PDA

View Full Version : AC III horrendous frame rates on AMD GPUs, still happening?

ace3001
10-18-2013, 06:54 PM
^ Thread title.
After many years, I've returned to the Red team, and instantly, I am met with horrible frame rates in Boston, which I heard of back when the game was released, but didn't come across since I was on the Green team then.

Specs:
Core i5-4430 CPU
Radeon HD 7750 GPU
4GB DDR3 RAM

Game is updated to 1.06.

No matter how much I lower the graphic settings, framerate in Boston is horrendous, sometimes even dipping lower than 15 FPS. However, until I got to Boston, it played very smoothly.

So, basically, are we to assume that there never will be a fix for this? I really hope that AC IV doesn't suffer the same fate.

MasterZone
10-20-2013, 09:21 AM
They STILL have not fixed the draw distance problem with the NPC's popping in and out 3 feet away from you, and how NPC's clothes change in to completely different clothes the closer you get...

HypeR.tgL
10-20-2013, 10:18 AM
It's more on the CPU than it is the GPU. The frame rate drop is due to the sheer amount of NPCs partly as well as the VERY HIGH setting for shadows, but that's just from my observation.
If I turned the shadow setting from VERY HIGH to HIGH, I'd get a 1-10 frame rate increase throughout the whole game, from Frontier to Cities.

I'm hopeful that Ubisoft fix the issue for AC IV, because once that's out, I don't think I'm going to touch AC III for another year lol.

ace3001
10-20-2013, 04:22 PM
It's more on the CPU than it is the GPU. The frame rate drop is due to the sheer amount of NPCs partly as well as the VERY HIGH setting for shadows, but that's just from my observation.
If I turned the shadow setting from VERY HIGH to HIGH, I'd get a 1-10 frame rate increase throughout the whole game, from Frontier to Cities.

I'm hopeful that Ubisoft fix the issue for AC IV, because once that's out, I don't think I'm going to touch AC III for another year lol.No, it's definitely GPU. I didn't have this frame rate drop when I tried a GeForce GTX 650 (everything else in my PC the same, and same settings). However, I will try reducing the shadow setting. On an NVIDIA card, it doesn't have to be reduced, but if this fixes the mess to some degree on the AMD card, it's better than nothing.

adventurewomen
10-20-2013, 04:30 PM
Lower your anti-aliasing quality rates to High or Normal to fix this issue with frame rates..

ace3001
10-20-2013, 06:07 PM
Lower your anti-aliasing quality rates to High or Normal to fix this issue with frame rates..
That was the first thing I reduced.

Mr_Shade
10-20-2013, 06:11 PM
That was the first thing I reduced.
If you are still having issues - after trying fixes that work for others, you should also be talking to support - after updating drivers etc [which I assume you have done?]

www.support.ubi.com

TheLeoCrow
10-20-2013, 06:49 PM
Well, i have a Core i5 2500K, Radeon HD 6770 and 8Gb ram and with shaddows lowered i never got under 45-50 fps in boston. Shaddows seem to be the problem, because with them on full i do get terrible fps.
Also make sure to close as many background applications as possible (if possible only leave your antivirus running and close everything else). Browsers with many tabs open are the worst, close them and your fps will get higher

Anykeyer
10-21-2013, 05:44 PM
Why dont you contact AMD and ask them when they are gonna release decent drivers?
Game developer should try really hard to make that kind of difference using the same rendering techniques through standard API like DirectX.