PDA

View Full Version : AC4 - where are the good, old & fun Assassin's weapons?

Landruner
10-24-2013, 07:33 AM
LET THE PLAYER HAVE THE FREEDOM OF CHOOSING THE WEAPONS THEY WANT TO USE

MAKE AN INVENTORY THAT ALLOWS PLAYER TO CARRY THE ARSENAL THEY WANT TO USE

LET THE PLAYER THE CHOOSE TO KEPT THEM (Hideout) or SELL THE ONES THEY DON'T WANT TO KEPT

IMPROVE SOME PREVIOUS WEAPONS & MAKE THEM OPTIONAL FOR THE PLAYER THAT WANTS TO USE THOSE

That topic had been exposed several times by a lot of fans on this Forum, twitters, reviews, stage events, E3 events, and some other Forums as well.

Read the rest bellow if you want to, but you got the point of all it is about on the top already
Some AC’s fans were disappointed that AC3 had not enough weapons and regretted notably that they were no any longer Assassin’s weapons besides the hidden blade and the rope dart. SOME COULD HAVE IMPROVED & LEFT FOR PLAYER TO USE IF THEY WANTED TO

Some of us to the developers asked via requests the return of the old weaponry from the previous of the ancestor Assassins either by side quest missions or by unlockable awards for the next installment of the franchise -AC4 :

The iconic Altair’s (throwing knifes)

Ezio’s weaponry such as hidden gun(s), crossbow, and the hook blade

We also asked the comeback of an improved bomb crafting. (The one of ACR was interesting, but a bit tedious). However the 4 different types of bombs/grenades shells and caltrops from ACR were interesting since they could help to create different combo strategies (caltrops were nice to escape your foes while you were chased).

Apparently the only Assassin’s weapons we get in AC4 are the hidden blades (signature of the franchise) and…a blow pipe…and the classic smoke bombs only… (throwing knifes are there but only in some circumstances)
Okay, the blow pipe is cool and it apparently offers some variety of different darts, but honestly, why having tossed away such nice weaponry from the previous games that was fun to play with?

As it was the case in AC3, in AC4 some of those previous weapons from the past assassin’s ancestors could have retuned and just needed to be improved toward the new content and character, but not being removed totally from the gameplay.
I understand that the author(s) of AC4 wanted to be accurate in the reproduction of the golden age of piracy, and the author did not want to make some anachronisms with the weapons and some content of the game or still using some cliché such as the Hookblade and the hook for pirates. I understand and respect that , but in AC3 we honestly already missed the weapon’s improvements made for the two previous Ezio’s installments (Brotherhood & Revelation) and we hoped that the message was understood and that this new installment was going to bring some iconic weapons back.

Personally I understand that the AC franchise tries to be full of realism, but the franchise is also part of a science fiction genre (Animus) and it won’t hurt the credibility of the franchise is those additions are there for the fun of the games and the players.

In AC2 and Brotherhood I doubt that Leonardo da Vinci ever made double hidden blades from some Templar codex and even more certain that Cesar Borgia ever built some war machines based upon the old good Leo’s drawings – Also the parachute and the airplane never went beyond the drawing and wooden miniature prototypes - Nerveless; we had fun playing with those toys and a blast with War machine side missions even if they were totally surrealistic and improbable. :D They were fun.

Also my point is that the new Character Edward Kenway does not need also to befriend a contemporary “genius” in order to be creative regarding his sneaky gadgetry & weapons, he seems to be smart enough to improve and grafting his own Assassin’s weaponry without the help of anybody.

We also asked additional stealthy weapons (Sling/Slingshot; Mambele; Chakram…ect) and the possibility of crafting and combining some new gadget/ weapons with accessories found in the Caribbean as a new feature in game,

Example:

Take the Ezio’s crossbow and combine it with a spyglass and you get an new weapon to snipe silently your foes at distance if you chose to (anachronism I know, but it could be cool (?). :o
A crazy one; take a dry starfish shell; add blades at the end of the arms and your get a Shuriken (pirate's throwing starfish):rolleyes: (Crazy I know, but 16th century's Ezio had parachutes in ACB & ACR so, why not Shuriken made of Starfish?)

More serious weapons:

Combine a pirate’s Marlin Spike with some nails and you get a Morning Star (blunt weapon) then make the same with pirate’s Hand Fids and your get throwing mini Morningstars.

Like ACR combine grenades and caltrops and you get an escape tool (besides Grenades and caltrops were used by pirates in the 1700s)

Another feature we asked is the option to switch from additional secondary weapons collection into in our inventory slots if we choose to – (Example the choice of using the throwing knifes instead of the smoke bombs and vise & versa depending of the missions) in order to prevent an overwhelming and confusing inventory of secondary weapons to choice from during missions.

AC4 apparently does not feature those features, but it does feature a blow pipe (An improved version of the 1999’s Tenchu Stealth Assassin because you can permute between the different darts).

I have been told also that they are not really a lot of weapons and weapons variations besides the swords (apparently no axe or naval axe?)

I honestly hope that in some future DLCs we could see those cool ancestor weapons back and why not the possibility to graft some new ones. (even crazy ones)

Let me know what you think.

scooper121s
10-24-2013, 08:22 AM
I want the throwing knives and some rope darts to get more range. That is all.

xboxauditore
10-24-2013, 08:33 AM
I wouldn't the return of a short blade on your back.

HiddenKiller612
10-24-2013, 08:42 AM
Hookblade. Loved it in ACR

Farlander1991
10-24-2013, 08:42 AM
We've had a thread about this recently already, so I'm just going to say in short what I said there:

Fewer but more distinct and meaningful weapons > more but less distinct and meaningful weapons (as is the case with Ezio's Trilogy and AC3 for that matter).

The truth is, most of ACB, ACR and AC3 (and to a lesser extent AC2) arsenal is not useful at all, or redundant, or makes something from a previous installment useless or redundant.

Landruner
10-24-2013, 09:07 AM
We've had a thread about this recently already, so I'm just going to say in short what I said there:

Fewer but more distinct and meaningful weapons > more but less distinct and meaningful weapons (as is the case with Ezio's Trilogy and AC3 for that matter).

The truth is, most of ACB, ACR and AC3 (and to a lesser extent AC2) arsenal is not useful at all, or redundant, or makes something from a previous installment useless or redundant.

Well, I believe that the AC2 and else were somewhat missing from AC3 and I am not the only one... - Like I mentioned we suggested those pieces of this arsenal to be optional for the players that want to mess with that and add them to their arsenal by optional choice in their inventory slots. Grafting new weapons of gadget had also been suggested as well. You know I believe a lot of different people play those games at their own pace and choice of their favorite weapons. If you consider that the new Assassin has to only have a pair of hidden blade, a sword, 4 pistols and a blowpipe, that's cool too.

xXRazvanXx
10-24-2013, 09:30 AM
Wait,i thought the rope dart is in AC4,i know i saw it in a video (inventory,not gameplay).

//Yep,it is confirmed for AC4 http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Rope_darts .Now let`s see how they like to be hanged.

Farlander1991
10-24-2013, 09:30 AM
Well, I believe that the AC2 and else were somewhat missing from AC3 and I am not the only one... - Like I mentioned we suggested those pieces of this arsenal to be optional for the players that want to mess with that and add them to their arsenal by optional choice in their inventory slots. Grafting new weapons of gadget had also been suggested as well. You know I believe a lot of different people play those games at their own pace and choice of their favorite weapons. If you consider that the new Assassin has to only have a pair of hidden blade, a sword, 4 pistols and a blowpipe, that's cool too.

On a side note, your first post is very well-written and was a nice read, I just don't agree with it conceptually.

Let's examine AC1. It's got only a few weapons:
1 - Hidden blade. Useable in combat only with counters (and a very short window), but is always a one-hit kill, plus used for assassinations.
2 - Sword. Average speed and damage, the ability to use strong attacks.
3 - Short blade. Very high speed but low damage, the ability to use throwing knives.
4 - Fists. Non-lethal method to beat up people.

Each weapon has its own distinction, its own use, advantages and disadvantages (and if not for the horribly overpowered counter in AC1, all those things would be much more widely noticed). This kind of principle started to break AC2 onward.

Now let's examine ACB, for examine.
AC2 had a pretty balanced ranged system. Throwing knives - little damage, but you can carry up to 25 of them (plus, throw 3 at a time). And silent. Pistol - one hit kill (if targeted properly, though it doesn't take too long to 'line up' the kill), but loud and you can carry little bullets.

And then ACB introduces the crossbow. Silent, one hit kill, AND you can carry up to 25 of them? I'm sorry, but there's absolutely no reason to use throwing knives and pistols with that, those weapons are obsolete.

And I can go on. But I don't think adding gadgets JUST to people to mess with them is a good idea (for example, 75% of the bomb crafting system is very redundant, it could be streamlined with a much better impact on gameplay). It has to be distinct, useful, have a purpose, not be overshadowed by something else, and then by their nature people will just be inclined to mess with them.

So in AC4 we have less weapons and tools, but if they've got a distinct feel to them and each has a certain use, I see that only as a good thing.

Rockpixel
10-24-2013, 02:16 PM
And then ACB introduces the crossbow. Silent, one hit kill, AND you can carry up to 25 of them? I'm sorry, but there's absolutely no reason to use throwing knives and pistols with that, those weapons are obsolete.

To be fair, the crossbow wasn't a one hit kill on everything. Some tougher enemies were immune to them. But they did make throwing knives less used.

Jexx21
10-24-2013, 02:16 PM
LOL

No, throwing knives aren't needed anymore. No crossbow needed.

The only true "Assassin" weapon are the hidden blades.

Farlander1991
10-24-2013, 02:36 PM
To be fair, the crossbow wasn't a one hit kill on everything. Some tougher enemies were immune to them. But they did make throwing knives less used.

Maybe some of the main Templar targets (not sure actually, haven't used crossbows on them), but which enemy archetypes can't be one-hit killed with crossbows? Brutes, seekers, everybody dies in one hit. Even the Janissaries die of them (admittedly, that might've been situational? Haven't used it as much on them as I did on other archetypes). But even if Janissaries aren't one hit kill, in ACB there's no enemy archetype that isn't.

adventurewomen
10-24-2013, 02:49 PM
No Tomahawk is a deal breaker for me! :(

Medieval-X-2.0
10-24-2013, 04:02 PM
For a pirate assassin, Edward seems to be carrying the right weapons. Anything more, and he would just seem over-powered, over-weighted, and too diverse for any foe to give a real challenge. He's already carrying four guns, two swords, and a blow-dart gun, not to mention his hidden blades. That seems about right to me. That was ACB's and ACR's problem I think. Your weapons arsenal was too large and over-powered. No enemy was a problem to take down. Even the Janissaries fell before your might. If they could just make the enemies a lot tougher, and limit your arsenal to more realistic parameters, the game would be more centered, and would force you to approach situations as an assassin should. Think AC1, but with enemies being quicker and dealing more damage to your health. That's what we need.

pirate1802
10-24-2013, 04:02 PM
I agree with Farlander, I'd take a small number of useful and diverse weapons over 9000 almost similar and useless ones.

Landruner
10-24-2013, 05:14 PM
Thank you for your compliment because I am not Anglophone - The point I was trying to make is that I regret each that from one installment to another is this franchise, some stuff you could have fun with are dropped. We have been twitting the Devs the past months and some Friends including asked then to let OPTIONAL customization for the nostalgic of the old arsenal, but also the possibility to graft and create weapons as a new feature (additionally we asked a crouch button as well) and the option to choice and permute your arsenal for the different type of missions - So far, the game had been reviewed in France, and the news regarding the gameplay and a friend of mine who got the chance to try it told me it is pretty much the same thing as AC3, he said it is a good game... but like AC3, he did not feel like an assassin at all.

AssassinHMS
10-24-2013, 05:56 PM
For a pirate assassin, Edward seems to be carrying the right weapons. Anything more, and he would just seem over-powered, over-weighted, and too diverse for any foe to give a real challenge. He's already carrying four guns, two swords, and a blow-dart gun, not to mention his hidden blades. That seems about right to me. That was ACB's and ACR's problem I think. Your weapons arsenal was too large and over-powered. No enemy was a problem to take down. Even the Janissaries fell before your might. If they could just make the enemies a lot tougher, and limit your arsenal to more realistic parameters, the game would be more centered, and would force you to approach situations as an assassin should. Think AC1, but with enemies being quicker and dealing more damage to your health. That's what we need.

I completely agree. I already proposed something like that myself.
Problem is most people don't want to think like an assassin and would rather fight their way through. They want to be able to kill anyone and any number of enemies. According to them, stealth and combat should have the same level of difficulty and there should never be a situation where fighting isn't a viable option (whether against 5 or dozens of enemies).
Apparently players feel "badass" by choosing to be sneaky while knowing they can murder all the guards in a few minutes. Many enjoy feeling like Hulk, brutally murdering enemies and mixing weapons to watch different gruesome kills.

I, on the other hand, want a hard combat system. Since assassins are good fighters they would be able to fight against 3 enemies at once but more than that would require a great deal of skill from the player and luck. Of course, to make things more balanced, navigation would play a bigger role where it would work as a bridge between combat and stealth (credits to Gi1t) . While escaping, the player can slide, roll or jump to dodge guards that are blocking the way and quickly eleminate/wound them with the hidden blade (if the player pressed the attack button right after successfully dodging an enemy). Then it would only be a matter of hiding (in dark places or inside big crowds) to break the pursuer's line of sight. So navigation, in the form of escaping, would work as a different, but still engaging way to approach difficult situations where fighting is madness while allowing players to quickly resume stealth.
By making combat harder/realistic, escaping is thrilling and stealth becomes meanigful and filled with tension and the player is really encouraged to think like an assassin as he would be completely immersed in the experience instead of feeling above it, like a god.

Sigv4rd
10-24-2013, 06:12 PM
How about being able to switch & remove weapons from the player's arsenal...
For example: Choosing between a Bow or Throwing Knives for a ranged weapon, or simply removing them...

Landruner
10-24-2013, 06:18 PM

Usually the Crossbow was lethal for any foe, but it was not my point since we asked the crossbow return with the aiming improvement of AC4 - in ACB & ACR it was automatic as long as your target was at the right distance of aiming - If the crossbow must return, it must use the same type of aiming used of AC4 (Like the pistols) - The goal being that you use a stealthy weapon instead of a noisy pistol is you choose too. Like I mentioned in my thread those pieces of arsenal have to be OPTIONAL for the player that wants to use them.

AssassinHMS
10-24-2013, 06:19 PM
For example: Choosing between a Bow or Throwing Knives for a ranged weapon, or simply removing them...

I would like that a lot! Ubisoft should have added the option to remove weapons and armor since AC2.
If I could, I would play every AC game only with one hidden blade and 10 throwing knives. No armor, no blowpipe, no guns.

Landruner
10-24-2013, 06:30 PM
I completely agree. I already proposed something like that myself.
Problem is most people don't want to think like an assassin and would rather fight their way through. They want to be able to kill anyone and any number of enemies. According to them, stealth and combat should have the same level of difficulty and there should never be a situation where fighting isn't a viable option (whether against 5 or dozens of enemies).
Apparently players feel "badass" by choosing to be sneaky while knowing they can murder all the guards in a few minutes. Many enjoy feeling like Hulk, brutally murdering enemies and mixing weapons to watch different gruesome kills.

I, on the other hand, want a hard combat system. Since assassins are good fighters they would be able to fight against 3 enemies at once but more than that would require a great deal of skill from the player and luck. Of course, to make things more balanced, navigation would play a bigger role where it would work as a bridge between combat and stealth (credits to Gi1t) . While escaping, the player can slide, roll or jump to dodge guards that are blocking the way and quickly eleminate/wound them with the hidden blade (if the player pressed the attack button right after successfully dodging an enemy). Then it would only be a matter of hiding (in dark places or inside big crowds) to break the pursuer's line of sight. So navigation, in the form of escaping, would work as a different, but still engaging way to approach difficult situations where fighting is madness while allowing players to quickly resume stealth.
By making combat harder/realistic, escaping is thrilling and stealth becomes meanigful and filled with tension and the player is really encouraged to think like an assassin as he would be completely immersed in the experience instead of feeling above it, like a god.

You are making a good point and it is what a lot regretted in AC3 - A lot wanted to be stealthy and they could not and were getting into a carnage despite the fact they did not mean to create one. We suggested to Devs of AC3 to implant additional gameplay in the DLCs with either the return of the old arsenal (by DLC side missions) Leaving the player to choice them if they wanted to in order to balance the gameplay between the ones who like the carnage and the ones that prefer the sneaky ambush in order to make make everyone . Hutchinson told us that some stuff like that will be implanted in the 3 episode DLCs - I have played them, and they did not....

Jexx21
10-24-2013, 06:35 PM
Uh..

So you just want them to include old weapons for the sake of including old weapons. These weapons aren't "Assassin" weapons, they're just weapons. They aren't used by only Assassins.

What makes what we know to be an Assassin is parkour skill, significant weapons training, the hidden blade, and their ideology. Not any specific weapons.

Landruner
10-24-2013, 06:38 PM
No Tomahawk is a deal breaker for me! :(

Actually believe or not Tomahawks were used by some pirates in the Caribbean as boarding axe and naval axes

pirate1802
10-24-2013, 06:39 PM

Now there's a good idea. Or have a fixed number of weapon slots and have you pick and choose your weapons. So you can either run around with a spear and a crossbow or a sword and throwing knives.

In the end I think its cool and all that they are doing different locations in different ACs, but the day they sit down and improve these basic features is the day the next big advancement in the franchise would come.

Farlander1991
10-24-2013, 06:44 PM
I always thought that weapon selection (if there would be one) should be tied to the notoriety system. The more weapons and tools you have on you (i.e. power) the more socially unacceptable you are - guards are much more wary of you.

(on a side note, it is really weird to me that you can't unequip anything in AC2 and other games, because technically speaking that capability IS there, there's just no UI way to get to it).

Landruner
10-24-2013, 06:50 PM
I would like that a lot! Ubisoft should have added the option to remove weapons and armor since AC2.
If I could, I would play every AC game only with one hidden blade and 10 throwing knives. No armor, no blowpipe, no guns.

That is the AC's spirit you are truly the real Assassin Creed I met so far :) Like you mention, optional customization for your character was the way I was hoping the franchise will take. Make the player the option to choose his gear and own personalized weapons among a lot of different weapon to choose from. You want to customize an armor for a specific mission, you can, - you want to play with just the hidden blades and the throwing knives without having to take smoke bombs and you get 5 more knife if you don't take the bombs, you may. that is what we expected from AC4 - the freedom to choice our customization of our character in order to experience a different gameplay the way we wanted to play.

Shahkulu101
10-24-2013, 06:53 PM
I love throwing knives and was sad to see them go in AC3 - I loved to take out multiple guards with them in the Ezio trilogy, they were so fun when taking Borgia towers or Templar dens.

Landruner
10-24-2013, 07:16 PM

Well it is actually what I suggested in my thread - You collect some different weapons or piece of gear within the map that you can store in your ship and then, you choose the pick the ones you want to use. You want to play the pirate you can, You to play as Altair with just HB & throwing knifes, you can, you want to play as Ezio and use a crossbow instead of the gun for a specific mission, you can. You want the gear of Connor and make a carnage around you, well is there because you have the choice to play your new assassin the want you want to, because it is there.

I believe that most people only see the limitation of the system because they think that in their in game weapon wheel selection they are going to see 30 weapons to choose from assuming that they don't want to use all of them (that will be insane and tedious), and it is not what we suggested. We suggested to indeed having the OPTION to choose your arsenal and gear you may get buy them, collect them, or doing side missions, and you may add tor replace or switch hem into your inventory slots in the weapon wheel for using the way you want to.

Landruner
10-24-2013, 07:26 PM
Uh..

So you just want them to include old weapons for the sake of including old weapons. These weapons aren't "Assassin" weapons, they're just weapons. They aren't used by only Assassins.

What makes what we know to be an Assassin is parkour skill, significant weapons training, the hidden blade, and their ideology. Not any specific weapons.

Not exactly what I suggested in my thread, I said optional option for the old ones and I suggested also customization of the arsenal (old one and making you own weapons), and the option to pick the weapons you want to use.

Landruner
10-24-2013, 07:33 PM
I always thought that weapon selection (if there would be one) should be tied to the notoriety system. The more weapons and tools you have on you (i.e. power) the more socially unacceptable you are - guards are much more wary of you.

(on a side note, it is really weird to me that you can't unequip anything in AC2 and other games, because technically speaking that capability IS there, there's just no UI way to get to it).

I agree with you, it is what I believe that we should be able to select your weapons to include in our weapon wheel. I btw like your idea of notoriety tied on the weapon selection.

x___Luffy___x
10-24-2013, 07:38 PM
the best weapon for me in AC3 was the tomahawk, second one was bow and arrow. i never even equipped the swords or any heavy weapons.

it will be awesome if we could select the weapons we want to use and unequip the ones we don't want.

AssassinHMS
10-24-2013, 07:39 PM
You are making a good point and it is what a lot regretted in AC3 - A lot wanted to be stealthy and they could not and were getting into a carnage despite the fact they did not mean to create one. We suggested to Devs of AC3 to implant additional gameplay in the DLCs with either the return of the old arsenal (by DLC side missions) Leaving the player to choice them if they wanted to in order to balance the gameplay between the ones who like the carnage and the ones that prefer the sneaky ambush in order to make make everyone . Hutchinson told us that some stuff like that will be implanted in the 3 episode DLCs - I have played them, and they did not....

Yeah. I’d say AC3 developers were never really interested in making an AC game. I mean, they misused all the franchise had to offer (assassinations, freedom, stealth, music, cities, even the hidden blade was bad…) and worked on adding things that have nothing to do with AC: Hollywood moments, naval, hunting, crafting, linear action sequences… So, after AC3, I pretty much knew that team would not make a good AC DLC (especially after seeing the new “powers” thing).

Great idea! I have posted some ideas of mine about this as well: like if you want to carry a sword or other weapons, you also have to buy special outfits or gear from a tailor in order to conceal those weapons. Say, a cape to hide a crossbow (like Ezio in ACR), boots where you can place a dagger, a sword disguised as a cane or long sleeves to conceal the hidden blade (like prowler in ACB). If the player didn’t conceal a weapon, guards would be much more aggressive to the point they would react if they saw that the player was too close.

That is the AC's spirit you are truly the real Assassin Creed I met so far :)
Ahah, thank you! :) But that would be arguable. I simply enjoy the original concept of AC and hate the way Ubisoft got rid of it and focused on pleasing everyone instead of trying to actually improve the franchise (you know, work on the core mechanics and focus on delivering a true Assassin’s Creed experience). Still, Black Flag seems to be a step in the right direction, more or less…
I have to say I’m happy because you too seem to be a fan of the original Assassin’s Creed concept (and not the one recent games portrait) which is very rare, even in this forum.

Like you mention, optional customization for your character was the way I was hoping the franchise will take. Make the player the option to choose his gear and own personalized weapons among a lot of different weapon to choose from. You want to customize an armor for a specific mission, you can, - you want to play with just the hidden blades and the throwing knives without having to take smoke bombs and you get 5 more knife if you don't take the bombs, you may. that is what we expected from AC4 - the freedom to choice our customization of our character in order to experience a different gameplay the way we wanted to play.

Exactly! But do you think AC4 will deliver that?

Landruner
10-24-2013, 07:39 PM
I love throwing knives and was sad to see them go in AC3 - I loved to take out multiple guards with them in the Ezio trilogy, they were so fun when taking Borgia towers or Templar dens.

I know I was surprised that they removed them for AC3 - I really though they were part of the AC franchise like the Hidden blade(s) since they always been there. Like we suggested back in time, they could have implanted them with the AC3 aiming system and improving them by the ability to throw 2 at the same time for instance.

Landruner
10-24-2013, 07:42 PM
the best weapon for me in AC3 was the tomahawk, second one was bow and arrow. i never even equipped the swords or any heavy weapons.

it will be awesome if we could select the weapons we want to use and unequip the ones we don't want.

Yep, it is what I mention in my thread

Sigv4rd
10-24-2013, 07:46 PM

So basically a Subtlety system:

Kinda reminds me of the Disguise system in Liberation, without the whole wearing a dress and making it impossible to climb...
Hidden Blade should be permanent though, it is the iconic assassin weapon, and also the most discreet.
------------------------------
Perhaps certain different weapons increase n: For example the default sword given to the player has:
1Damage/1Deflect/1Speed/5Subtlety. Overall lower stats but less likely to attract attention
The Sword of Altair on the other hand would have:
5Damage/5Deflect/5Speed/1Subtlety A superior weapon but exceptionally flashy, Guards no the sword as an assassin weapon.

The sword of Altair could still be used subtlety, but with less weapons equipped.

Landruner
10-24-2013, 08:09 PM
Yeah. I’d say AC3 developers were never really interested in making an AC game. I mean, they misused all the franchise had to offer (assassinations, freedom, stealth, music, cities, even the hidden blade was bad…) and worked on adding things that have nothing to do with AC: Hollywood moments, naval, hunting, crafting, linear action sequences… So, after AC3, I pretty much knew that team would not make a good AC DLC (especially after seeing the new “powers” thing).

Great idea! I have posted some ideas of mine about this as well: like if you want to carry a sword or other weapons, you also have to buy special outfits or gear from a tailor in order to conceal those weapons. Say, a cape to hide a crossbow (like Ezio in ACR), boots where you can place a dagger, a sword disguised as a cane or long sleeves to conceal the hidden blade (like prowler in ACB). If the player didn’t conceal a weapon, guards would be much more aggressive to the point they would react if they saw that the player was too close.

Ahah, thank you! :) But that would be arguable. I simply enjoy the original concept of AC and hate the way Ubisoft got rid of it and focused on pleasing everyone instead of trying to actually improve the franchise (you know, work on the core mechanics and focus on delivering a true Assassin’s Creed experience). Still, Black Flag seems to be a step in the right direction, more or less…
I have to say I’m happy because you too seem to be a fan of the original Assassin’s Creed concept (and not the one recent games portrait) which is very rare, even in this forum.

Exactly! But do you think AC4 will deliver that?

Well, long story short, this is not really the pieces of feedback I got from the ones who did the previews notably regarding the way the player can manage your character toward the missions. Now, I have too see the final product running for having my own impressions in this matter, but I am not expecting a miracle neither.

AnthonyA85
10-24-2013, 08:46 PM
To be honest, I wouldn't have minded seeing the bomb system coming back in Black Flag. ACR was the only point in the entire series where bombs were USEFUL, and I tended to use the Datura poison bombs most of all (there's just something about watching a group of guards suffering simultaneous strokes that's just so sadistically satisfying :P)

But I don't know why throwing knives are on the list, as we have seen evidence that they're in the game. In the smuggler cave demo, Edward loots a throwing knife from one of the smugglers, we even see a little knife icon in the bottom right with a number next to it, implying that we can buy/craft more, and if i remember right, i've seen a "Throwing Knife belt upgrade" in the crafting menu during one of the open world demos/sequence 3 demo.

So throwing knives are definitely in.

Landruner
10-24-2013, 08:55 PM

It is not exactly what I put in my thread and I am right with you if you put all those weapons in your inventory secondary wheel will be tedious - I mention in the thread the option to select your weapons (selecting and switching your weapons) instead of having to carry all of them with you. Option #9 is the poll above - Perhaps, I should have turned a better way the name of my thread in order the prevent confusion with the poll?

Farlander1991
10-24-2013, 09:14 PM

So basically a Subtlety system:

Kinda reminds me of the Disguise system in Liberation, without the whole wearing a dress and making it impossible to climb...
Hidden Blade should be permanent though, it is the iconic assassin weapon, and also the most discreet.
------------------------------
Perhaps certain different weapons increase n: For example the default sword given to the player has:
1Damage/1Deflect/1Speed/5Subtlety. Overall lower stats but less likely to attract attention
The Sword of Altair on the other hand would have:
5Damage/5Deflect/5Speed/1Subtlety A superior weapon but exceptionally flashy, Guards no the sword as an assassin weapon.

The sword of Altair could still be used subtlety, but with less weapons equipped.

While all those are good ideas, I think it's important to be careful not to overcomplicate things too much. Sometimes things are better when they're more simple. It's important that things are clear.

For example, concealment. I think it's a cool idea, but things that have to be though about: a) is there a limit on how many 'concealing' outfits we can wear? b) if yes, why? c) what happens if we conceal everything, doesn't that overpower the player even greater and goes against the purpose of the system itself? d) will the guards be suspicious of a heavily concealed person? e) how to properly convey that information to the player?

We could go with a subtlety meter like suggested in another post to combine with that, but I think that if it's a "+/-" kind of thing (like, weapons subtract from subtlety, concealments add to it), it can lead to some REALLY weird results.

Look at a system that's already present in the games and has been mentioned in the post: the weapon stats. Damage/Deflect/Speed, from Ezio's Trilogy. Do those stats REALLY matter? Do you care if you choose a 2/3/2 weapon over a 3/2/2 weapon? No, you really don't, there's not enough difference to warrant that.

Basically, all I'm saying, it should be a system that's clear to the player (i.e. not AC3 stealth rules), that's not broken (i.e. a dominant strategy, and there's a dominant strategy in one mechanic or other in every AC game), and that's elegant enough to avoid redundancies.

PS. And just as I was writing that, I guess the concealment system could actually go well with the traditional outfit system, i.e. you don't ADD to your outfit a cape or a cloak or anything, you choose an outfit with a cape for example and it cloaks an element or two, so you can't go 'TAKE ALL THE THINGS AND CLOAK ALL THE THINGS!!!!'

Sushiglutton
10-24-2013, 09:22 PM
Hmm yeah it's a balancing act of giving the player enough tactical options and at the same time avoid redundancies and the assassin looking like a burro. It's not only about what the assassin caries it's also aobout how he can use his tools to interact with the world. Take for example the grappling hook in JC2 which has so many uses it carries the entire game.

Personally I prefer fewer gadgets but them to have many uses. What may be missing in AC4 (not sure if we know about everything so far) is the ability to set traps for villains. Either a tool like a tripmine or some stuff in the enviroments that could be rigged may have been nice.

Landruner
10-24-2013, 09:31 PM
To be honest, I wouldn't have minded seeing the bomb system coming back in Black Flag. ACR was the only point in the entire series where bombs were USEFUL, and I tended to use the Datura poison bombs most of all (there's just something about watching a group of guards suffering simultaneous strokes that's just so sadistically satisfying :P)

But I don't know why throwing knives are on the list, as we have seen evidence that they're in the game. In the smuggler cave demo, Edward loots a throwing knife from one of the smugglers, we even see a little knife icon in the bottom right with a number next to it, implying that we can buy/craft more, and if i remember right, i've seen a "Throwing Knife belt upgrade" in the crafting menu during one of the open world demos/sequence 3 demo.

I somewhat liked the Bombs in ACR - I did not like it at first, but after replaying the game, and messing with them I understood that you could actually make nice combo and trick to the guard, even using some for creating panic with people and finding your way to escape - I just regretted that you did not have any mission that concretely let them use them as a option. And it is not the Piri Reis tutorial mission that really convince the player to use them, and having fun with them.

I believe the problem in ACR that the interface was a bit tedious, and they were too many items for different effect that where pretty much giving the same result - My opinion is that Grenades and caltrops were actually used by pirates and it was a nice opportunity to re-introduce to bomb grafting as a optional entries, with the just option the buy the items you need for grafting or directly buy the grenades from the merchants and let to use them the way they want to use them in the gameplay. I believe with a simplified interface of 3 different type of shells, (Classic, sticky, and trap)/ 1 or 2 type of powders for the circle of range of effect / 3 strategic/tactic effects besides the smoke effect (caltrop and blood), and 2 lethal options (Poison, blast), it would have been a nice piece of addition.

adventurewomen
10-24-2013, 09:57 PM
Actually believe or not Tomahawks were used by some pirates in the Caribbean as boarding axe and naval axes
Wow I didn't know that! Awesome! Well you learn something new everyday! Thanks for letting me know! :)

Agreed! :D

My main weapons I used in AC3 & ToKW was the Tomahawk for high profile kills and Crossbow for Stelthy kills! :D

I never really used the Hidden Blade for AC3 & ToKW.

Landruner
10-24-2013, 10:11 PM

I follow up what you said about the Throwing knifes and you are apparently partially right about the knifes - It should be Throwing knifes - However, I have been told... that the throwing knifes (alas) will be only available for the hideout missions after Edward goes under water but not on other circumstances. Now, we wait the release of the game and we see what really happens.

Landruner
10-24-2013, 10:35 PM
Hmm yeah it's a balancing act of giving the player enough tactical options and at the same time avoid redundancies and the assassin looking like a burro. It's not only about what the assassin caries it's also aobout how he can use his tools to interact with the world. Take for example the grappling hook in JC2 which has so many uses it carries the entire game.

Personally I prefer fewer gadgets but them to have many uses. What may be missing in AC4 (not sure if we know about everything so far) is the ability to set traps for villains. Either a tool like a tripmine or some stuff in the enviroments that could be rigged may have been nice.

That funny that you mention just Cause and its hook because I was thinking that too, but in any AC such tool will be overused by the player and the parcourt will be gone, and it is not no one including myself really want that (AC without Parcourt will be a Superman without the Pre-fixe "Super" in front of "Man", Lol). I believe is that the good balance will be what Tomb Raider 2013 was able to produce in term of gameplay, because you could really do what you want to do to dispose of your foes. You could also combine items with your Bow and arrows to get some strategy...and also (but that it is part of the game and implanted in the gameplay) use your bow to make some zip - line's short cuts.

AssassinHMS
10-24-2013, 10:49 PM
For example, concealment. I think it's a cool idea, but things that have to be though about: a) is there a limit on how many 'concealing' outfits we can wear? b) if yes, why? c) what happens if we conceal everything, doesn't that overpower the player even greater and goes against the purpose of the system itself? d) will the guards be suspicious of a heavily concealed person? e) how to properly convey that information to the player?

I’m not talking about separate outfits that conceal different weapons. My idea is to change the main outfit in the game, more or less like in MP where each character’s outfit can be modified, only in this case for gameplay purposes and not simply for aesthetics.
I don’t understand how concealing everything would overpower the player since, in current AC games, we can walk with every weapon type available and the guards won’t even react or detect the player in the middle of a few civilians. However I already thought of two other additions that could balance this. Weight and an improved Noise Detection System. There is a weight limit that should be respected or else the assassin won’t be able to sprint and swim. Not only that but, the more weapons the assassin caries, the slower he moves and the louder his steps are. This means sneaking becomes harder if the player caries a crossbow plus a sword…This makes the player think before going assassinate a target: What should I take with me? Will I need a sword if I find myself in a battle or will I take this bow to silently kill targets from a distance and a knife for melee combat?
Also, the accessories that conceal the weapons are socially acceptable and, truth be told, I don’t even understand the question. I mean, what is better? To show off a blowpipe, some swords and guns or to conceal them with a cape, a cane and some belts?

PS. And just as I was writing that, I guess the concealment system could actually go well with the traditional outfit system, i.e. you don't ADD to your outfit a cape or a cloak or anything, you choose an outfit with a cape for example and it cloaks an element or two, so you can't go 'TAKE ALL THE THINGS AND CLOAK ALL THE THINGS!!!!'
I’m not sure I agree. I think it would be much better if you could choose the accessories and modify the outfit yourself than having a pre-established set of outfits. Besides, with all the additions that I gave here, this feature can only improve social stealth and make the player think like an assassin.

Farlander1991
10-24-2013, 11:10 PM
I don’t understand how concealing everything would overpower the player since, in current AC games, we can walk with every weapon type available and the guards won’t even react or detect the player in the middle of a few civilians.

You're missing the point. Yes, the guards don't react currently to what the player has equipped, but if we add a feature where they DO react (so the player has to be careful with what he takes with him, fixing that issue), but also add a possibility to conceal EVERYTHING, then the player can make it so the guards don't react to what the player has equipped (because everything is hidden), ergo making the whole system pointless.

Weight is a needless fix for the problem that shouldn't be there in the first place. You're adding too much detail where it's not needed. I've been there, sounds awesome and feels like everything will just fall into place, but usually it doesn't. (Of course, it's hard to say anything conclusive without actually prototyping and testing it out, everything can look both good and bad on paper).

AssassinHMS
10-24-2013, 11:30 PM
You're missing the point. Yes, the guards don't react currently to what the player has equipped, but if we add a feature where they DO react (so the player has to be careful with what he takes with him, fixing that issue), but also add a possibility to conceal EVERYTHING, then the player can make it so the guards don't react to what the player has equipped (because everything is hidden), ergo making the whole system pointless.

Ok, now I understand your point. Sure, if you have everything concealed then the guards will react as if you were just another civilian (makes sense right?). However, with the weight and improved Noise Detection systems, it wouldn't be smart to carry every weapon even if they are all concealed so the player would never feel overpowered. I simply can't find any problem with this, at least in paper.

Weight is a needless fix for the problem that shouldn't be there in the first place. You're adding too much detail where it's not needed. I've been there, sounds awesome and feels like everything will just fall into place, but usually it doesn't. (Of course, it's hard to say anything conclusive without actually prototyping and testing it out, everything can look both good and bad on paper).

It's not a fix. I had already thought about these systems in separate. I just mentioned them here because they go along really well with each other and blend perfectly while adding realism and immersion.
I don't think I'm adding to much detail. These systems would be great additions to AC as all of them would serve the main purposes of the franchise: improve the core mechanics (in this case stealth) and encourage the player to think like an assassin. I'm not adding this systems as fixes. I really think each one is important to help AC evolve.

Seriously? Wouldn't you like to choose your equipment according to your needs, to your play style and to the mission? With these features, your choices matter and you can customize, not only the assassin, but the experience as well, making it unique. They would provide immersion and make the player feel like a nimble assassin who needs to think like one in order to carry out assassination missions.

poptartz20
10-25-2013, 08:57 AM
gahh.. eff the hookblade. so dumb.

Actually none of these outside of the rope dart need to make a return in my opinion. Your weapons need to fit with the time period. :| and are unique to each character.

Landruner
10-25-2013, 03:29 PM
gahh.. eff the hookblade. so dumb.

Actually none of these outside of the rope dart need to make a return in my opinion. Your weapons need to fit with the time period. :| and are unique to each character.

The hook blade was not that dumb - it was useful for several reason ...I used a lot for my escape (Run & Roll) and in combat (Run & Throw)...beside Zip- lining - I believe in AC3 the tomahawk was the perfect candidate to reproduce the same gameplay than the Hook-blade (Meaning a tool beside being a weapon) - They just did not and missed a nice opportunity.

riftsNglyphs
10-25-2013, 06:15 PM
The hook blade was not that dumb - it was useful for several reason ...I used a lot for my escape (Run & Roll) and in combat (Run & Throw)...beside Zip- lining - I believe in AC3 the tomahawk was the perfect candidate to reproduce the same gameplay than the Hook-blade (Meaning a tool beside being a weapon) - They just did not and missed a nice opportunity.
the hookblade was gimmicky as ****. if they wanted a hook and run, you can EASILY throw away the blade and just do it with your hands. the hookblade added NOTHING that's impossible WITHOUT the hookblade and honestly zip lines were stupid and unrealistic.

as for every other weapon, those aren't 'assassin' weapons. the ONLY 'assassin' weapon is the hidden blade and we ALWAYS have that. quite whining.

Landruner
10-25-2013, 07:03 PM
the hookblade was gimmicky as ****. if they wanted a hook and run, you can EASILY throw away the blade and just do it with your hands. the hookblade added NOTHING that's impossible WITHOUT the hookblade and honestly zip lines were stupid and unrealistic.

as for every other weapon, those aren't 'assassin' weapons. the ONLY 'assassin' weapon is the hidden blade and we ALWAYS have that. quite whining.

Where do you see I am whining? If you come there for trolling you pick the wrong dude there - Just saying

Ubi-MoshiMoshi
10-26-2013, 06:35 PM
Please keep it civil.

Landruner
10-26-2013, 06:44 PM
Please keep it civil.

Thanks, but I do, (lol) that just that dude had been writing sexist comments & other trolling curses on other threads on this forum before it came to that one - so I made my point - that's all

Romtsarafo
10-27-2013, 12:42 AM
Throwing knives and rope darts are back :) saw it on some gameplay videos. You just need to purchase them.

bondboy_88
10-27-2013, 12:50 AM
Throwing knives and rope darts are back :) saw it on some gameplay videos. You just need to purchase them.

Yes I heard that the rope dart was back, however I thought the throwing knives were only available in the hideout missions where Edwards doesn't have his normal weapons.

HiddenKiller612
10-27-2013, 12:55 AM
Yes I heard that the rope dart was back, however I thought the throwing knives were only available in the hideout missions where Edwards doesn't have his normal weapons.
It looked like he just picked up an enemies dagger and threw it...

Landruner
10-27-2013, 01:06 AM
It looked like he just picked up an enemies dagger and threw it...

Perhaps, I am wrong, but I did not see them appear in other circumstances than "some circumstances" in the game - Please in order to prevent SPOILERS for anyone, PM me if otherwise. thank you

D.I.D.
10-27-2013, 03:56 AM
I don't know who this "we" is that you're talking about.

Bear in mind, this forum doesn't actually reflect the wider market very well - not even the most dedicated fans. If you look at who's posting and think about it hard, there aren't even that many regular users. The polls give you an idea of how many people are actually active.

When you go to the big gaming sites and check out their comments sections on AC news, the dominant views about the series are often very different to the prevailing opinions here. Even then it's very hard to know what's really going on, since you're not seeing the comments that people think in their heads but never submit. But if we assume that the people who really feel strongly do speak up, Revelations is not popular. AC3 arguably cops more flak, but that might be because it was the second dud in a row, or because it promised so much more than ACR did. It's really hard to tease this stuff out, but hopefully Ubisoft has much more accurate market research than any of our guesses. Ultimately, that's probably the difference between what you think "we" asked for, and what the designers discover about what has to be done.

I for one never asked for any weapon crafting, so I don't feel like I haven't been heard. I'm not clamoring for insane gadgetry, unless it really chimes with the story circumstances in some way. I certainly don't want to see the return of bombs as they were used in ACR, where even the trajectory of the bounces was plotted out for you. I'd like it if you had to use judgement to aim over distance, like in a decent FPS. I don't think there's any point in coming up with a ton of gadgets if none of them requires any particular skill to use them. AC has been chasing its tail for years in the hope of coming up with some kind of tactical weapon, and they've all failed - unless you count Leonardo's naval cannon raft, which obviously evolved into the Aquila and Jackdaw. This introduced an interesting mechanic built around using drift and steering in order to shoot without being hit. Everything else is has been a wash.

I don't care about weapons in general anymore. I don't think it's particularly worthwhile to try and fix them, because sometimes the adage is wrong - sometimes throwing enough mud at the wall never results in it sticking. So what if the main melee weapons are effectively "press X to kill"? That's okay; it doesn't have to be the whole draw. The real weapon in AC ought to be agility and, on a secondary level, use of the environment. Make approaching the target fun, and make escaping the scene exhilarating, and the game is going to be way better than its recent entries (even for the people who like them all).

phoenix-force411
10-27-2013, 04:15 AM
Throwing Knives are stealthy, so they should return. Crossbow was Iconic for Ezio, so that shouldn't come back.

Gi1t
10-27-2013, 04:32 AM
A crazy one; take a dry starfish shell; add blades at the end of the arms and your get a Shuriken (pirate's throwing starfish)

It's not crazy, as demonstrated by Gonzo in Muppet Treasure Island. XD (Of course, he's so good, he doesn't need blades on the arms to make it work.)

roostersrule2
10-27-2013, 04:35 AM
I think the Hookblade should return with an Egyptian assassin.

Call it the Hookahblade.

pirate1802
10-27-2013, 05:22 AM
Call it the Hookahblade.

lmfao

Landruner
10-27-2013, 11:10 AM
I don't know who this "we" is that you're talking about.

Bear in mind, this forum doesn't actually reflect the wider market very well - not even the most dedicated fans. If you look at who's posting and think about it hard, there aren't even that many regular users. The polls give you an idea of how many people are actually active.

When you go to the big gaming sites and check out their comments sections on AC news, the dominant views about the series are often very different to the prevailing opinions here. Even then it's very hard to know what's really going on, since you're not seeing the comments that people think in their heads but never submit. But if we assume that the people who really feel strongly do speak up, Revelations is not popular. AC3 arguably cops more flak, but that might be because it was the second dud in a row, or because it promised so much more than ACR did. It's really hard to tease this stuff out, but hopefully Ubisoft has much more accurate market research than any of our guesses. Ultimately, that's probably the difference between what you think "we" asked for, and what the designers discover about what has to be done.

I for one never asked for any weapon crafting, so I don't feel like I haven't been heard. I'm not clamoring for insane gadgetry, unless it really chimes with the story circumstances in some way. I certainly don't want to see the return of bombs as they were used in ACR, where even the trajectory of the bounces was plotted out for you. I'd like it if you had to use judgement to aim over distance, like in a decent FPS. I don't think there's any point in coming up with a ton of gadgets if none of them requires any particular skill to use them. AC has been chasing its tail for years in the hope of coming up with some kind of tactical weapon, and they've all failed - unless you count Leonardo's naval cannon raft, which obviously evolved into the Aquila and Jackdaw. This introduced an interesting mechanic built around using drift and steering in order to shoot without being hit. Everything else is has been a wash.

I don't care about weapons in general anymore. I don't think it's particularly worthwhile to try and fix them, because sometimes the adage is wrong - sometimes throwing enough mud at the wall never results in it sticking. So what if the main melee weapons are effectively "press X to kill"? That's okay; it doesn't have to be the whole draw. The real weapon in AC ought to be agility and, on a secondary level, use of the environment. Make approaching the target fun, and make escaping the scene exhilarating, and the game is going to be way better than its recent entries (even for the people who like them all).

@doubleclikTF - Bear in mind please, that your are not the only one playing those games and that some other players have also some opinions, which can be different that the ones you enjoy...
I appreciate your opinion, but perhaps, it is not also necessary to be mine and trying to make me sound like an imbecile that doesn’t know anything about how the video game industry works. I don't know perhaps I wrong, but I feel you very condescending in your reply, but also I recognize that my thread is very clumsy in its redaction vs. the poll, and I apologize for this.

My point was indeed HAVING SOME OPTIONAL and/or HAVING THE FREEDOM of CHOOSING some IMPROVED previous weapons and some new ones available for Player if he/she chooses to in order to switch it in his/her in game inventory gameplay.

(Example if you don't want the bombs, well you do not have to have them in your inventory and carry them, but you feel like you could need them in some point, well you buy them or graft them and then switch them in your inventory with sometime else). - Grenades and Caltrops were used by 17th 's pirates by the way.

Additionally, I regret to have to insist on that part, but that option and feature among some other, had been asked and talked multiple times over the past years with any artist creator that had been involved in the different games of that franchise.
Believe it or not and anyone involved in the divers development's teams for the different installments could confirm this - They heard it over and over.

///

SaraoftheSahara
01-01-2014, 11:49 AM
[QUOTE=AssassinHMS;9336663]

Ah man I remember they days of running through AC1 with only the hidden blades, back when they didn't block. Even the end bit where you ran behind a crusade war. Such a *****, but so rewarding.

Sabuto78
01-01-2014, 11:56 AM
The hidden guns were truly a slick weapon guess they match the owner ezio ftw.

But i guess each assassin will have there own "iconic" weaponry. ezio hidden gun Connor bow edward dual swords etc.

Seems the way Ubi doin it

asasinunite0965
07-14-2015, 04:43 PM
I think theres some great ideas in there and could drastically improve the game if you could craft grenades and other weapons