PDA

View Full Version : Why is the Ezio saga regarded as a spinoff?

TheElderSons
10-17-2013, 11:16 PM
I was simply wondering. Most people seem to think of Brotherhood and Revelations as optional, secondary installments, and inferior/not as important as numbered installments of the series. But, I, personally, see them as exceedingly important, and equal to numbered installations, in that the advance the story of the game and explain and expand on ideas and topics introduced in previous games.

Thoughts?

pacmanate
10-17-2013, 11:19 PM
It's because of their development. AC:B was supposed to part of AC2 (or parts of it anyway), and AC:R was a DS port made into a console game. Originally from what I understand is that there was going to be one Altair game and one Ezio game.

xryanx28
10-17-2013, 11:19 PM
they were made by a different team and they both only have 1 city each. that to me is why 1,2,3 seem like better games. I still love brotherhood and revelations

ze_topazio
10-17-2013, 11:22 PM
Originally the idea was that each new AC would have a new character and setting so when Brotherhood was announced people thought it was just a spin-off, it wasn't, but the "spin-off" label kind of stuck.

LoyalACFan
10-18-2013, 12:07 AM
Because AC was originally a trilogy. Brotherhood and Revelations were never planned, but rather sprang up out of a desire to capitalize on Ezio. They were only important because they made up a bunch of new modern-day gibberish to justify sticking with Ezio for forty years.

Which makes me think those two games were the reason AC3's modern day content sucked. I mean, can you imagine how different it would have been if AC2 came out in '09 and we didn't hear from AC again until III in 2012? No Lucy death, no Desmond coma, no William Miles, and Subject 16 would still be a huge mystery. Safe to say there were some major revisions that had to be made to 3's modern stuff as the spin-offs threw out more and more convoluted crap that muddled up the original script. Can't really blame the AC3 devs too much for failing to accommodate not one, but TWO unplanned spinoffs with WTF cliffhangers they never thought they'd have to be explaining when development began.

Rugterwyper32
10-18-2013, 12:10 AM
ACB was originally meant to be DLC for AC2, and ACR was originally going to be Lost Legacy, a 3DS game. So there's that.

FrankieSatt
10-18-2013, 12:31 AM
Brotherhood and Revelations were no more that DLC that we paid full game price for. There were not inferior but they were extremely overpriced.

Toa TAK
10-18-2013, 02:15 AM
Which makes me think those two games were the reason AC3's modern day content sucked. I mean, can you imagine how different it would have been if AC2 came out in '09 and we didn't hear from AC again until III in 2012? No Lucy death, no Desmond coma, no William Miles, and Subject 16 would still be a huge mystery. Safe to say there were some major revisions that had to be made to 3's modern stuff as the spin-offs threw out more and more convoluted crap that muddled up the original script. Can't really blame the AC3 devs too much for failing to accommodate not one, but TWO unplanned spinoffs with WTF cliffhangers they never thought they'd have to be explaining when development began.
This will ALWAYS be the greatest "What if" for the franchise for me. I love getting AC games yearly as much as the next guy, but it would've been nice to see how this story was going to go originally, even if it did have an end.

pirate1802
10-18-2013, 03:30 AM
They were only important because they made up a bunch of new modern-day gibberish to justify sticking with Ezio for forty years.

Gibberish which didn't matter in the end anyway lol

no William Miles.

But..but.. I love Willie :(

STDlyMcStudpants
10-18-2013, 04:17 AM
people don't understand words..thats why lol
We are telling the abstergo/templar/assassin story as a WHOLE
Multiple stories..not individual stories...
Ezio NEVER had his own game
No assassin has ever had their own game!
a true spin off would be like ACB with none of the animus...if it just told ezios story
Example: any Luigi game is a Mario spin off...HOWEVER Luigi being present in a mario game doesnt make that mario game a luigi spin off too just because he has appeared in one before... It's still marios game
ACB was still The Assassin's Creed's game ;)

pacmanate
10-18-2013, 08:21 AM

We know... it's okay.

Farlander1991
10-18-2013, 08:26 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_fBOxdrVdU

pirate1802
10-18-2013, 08:35 AM
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/168/912/1314803244975.jpg