PDA

View Full Version : Impressions from an old regular.. Spoiler free. Ask me stuff.

RzaRecta357
10-28-2013, 04:27 PM
Howdy! So I've been around since the Leonardo sketches of AC2 started popping up. Little background for people that don't know me. AC1 is by far my fav still. Loved two but there were some minor things I didn't like. Didn't matter as I loved it and brotherhood and even revelations enough to play like 6 times each.

Very story driven, I am. I'm also the dork that loved that they had the same face but understand why they changed it but then was upset about the lip scar. Good thing they only minority tweak the engine each time as all the Assassins use Altairs walk.

story wise though, Desmond didn't until he learned Ezios skills. Probably because they just gave him that animation skeleton but it still works bleeding effect story wise.

So, before I get started on AC4 I just wanted to mention that while I totally enjoyed AC3.. Conner just didn't do it for me. He was great but just not having been properly inducted rituals and all kind of bugged me. Then the modern storyline stuff. It made sense and all... But all the actual gameplay scenes were lackluster. I'm assuming Patrice had more of a goal set for that.

i only beat 3 once and I never read Edwards book. So because of this and not visiting the forums as much I feel strangely out of the loop with this one. It plays more or less the game in the 15 minutes I've had it on. But I didn't sit here with you guys this time learning all the characters and their real life backgrounds and stuff. I almost sad about it.

Anyway, on to the game...

I've just started and I loved the opening so far. Edward is kind of what I expected but not really. He still has the walk... They just shaved his shoulders down or something LOL.

So, I'm pleased with that. He also seems very cool so far.. I'll be back with some real impressions once I did in a bit. I'm hoping this is the one that restores the series in my eyes because it kind of fell flat for me with that last one. Was hoping for a new modern day protagonist. Hoping we still get cliffhanger twist and some how that happens or something.

Also, any gameplay questions you may have I'll try to do and get back to you instantly. For the most part it seems to feel like AC3. Being able to actually aim your canons is a nice touch.

Also, stealth seems quite the same in the beginning but I'm sure it'll open up. I was able to sneak through brush to choke a guy while his friend stood 5 feet away looking at us but not noticing because of the area I was in.

That mechanic could use a touch up by now :P

Mr_Shade
10-28-2013, 04:41 PM
Thanks for posting - lets keep it spoiler free, since the thread is open for all ;)

I'm sure someone will post 'what about the graphics - what format are you on!!' - so i'll get that one in :)

RzaRecta357
10-28-2013, 04:46 PM
Well I'm playing on my friends old xbox with rgb... So I'm not going to fully comment on graphics. They seem great so far but I'll be waiting for my pre order on PS3 to see it with HDMI. Looks great so far!

Nice to see you Shade! Glad you're still keeping us in check!

As a Desmond lover.. So far I'm actually enjoying the modern take. I just hope it really leads to something bigger.

I now have a question about Liberations. I've played it when it released and forgot a few things... So small spoilers for liberation under this sentence and then I'm back to spoiler free.

Liberation was marketed in the universe as an Abstergo product and they hid the truth. But did she really turn Templar? If you collect all the citizen E things you found out that was all lies, correct? Memory is a little hazed on that one.

Now for for a non spoiler question... PS3 and 4 versions of the game get an hour of Aveline content?

MIA SILENT
10-28-2013, 04:50 PM
Does anything about the combat stand out as being different to you? Meaning, anything added or removed that you're pleased or unhappy about? I'm mainly asking about combat when in high-profile against a group of enemies. Any subtle changes you could think of?

RzaRecta357
10-28-2013, 04:54 PM
I've just reached Havana.. So my first chance to get into a killing spree I'll let you know.

Mr_Shade
10-28-2013, 04:55 PM
Now for for a non spoiler question... PS3 and 4 versions of the game get an hour of Aveline content?
Yes ;)

RzaRecta357
10-28-2013, 05:09 PM
So I've only played AC3 once. Why? The way the map uncovered made my OCD make it extra long. Then I planned to get it cheap on PC and burn through again and never really got a steam deal I was looking for.

i don't remember if you had to hold left trigger to lock on while fighting in that game? You don't in this one. Fighting seems more or less the same but Edward is much more brutal.

I kept missing places to climb during a chase being all noobish because of this LOL. I used to be awesome at this. More shame I'm feeling for not paying attention to my fav series.

Edward...the dialogue...the blonde beard like mine. I'm barely in it and I think he may be my fav besides AC1 calm cool Altair with his speech.

Also, Havana itself is nicely laid out for free running on rooftops. Colonial America was just too spread out. This here feels right again. Feels Venice or Rome again.

You are even encouraged to huck a smoke bomb and then flee or murder like the AC2 days. The more I play the more I love. This game is refuelling the spark I think.

RzaRecta357
10-28-2013, 05:20 PM
Does anything about the combat stand out as being different to you? Meaning, anything added or removed that you're pleased or unhappy about? I'm mainly asking about combat when in high-profile against a group of enemies. Any subtle changes you could think of?

So I've run around stabbing guards quite a bit now. The fighting seems a bit the seem albeit a bit more brutal. It may just be my AC noobness in not having played one for a year.... But I cant figure out how to just stab a guard in his front rather than assassinate right off the hop. Like just swipe him with my sword. Edward just does nothing even when they're unsheathed.

I can't even stab civilians because of this :P

pirate1802
10-28-2013, 05:53 PM
Hey! I remember you from post-AC3 days. Welcome back. How are you finding AC4 to be? :D

RzaRecta357
10-28-2013, 06:00 PM
Loving it! They've made the hidden blade fast in combat again which rocks! Totally enjoying this one fully.

MIA SILENT
10-28-2013, 06:14 PM
Would you mind testing something for me? Could you try switching from swords to the hidden blade during a kill-streak and see if it interrupts it or not?

RzaRecta357
10-28-2013, 07:57 PM
Would you mind testing something for me? Could you try switching from swords to the hidden blade during a kill-streak and see if it interrupts it or not?

Sure thing. Just took a quick break to eat. First thing I do Hennessy I pop it in and I'll edit it into here unless some one posts under me. I think I've done it before though without a hitch. I thought we could do that with Ezio but now I'm having flashes of him just not changing weapons till you stop even if you did hit it.

pacmanate
10-28-2013, 08:05 PM
Sure thing. Just took a quick break to eat. First thing I do Hennessy I pop it in and I'll edit it into here unless some one posts under me. I think I've done it before though without a hitch. I thought we could do that with Ezio but now I'm having flashes of him just not changing weapons till you stop even if you did hit it.

Eatings for losers!

MIA SILENT
10-28-2013, 08:18 PM

Thanks. In previous games when you try switch to the hidden blade it breaks the kill-chain. In AC3 you could switch between using the guns and rope dart while still maintaining the kill-chain. I'm hoping they've built on that by allowing us to do this with primary weapons and not just tools.

RzaRecta357
10-28-2013, 09:31 PM
Alright I'm back and back at er. Probably all night. I'll test the chain kill thing as soon as I'm off this lonely little island. I quit mid mission to test it since this isn't my true playthrough till I get my HDMI and own copy tomorrow. The mission progress saved but not the optional objectives. So I need to air assassinate one animal and I'll be on my way to test that for us.

Gotta say though... Really loving this game. It feels like more of the same which is good and bad. But those games were always about story to me and I'm staying intrigued. It almost feels like a return to form to me even though there was nothing wrong with AC3 really. I just can't put my finger on it.

Dutchman141
10-28-2013, 10:40 PM
Alright I'm back and back at er. Probably all night. I'll test the chain kill thing as soon as I'm off this lonely little island. I quit mid mission to test it since this isn't my true playthrough till I get my HDMI and own copy tomorrow. The mission progress saved but not the optional objectives. So I need to air assassinate one animal and I'll be on my way to test that for us.

Gotta say though... Really loving this game. It feels like more of the same which is good and bad. But those games were always about story to me and I'm staying intrigued. It almost feels like a return to form to me even though there was nothing wrong with AC3 really. I just can't put my finger on it.

I have AC4 since saturday and I can tell you, you're gonna get drowned in all the stuff that you can do, man this game is so great !!!
AC3 or Conner for that matter never realy grew on me, Edward however.......

RzaRecta357
10-28-2013, 11:00 PM
I hear that. Sorry I haven't gotten you that answer on that chaining thing. I've been plundering ships and having too much fun doing it. Plus it's so frantic on a ship and I'm a bit rusty so I keep messing up. But it looks to me like the chain ends when you change weapons. The weapon swap happens fast though. I could be wrong though as I said I'm only been boarding smaller ships to kill like 5 crew members and it's a tight space to fight in.

TorQue1988
10-28-2013, 11:13 PM
Can you please check how many animals you can hunt / harpoon? From a video i've seen on youtube (of someone checking the map legend) it appears there are 20 species of animals. I've got to say that would be a huge improvement from AC3 which only had 10 animals, but a bit disappointing comparing it with Far Cry 3 which had around 30 animals if i'm not mistaking.
Also could you please check if there are any unique / rare / legendary animals in the game?

David2010549
10-29-2013, 12:05 AM
I posted these questions in another thread but got no answer, so I'll post them again here.

1. If you stealthily kill an enemy with another nearby but facing away, will the nearby enemy turn to see the dead one as soon as he ragdolls, as in AC3?
2. Do high profile (including air) assassinations still automatically alert all enemies within a certain range?
3. Are throwing knives still in, and if so how do they work?
4. Can you stealthily board an enemy ship, either before or after entering open combat with it?
5. How does transitioning between the sea and a large city work?
6. Can naval forts be taken without entering open combat? Also, are naval forts indeed tied to other missions and necessary to progress or are some or all of them optional?
7. Is the rope dart any different from AC3?
8. Can you swim freely on the sea?
9. Do additional enemies still spawn when an alert is triggered?
10. Is the air tackle still present?

I know that's a lot and not very organized, and I apologize, but I hope they can be answered.

RzaRecta357
10-29-2013, 12:50 AM
Can you please check how many animals you can hunt / harpoon? From a video i've seen on youtube (of someone checking the map legend) it appears there are 20 species of animals. I've got to say that would be a huge improvement from AC3 which only had 10 animals, but a bit disappointing comparing it with Far Cry 3 which had around 30 animals if i'm not mistaking.
Also could you please check if there are any unique / rare / legendary animals in the game?

It it only shows you the animals for the areas you've discovered. I've found iguanas, deer, ocelots, rabbits, crocodiles, bull sharks and hammerhead sharks so far.

edit... monkies :)

RzaRecta357
10-29-2013, 12:58 AM
I posted these questions in another thread but got no answer, so I'll post them again here.

1. If you stealthily kill an enemy with another nearby but facing away, will the nearby enemy turn to see the dead one as soon as he ragdolls, as in AC3?
2. Do high profile (including air) assassinations still automatically alert all enemies within a certain range?
3. Are throwing knives still in, and if so how do they work?
4. Can you stealthily board an enemy ship, either before or after entering open combat with it?
5. How does transitioning between the sea and a large city work?
6. Can naval forts be taken without entering open combat? Also, are naval forts indeed tied to other missions and necessary to progress or are some or all of them optional?
7. Is the rope dart any different from AC3?
8. Can you swim freely on the sea?
9. Do additional enemies still spawn when an alert is triggered?
10. Is the air tackle still present?

I know that's a lot and not very organized, and I apologize, but I hope they can be answered.

1. I'm not too sure but I did drag a guy into brush stabbing him with the hidden blade while his buddy stood 5 feet away staring at me. Didn't effect him.
2. Sorry I haven't really heated myself off like that yet. Once I get back to a big city I can test it with guard patrols or in an red zone though.
3. They are in... I haven't tossed it yet..I assume it's the basic animation that Altair had.. Or did they change it for Conner? If so I wouldn't doubt if they worked like that. I was thinking damn if only I had a throwing blade during a chase. Hoping I can use it like that.
4. I don't think so. You can't board until it's burning. At that point it's either destroy it for half it's stuff or board it and kill some crew for all of it.
5. Normally you just hold square/X to dock and they'll pull in. But when I went to a bigger city I think there was a loading screen. I've only been once and there was a cutscenes accompanied though so if I get back to it tonight I'll let you know here again. I'm going to try too. There's just a lot to do :P.
6. I'm not far enough yet.. But there are tons of red forts all over the Mao so I'm assuming you tackle at will.
7. I see it but can't acquire it yet. But knowing Ubisoft I seriously doubt they changed it. I mean, our protagonists have had the same skeletons and animations since Altair and they only added a bit to Conner and with Edward they change the way he holds his arms but you can easily tell it's still the same.
8. Pretty sure you can just jump in. I don't know about diving underwater... I think that's only in specific spots. Pretty much the same swimming mechanic since AC2 accept stealth swim is much faster and the water is so clear and nice you see Eddie go down.
9. I'm assuming they do but I haven't triggered one yet. I just did what may of been the best stealth this series has offered yet. I had to sneak into a place and it was my choice to take out the alarms or not. Did that and went around slowly murdering everyone for fun.
10. The tackling seems to be the same as Ezios original tackle the messager. I'm just assuming the air tackle is in because why take it out when you're still using some of the stuff from the first and second games? I'll give it a test though.

really really enjoying it so far.

Edit: I don't know if it was just good timing for me but to one of the above questioners I was able to continue my chain going from blades to my swords. Maybe the guy just died in one hit randomly though. Guess I'll have to play with it more.

Edit again.. Definitely loads going in and out of big cities, but there's like what... Two or three really big ones? That's really not that bad. The rest are seamless and they're quite big on their own.

David2010549
10-29-2013, 01:41 AM
Thanks a bunch. I'd really appreciate you testing the ones that are still uncertain.

Was the "brush" in the situation described in the answer for number 1 a hide spot or a stalking zone? It sounds like a stalking zone, and if that's the case it's different from AC3 where you'd un-blend when assassinating from one and be visible until it was over.

For the throwing knives I'm curious how powerful they are, and whether they can be aimed freely like the other projectiles in AC4. Thanks for confirming they're in.

For number 4, since you apparently can swim freely on the surface of the ocean, can you try swimming to another ship without entering conflict with it? That's the situation I'm most interested in.

Number 6 dealt with some things that might take a long time to clarify, so it's fine if you can't give a complete answer.

I agree with you about number 7, I'm just curious. The rope dart was my favorite tool in AC3 and I think they could do a lot more with it.

Number 8 is interesting because there's never been swimming in a body of water with turbulence before. What's swimming like in a heavy storm? Hard to imagine.

Number 9 sounds like you took on a plantation. Sounds good. I'm still curious about the original question though; enemies spawning out of thin air, sometimes in plain view, felt extremely unfair and led to those infamous situations where fights would go on and on with enemies continually spawning.

I also agree about what you said about number 10, but I'm really hoping you can test this one since it's so simple and yet has a big impact on the game. Ever wanted to just drop down from a high spot and ended up air tackling an enemy (sometimes from a ridiculous distance)? It's a serious problem with control scheme redundancy, and the ability itself is almost entirely useless. I'd be happy to see it simply eliminated, personally.

Thanks again.

RzaRecta357
10-29-2013, 02:03 AM
Thanks a bunch. I'd really appreciate you testing the ones that are still uncertain.

Was the "brush" in the situation described in the answer for number 1 a hide spot or a stalking zone? It sounds like a stalking zone, and if that's the case it's different from AC3 where you'd un-blend when assassinating from one and be visible until it was over.

For the throwing knives I'm curious how powerful they are, and whether they can be aimed freely like the other projectiles in AC4. Thanks for confirming they're in.

For number 4, since you apparently can swim freely on the surface of the ocean, can you try swimming to another ship without entering conflict with it? That's the situation I'm most interested in.

Number 6 dealt with some things that might take a long time to clarify, so it's fine if you can't give a complete answer.

I agree with you about number 7, I'm just curious. The rope dart was my favorite tool in AC3 and I think they could do a lot more with it.

Number 8 is interesting because there's never been swimming in a body of water with turbulence before. What's swimming like in a heavy storm? Hard to imagine.

Number 9 sounds like you took on a plantation. Sounds good. I'm still curious about the original question though; enemies spawning out of thin air, sometimes in plain view, felt extremely unfair and led to those infamous situations where fights would go on and on with enemies continually spawning.

I also agree about what you said about number 10, but I'm really hoping you can test this one since it's so simple and yet has a big impact on the game. Ever wanted to just drop down from a high spot and ended up air tackling an enemy (sometimes from a ridiculous distance)? It's a serious problem with control scheme redundancy, and the ability itself is almost entirely useless. I'd be happy to see it simply eliminated, personally.

Thanks again.

Yes it was so stalking zone and in a plantation.

Just to test it in the rain I hopped out and swam around. It worked. Then I seen a boat off in huge distance so I hopped back in attempting to reach and stealth board it if possible for you. The rain got heavier and it told me you cannot release during high winds or storms. So that answers that for us haha.

Going to fast travel to Havana and attempt to air tackle. Then come back out. I'll check the throwing knives also. I can't seem to attack before assassinating or getting chased. I can shoot but can't just walk up and slash em anymore. So you can't hurt civilians that way. Maybe you can't accidentally tackle at all anymore unless the game knows you're chasing? Guess we'll find out. I've been holding B to drop down fast while running and it's been smooth. That's not to say I haven't been snagged on some corners and what not again. Noobish to the game as I only played 3 once.

As for the continuous spawning enemies.. Didn't that only happen like on the docks and certain areas in AC3? I don't recall too good. But so far it hasn't happened while roaming around. I haven't done a fort and haven't been caught in a plantation though

Edit: So I don't see a way to lock on or free aim at all. For some reason I thought you could hold L1 in Ac3 to do that. Anyway, because of this throwing knives seem to work AC1 style. That is looking at a guy till he highlights and hitting triangle to toss it. Normal guard went down with the one I had.

I tried standing above them on a roof and holding high profile. Had no option to air tackle at all. Just drop.

David2010549
10-29-2013, 03:43 AM
That detail about stalking zones is worrying. I wonder if they've really made assassinations from them invisible, that doesn't seem to make sense. Visibility in stalking zones is supposedly changing with the new lantern bearers though, so maybe they've rebalanced it entirely.

Not able to swim in stormy seas, huh? I wonder whether that means as long as you're swimming the weather can't get stormy. I'm glad to finally have that clarified. Keep trying to board another ship from sea if you can, please! Also, please try swimming long distances to see whether there's any limit on how far you can swim. I'm imagining either a hard distance limit from the Jackdaw, or maybe a shark attack a la Grand Theft Auto, or both, as limiters.

Yeah, continuous spawning was only a problem in some parts of AC3, but enemies spawning in player-determined positions rather than normal ones during an alert is not an ideal solution regardless. Glad to hear it hasn't been a problem. This is not entirely related, but if you encounter any situations where an alert is triggered for seemingly no reason, please describe them. People experienced this quite a bit in AC3, especially in certain places in New York, and I'm hoping they've found a better solution for this game.

No way to free aim? Is this specifically with the throwing knives? That's pretty shocking. Since AC3 had free aiming with soft lock-on for all of its tools, I'd presume it would be at least the same here, if not taking the further step of removing the soft lock-on like the pistols.

I'm really surprised about the apparent removal of the air tackle too! That's... fantastic!

Thanks once again, you're giving me better answers already than any professional media I've seen of the game.

RzaRecta357
10-29-2013, 03:56 AM
That detail about stalking zones is worrying. I wonder if they've really made assassinations from them invisible, that doesn't seem to make sense. Visibility in stalking zones is supposedly changing with the new lantern bearers though, so maybe they've rebalanced it entirely.

Not able to swim in stormy seas, huh? I wonder whether that means as long as you're swimming the weather can't get stormy. I'm glad to finally have that clarified. Keep trying to board another ship from sea if you can, please! Also, please try swimming long distances to see whether there's any limit on how far you can swim. I'm imagining either a hard distance limit from the Jackdaw, or maybe a shark attack a la Grand Theft Auto, or both, as limiters.

Yeah, continuous spawning was only a problem in some parts of AC3, but enemies spawning in player-determined positions rather than normal ones during an alert is not an ideal solution regardless. Glad to hear it hasn't been a problem. This is not entirely related, but if you encounter any situations where an alert is triggered for seemingly no reason, please describe them. People experienced this quite a bit in AC3, especially in certain places in New York, and I'm hoping they've found a better solution for this game.

No way to free aim? Is this specifically with the throwing knives? That's pretty shocking. Since AC3 had free aiming with soft lock-on for all of its tools, I'd presume it would be at least the same here, if not taking the further step of removing the soft lock-on like the pistols.

I'm really surprised about the apparent removal of the air tackle too! That's... fantastic!

Thanks once again, you're giving me better answers already than any professional media I've seen of the game.

I took a little break but yeah I can't seem to free aim with anything BUT the pistol. Also, the torch guys walk into the brush but you can just walk up and stab them regularly. It might flash red for a second but you don't get caught. If you look at one of my first posts I mention this mechanic could use some updating...

I whistled at a guy to come into the bushes... Killed him while another guy was no more than 8 feet away looking right at us in daylight. Going to hop back on now and try swimming to another boat and beyond. I'll report back.

Edit: I was able to tackle a messager below me so air tackle is in apparently. I also was able to swim at least three football fields away from the jackdaw before getting bored and not finding anymore boats. I tried to swim to a few but they always curve away and take off so I don't if it's possible. I'm gonna try a few more times since I'll just be messing around until tomorrow when I get my actual ps3 copy rather than my nephews old xbox. Non HDMI is so ugly :P.

David2010549
10-30-2013, 01:52 AM
Are you sure about not being able to free aim anything but pistols? I can hardly believe that. The details on stalking zones seem disappointing. I had the suspicion that the air tackle wasn't really gone, but I'd be happy if it was less of a problem. Thanks again for writing this stuff out, and sorry for taking a while to reply.

Secu12
10-30-2013, 07:51 AM
Hello!

1 How's the interface when you activate it? Is as black and shady as in AC:R and AC3 or you can distinguish hiding sports, enemies, buldings (like in AC, AC2 and AC:B)?
2. Movement and combat: are the same like in previous game or we witness the come-back of the classic button assigment: leg, hand, head and empty hand?

Krayus Korianis
10-30-2013, 08:03 AM
I am truly excited for this game, because... It's PIRATES! >.> I love Pirates. lol. But damn, those Modern Day sections. Dang you Ubisoft.

Also, Turian_Knight, stop harassing me. I'm done with responding to you in this thread. You're following and harassing, shows your age. As well as clogging up this person's thread.

Turian_Knight
10-30-2013, 08:10 AM
I am truly excited for this game, because... It's PIRATES! >.> I love Pirates. lol.

You mean you don't have it yet?