PDA

View Full Version : My mid game AC4 thoughts/Review (no spoilers) ask questions

Legendz54
10-30-2013, 06:43 AM
Hi all, those who have not got the game yet or are waiting for the ps4 version feel free to read this and ask any questions you like. I am currently on sequence 7 and this is my mini thoughts/ review.

Ok something i really want to make clear about this game is that it's side content is absolutely MASSIVE. I should probably be in sequence 9 now but still in sequence 7 because on my way to missions I get distracted by side content on land and sea. There is so much to do! Hunt on land and sea to create holsters and such, upgrade the jackdaw by raiding warehouses and boarding other ships, or do assassination missions, conquer forts, go through jungles for treasure, etc and much more. in this game I tell you you MUST upgrade your jackdaw to take on bigger ships or you WILL always get owned by larger ships. It creates a very fun challenge.

STORY

Surprisingly in AC4 the brotherhood is much more evident, with AC3 you felt it was only you, Achilles and some guys you hired to be assassins. But in AC4 the brotherhood feels like AC1 and you really do feel the war between the assassins and Templars in this game. I am loving Edward as character right now and can't wait to see how he ends up by the end of the game. I can't tell you how good the story is without spoiling but I can say it has a lot of mystery behind it and its awesome.

COMBAT.

I think the double swords are my new favourite duo, animations and sound effects when you slash someone is realistic and feels great. In this game I haven't used so much stealth since AC1, when in a mission or side mission or general combat sometimes I am forced to drop a smoke bomb and run since I am about to die, not to mention how many times I have already died by enemies. Strategy is wise in this game, I often find myself using sleep and berserk guards often so I can sneak past other guards. They have ramped up the guys with axes and increased the aggression in all soldiers, they wait less for you to kill someone before they strike.. this time they strike more, often catching you off guard, there are the fast archetype that can now tackle you if your try to evade.

CITIES

The 3 cities in this game are obviously smaller but this game feels the largest to me since it has islands, coves, jungles and a massive ocean. I have to say Havana is my favourite and nassau and kingston are special in their own way. Cities are fun to traverse and it is all very smooth mixed with tree and rooftop running with new cabinet/ door hiding spots. I barely feel that they are small since all the cities are packed with stuff to do.

In this game you have a very strong urge to upgrade everything from edward to the jackdaw and it feels very fulfilling like you NEED those upgrades.

Well that's it for now, I still need to finish the game, feel free to ask questions, and no spoilers in comments.

thanks.

LoyalACFan
10-30-2013, 06:46 AM
Yeah, I've been getting mixed messages about the story. Fans are mostly saying it's great, but official reviews have pretty consistently trashed on it. I guess I'll probably like it since I'm a fan, then, yes?

Legendz54
10-30-2013, 06:55 AM
The story and Edwards character doesn't feel re used it actually feels really fresh and not predictable i was surprised at the game for this feeling of "freshness" it was giving me, so yea I think you will like it.

Jayden26
10-30-2013, 07:54 AM
Why can't an AC be set in Australia?

ProdiGurl
10-30-2013, 01:46 PM
The story and Edwards character doesn't feel re used it actually feels really fresh and not predictable i was surprised at the game for this feeling of "freshness" it was giving me, so yea I think you will like it.

I'm only 3% into the game as of yesterday afternoon, but I totally agree with you - this feels really fresh & unpredictable.
I'm loving Edward as a character already so soon into the game. I'm loving it so far.

silvermercy
10-30-2013, 01:53 PM
Indeed, on other sites and blogs "fresh" is the word the fans use!! And they really like it so far. XD

(meh... who cares about official reviews! :D Not that they are bad reviews!

It's actually a good thing IMO anyway. When I hear way too much praise, in films for example, I end up getting bored out of my mind!!) lol
So better listen to the fans, not "reviewers"... ;)

dxsxhxcx
10-30-2013, 02:13 PM
Glad to hear the cities are smaller...

my question is:
Does treasure hunting gets more "complicated" as you advance in the game (with more and less obvious landmarks to identify before you find the treasure) or all of them are like the one shown in one of the promotional videos (just find the landmark to win)?

I-Like-Pie45
10-30-2013, 02:45 PM
have you found the connor easter eggs yet

ashraf said that aside from the outfit there would be some

I would enjoy Edward's character, but he is yet another British mongrel in lieu of a noble French revolutionary so that ruins his character for me.

pirate1802
10-30-2013, 04:22 PM
Are the sea shanties as awesome as they seemed? Have you tried sailing on a silent night with you crew singing along? :D

luckyto
10-30-2013, 04:49 PM
OP, agree with your assessment of the story.

They are too small. They went too far the other direction. Gorgeous, but too small. Despite what some have said, Havana is not even the size of Florence or the AC1 cities. The game compensates with all the other locations in a way; but I really feel they should be about 25% larger to be ideal.

Legendz54
10-30-2013, 05:00 PM

my question is:
Does treasure hunting gets more "complicated" as you advance in the game (with more and less obvious landmarks to identify before you find the treasure) or all of them are like the one shown in one of the promotional videos (just find the landmark to win)?

There are many ways to treasure hunt, but the one you are referring to i havent fully mastered yet, i landed on an island and a notification popped up saying that treasure was on this island and i have a map for it ( a map i found earlier) it was challenging trying to find the exact location as the map only shows a few landmarks but i got the hang of it, It does present challenge. It works exactly like in the 13 min Caribbean video with rewards such as money and plans for your ship.

Pirate1802
Yea sea shanties are awesome, pretty catchy to listen to, you can order your crew to sing and stop at any time, although havent had time to stop at night and listen to them sing since in the game i am constantly doing heaps of new things but i will try it soon.

YoungBeard
10-30-2013, 05:23 PM
Sounds great! Not sure if you said this already or not, but..... what console/version did you play this on. If it's current gen, does it run smoothly? I got it for ps3, but I'm not playing till I get work done first ;)

Wolfmeister1010
10-30-2013, 05:33 PM
Just in case you guys are wondering, AC4 got an amazing 89 (for current gen) on metacritic, (the only real review site/magazine a actually care about) just behind games like TLOU and GTA5. I know you guys really do not care about the reviews, but I thought it was very good news to share! As unlike gameinformer or ign, metacritic gives accurate scores based on the consensus of dozens of the site's critics.

who knows what the next gen versions will get?! :)

LoyalACFan
10-30-2013, 06:00 PM
Just in case you guys are wondering, AC4 got an amazing 89 (for current gen) on metacritic, (the only real review site/magazine a actually care about) just behind games like TLOU and GTA5. I know you guys really do not care about the reviews, but I thought it was very good news to share! As unlike gameinformer or ign, metacritic gives accurate scores based on the consensus of dozens of the site's critics.

who knows what the next gen versions will get?! :)

That's great, but Metacritic shouldn't be your be-all end-all though. Their review process of assigning a "metascore" to each individual review has garnered some controversy, since they essentially change the review scale of other publications to fit their system.

The best way to interpret reviews IMO is to find some reviewers who share your taste in games and disregard everyone else. Ultimately it comes down to your own personal preference, so a random reviewer's opinion is irrelevant.

luckyto
10-30-2013, 06:03 PM
I think 9/10 is a fair score from what I've played so far. It's a great AC game for sure.