PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed Black Flag Collector's Edition

MrSkellington
10-30-2013, 11:18 AM
I expect this post to accomplish absolutely nothing.

It's my birthday today, and for the last few years I've been receiving the newest copy of AC in the best Collector's Edition available as my gift from my wife. This year my wife chose to buy me a different gift (Desmond's bag from ubiworkshop) because she thought a friend would get me AC IV Black Chest Edition.

My friend decided to buy something else instead, and I just found out; so I went online to get my own copy of the game. This version is now sold out.

This may sound like a fat cry from a guy with first world problems, but my intention is to pose a suggestion to Ubisoft (company I cannot contact via email because it doesn't seem to provide an option for customer feedback).

While I understand the idea behind a limited edition, I have to say I see it as an unnecessary resource for this kind of product. I gather anyone like me who is willing to pay a higher price for a fancier edition of the game ultimately will, limited or not.

To understand that I will never be able to purchase this gorgeous version of AC IV is just frustrating and unfair. To know that I was willing to pay the price for the Black Chest edition (having convinced my wife that I really really wanted it on my birthday) and see that I have to settle for less is disheartening.

To see that a lot of these games have been bought by scalpers who are now selling the game online for two or three times the original price enrages me. Ubisoft does not make any money from scalpers, but I see them to be the only ones responsible for this occurrence. If these special editions were widely available from the official source, no one would bother to try to make money from just jacking the price up because they can, and I trust every last one of them would be sold fairly and cleanly.

All this being said, I have to reiterate I see no point in what I just wrote. I do not get the feeling that Ubisoft needs or wants my advice.

Maybe next time the company will try to prioritize those fans like me who in small bits make the company as profitable as it seems instead of those vultures who make money effortlessly at the expense of hard working programmers and devoted fans.

Farlander1991
10-30-2013, 11:27 AM
While it is regrettable that a lot of Black Chest copies were bought solely for the purpose of being sold on eBay for a much bigger price, you have to keep in mind that making such editions costs a hefty sum of money, and, guess what, the audience for a Black Chest edition is not that big, so for a company there is no reason to make a huge print run of it.

Mr_Shade
10-30-2013, 11:41 AM
Hi there Mr Skellington,

Happy birthday and welcome to the forums!

The Black chest edition of the game, contains items other than the game, so production of those items, may have been a major factor in the number available to buy - if it was souly digital content, then Ubisoft would have a lot more available, but it did contain some real world items.

Unfortunately Ubisoft has no control over who buys them or for what purpose - if they set a restriction of one per customer, there would be some legitimate buyers unable to purchase.

its unlikely that any more stock will be made available - however some orders maybe canceled and stock reappear, so please do check from time to time, since it may happen.

MrSkellington
10-30-2013, 11:45 AM
And you might be right, and certainly one could say "shame on me for not pre-ordering".

I would also never claim to understand business better than those in charge of marketing at Ubisoft, but I can't shake the feeling that the company would benefit from making these versions a bit more available.

The idea of offering some versions in Europe and some different ones in America also puzzles me. I am lucky I live in Europe now where the best version was released, and I'd be pissed if I was still living in the US where Black Chest was never even available.

MrSkellington
10-30-2013, 11:54 AM
Thanks Mr.Shade

Rest assured I will be rabidly checking for restocking, but I have no hope of ever owning Black Chest; which saddens me more than needed.

I understand the thought behind a limited production, but I also understand there could be a more accurate calculation of how many units should be produced based on past numbers and future projections.

A waiting list would be a fantastic solution as well. I experienced the longest wait of my life for Desmond's hoodie back when I bought it. It took ubiworkshop 9 months to deliver this item, and I patiently waited for it. Maybe allowing fans to submit an order that would be fulfilled dependent on how many orders are placed would also be a reasonable solution.

Once again, this may all just be complaints from a bitter fan who got to the party too late. I just wish there was a solution that would see me enjoying the game I love most while adding all the tangible goodies to my AC shrine.

=)

Farlander1991
10-30-2013, 11:59 AM
I am lucky I live in Europe now where the best version was released, and I'd be pissed if I was still living in the US where Black Chest was never even available.

At least US gets a fairly impressive limited edition still. There are people (like me) who live in Europe and are willing to pay for an edition like Black Chest, but can't because it's not available to that particular part of Europe. >_<

One of the thing that has to be taken into account is the logistics, what's manufactured where, where it can be sent in batches and for how big a price, etc. etc., something that is hidden from our point of view as consumers.

MrSkellington
10-30-2013, 12:10 PM
I hear you Farlander.

I wouldn't expect Ubisoft to divulge any of this info to consumers of course, but a game selling out as soon as it comes out with no hope of a second round of units screams miscalculation to me.

In any case, I don't want this to seem like an insult to Ubisoft or a senseless rant from a random guy with a computer and too much free time; but I still feel this is unfair to many fans like me.

I guess I'd even be satisfied with a button on the purchase page that reads "alert me when this version becomes available". Google did that for the Nexus 4, and I waited. I dare imagine they didn't lose a lot of money by producing more units.

MintedMoose
10-31-2013, 09:55 AM
I'm one of the ones that did pre order the black chest edition. Sadly I'm sat here still waiting for order to be processed after they took a deposit and sent me the bonus content.