PDA

View Full Version : My first impressions... 10 Likes/Dislikes

MrNightmareTM
10-25-2013, 06:45 PM
So I've been playing my PS3 copy of the game. It appears that so far I have completely enjoyed the experience.

Things I like:

1. The guards no longer ruin the stealth experience like they did in AC III.
2. Amazing implementation of Pirate Ship systems, I really enjoy pirate missions. I absolutely hated them in AC III and stayed away as much as possible!
3. The missions appear to be more fun and less repetitive due to new weapons and stealth tactics to do, there are also a range routes to take in some cases.
4. The game offers a lot of content, there appears to be LOTS to do besides the story, absolutely loved the puzzles encountered so far!
5. Free-running has been improved slightly.
6. Less QTEs, Less cutscenes make it feel less scripted.
7. There is a lot of mystery to the plot and it's intriguing throughout!
8. The voice acting is improved.
9. The menu design is sleek consistent and more professional.
10. The game seems to feel more open world, the ocean areas are HUGE, I actually feel like a pirate when i play this... Aye!

Things I Dislike:

1. Awful frame rate in some areas of the game. Makes the controls unresponsive, and almost impossible to play as it's hard to focus in during combat etc.
2. The game freezes sometimes I have encountered several complete system crashes and It has resulted in loss of progress. I do recommend keeping a save game backup on cloud etc if possible.
3. Getting stuck on objects whilst free-running.
4. The texture quality is significantly lower than other games and the overall graphics don't look as good as AC III but it's understandable due to new technology etc.
5. There are sound bugs.
6. The combat is pretty poor, well all you do is just press the same buttons over and over again. It's not that challenging.
7. Some of the help pop-ups disappear before you can even read them!
8. The Ship controls are really taking time for me to get used to. I just cannot multi-task!
9. Air assassinations are still glitchy like in AC III.
10. Health regeneration is a no for me.

But overall I'm LOVING this game. It's less boring than what I found AC III to be. It's just the major frame rate issues and crashing which is diluting my experience but there's still time for it to be fixed....Maybe....

Cheers.

pacmanate
10-25-2013, 06:52 PM
Things I Dislike:

1. Awful frame rate in some areas of the game. Makes the controls unresponsive, and almost impossible to play as it's hard to focus in during combat etc.
4. The texture quality is significantly lower than other games and the overall graphics don't look as good as AC III but it's understandable due to new technology etc.
Cheers.

Thanks for no spoilers!

Can you please elaborate on these 2 points.

What areas are framerates terrible and how are the textures worse? From what I have seen on youtube they look on par with AC3?

Flutterwhat
10-25-2013, 06:54 PM
this is the second time i've heard of more performance issues with the PS3 version. seems the xbox version might actually fare better...most Youtube vids i've seen actually seem to be from the 360 version.

ZAMBIA449
10-25-2013, 06:55 PM
thank you for your opioions, could you tell me if you can sail other ships such as the man of war and regarding question 10 you liked, its great to hear that the world ocean is big, could you tell if the world map in bigger than that of GTA V ?

Thank you.

bolz87
10-25-2013, 07:03 PM
2. The game freezes sometimes I have encountered several complete system crashes and It has resulted in loss of progress. I do recommend keeping a save game backup on cloud etc if possible.
3. Getting stuck on objects whilst free-running.
5. There are sound bugs.

But overall I'm LOVING this game. It's less boring than what I found AC III to be. It's just the major frame rate issues and crashing which is diluting my experience but there's still time for it to be fixed....Maybe....

Cheers.
Ohhh and here we go, problems, glitches and bugs like AC3 as expected

Rugterwyper32
10-25-2013, 07:09 PM
I'm really starting to think that the PS3 version might be the one with most issues. I hear most performance issues coming from it, and there's the fact it's probably the one version that works in a completely different system from the rest. Reminds me of how it was mentioned many times back a few years ago how the PS3 was more difficult to program for than the Xbox360, so that could play into this. I think those issues will be less on Xbox360, even less WiiU and almost not-noticeable (if not entirely) for PC, PS4 and XBone.
Also, really nice to know the UI has been improved as much. One of the biggest issues of AC3 overall, IMO, was that it had a HORRENDOUS UI.

MrNightmareTM
10-25-2013, 07:11 PM
Thanks for no spoilers!

Can you please elaborate on these 2 points.

What areas are framerates terrible and how are the textures worse? From what I have seen on youtube they look on par with AC3?

Hello, thank you for your response.

The frame-rate appears to drop the most when there's lots of things being rendered at once. Like if you go to a higher viewpoint in the city and look down, it will just drop. In the city areas of the game, the frame rate is "fine" but not solid when walking around. But who wants to walk around? If you're free running etc it drops horrifically. Not only that, effects such as explosions do cause the frame-rate to dip like in AC III.

I cannot stress how bad in some areas the performance is on the PS3 version of the game. Yes, it does run at a high frame-rate in small areas like in AC III. But in instances such as above but more (I don't want to spoil things) it is almost unplayable as the controls are unresponsive in combat, it just makes it difficult to kill people etc.

The texture quality compared to Assassin's Creed III is significantly lower in terms of buildings/objects in a distance. If you are not "that" far from a building, its textures will be very low, lower than what is seen in any Assassin's Creed game unless you get closer to it. Yes, i understand the way game engines work and texture quality reductions to save memory/bandwidth etc, but the fact half the time it's happening to walls which aren't much far away, it makes it inexcusable since it does not happen in any other Assassin's Creed game.

this is the second time i've heard of more performance issues with the PS3 version. seems the xbox version might actually fare better...most Youtube vids i've seen actually seem to be from the 360 version.

I do recommend that if users have a system other than the PS3, they may have to re-consider and check to see if the Xbox 360 version runs more smoother. I personally had only a small amount of frame-rate drops on the Xbox 360 version of ACIII. But it felt worse in the PS3 version. I just can't stress enough how bad the performance feels whilst in some big areas of the game, it's such a let down. I've not really had any issues whilst aboard ships though, it's mainly in the cities.

Cheers.

Flutterwhat
10-25-2013, 07:14 PM

Please keep in mind the day one patch has not yet been released. and with any open world game there will be bugs...there is no such thing as a game without bugs.

MrNightmareTM
10-25-2013, 07:22 PM
thank you for your opioions, could you tell me if you can sail other ships such as the man of war and regarding question 10 you liked, its great to hear that the world ocean is big, could you tell if the world map in bigger than that of GTA V ?

Thank you.

No problem, I don't want to reveal too much but from my experience so far, I believe that you can only control the one ship, unless provided with another for a mission. I think I may try to hi-jack one later!

I'm not familiar with GTA V unfortunately, I feel it's overrated :cool: Anyhow, It took me a long time to sail from one area to the other avoiding natural hazards etc. It just feels so realistic, the scale of the map, time taken to get from one point to the other and the way the sea changes upon the time of day and weather. It's really good.

Well another glitch was that there was a guard inside rocks once, a few of the ship crew members have floated/glitched and teleported up/down repeatedly. Only minor though, it does seem pretty polished apart from the performance issues.

Please keep in mind the day one patch has not yet been released. and with any open world game there will be bugs...there is no such thing as a game without bugs.

The game for PS3 has already been patched not sure about other versions. I have seen no difference between the pre-patched/patched version and I'm not sure if Ubisoft will provide change logs like they did with AC III.

Cheers.

bolz87
10-25-2013, 07:29 PM
Yes, but still AC3 is buggy and unoptimized like hell after 1 year... and seems like AC4 will be the same

Raibuscus
10-25-2013, 07:31 PM
People for the last time. There will be a day-one patch
Stop with the "Here we go again, AC3 bugs" -_-

Btw, I'm pretty sure it'll run smoother on the Xbox 360 since I've seen some videos and I compared the two and it's pretty obvious that everything looks fine on the Xbox.

bolz87
10-25-2013, 07:36 PM
People for the last time. There will be a day-one patch
Stop with the "Here we go again, AC3 bugs" -_-
YESSSS brace yourself.. :)

Flutterwhat
10-26-2013, 03:20 AM
oh no a bug in a video game how absoulty terrible it's not like any other video game has bugs. heck, no software in the entire world has any bugs execpt for assassin's creed terrible terrible i can't belive it i am ashamed of the world how could they DO THIS TO US

SleezeRocker
10-26-2013, 04:04 AM
Tertris is bug-free :P
hahahaha

phoenix-force411
10-26-2013, 04:37 AM
ACIII guards ruin the stealth experience, because it appears that guards know everything that you do on roof tops.

TheDanteEX
10-26-2013, 04:52 AM
ACIII guards ruin the stealth experience, because it appears that guards know everything that you do on roof tops.

ACIII guards could see miles away and sometimes through walls, but couldn't hear a thing.

pacmanate
10-26-2013, 09:31 AM
I am hoping the day one patch fixes the frame rate issue.

roostersrule2
10-26-2013, 09:35 AM
I doubt the textures are worse then previous AC's? Especially the older ones.

I'm actually at a loss of how we could go backwards? The map is only the size of AC3's (excluding water) and water is only a shader so it can't take up too much space.

pacmanate
10-26-2013, 09:40 AM

I'm actually at a loss of how we could go backwards? The map is only the size of AC3's (excluding water) and water is only a shader so it can't take up too much space.

I just searched for some PS3 gameplay in actual HD and the cities look fine to me... I can PM you the clip if you like? Its just free running.

roostersrule2
10-26-2013, 09:44 AM
I just searched for some PS3 gameplay in actual HD and the cities look fine to me... I can PM you the clip if you like? Its just free running.That'd be great, cheers.

Shahkulu101
10-26-2013, 09:50 AM
I vant PM of gamepway too Pac. :(

pacmanate
10-26-2013, 09:59 AM
Sent PM's to both.

As you can see, the textures don't look bad, well not to me anyway, and I haven't seen any framerate issues that would hinder the experience for PS3 owners.

Shahkulu101
10-26-2013, 10:08 AM
Sent PM's to both.

As you can see, the textures don't look bad, well not to me anyway, and I haven't seen any framerate issues that would hinder the experience for PS3 owners.

Yep, can't see any issues really - looks great.

On another note, I believe I may have caved in. One of my favorite let's play guys has started a walkthrough. :(

roostersrule2
10-26-2013, 10:09 AM
Yep, can't see any issues really - looks great.

On another note, I believe I may have caved in. One of my favorite let's play guys has started a walkthrough. :(Indeed, it looks great.

I watched about 5 seconds of a cutscene and

I saw the colour blue

pacmanate
10-26-2013, 10:12 AM
Indeed, it looks great.

I watched about 5 seconds of a cutscene and

I saw the colour blue

Cutscenes do look good on current gen too. Its annoying trying to compare 360 and PS3 videos on youtube seeing as no one that owns a PS3 knows how to render a video.

TJ_Wylde
10-26-2013, 10:45 AM
Cutscenes do look good on current gen too. Its annoying trying to compare 360 and PS3 videos on youtube seeing as no one that owns a PS3 knows how to render a video.

Aside from that. Both consoles have different output settings so if you do a setup on your tv for color/brightness etc. etc. for the Xbox then that same setup might not work as well if you hook up a ps3 after it. So all those ps3/xbox comparison videos. Idk. it's like a plague to me. Both look good. Play the system you prefer. Setup your tv/dolby system to that and just enjoy the game. what ever happened to that :p

pacmanate
10-26-2013, 11:01 AM
Aside from that. Both consoles have different output settings so if you do a setup on your tv for color/brightness etc. etc. for the Xbox then that same setup might not work as well if you hook up a ps3 after it. So all those ps3/xbox comparison videos. Idk. it's like a plague to me. Both look good. Play the system you prefer. Setup your tv/dolby system to that and just enjoy the game. what ever happened to that :p

This isn't about preferred systems, its about PS3 users saying the textures aren't good.

TJ_Wylde
10-26-2013, 11:09 AM
This isn't about preferred systems, its about PS3 users saying the textures aren't good.

Hmm well i don't see any issues. And i'm a modeller (also do textures) myself. There are some system limitations as to the size of the textures and all but i really didn't come across anything noticeable. So far it seems to mostly use 512 and 1024 textures and i think some 2048 maybe as well (resolution sizes we use on models usually). To me (and on my system) they look clean. no missing textures or weird artifacts etc. They did patch yesterday so maybe for those ppl it's changed now.

MrNightmareTM
10-26-2013, 01:09 PM
I am hoping the day one patch fixes the frame rate issue.

I can confirm that after updating the frame rate issues are still present and there are no noticeable differences in-game.

The texture quality is really inconsistent. Some areas use good quality textures, others do not and it stands out quite a lot. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood is an example of a game with very consistent looking textures throughout, it's just not like that in this game as much...

Sent PM's to both.

Well videos are hardly representative of it in front of your face. I can guarantee that you will be able to spot out low quality textures easily but it doesn't really bother me. As for frame rate issues, this is also one of those inconsistent things. The frame rate can be alright one minute, the next it's dropping around 20-25 which is pretty bad and almost unplayable. I had several enemies on screen and the game was becoming so slow the controls were unresponsive and I couldn't counter the attacks unless I'd press it earlier than what I needed to. It's just an example, but my opinion is that it does ruin the experience because it's hard to focus in when the screen is just chuttering about ;/ If others can play it like this then that's alright, I know this will bother some people and others not but what the hell.

But then again, the texture issue could just be a bug with the game itself.

roostersrule2
10-26-2013, 01:14 PM
I thought 20-25 was a half decent frame rate?

And with the inconsistent textures are you comparing building textures to say foliage textures?

pacmanate
10-26-2013, 01:37 PM

And with the inconsistent textures are you comparing building textures to say foliage textures?

It doesn't matter if 20-25 is decent, he said the control responses have delay at that point, that is the problem.

MrNightmareTM
10-26-2013, 01:39 PM

20-25 Isn't that good for me, but other people may find it to be fine. But from time when the controls are unresponsive and there's input lag it just takes it to a whole new level. I was on a level which consisted of multiple effects and explosions and it was looking like a slideshow etc. The textures which are low are mainly the building ones but I don't have a problem with low res textures. It's just it is very noticeable to me and is easy to point out. I never had this issue at all in AC III. But the crashing, frame rate bugs etc are the things which are potentially game breaking and Ubisoft should fix them if possible

No game is perfect i guess, but It's just a great way this game could be improved upon. The game is beyond fun! I didn't think I'd like the "pirate" theme but it actually works really well.

Cheers.

roostersrule2
10-26-2013, 01:51 PM
20-25 Isn't that good for me, but other people may find it to be fine. But from time when the controls are unresponsive and there's input lag it just takes it to a whole new level. I was on a level which consisted of multiple effects and explosions and it was looking like a slideshow etc. The textures which are low are mainly the building ones but I don't have a problem with low res textures. It's just it is very noticeable to me and is easy to point out. I never had this issue at all in AC III. But the crashing, frame rate bugs etc are the things which are potentially game breaking and Ubisoft should fix them if possible

No game is perfect i guess, but It's just a great way this game could be improved upon. The game is beyond fun! I didn't think I'd like the "pirate" theme but it actually works really well.

Cheers.Arrr okay, things like these are usually fixable though so there's hope there.

It's good to sea the Pirate seem fits, when it was rumoured to be a pirate game I was hoping it was just DLC, but during the past couple of months I have changed my mind, it looks awesome.