PDA

View Full Version : newby simmer feature requests:

jinchoung
02-28-2004, 07:39 AM
(sorry, redundant posts from general discussion... it probably belongs here....)

howdy fellows,

i'm not really a flight simmer but got forgotten battles because it scored such high marks in pc gaming mags. anyhoo, it won me over like only the flagship example in a genre can do and now i eagerly look forward to future releases.

but a few requests for options that would help newbies out:

1. AUTO-TRIM: as a newby, i simply play without trimming out because it's simply too mundane and tedious for me to worry about. i would like a button that autotrims me. option to auto gear up and down everything would be nice too... took me forever to figure out how to raise the gear on one of the planes! thought my joypad was busted.

(yeah, i know the experience benefits from a true stick and throttle [or can imagine that would be the case] but i simply can't spare the realestate on my desk. it's work/play and i just can't plunk a big honkin stick here! though twist rudder sounds soooooo good....)

2. GRID OF DOTS IN THE AIR: because this is a game that takes place in the air, it is very very difficult to gauge HOW i'm moving! particularly when trying to rehearse or execute air combat maneuvers. in a real plane, you get visual cues because your NECK allows you a 360 view (well, at least whatever your cockpit affords) that includes the side views and perhaps sighting the ground. but in most cases, i CAN'T have one hand on my game pad and another on the mouse! and although i've assigned a 'lookaround' function to the DPAD, i simply can't access that much when i'm flying. sure, because of this game, i'd really love to get a HEADTRACKIR thing... that would probably make the experience amazing and very much like being in a real cockpit... but i think accommodations should be made for folks who aren't 'all pimped out' on the latest flight sim gear.

flying against enemy aircraft with my head 'pinned forward' is unbelievably difficult when they're doing hi yo yos and evidently some break dancing maneuvers and stuff to stay behind me! and it is really impossible to EXECUTE hi yoyos and such on enemies cuz i simply can't keep track of where they are relative to me and can't ever end up back behind them.

that's not something that my grid of dots will solve but it will at least show me if my hammerhead is going well or not. maybe i can even 'plot the course' against the dots for hiyoyos?

3. an amateur like setting that makes all the gauges show accurate numbers! sure, in a real aircraft, the speed may depend on how high you are and stuff but i just don't care about doing such calcs yet.

4. documentation on basic fighting tactics based on the aircraft... it took me a while of internet surfing to figure out why the p-51 lurches violently into a spin when i try to maneuver it! some of us non FSers aren't too hip that some planes are 'turn and burn' and others are 'zoom and boom'! some documentation or some links to helpful tactics sites would be a nice addition.

also, the same kind of info about basic aeronautic techniques would be cool too... like stalling a wing to do a snap roll, and basic principles like that.

i know i'm requesting those things that rank beginners would need but basically, it's a reflection of how i came into it.

jinchoung

posted 28-02-04 06:33
oh,

(and this is a reflection that i'm a right lazy bastard)

but i'd like an 'AUTOACTION' button that is included along with the game speed controls - slow, fast, superfast, etc.... this is a setting that takes you autopilot at the FASTEST SPEED POSSIBLE (and this should be twice as fast as the current fastest speed) and drop you out of lightspeed and disengage autopilot (automatically of course) as soon as your flight encounters bogies.

sorry, as a lay-simmer, i simply don't have time for NAVIGATION but would like to play all the missions.

i know... lazy bastard....

jin

jinchoung
02-28-2004, 07:39 AM
(sorry, redundant posts from general discussion... it probably belongs here....)

howdy fellows,

i'm not really a flight simmer but got forgotten battles because it scored such high marks in pc gaming mags. anyhoo, it won me over like only the flagship example in a genre can do and now i eagerly look forward to future releases.

but a few requests for options that would help newbies out:

1. AUTO-TRIM: as a newby, i simply play without trimming out because it's simply too mundane and tedious for me to worry about. i would like a button that autotrims me. option to auto gear up and down everything would be nice too... took me forever to figure out how to raise the gear on one of the planes! thought my joypad was busted.

(yeah, i know the experience benefits from a true stick and throttle [or can imagine that would be the case] but i simply can't spare the realestate on my desk. it's work/play and i just can't plunk a big honkin stick here! though twist rudder sounds soooooo good....)

2. GRID OF DOTS IN THE AIR: because this is a game that takes place in the air, it is very very difficult to gauge HOW i'm moving! particularly when trying to rehearse or execute air combat maneuvers. in a real plane, you get visual cues because your NECK allows you a 360 view (well, at least whatever your cockpit affords) that includes the side views and perhaps sighting the ground. but in most cases, i CAN'T have one hand on my game pad and another on the mouse! and although i've assigned a 'lookaround' function to the DPAD, i simply can't access that much when i'm flying. sure, because of this game, i'd really love to get a HEADTRACKIR thing... that would probably make the experience amazing and very much like being in a real cockpit... but i think accommodations should be made for folks who aren't 'all pimped out' on the latest flight sim gear.

flying against enemy aircraft with my head 'pinned forward' is unbelievably difficult when they're doing hi yo yos and evidently some break dancing maneuvers and stuff to stay behind me! and it is really impossible to EXECUTE hi yoyos and such on enemies cuz i simply can't keep track of where they are relative to me and can't ever end up back behind them.

that's not something that my grid of dots will solve but it will at least show me if my hammerhead is going well or not. maybe i can even 'plot the course' against the dots for hiyoyos?

3. an amateur like setting that makes all the gauges show accurate numbers! sure, in a real aircraft, the speed may depend on how high you are and stuff but i just don't care about doing such calcs yet.

4. documentation on basic fighting tactics based on the aircraft... it took me a while of internet surfing to figure out why the p-51 lurches violently into a spin when i try to maneuver it! some of us non FSers aren't too hip that some planes are 'turn and burn' and others are 'zoom and boom'! some documentation or some links to helpful tactics sites would be a nice addition.

also, the same kind of info about basic aeronautic techniques would be cool too... like stalling a wing to do a snap roll, and basic principles like that.

i know i'm requesting those things that rank beginners would need but basically, it's a reflection of how i came into it.

jinchoung

posted 28-02-04 06:33
oh,

(and this is a reflection that i'm a right lazy bastard)

but i'd like an 'AUTOACTION' button that is included along with the game speed controls - slow, fast, superfast, etc.... this is a setting that takes you autopilot at the FASTEST SPEED POSSIBLE (and this should be twice as fast as the current fastest speed) and drop you out of lightspeed and disengage autopilot (automatically of course) as soon as your flight encounters bogies.

sorry, as a lay-simmer, i simply don't have time for NAVIGATION but would like to play all the missions.

i know... lazy bastard....

jin

Recon_609IAP
02-28-2004, 08:05 AM
you posted twice now same message.

my other response is different - my response to this one is:

it's already got enough newbie features - let's head toward it being a sim and not a cheesy arcade game.

S!
609IAP_Recon

http://www.leeboats.com/609/sig/609_recon3.jpg
Agnus Dei, Qui Tollis peccata mundi, Miserere nobis. Dona nobis pacem
http://www.jarsofclay.com/

Jazz-Man
02-29-2004, 04:28 AM
Jinchoung,

Go to:

Options,
Force Cockpit OFF

You get all the instruments you need in true values, instead of indicated values, you get a small 3D plane which shows you your attitude to the ground, and you are compeltely unobstructed by cockpit bars...

You can go ahead an download Il2 Compare if you want to look at aircraft and compare their flight data.

Most people here, myself included, are not terribly keen on Oleg and his team spending more time to develop arcade features to this wondeful simulation, especially since you've got everything already at your fingertips in the difficulty menu. I don't mean this to be calous, but perhaps Secret Weapons over Normandy would be more your cup of tea than would Forgotten Battles.

S!
William "Jazz-Man" Katz
Squadron Batman
RAF No.74 Squadron
http://home.sou.edu/~katzw/images/signature.jpg

ZG77_Lignite
02-29-2004, 09:21 AM
All reasonable requests, and very well stated. However, I can't help but feel that your not really giving the game a chance, possibly you haven't flown very many missions yet? This is just a guess on my part, but I feel that as you fly more and become more familiar with the game you will find it much easier to deal with the problems you are having.

Like anything else, you will become more proficient with practice. And though you may not enjoy looking up climb rates or RPM settings on the internet to get the best out of an airplane (some people do, such as myself), you can still be effective using the tools the game gives you. If your not interested in learning about the real history behind this game by reading pilot accounts or performance reports, try turning down the dificulty settings, try flying against rookie opponents, try turning on wingtip smoke with external views, try watching the AI, there are many aides provided with the game for new users. You will learn many things, and you may even wish to begin dialing up the realism settings, and find yourself becoming interested in the history, and wishing to recreate the atmosphere and tensions of realistic aerial combat.

P.S. Pay no attention to Stiglr or the really ornery sorts that are bound to show up in this thread, they don't understand you anymore than you understand them.