PDA

View Full Version : Great game but massive flaws.

dazzy1984
10-18-2013, 01:02 PM
Recently started playing this game and for a free to play game its pretty decent and the whole idea of it is great.

But I have noticed several flaws that would really piss you off if you purchased it and is what is actually stopping me from buying any more gold coins with real money.

A)Dash boarders. Why is it when someone dashboards you get penalised for it at the same time? Theirs obviously a way to detect who has done it because Black ops 2 incorporates it.

B)Spam spam and yet more spam not just from real people online but also the actual CPU. Some CPU fights you have to resort to using spam yourself otherwise the CPU will just keep comboing you with no way to block until you fall down then it continues until you are dead. The online players are not much better if you come across an opponent with a spear theirs a very good chance no matter how good you are you will lose the battle to spam. The weapons need more balance.

C)The price of things is ridiculous I bought 50 gold coins within buying a few things it was more or less gone and the options of choice for gold coins is not just ridiculous but god damn greedy who in the right mind is going to spend 100+?

D)Lag=Unplayable at times I have been in a match a few times where it has frozen and next thing im dead or no matter how many times my weapon hits it does not register.

E)The loading times are appalling its like being back in the PS1 days with Blood omen legacy of kain every door a 10 second load but this game its more like a 3 min load per match if you can not fix that at least give us the option of a rematch straight away after losing to a CPU match to avoid having to go through the load screens again.

All in all the game is good but my points above somewhat kill it a lot.

Averam
10-21-2013, 06:37 PM
Recently started playing this game and for a free to play game its pretty decent and the whole idea of it is great.

But I have noticed several flaws that would really piss you off if you purchased it and is what is actually stopping me from buying any more gold coins with real money.

A)Dash boarders. Why is it when someone dashboards you get penalised for it at the same time? Theirs obviously a way to detect who has done it because Black ops 2 incorporates it.

B)Spam spam and yet more spam not just from real people online but also the actual CPU. Some CPU fights you have to resort to using spam yourself otherwise the CPU will just keep comboing you with no way to block until you fall down then it continues until you are dead. The online players are not much better if you come across an opponent with a spear theirs a very good chance no matter how good you are you will lose the battle to spam. The weapons need more balance.

C)The price of things is ridiculous I bought 50 gold coins within buying a few things it was more or less gone and the options of choice for gold coins is not just ridiculous but god damn greedy who in the right mind is going to spend 100+?

D)Lag=Unplayable at times I have been in a match a few times where it has frozen and next thing im dead or no matter how many times my weapon hits it does not register.

E)The loading times are appalling its like being back in the PS1 days with Blood omen legacy of kain every door a 10 second load but this game its more like a 3 min load per match if you can not fix that at least give us the option of a rematch straight away after losing to a CPU match to avoid having to go through the load screens again.

All in all the game is good but my points above somewhat kill it a lot.

A) I agree with this entirely, it is ludicrous that honest players get penalised because the other player quits mid match. And given the unreliability of the games servers, maybe Ubisoft should think about removing the penalty all together, at least until the issue is fixed and sorted to ONLY penalise the quitter?

B) Simple - block/dodge/roll, wait for an opening and then own their ***. A spammer will lose to a skillful player no problem. And personally I can't say I've noticed the AI players ever resorting to spamming.

C) Gold in this game is a shortcut, nothing else - it allows you to buy gear 3-5 levels above your own, and some cosmetic stuff like the 4th and above layers for your banner. With a bit of patience you don't actually need to spend any gold, as once you reach the appropriate level the vast majority of items become available for silver. The only exception to this AFAIK are Legendary Gladiators, which never become purchaseable for silver.

D) Yeah the lag is indeed ludicrous. My favourite example is when your character just freezes, leaving you completely open to get wailed on by whoever you're fighting while you're hammering away on the pad with absolutely no on-screen response.

E) Disagree with this, the loading times are nowhere near as excessive as you describe. They're short in comparison with even some modern games, like Skyrim (when installed to the HD for comparison).

just4fete
10-23-2013, 06:06 AM
Not sure if you're trolling for a response given your position on spammers, but seeing as much of your review mirrors mine I guess I'll take the bait...

A: I haven't had much of a problem with the dash boarding players lately - maybe it's starting to die down a bit or maybe I've just been fortunate enough to play a lot more honest players. Still, I feel like it's worth mentioning that at least 1 player seems to do this fairly regularly. (Unfortunately he's also the #1 player on the season leader board for the Xbox realm.) I'm probably a combined 2-20 against M4xAssassin, but his connection always seems to fail if I'm in control of the match. The guy is crazy good, outranks me by 15 levels, and somehow still finds it acceptable to bail out if he's losing. There's something wrong with that idea - especially given the number of tournament points I've "donated" to his cause simply by playing an honest game and accepting death!

B: The layout of this game DOES seem to encourage spamming attacks. Like you said, even the CPU can force you to spam in an offline game in order to survive. That idea reinforces that spamming is somewhat OK during an online match - the rookie players just bring to the table what they've learned while learning the game controls and what they have found to be successful. But that doesn't necessarily mean that they need to be banned from play!

Lagging or not, I've found that rolling is a VERY effective way to counter an X or Y happy player and break their rhythm. Again, it's usually the overly aggressive players that tend to complain about the spamming issue. If you can't make the necessary adjustments to give yourself advantage in the match then you simply DON"T deserve to win. No matter how many patches come through, there will always be spammers!

C: Gold is indeed overpriced, and the thought of forfeiting a cash bought gold level gladiator due to lag, lost connection, or quitters also deters me from investing more money in this game at this time. Possibly I will reconsider if the disconnection issues are fixed, but for now you can count me in as playing an all silver bought lineup when it comes to online play.

D: Not sure why, but I really only ever tend to freeze up while playing against dual swords. Not my weapon of choice by far, but I imagine that there are more than a few DS players that deal with this far more frequently than they'd like!

E: I don't have a problem with the loading times, although they should probably be made faster while playing through the "story line."

Again, feel free to agree or disagree as you wish. I look forward to killing you soon!

Averam
10-23-2013, 08:53 AM
Not sure if you're trolling for a response given your position on spammers

Why would I be trolling? I just genuinely do not have issues beating people that spam single attacks, I find them easy to overcome. Yes, it means I have to alter my usual style of play to incorporate more defensive play, dodging and rolling and such, but still it's not exactly difficult.

just4fete
10-24-2013, 04:33 AM
Averam - not at all accusing you of trolling. You and I seem to see eye to eye on just about everything listed here.

Feel free to check out my original post from 10/ 16 here:

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/801103-Addictive-but-NOT-without-flaws

I think that pretty well sums it up!

xXMrShowXx
10-24-2013, 06:44 PM
Why would I be trolling? I just genuinely do not have issues beating people that spam single attacks, I find them easy to overcome. Yes, it means I have to alter my usual style of play to incorporate more defensive play, dodging and rolling and such, but still it's not exactly difficult.

You are OBVIOUSLY under level 30. Reason no.1 being your statement about items, the majority of the ones that are actually an improvement cost gold, so you'll play every day for a week without getting enough levels to get an upgrade that costs silver.

Reason no.2 spammers cannot be beaten at later levels, people stack gear that gives +4 attack speed, so that's +12 attack speed just from the chest legs and feet alone, Depending on the gladiator, they can get +6 attack speed from a weapon. so that's +18, get hurried butcher, +4 =+22 jupiters luck, that gives another 2 at least, so that's +24. Frenzy of the crowd = +26, get jupiter's might for the +10 dmg, and another hurried butcher so that's +30 attack speed. Up plus Triangle or Y attack the whole game, and you win. Congrats.

Don't tell me you can beat that because you can't. They attack so fast that your defense is gone in less than 5 seconds and you are getting it until you die. Try and roll and they're hitting you anyway because they aren't some idiotic quick attack spammer.

just4fete
10-25-2013, 03:10 AM
xXMrShowXx:

I suppose that the "gold vs silver" debate really depends on how hell bent you are on being a top tier player, and how quickly you'd like to get there. I'm currently a level 35 player with entirely purple gear with a stable of purple / blue gladiators. (Depending on how often I'm killed off of course!) I have no aspiration or desire to be THE champion of fictional online Capua, nor am I willing to pay an exorbitant amount of real world currency to compete with those that do. For players like me, and I assume Averam as well, it's OK to spend a little extra time actually playing the game rather than whipping out a credit card to secure a few wins. It doesn't really bother ME (the casual gamer) that I might need a week or 2 in order to change gold items into a silver exchange rate.

A few extra matches and a few extra perkless gladiators sent to die in the tournament really doesn't bother me too much. That being said, I won't deny that I took advantage of the 50% off gold sale a few weeks ago - and I bought in at the top. $75 for 3000 gold is far more reasonable for a game that I've found to enjoy rather than the standard $150! So basically I told Ubisoft, "Hey, I like your game. I would have paid money for it if it were released to stores, but I'm not willing to pay a stupid amount of money while you get this thing going." (In case you are wondering, I still have 2672 gold remaining in my bank while I wait for more appealing gear.)

In regard to the spammers:

Again, I don't have issues with this but I feel like you may have a valid point. (At least to some degree.) I've always been under the impression that the lvl 50 players I encounter are just far better than I am. Better gear. More Exp. Etc. Honestly, I don't CARE if I die to a higher ranked player, or even their stud Gold gladiator that has 5000 wins more than me. But I DO love the idea of an "exhaustion" meter for the quick button players that only spam 1 attack again and again. I don't think it will happen, but it's a great thought. In the meantime, I guess spammers of any level will just have to be accepted for what they are. Maybe I'm far too accepting of this idea having played Mortal Kombat against my little brother for over a decade - but nothing's going to change anytime soon.

I never have problems with the spamming group until I start to play their game. Granted, I'm OK with dying and haven't invested a lot of gold in my players, but I do find it hilarious when some guy brings XXX at me and quits when I break out the up Y retort. It's the quitters that I hate most of all - especially given how many times I die over and over again simply because that's the risk you take by playing online. (And the hate mail! LORD do I have some hate mail!) I'm supposed to let you spam kill me time and time again while 15 levels above me, but you can't take the burden of 1 death if I get lucky and get my timing right? C'mon now - that's just silly.

So to recap, here's my thoughts going forward:

1. Fix the dashboarding / quitting problem.
2. Make gold a more reasonable cost. (Read:slash it in half for good!)
3. Consider a stamina bar for quick attack players to worry about / consider.

xXMrShowXx
10-25-2013, 05:57 PM
Gold isn't that big of an issue anymore. It used to be before they started the gold reward for 1st place in toury's. At level 35 you should be realizing that from level 30, to 35, you get nothing except unlocks for items that cost gold (no way to purchase them with silver) once you hit 35, you start getting some, but it's the same thing at level 20-25 too. For me, it was stupid. It's not about having the best gear. It's about having a little upgrade every level to keep you interested. Not going a whole week of casual playing to get those 5 levels and to start unlocking more gear.

F2P game creation 101. Keep players interested til' end-game level, then start charging them IRL money to be the best. Not have half, if not more, of items that are unlocked per level, cost real money (ABSURD AMOUNT) past level 20.

just4fete
10-26-2013, 03:32 AM
I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head. Since I started playing a little more regularly once the tournament format began, I really can't relate to the idea of farming my way through a ton of "mystery opponents" just to try and level up. I'm somewhat content to survive the weekly tournament and log a top 10 finish if possible. (No gold there, but it's a decent enough goal and hopefully will provide some gold at the conclusion of the season!) Without the tourneys I would have likely quit as well.

Moses.
12-11-2013, 07:46 AM
My biggest issue is the fact you get punished if someone quits a fight on you, I've lost about 7 gladiators now including ones I've spent gold on and I'm pretty pissed off about it... WTF is the point of putting time in getting things like perks and getting decent gladiators that require gold when you're just going to lose them when someone quits or has network issues..

Whoever thought of that rule to punish both people for someone quitting a fight needs to be and go work at a Mc Donalds or something cause that is just ******ed. (no offence to people who work at Micky D's)

Richc42
12-11-2013, 03:40 PM
I've had guys quit on me what seems like over 100 times and I'm only a level 30 and have about 600 more loses then wins. When this happens I have lost my fighter only a couple of times and that happened just recently, which may be another issue. Are you waiting until you see the "lost connection to other player" or is it possible that u have a weak connection and the signal was lost on YOUR end? I had a loss of power once while playing and on that occasion when I got back in my gladiator was lost but all other times when a player quit on me my Glad was still there until like I said just recently. Not sure what is going on the last few days but EVERY time I go back in the Glad I previously fought with is gone. Doesn't matter if the last match was on-line, off-line a win or a loss. Am I the only one with this issue?

xMiiSTY
12-20-2013, 09:22 PM
Hello everyone, if you are having issues with our game, please contact our Customer Support here: http://www.ubi.com/US/Support/InternationalSupport.aspx

~MiiSTY