PDA

View Full Version : Language settings - Localization

Motyuka
10-28-2013, 11:16 AM
Hey guys,

I have one big question that will affect my purchase of the game, so I'm hoping someone will be able to answer it.

So a few months ago, the publisher that is responsible for Ubi games in my country announced that AC4 would come with localized subtitles. Now, this truly is a nice gesture, and is appreciated by most of my fellow gamers -most of whom do not really speak English-, and don't get me wrong, it is cool that they are trying to get their game to a wider audience and all, but please, answer me this: Will I be able to play AC4 with the original English subtitles, menus, descriptions etc, or not?

Last year when I bought AC3, I had thought I would at least be able to choose which language I wanted to play in, but little did I know, everything apart from the subtitles was set default to Hungarian, and the only other option I had, for some odd reason, was Czech. Coming to this realization really saddened me because I had hoped I would be able to experience the game much like I did with all the previous installments. But alas, I decided to suck it up, and at least play through it, cause after all, I payed for it and I was really excited about it. I have played every single AC before AC3 at least 3-4 times, if not more, but I just couldn't do it with AC3. Don't mind the bugs, or the -imho- somewhat inconsistent storyline, but everything was just so terribly translated and with no respect to the AC lore, that by the end of the game I got so fed up I immediately deleted it from my computer and hid the actual physical copy somewhere remotely safe from my fury. Yeah, okay, that might be an exaggeration.

On day one, I asked the publisher whether this was a mistake on their part or was it like this everywhere else, but they did not reply. Shortly after that I contacted Ubi support; they, at first, gave me half an answer, then did not even acknowledge me when I asked more about the matter.
In July, when AC4 was announced to be burdened with similar setbacks, I once again contacted Ubi support because -surprise!-, my publisher left me without a reply again, and Ubi support told me that they 'do not have any updates on the none released game'.

So to sum it up: I have never in my life wanted to play a game this bad, but I'm also not willing to once again expose myself to something as awful as last year's 'enhanced' version of AC3.
Does anyone have any info about this? I do really appreciate anything you have, just let me know!

Regards,
-Matt

roostersrule2
10-28-2013, 11:18 AM
You should be able to change the language to any one they did dialogue for, maybe not though to save disc space but English is usually always an option.

EVA Spartan 317
10-28-2013, 12:19 PM
I'm from Hungary too and the subtitles were a mess. I had to watch a walkthrough in english on Youtube to understand the dialogues! I hope this wont be a problem I hate playing games in hungarian!

Moon_Selena
10-28-2013, 12:33 PM
You should be able to change the language to any one they did dialogue for, maybe not though to save disc space but English is usually always an option.

Not always, unfortunately. For PC maybe, but not for consoles. Russian localization is usually the worst thing that can happen to a game (well, ok, Hungarian sounds even worse), but at the same time we don't always have an option to choose the original language -- Assassins Creed 1&2, Splinter Cell Blacklist - no English at all (no audio, no text), for AC Brotherhood & AC3 - no text, but at least audio is there... and yeah, we've got Czech language for some reason too O_o Ubi support is no help at all, never got any useful information there...

It would be really nice if someone here could shed some light on this issue. I'm still not sure, if I should buy this game here in Russia or import it from Europe.

Motyuka
10-28-2013, 01:43 PM
So, I contacted the support once again and they replied with this:

"For the PC version of the game, your retail copy may not include English language settings however, registering the code on Uplay will allow you to download the game from Uplay which will contain English language settings that will be available to select on installing the game."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but technically what they're saying, is that if I buy the physical copy, and then register the code I get with it, I will have to download the game digitally in order to play it in English, right? Kinda feels like a hassle, but if it works then I'm down.

DSafrin
10-28-2013, 01:58 PM

"For the PC version of the game, your retail copy may not include English language settings however, registering the code on Uplay will allow you to download the game from Uplay which will contain English language settings that will be available to select on installing the game."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but technically what they're saying, is that if I buy the physical copy, and then register the code I get with it, I will have to download the game digitally in order to play it in English, right? Kinda feels like a hassle, but if it works then I'm down.

Wow, that's... strange.
I wonder how will it be for console version? I remember in AC3 I had no English as well - just Polish (my native language), Hungarian, Czech... and Russian? (not sure though, it definietely had Russian in AC:R... now I will have to check it, lol)
Polish subtitles weren't that bad (just a few typos), so I won't mind it that much... but I'd love to have a choice between Polish and English.

Mr_Shade
10-28-2013, 02:03 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but technically what they're saying, is that if I buy the physical copy, and then register the code I get with it, I will have to download the game digitally in order to play it in English, right? Kinda feels like a hassle, but if it works then I'm down.Hi,

If that's what your regions support advise for the PV version, that maybe the only way.

You should contact them if you have any concerns.

Same for any other format - due to content in regions being different, it's best to check with your local support before buying.

www.support.ubi.com

Motyuka
10-28-2013, 02:04 PM
It does feel kinda strange how they didn't mention a fix for console...

I'm checking this theory with AC3 right now though, I'll be able to tell if it worked or not in a few hours

Mr_Shade
10-28-2013, 02:10 PM
It does feel kinda strange how they didn't mention a fix for console...

Consoles maybe different - Uplay is able to download games on PC - providing you have a valid product code for the game. - on console it is not.

If you have concerns over your version of the game on console, you need to contact Ubisoft Support for your region.

Moon_Selena
10-28-2013, 02:26 PM
Consoles maybe different - Uplay is able to download games on PC - providing you have a valid product code for the game. - on console it is not.

If you have concerns over your version of the game on console, you need to contact Ubisoft Support for your region.

And what should I do if my region's (Russia) Ubi support ignores me? I asked them about a PS3 version of the game several times, but for some weird reason their answer contained some really vague info about a PC (!!!) version and after that they never replied again O_o

Mr_Shade
10-28-2013, 02:28 PM
And what should I do if my region's (Russia) Ubi support ignores me? I asked them about a PS3 version of the game several times, but for some weird reason their answer contained some really vague info about a PC (!!!) version and after that they never replied again O_o
If you have replied to them and asked them to clarify on the PS3 version and you have not heard back from them after 48 hours: You can pass your ticket number to me, and I'll get someone to contact you.

Please PM me the number.

Motyuka
10-28-2013, 05:56 PM
So, I downloaded AC3 digitally. Upon installation, the only two options were, once again, Hungarian and Czech.
This got me a bit skeptical, so I contacted my local support, as suggested by Mr_Shade, and now I'm still awaiting their response.
Hopefully this time, they'll acknowledge my existence...

DSafrin
10-29-2013, 01:33 PM
Ok, I don't want to start a new thread when this exist.

So I got my copy of the game, and... it has English, but no Polish language.

Here is from the support:
"Although the leaflet included with your Black Chest edition of Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag is in English, we can assure you that the game contains and will play in the languages below:

English
French
Italian
German
Spanish
Polish
Finnish
Swedish
Danish
Norwegian
Dutch
Portuguese

Please note that the above list does not apply to copies of the game purchased in the UK or wider Europe."

The thing is, I ordered from ubi store - and it was black chest - so ubi store was the only place it could have been ordered. Yet, it does not have Polish. I am able to play it in English, but it would be nice to have an option to play it in my onw language as well.

TopanStarwalker
10-29-2013, 03:25 PM
So I bought the Czech/Polish/Magyar/Russian version. And here it is again, no English. WTF Ubisoft? Seriously? I mean cmon, how much space on the BluRay would the english texts take? The game is developed in english so why cant we play it that way?

Motyuka
10-29-2013, 04:30 PM
So I bought the Czech/Polish/Magyar/Russian version. And here it is again, no English. WTF Ubisoft? Seriously? I mean cmon, how much space on the BluRay would the english texts take? The game is developed in english so why cant we play it that way?

Did you buy it from your local retailer? You should probably contact them, see if they have anything to say about it..
And when they don't reply, you should probably contact Ubi support too... But this sucks, man :/

EDIT/UPDATE: So, local support finally replied to me, all I got is that they are not allowed to tell me whether the physical version will contain English settings or not, but they did tell me that if the disk does not contain them, neither will the digital copy. I guess I'm not buying the game here then.

Moon_Selena
10-29-2013, 05:00 PM

Well, at least there is English audio, that's a good thing -- Ubi support told me yesterday that there isn't even that. Yeah, right, seems like they are very well informed... why did I even bother to ask? And I bothered Mr_Shade for nothing. Support clearly knows nothing about the product developed by the company they work for (and here I thought they were supposed to answer customer's questions about said products). Guys from the store had to convince me over the phone that there actually is English audio in the game so I wouldn't cancel my pre-paid pre-order.

Seriously though -- why do they have to rob us of English language option? I'd like to know that too, 'cause maybe there is some reasonable explanation to that or maybe they simply think that we don't need it...