PDA

View Full Version : Skipping Scenes on First Playthrough for Assassin's Creed III....

phoenix-force411
10-21-2013, 04:43 AM
I won't lie, but I skipped a lot of scenes within ACIII during the Main Story line on my first playthrough. ACIII's cutscenes weren't very engaging, but I never skipped any scene that did mean a lot or were good. I liked the Homestead missions, and so I never skipped those.

But I want to know, who here skipped cutscenes on their first playthrough?

STDlyMcStudpants
10-21-2013, 05:48 AM
I play games for 1 of 3 things
Either their trophies, their story, or both.
The games I play for trophies usually don't have cut scenes, but if they do I watch them no matter what.
I'm a story gamer and you sound insane to me lol especially skipping a cutscene in AC of all games.
But eh we are all different...some game for mechanics, some for MP, some for challenge.
I play games for the mystery.

phoenix-force411
10-21-2013, 05:56 AM
I like Assassin's Creed, but I guess it was just the representation of ACIII for me that didn't engage me well enough to not skip cutscenes. Of course, I did eventually had to beat the game three times, because of bugs and glitches. I did rewatch them completely, but I skip a lot of Seq. 1 cutscenes.

pirate1802
10-21-2013, 06:20 AM
I won't lie, but I skipped a lot of scenes within ACIII during the Main Story line on my first playthrough.

Heathen.

I play games for 1 of 3 things
Either their trophies, their story, or both.

What if a game has awesome gameplay but crap story?

Shahkulu101
10-21-2013, 06:26 AM

Then you trudge along, like I did with Far Cry 3 and Assassin's Creed: Brother-for-kids.

pacmanate
10-21-2013, 09:04 AM
Why on earth would you skip the story :|

adventurewomen
10-21-2013, 10:07 AM
No I didn't skip any cutscenes in the first play through of AC3 I watched all of the cutscenes I didn't feel the urge to skip them. I just don't like to miss out on the story, even if I'm replaying the game I like to watch the cutscenes. No point in rushing to play AC3 when you won't appreciate or truely understand the story if you skip cutscenes.

I'm just going to say this and just be comepletly honest, phoenix-force you're missing out on important story information. I reccomend playing AC3 watching all the cutscenes the story is worth it trust me.

ace3001
10-21-2013, 12:09 PM
I won't lie, but I skipped a lot of scenes within ACIII during the Main Story line on my first playthrough. ACIII's cutscenes weren't very engaging, but I never skipped any scene that did mean a lot or were good. I liked the Homestead missions, and so I never skipped those.

I don't ever skip cutscenes unless it's a second attempt. Not just for AC, but anything. Just a habit of mine.

derage88
10-21-2013, 12:10 PM
I don't skip cutscenes unless I've seen them before, how could you also say that cinematics aren't engaging if you haven't seen the entire scene? For all you know some boring scene can turn into an action battle setup and you would never know it because you skipped it before it happened.

derage88
10-21-2013, 12:17 PM
Also I don't like it if the game is just walking from A to B without any explanation on why I'm doing so, if I just do it with skipping all content I could just as well play WoW :rolleyes:

Mr_Shade
10-21-2013, 12:56 PM

how do you know they 'weren't very engaging' - if you skipped them?

Most of the story - you also skipped then.. ?

ladyleonhart
10-21-2013, 01:20 PM

^ Exactly this.

To me, story is everything. It adds to the immersion and is usually what makes me want to continue playing a game to see the outcome. Of course, no story is perfect and you may not always agree with the direction it takes, but you are being told a story. Then, no, I never skip cut-scenes on my first play-through for any game, and I think it would make the story feel rather disjointed like reading a book and skipping a few pages before you start reading again.

pacmanate
10-21-2013, 01:34 PM
A good thing for OP however, is that Darby or Ashraf said their are less cutscenes than AC3 and more story is told through gameplay. I like cutscenes, but I like how the story will be involved in gameplay now aswell.

pirate1802
10-21-2013, 01:36 PM
Then you trudge along, like I did with Far Cry 3 and Assassin's Creed: Brother-for-kids.

farcry 3 had crap story? I'm talking about really crappy stories. Not so-so stories. What I want to know is, I've seen people say that they forgive really cappy gameplay if the story is billiant enough. But does it work in the opposite direction too?

pacmanate
10-21-2013, 01:39 PM
farcry 3 had crap story? I'm talking about really crappy stories. Not so-so stories. What I want to know is, I've seen people say that they forgive really cappy gameplay if the story is billiant enough. But does it work in the opposite direction too?

If there is good gameplay but a bad story then no thanks.

Sushiglutton
10-21-2013, 02:07 PM
Haha I watched them all. When I replayed some of the missions for Frlanders blog stuff I sometimes skipped the cutscenes. Playing AC3 missions without cutscenes was a very odd experience. They melted together like a snow ball in hell exposing their emptiness :(.

phoenix-force411
10-21-2013, 03:23 PM
I went to go rewatch them through my forced second gameplay, because of bugs when the game first came out. I guess I was just anxious when the game came out. I only watched certain scenes to get an idea of them and then I skipped them. ACIII sort of had too many cutscenes, and although I do play Mass Effect which has a lot more, I didn't find some of ACIII's cutscenes to be entirely engaging.

phoenix-force411
10-21-2013, 03:25 PM
Lolz, anxiousness to get to Connor kinda led me to that, but even from there, I still had the urge to skip some.

STDlyMcStudpants
10-21-2013, 08:27 PM
Heathen.

If it has trophies then ill play it lol if it doesnt then ill skip it.
Im a plat master..if I can Platinum games like Catherine and Gran Turismo 5..then any game can fit into the "For it's Trophies" category hahaha
There are awesome PC exclusive games out there (love tycoon types) but i cant get trophies sooo pc has to wait until i catch up on my back log :D

But by saying "Crap story" if it had a story at all and looked fun id give it a try still.
But looking fun and lack of story and trophies = no... lol
I'm weird..I know ;)

I've Played Condemned 2 - Not fun, no trophies, but scared the crap out of me
Eternal Sonata - not fun, no trophies, great story
Folklore - fun - no trophies - horrible story (but still had one)
Playstation All-Stars - Boring - Trophies- horrible story
haha
I play mixes :P

Toa TAK
10-21-2013, 08:32 PM
I never skip cutscenes on my first playthrough of any game.

ACIII's story was probably one of my favorites as well (Connor wise), even when I do go back, I don't skip them often.

Assassin_M
10-21-2013, 08:34 PM
I NEVER skip scenes in a story driven game. That's just playing games 101 for me. it's a rule. It only happened once with me and I don't mean any insult, OP...but I was pretty young.

No matter how boring a scene seems or lagging in narrative...I never skip. I'm giving the game I bought a chance to make me like it...if I end up skipping scenes and then not liking the game, I can only blame myself...I make sure I get the full experience so that I can properly criticize a game.