when you use this aircraft, so avoid entering into them like the dickens.
The worst shortcoming of this aircraft is the straight view forward.
Its very cumbersome, and it will take a long time to get used to it.

I could talk about other very forgiving aircrafts like the Zero or the Ki, but to learn how to fly, you first must learn how to walk, and using these aircrafts on the LW side, will leave you with a very bad impression and bad habits when you use the most important ones, the 109 and the 190.

Cheers.

http://mysite.freeserve.com/resev/images/2-picture2.gif?0.3524929147671928

Red_Storm
02-11-2004, 07:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by resev:
I realy hate people labeling planes, and i allways look at these caracters (unfortunatly most usualy LW boys) as sore loosers who would only be satisfied if the "enemy" flew the worst roman candle in the game just for them to poke a little fun with.
In fact, most would like you to fly a Mig, so they could have an easy target.

Here's how it is:

There is no such thing as a newbie aircraft.
What you have is aircrafts that are more forgiving than others, therefore, easier to fly.

A few pros and cons for forgiving aircrafts:

For starters, lets beguin with the most performant low to medium height aircrafts.

Yak3
This is a very forgiving aircraft.
It has a shallow learning curve, wich lets you master it in only a few short months.
The firepower is all concentrated on the nose, wich will give you a good kill ratio, because with little mastery, you'l just have to get the enemy on your sights, and open fire, as a hit is very likely to happen, nevetheless, you will still have to learn how to deflect shoot.
Don't push it too hard on a curve, because alltough this is a pure turn fighter, the phisical capability of the virtual pilot will bring you to a G-lock (blackout) very quickly.
You should keep your flying with this aircraft below 6000m, as above it will perform poorly, alltough on the eastern front you weren't supposed to fly it that high.

La7
When it comes to sheer engine and weapon power, this is among the best, but its also a dificult plane to master when compared to a Yak.
This has an enourmous pull, that can take you out of trouble as fast as you got into it.
The learning curve is a bit higher than on a Yak, because now you'l have to handle with a very high wing loading that can take its toll on the virtual pilot.
Even more important than on a Yak, this is also a pure turn fighter, but turns should be made very fast, but not very hard, as a G-lock takes longer to occur, but it also lasts much longer because of the high loading.
As in a Yak, all firepower is concentrated on the nose, however, deflect shooting works better in this case, because you only have one type of weapons, that on a straight line can be bothersome to aim accuratly for a long period of time (above one second of aiming is allready a long time).

Lets jump for the LW planes.

Bf109G2
Among the German aircrafts, this is the most forgiving of them all.
Unlike late war variants, you can actualy turn fight comfortably using this aircraft (and until you figure out what kind of tactics you want to use, i'l assure that its what you'l do most of the time, until you define your own style).
Alltough you can turn with this aircraft, don't expect it to behave like a Russian machine.
Instead of pure energy bleeding turns, you should stick at height gathering, energy retention turns, as this is the best thing this aircraft does.
Like its late war variants, this aircraft as a formidable lift factor, wich in practical terms, lets you gain height very quickly and very fast, and this is also your best weapon against Russian fighters, wich can't even beguin to touch the supremacy of the lift factor of this aircaft.
The main weapons are all located in the nose cowling, wich will be very forgiving to use until you learn the concept of weapon convergence.
You can also add more powerfull wing mounted weapons, but if you want to keep the fairly good turn capabilites, then you should avoid using these wing weapons, as they'l ruin the general stability of the aircraft, while at the same time, bring you to nasty unanounced stalls very easily.
G-locks are not much of a problem if you don't try to use this aircraft as if it was a Russian machine.
Once you get comfortable with this craft, you can beguin to aspire to fly late war variants, wich alltough are far more powerfull, they are also much more demanding, therefore avoid them until you get the feel for the G2.

Fw190A5
For the 190, even early war crafts are hard to master, but among all of the variants, this is the one that will be more forgiving to learn with.
This aircarft is all about energy retention.
The lift factor is much lower than on a 109, however, this makes this a much nimbler fighter than its brother.
No other aircraft in the game can roll like this one can, and that will be your most important weapon.
Turning is almost offlimits, unless you go very fast, and keep your energy very high.
You might ask, what good is it having a wicked fast roll, if i can use it to turn hard??
Well, maybe you can't turn sharply, but if you use a split-s, followed by a zoom climb, you will see that turning ins't everything, if an aircraft can't climb in the process!
As i said, its a very tecnical aircraft, but among all variants, it will be the most forgiving one, while keeping a good amount of engine power.
As for weaponry, this is a deadly beast, and nothing can come close to it.
However, using this aircraft will force you to learn very fast how to use the weapons convergence sistem, or fail miserably.
G-locks are deadly when you use this aircraft, so avoid entering into them like the dickens.
The worst shortcoming of this aircraft is the straight view forward.
Its very cumbersome, and it will take a long time to get used to it.

I could talk about other very forgiving aircrafts like the Zero or the Ki, but to learn how to fly, you first must learn how to walk, and using these aircrafts on the LW side, will leave you with a very bad impression and bad habits when you use the most important ones, the 109 and the 190.

Cheers.

http://mysite.freeserve.com/resev/images/2-picture2.gif?0.3524929147671928 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hear, hear! The best post so far!

Dmitri9mm
02-11-2004, 07:30 AM
If you learn to handle the gravity fed engine. I would say I-16, it's got allmost the same maneuverability as the I-115 but it's faster and with better firepower, I allways kicked *** online at low level.
Else just go with the good old la 7

flyingskid2
02-11-2004, 09:57 AM
I also like the I-16. Very maneuverable and feels like a sports car compared to B&Z planes which feel like U-haul trucks. Also looks cute. A lot of fun to defend against B&Zoomers, nevermind that I usually get killed anyway. And because it is an early-war plane with a low top speed, you won't get accused of being a noob on an uberplane.

FW190fan
02-11-2004, 11:09 AM
Being a good noob plane is not necessarily a bad thing. In real life, the FW190A was said to be a real good plane for "noobs" but it's not in FB.

The very best I would say is the Yak-3. It has very good performance, perhaps the best and most forgiving turn-rate(mild stalls), and it has very good forward view. Plus the light ammo load will train you to be a good shot.

On the LW side I would start with the 109F-2 or F-4.

http://people.aero.und.edu/~choma/lrg0645.jpg