PDA

View Full Version : Edward Kenway - the new Assassin: Spoilers Warning

luckyto
10-30-2013, 06:58 PM
Thought we should have a thread to discuss his character. I'm a big fan already. By the trailers, I really wasn't sure that I was going to like him; but he's turned into the right kind of scoundrel. He may even be my favorite.

One moment that stands out to me (I'm only in Seq 4) is shortly following that escape from the fleet in the Hurricane: the cut scene frames Edward sitting down, leaning back against the Helm, his head lowered, worn out. Exhausted but exhilarated at the same time. He just barely escaped death, he's soaked from head to foot, his whole crew recovering in the back ground, and he's just taking a breath of relief.

It's a powerful image. It's an image we've never seen of Assassin. Vulnerability. His guard is down. He's just thankful to be out in one piece. With me, it resonated in a very real and genuine way - Edward is someone I can relate to, as roguish as he is elsewhere. I also now see him as more human than superhero. Let's see how it all plays out -

RzaRecta357
10-30-2013, 07:51 PM
Yeah so far he's my fav under Altair but I just hope he officially becomes inducted. Haha, I'm sure my hopes will be shattered. I'm around he here you are and just too into the second screen experience and managing my fleet from it. Love it.

Megas_Doux
10-30-2013, 07:56 PM
I read somehere else that Edward and AC IV are not the most "assassinish" but sure the most fun to play, do you agree?

luckyto
10-30-2013, 08:06 PM
I don't know. I think the Assassin-Templar conflict is even more apparent in this story than ACIII. But Edward is definitely the least "Assassinish" of all of them, and in many ways, the game itself does pirate really really well. It's a fair statement, I guess.

Kaschra
10-30-2013, 08:13 PM
I really like that Edward is so different from the previous protagonists.

ACfan443
10-30-2013, 09:25 PM
I read somehere else that Edward and AC IV are not the most "assassinish" but sure the most fun to play, do you agree?

I'm at sequence 5 and so far I'm genuinely surprised by the strong presence the Assassin Brotherhood has in the game - dare I say, even more than AC1. The conflict between Assassins and Templars is also heavy focus of the story, it's just that Edward himself doesn't care about it. He's only concerned with his crew and plundering, which is kind of frustrating because even though he has the classic AC style outfit, his weak affiliation, lack of commitment and indifference to the brotherhood is making immersing myself as an assassin difficult. But as I've said I'm only at sequence 5, there's loads character and story progression I've yet to witness.

Spoilers ahead
story leading up to sequence 4/5 revolves around working against the assassins, some missions require you to mass murder them. Killing assassins was a weirdly uncomfortable experience, like I was killing a member of my own family :l

Assassin_M
10-30-2013, 09:48 PM
Edward is a petty, foolish, moronic scoundrel...unlikable bastard....Damn that's awesome. He's just an everyday guy...the moment that really clicked with me is when he smiled at Duncan after hearing his pistol flick and then said "i'm onto you sneaksby he just tries to be such a badass, but he's just so vulnerable...so human in a new way, like OP said. so far, I'm enjoying him and I can't wait to watch this scoundrel evolve into the mold of a wise Assassin...

Sigv4rd
10-30-2013, 10:08 PM
Edward is a petty, foolish, moronic scoundrel...unlikable bastard....Damn that's awesome. He's just an everyday guy...the moment that really clicked with me is when he smiled at Duncan after hearing his pistol flick and then said "i'm onto you sneaksby he just tries to be such a badass, but he's just so vulnerable...so human in a new way, like OP said. so far, I'm enjoying him and I can't wait to watch this scoundrel evolve into the mold of a wise Assassin...

How does he rank compared to the other Assassins?
Do you have a new favorite?

Assassin_M
10-30-2013, 10:11 PM
How does he rank compared to the other Assassins?
Do you have a new favorite?
I can't rank him yet, I have to experience his full story to be able to rank him properly, but if it's anything CLOSE to the level of progression that Altair had, then i'll be a happy panda, because right now...Edward is an unlikable ****head

Toa TAK
10-30-2013, 10:20 PM
I'm liking him a lot. Much more than I was expecting. He's no hero, he's just after the big score, and who isn't?

So far anyways, I'm on Sequence 8, but for now, he's good.

ACfan443
10-30-2013, 10:25 PM

I've just played a few more missions, and the growth of his maturity is starting to become evident, an assassin comrade of his who was about to fall into the trap of doing something brash and woefully unplanned was stopped by Edward and persuaded otherwise. It was actually pretty nice to see him do this considering these would have been his very actions early on in the game.

luckyto
10-30-2013, 10:29 PM
And he's also likable, even when he does stuff that's totally distasteful. He has a soft side, a human side, and it's like it's buried in there underneath all those years of pirating. The flashbacks serve that well, as does his occasional flicker of compassion. And he's funny, he's definitely funny. He is not pissed at the world, he's too in love with it. For all of being a moronic petty bastard, he still has qualities that are endearing. You know, you never see an Assassin completely dead exhausted or beat down by the world... I think I've seen Edward that way a few times, but he just laughs and gets back up again.

i agree with M, I'll have to wait and see the whole thing - but he is shaping up to be my favorite.

Sigv4rd
10-30-2013, 10:36 PM
I can't rank him yet, I have to experience his full story to be able to rank him properly, but if it's anything CLOSE to the level of progression that Altair had, then i'll be a happy panda, because right now...Edward is an unlikable ****head

One of my favorite moments so far has been:
When Edward casually throws the hidden blade away. It is sort of a metaphor of Edward's opinion of the Creed...

Farlander1991
10-30-2013, 10:38 PM
One of my favorite moments so far has been:
When Edward casually throws the hidden blade away. It is sort of a metaphor of Edward's opinion of the Creed...

Are you talking about the moment when he takes it from Duncan's body? The blade is bent beyond repair and it's unusable, so there's certainly a practicality to that :p

Assassin_M
10-30-2013, 10:58 PM
So I was chatting with Farlander about Edward's similarity to Connor and instead of doing it in his thread, I'll post what I think here since the title has spoiler in it, also the spoiler i'm about to post is pretty far into the story...even I am not there yet, it's part of some walkthroughs I watched, so those of you still early in the game, don't read the spoiler.

I think the first moment that I realized Edward's similarity to Connor was when he talked to Bonnet about Nassau and inviting him there. His ideal outlook on their little project of Democracy was pretty cool to watch. It's the same sense of idealism Connor had, but in another way...a more Pirate way. Edward put so much faith in men who plundered and stole. He even says that to Vane when they were marooned on the island together. his sense of idealism that SOME people can actually have true freedom was reminiscent to Connor's.

Now you, Farlander :P

Farlander1991
10-30-2013, 11:11 PM
So I was chatting with Farlander about Edward's similarity to Connor and instead of doing it in his thread, I'll post what I think here since the title has spoiler in it, also the spoiler i'm about to post is pretty far into the story...even I am not there yet, it's part of some walkthroughs I watched, so those of you still early in the game, don't read the spoiler.

I think the first moment that I realized Edward's similarity to Connor was when he talked to Bonnet about Nassau and inviting him there. His ideal outlook on their little project of Democracy was pretty cool to watch. It's the same sense of idealism Connor had, but in another way...a more Pirate way. Edward put so much faith in men who plundered and stole. He even says that to Vane when they were marooned on the island together. his sense of idealism that SOME people can actually have true freedom was reminiscent to Connor's.

Now you, Farlander :P

Yeah, Edward is an idealist. One character at a certain point says to Edward something like (not exact quote): "I've achieved what you tried to achieve in your whole life in only one-fifth of the time, and you know why? Because you're a good man, Edward. Goodness is your disease." He believes in fairness, and in the good of the people, and his more selfish motivations arise from those deep idealistic good qualities, because the world is unfair - kings rule the Earth and are fat and full with money while their subjects try hard to not have their window constantly broken by slight wind, and he doesn't like that. He just approaches the question the only way he knows.

And in one of the earlier talks with Hornigold and Thatch, when he says that as soon as he gets a lucky break he's retiring from all that, because he wants to go back to his wife. Which is also another similar trait he's got with Connor. The guy just can't catch a break. And he's very stubborn, because he keeps trying (like his son and grandson, really :p ). He bashes himself against the wall over and over again trying to make it fall but it doesn't.

Shahkulu101
10-30-2013, 11:17 PM
So I was just watching IGN's review and there was a clip showed Edward...

Trying to kill Benjamin Hornigold in a naval fight...god I'm so angry what ****ing Idiots!

Decided to write a spoiler here since this is the only spoilery thread. Not reading the tags of course.

Farlander1991
10-30-2013, 11:21 PM
So I was just watching IGN's review and there was a clip showed Edward...

Trying to kill Benjamin Hornigold in a naval fight...god I'm so angry what ****ing Idiots!

Decided to write a spoiler here since this is the only spoilery thread. Not reading the tags of course.

Well, it's really hard to properly define that as a spoiler or not. I mean, if you don't know anything about the person or history of that period, yes, I suppose it is. But you've got a game about pirates that takes place in 1715 and onwards, and a character who historically was a pirate turned pirate hunter, so it's not like it's 'oh darn, I didn't expect that', most people here were sure there would be a confrontation with him as soon as his presence was announced.

Shahkulu101
10-30-2013, 11:25 PM
Well, it's really hard to properly define that as a spoiler or not. I mean, if you don't know anything about the person or history of that period, yes, I suppose it is. But you've got a game about pirates that takes place in 1715 and onwards, and a character who historically was a pirate turned pirate hunter, so it's not like it's 'oh darn, I didn't expect that', most people here were sure there would be a confrontation with him as soon as his presence was announced.

Ahh...I suppose it's subjective then, although I didn't know he was a pirate hunter. I knew someone was though, so that's consolation I suppose.

scooper121s
10-30-2013, 11:27 PM
Im up to sequence seven!

Dear god this game is fun

[Don't read if you haven't gotten past sequence 5]
And I knew James was a woman !

Farlander1991
10-30-2013, 11:30 PM
Ahh...I suppose it's subjective then, although I didn't know he was a pirate hunter. I knew someone was though, so that's consolation I suppose.

Yeah, as I said, it's a really tricky question with no right answer. I suppose IGN should've showed a non-main mission fight, but, then again, there's a question in regarding to any work of fiction based on history - how much history (or what certain events) in previews/reviews are spoilers and which aren't? At what moment does history become a spoiler? I have no clue.

ACfan443
10-31-2013, 12:42 AM
Im up to sequence seven!

'he' definitely had the features of a woman, I just wasn't sure if he was one, those cutscenes screwed with my mind.

scooper121s
10-31-2013, 01:11 AM
'he' definitely had the features of a woman, I just wasn't sure if he was one, those cutscenes screwed with my mind.
I know right it was like FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUU

I-Like-Pie45
10-31-2013, 01:19 AM
is anyone sad that we will never be able to kill Reggie Birch in a game

after that post-credits scene

it would be doing humanity a benefit

Kaschra
10-31-2013, 01:20 AM
I know right it was like FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUU

I figured it out before I played the game. From trailers and screenshots alone :P

Assassin_M
10-31-2013, 02:12 AM
Yeah, Edward is an idealist. One character at a certain point says to Edward something like (not exact quote): "I've achieved what you tried to achieve in your whole life in only one-fifth of the time, and you know why? Because you're a good man, Edward. Goodness is your disease." He believes in fairness, and in the good of the people, and his more selfish motivations arise from those deep idealistic good qualities, because the world is unfair - kings rule the Earth and are fat and full with money while their subjects try hard to not have their window constantly broken by slight wind, and he doesn't like that. He just approaches the question the only way he knows.

And in one of the earlier talks with Hornigold and Thatch, when he says that as soon as he gets a lucky break he's retiring from all that, because he wants to go back to his wife. Which is also another similar trait he's got with Connor. The guy just can't catch a break. And he's very stubborn, because he keeps trying (like his son and grandson, really :p ). He bashes himself against the wall over and over again trying to make it fall but it doesn't.
YES!! his stubbornness was pretty inspiring at times. I lost count of how many times he kept getting beat down to the ground and he'd just keep getting back up again and again and again. His capture by the Templars, betrayal by Hornigold, Rackham and Roberts, being marooned on an Island, his imprisonment. I think the the goodness in him is also prominent in his faith in people. he was betrayed more times than I can remember and every single time he's just so believing in people's good nature, right before he was betrayed by Roberts he says "We'll be kings of the sea with this" and no matter how terrible the situation seems, he keeps telling himself that everything will turn out well in the end some way or another. I like how you put it.

Yeah, like I said...there's just always something. the thing about that wall is, it's not even a wood wall, yet he thinks he can bring it down by himself...remember the tale of the eagle and the jackdaw??

I-Like-Pie45
10-31-2013, 02:19 AM
so in the end

eddie is just as much as a hopeless idealist like connor

since haytham is the only kenway that isn't a hopeless idealist

templars are the real good guys of the series

find the light, assassin sheepies

Farlander1991
10-31-2013, 08:26 AM
Yeah, like I said...there's just always something. the thing about that wall is, it's not even a wood wall, yet he thinks he can bring it down by himself...remember the tale of the eagle and the jackdaw??

The tale about the Jackdaw was awesome. I remember Darby once said that there's a reason why the ship's named Jackdaw, and I was really curious what that reason was. Describes Edward really well.

so in the end

eddie is just as much as a hopeless idealist like connor

since haytham is the only kenway that isn't a hopeless idealist

templars are the real good guys of the series

find the light, assassin sheepies

I disagree. Haytham's approach may seem more cynical and pragmatic, but he's just as much a hopeless idealist as Edward and Connor were, it seems like a common trait in the Kenway family line. "We had a dream, Benjamin!"

souNdwAve89
10-31-2013, 08:47 AM
Im up to sequence seven!

Same. Some of the physical features gave easy hints along with the voice. I laughed when Edward didn't know she was an Assassin until later even though she had the traits (red sash and hidden blade).

Farlander1991
10-31-2013, 09:05 AM
Same. Some of the physical features gave easy hints along with the voice. I laughed when Edward didn't know she was an Assassin until later even though she had the traits (red sash and hidden blade).

It's not like he knew the Assassins' specific traits. Blackbeard also has a red sash, he's not an Assassin. And hidden blade was actually pretty well hidden :D , I personally didn't notice it until Sequence 4 when she started talking about Eagle Vision

ProdiGurl
10-31-2013, 01:29 PM
I can't read most of this thread bcuz of the spoilers, but 3% into the game, I LOVE EDWARD'S character! First off, he's HOT - that's exactly what I wanted. Nobody will beat out Ezio for me, but he's def. a close 2nd.

& as for not being a hero due to his [personal] motives, I guess he ends up not changing from the opening where he tells the girl he's with that all he wants is food that doesn't make him sick and basically shelter that keeps him protected from the outside. & I agree, who wouldn't want that. Not that the poster said anything other than stating what's obvious about his motive after playing that far into the game, but that won't change me liking him this much if he stays "shallow" that way. If they use him as a character again (which so far, I hope they do), they can always give him an added moral purpose by having something happen to people he loves/cares about which would force him into better motives.
I have alot yet to play, but so far, he's the perfect bad boy.

Legendz54
10-31-2013, 01:55 PM
Just finished the game.. wow...Where Edward clicked for me was actually right at the very end of the game, Edwards character was really fresh and he is a worthy protagonist of the AC series.. this is the most fun and open AC i have ever played. Cant wait to see what they come up with next.

possible Ending spoiler

I wish we got to see more of edward in his 30-40s until his death in 1735, at the end when he finally decides to start living a life of peace and i start liking him they end the game :(

bismp
10-31-2013, 02:15 PM
So is there room for possible edward sequels?or the ending is so decisive that ubisoft cannot make another edward game?

I-Like-Pie45
10-31-2013, 03:26 PM
So is there room for possible edward sequels?or the ending is so decisive that ubisoft cannot make another edward game?

Forsaken covered the rest of Edward's life pretty conclusively, so another game about him instead of a different established AC protagonist who still have actual room for sequels like Connor or Shao Jun would be pretty much a waste.