PDA

View Full Version : Peoples quick thoughts on the new variety?

Localist2012
10-18-2013, 11:56 PM
Haven't seen a thread on this yet, although I'm not sure how many actually know.

So after watching Loomer's latest video, he explains that there is now only ONE variety bonus and no more greater and extreme etc. This bonus is worth 400 points and you can only get it once per game. That's as far as I understood anyhow.

Personally, I think this is a good thing. Going to be lovely not getting shot for crazy points and will greatly reduce being chase killed for crazy points too.

Anyway, quick thoughts guys?

loomer979
10-19-2013, 12:08 AM
To add a little more, you have to get 4 of the 6 following bonuses: hidden, grab, bench, acrobatic, focus, chain. No other bonuses count towards variety.

You can also get a partial focus now (1/3 the points when the meter is filled halfway). I'm not sure if it counts towards variety but right now I assume it does.

EldestPainter
10-19-2013, 12:32 AM
To add a little more, you have to get 4 of the 6 following bonuses: hidden, grab, bench, acrobatic, focus, chain. No other bonuses count towards variety.

You can also get a partial focus now (1/3 the points when the meter is filled halfway). I'm not sure if it counts towards variety but right now I assume it does.

I like the idea of removing the varieties - I'm curious if you had any info about the streaks in ac4?

I love the partial focus bonus too! That is a terrific idea that will hopefully provide enough incentive for people to try and slow down and take their time with a kill. It seems the devs may be trying to put more of a focus on quality kills rather than quick kills for bonuses.

Metalsnake27
10-19-2013, 12:51 AM
I personally think it's a REALLY good change.

AC3's variety was a JOKE, it was an idiot's race to EV in pretty much every match, everyone running around going crazy with pistol kills and getting that lucky poacher savior grouned focus hidden kill to get EV. In fact, one of my biggest complaints in AC3 was how stupid Variety was.

Now variety, still takes a bit of luck, but I feel with this one it's pretty much only the bonuses that you can force yourself, minus stun I wish that counted still but oh well.

400 points vs 1200 points is huge, but AC3 I felt, was pretty much HUGELY based on whoever got EV the fastest, and it was doable by everyone because of how easy it was. Especially in a mode like DM, whoever got First Blood obtained a HUGE lead at the start of the game, because he has 1 extra bonus nobody else has.

Just my thoughts, I love the new variety change and I can't wait to see how it's going to affect things.

Localist2012
10-19-2013, 01:11 AM

Good additions indeed !

I'm especially pleased with the partial focus ^^

Scorch91
10-19-2013, 02:18 AM
Really good change! The variety bonus in ac3 made you go non-stealthy. It also forced people to change ability sets to use all ability varieties, which is kind of gimmicky. Also things like Poacher bonuses was totally luck dependant, not good. As it is now, it remains stealthy and is not over the top.

Also, kill streaks are better now in my opinion. Fills up with 2 for every silent kill, and 1 for every regular kill.

bolz87
10-19-2013, 10:27 AM
OMG FINALLY a real good thing from multiplayer!

Ferrith
10-19-2013, 02:13 PM
I like the changes they did in how variety works and the bonuses needed.

SixKeys
10-19-2013, 02:39 PM
For 400 points it's hardly even worth going for variety anymore.

SquirrelInDaSky
10-20-2013, 02:35 PM
I assume there is also going to be less shots fired by people craving for easy variety points. Not a bad change.
However 400 points doesn't sound like a worthy reward. Grab kills and Bench kills are quite situational. On the other hand, bench kills are going to get a bit more popular as people will try to go for variety (haven't seen a bench kill since ACR)

metalgearso1971
10-20-2013, 05:09 PM
If aerial kills don't count as a variety anymore, good. That will teach those roof bunnies :)

Having that said, EV was indeed quite easy to get in AC3, especially in team modes. Quite curious how this change will turn out :)

trikky d
10-21-2013, 04:48 AM
I personally think it's a REALLY good change.

AC3's variety was a JOKE, it was an idiot's race to EV in pretty much every match, everyone running around going crazy with pistol kills and getting that lucky poacher savior grouned focus hidden kill to get EV. In fact, one of my biggest complaints in AC3 was how stupid Variety was.

Now variety, still takes a bit of luck, but I feel with this one it's pretty much only the bonuses that you can force yourself, minus stun I wish that counted still but oh well.

While stuns are not being counted, you'll still need to stun to get the Chain bonus. Since chases & escapes have been removed, there's no other way to do it.

Agree with your assessment of AC3 varieties.

It seems like the devs are really trying to strip back bonuses and simplify the scoring in the game. I think it's going to work really well.

DivineSerenity
10-21-2013, 08:11 AM
this makes aa and domination more objective based than before because how could you get a focus or even benchkill bonus in aa? unless you use osb which is doubtful because of its delay now (which is a good thing). so aa and dom are ALL about artifacts and bases now, no one cares for points in these modes anymore

DomdudeDaGreat
10-21-2013, 08:12 AM
While stuns are not being counted, you'll still need to stun to get the Chain bonus. Since chases & escapes have been removed, there's no other way to do it.

Or u could kill many targets...

Roof_polishER
10-21-2013, 11:17 AM
Guys I think you should take a look at this...
https://twitter.com/DamienKieken/status/391749265254780928

CasualCreed
10-21-2013, 03:24 PM
Guys I think you should take a look at this...
https://twitter.com/DamienKieken/status/391749265254780928

Interesting! :)

luckyto
10-21-2013, 03:54 PM
Mixed emotions. I kind of think it's a wash. The top half of the lobby will get it the same way the top half of the lobby gets it in AC3. My quick thoughts:

The bonuses seem very situational, and I wonder if this will even be possible in some modes like AA (not that that's bad.)
Bench kills are very situational, but you can bet that nobody will walk anywhere near a bench after six weeks. I'd rather like to see "bench/haybale" kills just to add more options.
The partial focus is interesting. Wonder how this will work out --- it could be a really good change.
I personally enjoy rolling through ability sets trying to pull all the bonuses. I've been doing it since Brotherhood, and encourages me to use a variety of bonuses. But like Squirrel pointed out, it is the only time I will use a gun - and so I won't be using it just for that variety again. Bad. Good.
I miss escapes already.
Variety was very luck-dependent, and this variety does seem to focus on actions by the player. In theory that's good.

I think I would have just been happy if they upped the ante, but I may end up liking this change. It does HEAVILY WEIGHT Silent and Incognito. That, I do like.

via Twitter ... Damien Kierken: One little precision, as soon as you reach a variety bonus you can do another one by cumulating again the bonuses.

Now that is cool. So there will always be incentive to keep getting Incognitos and Silents.

alexbentley
10-21-2013, 09:55 PM
This is probably the change I'm most happy with in AC4. I think it gives a much needed incentive for stealthy play and the bonuses aren't too situational for it to be impossible to get. Getting hidden, acrobatic, focus and chain should be quite doable when playing well. The other two mainly require being in the right place at the right time (especially bench kills), but overall I think this is a much needed change. Good work, devs! :>

luckyto
10-21-2013, 10:20 PM
At first glance, the ability to keep stacking variety is what really makes a difference in encouraging "variety." Probably the most positive change I've seen.

ColdKill18
10-22-2013, 07:23 PM
Mixed emotions. I kind of think it's a wash. The top half of the lobby will get it the same way the top half of the lobby gets it in AC3.
Yes they will, but in order to do so they'll have to use (kind of) different techniques throughout the whole game, which definitely is something positive.

The bonuses seem very situational, and I wonder if this will even be possible in some modes like AA (not that that's bad.)Yep, but as you've pointed out: That's not bad, since AA or domination don't have scores as their main objective.

I'd rather like to see "bench/haybale" kills just to add more options.
Great idea, really like it ! Would be cool if bushes and those fountains found in the SP would exist in the MP, too. (I know bushes existed in ACB)

I miss escapes already.
I guess everyone does. It's really annoying, and a really big deal in wanted and manhunt.

Variety was very luck-dependent, and this variety does seem to focus on actions by the player. In theory that's good.
Yep, once again, let's see how it works out ^^

Now that is cool. So there will always be incentive to keep getting Incognitos and Silents.
True.

AvK KiNgKoBrA
10-22-2013, 09:42 PM
this makes aa and domination more objective based than before because how could you get a focus or even benchkill bonus in aa? unless you use osb which is doubtful because of its delay now (which is a good thing). so aa and dom are ALL about artifacts and bases now, no one cares for points in these modes anymore

Since when has AA been about getting points?