PDA

View Full Version : They should go back to short counter windows for the hidden blade.

LoyalACFan
10-22-2013, 01:13 AM
I know it's far too late for it to be addressed in AC4, but I feel like the hidden blade is becoming progressively less and less badass with each new installment. In AC1 you had to be DEAD-ON to get a counter-kill with it, but it was so satisfying when you figured it out and got the rhythm. In AC2 it was still pretty great, albeit slightly more forgiving. But then came ACB... and ACR... where you were given an extremely generous window to counter. AC3 was the worst offender, since it literally makes zero difference whether you're using the HB's, fists, tomahawk or sword.

I don't even think the combat system needs to be rebuilt or anything, it's just that the huge counter windows kind of ruin the exotic coolness factor of the hidden blades when you can get a perfect kill with them every single time without even really trying. Just tap O as soon as an enemy starts an attack, and you've killed him.

Mr_Shade
10-22-2013, 01:15 AM
Have you played AC4?

the combat timings have changed..?

pacmanate
10-22-2013, 01:24 AM
Have you played AC4?

So we have combat windows?!

Mr_Shade
10-22-2013, 01:26 AM
So we have combat windows?!nah, more like patio doors..

tbh many people who have played the game, have found it's very different from AC3 - no more (counter) kill (counter) kill..

but I'm sure they will post ;)

ladyleonhart
10-22-2013, 01:26 AM
Actually, in ACIV it's not so easy to kill with the hidden blade in combat.

Mr_Shade
10-22-2013, 01:27 AM
And.... As if by magic ;)

Wolfmeister1010
10-22-2013, 01:29 AM
I have also played as well. While it is not quite back to AC1 level of difficulty for counters, it certainly is quite more difficult.

LoyalACFan
10-22-2013, 01:31 AM
Have you played AC4?

No, but I've spoken to people who've played it at expos, and mostly they say it's essentially like AC3's combat with some refinements. That's certainly what it looks like in previews. I don't know, maybe Edward was on god mode with all upgrades or something during those hands-on demos? Or it was just early code? I mean, don't get me wrong, a refined version of AC3 combat is totally fine; I generally loved AC3's fights, except for the way the hidden blade was implemented. I just miss the novelty of a well-timed Altair kill.

Either way, I guess I'll see in a week, eh?

Wolfmeister1010
10-22-2013, 01:34 AM
No, but I've spoken to people who've played it at expos, and mostly they say it's essentially like AC3's combat with some refinements. That's certainly what it looks like in previews. I don't know, maybe Edward was on god mode with all upgrades or something during those hands-on demos? Or it was just early code? I mean, don't get me wrong, a refined version of AC3 combat is totally fine; I generally loved AC3's fights, except for the way the hidden blade was implemented. I just miss the novelty of a well-timed Altair kill.

Either way, I guess I'll see in a week, eh?

Well how can you tell if the counter windows are shorter just by watching a video? They could just be nailing them every time. You are damn right you will see in a week. Oh gurl u dam right

pacmanate
10-22-2013, 01:35 AM
Well when the

http://www.leekrecipes.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/leeks.jpg

comes out, I will judge.

Wolfmeister1010
10-22-2013, 01:37 AM
best post I have seen all week.

LoyalACFan
10-22-2013, 01:37 AM
Well how can you tell if the counter windows are shorter just by watching a video? They could just be nailing them every time. You are damn right you will see in a week. Oh gurl u dam right

As bad as that German guy was, I'd say the windows have to be pretty generous for him to have hit any of them at all. :p

pacmanate
10-22-2013, 01:38 AM
Are you sure they are leeks...? They look more like spring onions. :p

These are spring onions

http://nuwildroots.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/springonionramrod.jpg

I guess they look like leeks, but they are thinner

pacmanate
10-22-2013, 01:42 AM
Ooo I love spring onion rolls from the Chinese takeaways!

And Indian spring rolls, they are brill.

Wolfmeister1010
10-22-2013, 01:43 AM
Ooo I love spring onion rolls from the Chinese takeaways!

China sends us russians free egg rolls since 1972

pacmanate
10-22-2013, 01:45 AM
Lol, seriously?? :p

I know what spring onions are... Tough crowd. ;)

So why did you say my vegetable was a spring onion :rolleyes:

Wolfmeister1010
10-22-2013, 01:46 AM
And Vladmir Putin sends them back as a token of his gratitude - albeit radioactive.

No we lace them with small bits of crack to ensure that china keeps doing crazy ****

pacmanate
10-22-2013, 01:49 AM
It's not my fault if you don't understand. :rolleyes:

:p man this has made me hungry

TheDanteEX
10-22-2013, 05:29 AM
If it were up to me, I'd either shorten the counter window drastically, or I would slightly shorten the counter window and add a penalty for pressing the counter button too early. I'd also remove the slow-mo.

Farlander1991
10-22-2013, 07:36 AM
If it were up to me, I'd either shorten the counter window drastically, or I would slightly shorten the counter window and add a penalty for pressing the counter button too early. I'd also remove the slow-mo.

You can't remove slo-mo from the counter window, because slo-mo is NOT part of the counter window ;) Slo-mo is the 'select your action' part AFTER the counter window (which is when enemies, well, attack) during which you've successfully pressed 'counter'.

TheDanteEX
10-22-2013, 08:14 AM
That's what I meant; pardon the lack of clarity. That's why I sort of mentioned it as an extra change I'd make to the overall combat system. When it comes to the counter window, though, you shouldn't be able to hit the button before an enemy even begins swinging their weapon.

luckyto
10-22-2013, 03:26 PM
Yes.

Sushiglutton
10-22-2013, 05:52 PM
Yeah I think that would be in order. I mostly want more moves and interesting ways to combine them though.

People who has played the game frequently claim AC4's combat is more difficult than 3's. But noone has been able to explain why. Here's your chance! *hands over mic*

xboxauditore
10-22-2013, 05:56 PM
nah, more like patio doors..

tbh many people who have played the game, have found it's very different from AC3 - no more (counter) kill (counter) kill..

but I'm sure they will post ;)

YES!!!

http://www.teen.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/tumblr_mdjlzxOs7D1r1e0511.gif

pacmanate
10-22-2013, 07:56 PM
YES!!!

http://www.teen.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/tumblr_mdjlzxOs7D1r1e0511.gif

This is actually quiet hypnotic