PDA

View Full Version : ACIV More Fun To Play than GTA5?

Wolfmeister1010
10-17-2013, 10:57 PM
I have beaten GTA 5. I have done the main campaign, unlocked all weapons and properties, done all the stranger missions, collected many of the collectables, unfogged the whole map, did everything you could do to beat the game, and I even clocked in around an extra 10 or so hours of just screwing around. I now am actually quite bored and done with gta5. I just checked my stats, and I played it for a total of 55 hours. This is a lot of time, for a video game. But, I have played well over 65 hours of AC3, and another 20 hours having fun in TOKW. Why have I played so much more and had so much more fun playing AC than the famed untouchable gta5?

Don't get me wrong, I love GTA5. It is the best one to date. But I feel that instead of being an extremely revolutionary game...it is just a better version of gta4. I mean, the only real revolutionary part of the game is the character switching, which IMO is not enough. So basically, I got bored of GTA5 quickly because it has not really brought anything new to the table, and I have played games like it (3rd person shooter open world) for years in the forks of countless games, like other GTAs, max payne, saints row, RDR and more. GTA5 has even taken features from other games, like max payne shooting, and thus can sometimes feel like I have already played the game before. While it may be the ideal form of that type of game...it is just not revolutionary enough to keep me playing it for too long. I had a good 20 day run with GTA5. And I am sure I will pick it up again in the future on occasion for screwing around and DLC.

However, AC games, AC3 in particular, while very flawed, has a very big advantage: the fact that it is very very fresh. It is a first in so many categories. First time for tree running, new combat, animals, seasons, time period, and of course naval. It really is the best naval game out there.

With all of these new fresh additions, it can stay very very addicting even with all its flaws. That is why I think AC4 will come out on top for me. It is just bringing so much to the table, with its upgraded naval, huge world, seamlessness, free aiming, ect ect ect. While I do not think it will beat GTa 5 for any GOTY award (because its GTA and is destined to be overrated) I think it may come out on top for many of you guys...my fellow hardcore AC players.

I expect I will spend anywhere from 60 to 100 hours playing AC4. Maybe more, for its more open world feel than previous games. There is no game like it out there from the past, and I really think that even though GTA5 had more years of dev and much more money thrown into it, AC4 may come out on top in terms of replayablity and lasting entertainment.

What do you guys think?

ze_topazio
10-17-2013, 11:03 PM
I don't know, i haven't play neither of them yet, some people played GTA5 but nobody played AC4 yet so nobody knows.

pacmanate
10-17-2013, 11:04 PM
GTAV isn't about length though, its about quality.

Stealth Gamer92
10-17-2013, 11:13 PM
ACIV will definitely be better to me, but I hate GTA as a series. I prefer any of the Driver games no matter how old over GTA.

Jexx21
10-17-2013, 11:15 PM
that's just what games with small playtimes say

pacmanate
10-17-2013, 11:18 PM

And games with 100% sync objectives are long games?

adventurewomen
10-17-2013, 11:23 PM
I'm halfway through with GTA V, its a decent game however I'll enjoy AC4 more since I experienced the demos the game was great!

Rugterwyper32
10-17-2013, 11:25 PM
Well, GTA isn't a series I particularly enjoy (even though I can see why people consider it a quality game) so yes, I'm sure I will enjoy AC4 more than it.
It really depends on person and preference. I could see many games that are objectively better than Sonic the Hedgehog 2, yet I don't think I'll enjoy many games as much. Simple as that.

Toa TAK
10-17-2013, 11:30 PM
Haven't gotten the chance to play GTAV yet, but my hopes for Black Flag is that even once the main story with synchronizations completed, there will still be tons of extra side missions that are of quality.

Wolfmeister1010
10-17-2013, 11:35 PM

And GTA5 has ideal quality. But my point is it doesnt bring anything new to the table like AC4 does.

pacmanate
10-17-2013, 11:37 PM
And GTA5 has ideal quality. But my point is it doesnt bring anything new to the table like AC4 does.

What is AC4 bringing that is new?

silvermercy
10-17-2013, 11:40 PM
A blond pirate! What more do ya wanttt?? ehhhh??? ;p

LoyalACFan
10-17-2013, 11:47 PM

GTA has a small play time? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Go home, Jexxy, you're drunk :rolleyes:

40+ hour campaign, 20+ hours of stranger missions, 200 collectibles, business management side mission chain, half a dozen sports/diversions, and yes, even 100% sync if that floats your boat. There are legitimate criticisms to be aimed at GTA5, but "short" is not one of them by any stretch of the imagination.

That said, I'm holding onto hope that AC4 will have just as much replay value as GTA because there are now random events/ships to board/treasures to find, whereas previous AC's got kind of stale after you got 100% completion IMO because there was nothing to do other than massacre guards and look at the scenery. Which AC4 will still have, just in addition to other stuff.

Toa TAK
10-17-2013, 11:50 PM

Better water! :P

TheHumanTowel
10-17-2013, 11:57 PM
It is just bringing so much to the table, with its upgraded naval, huge world, seamlessness, free aiming, ect ect ect.

lol yeah if only GTAV had seamlessness, a huge world and free aiming like good old revolutionary AC4. Oh wait. Naval isn't even new.

You know it's okay to just like AC more than GTA. You don't have to keep making threads comparing these two games. Especially when AC4 isn't even out yet.

Jexx21
10-17-2013, 11:58 PM
apparently my joke wasn't obvious enough

"but GTA5 isn't about length, it's about quality" = "it isn't about size but how you use it"

"that's just what games with small playtimes say" = "that's just want guys with small cazzos say"

Wolfmeister1010
10-18-2013, 12:00 AM

Overhauled naval. Seamless transition between 3d environments. CARIBBEAN (location and time period make all the difference) harpooning, free aiming, underwater segments, random enounters, forts and plantations, huge tech improvements to foliage and general graphics (yes graphics do matter) need I say more? Im not trying to attack GTA5. It is a great game. But it is just not revolutionary. Playable sports and interactive stock market is not enough.

Wolfmeister1010
10-18-2013, 12:02 AM
lol yeah if only GTAV had seamlessness, a huge world and free aiming like good old revolutionary AC4. Oh wait. Naval isn't even new.

You know it's okay to just like AC more than GTA. You don't have to keep making threads comparing these two games. Especially when AC4 isn't even out yet.

I have never made a thread comparing GTA to AC...until now. And i am not saying that one game IS better, but that one game WILL be bringing more to the table.

Overhauled naval has only been in ONE game before so it damn well is still fresh enough. GTA5 has had that "seamlessness" for DECADES. And free aiming. It is not new.

It IS new for the type of game that AC4 is. The two games are completely different. It is like comparing saints row to dishonored

Also, GTA 5 is not seamless in the sense that it is already one big world. Its cars are like AC3's horses. If that is your analogy, then AC has been seamless since the beginning.

AC4 is able to take two mini environments, set in a bigger environment, and have you switch between those two environments at will. THAT is revolutionary.

TheHumanTowel
10-18-2013, 12:09 AM
I have never made a thread comparing the games.

Overhauled naval has only been in ONE game before so it damn well is still fresh enough. GTA5 has had that "seamlessness" for DECADES. And free aiming. It is not new.

It IS new for the type of game that AC4 is.
Whatever you made some other similar thread about how GTA is overrated and AC is better.

What? So because AC4 is only catching up now to mechanics that have been in other games for DECADES it's a better game? You keep saying GTAV isn't revolutionary. Well you know adding in stuff that's been in other games for ages but is new to your series isn't exactly revolutionary either.......

Wolfmeister1010
10-18-2013, 12:11 AM
Whatever you made some other similar thread about how GTA is overrated and AC is better.

What? So because AC4 is only catching up now to mechanics that have been in other games for DECADES it's a better game? You keep saying GTAV isn't revolutionary. Well you know adding in stuff that's been in other games for ages but is new to your series isn't exactly revolutionary either.......

I wasnt aware that the naval combat which makes up half the core of AC4 has been in other games for ages. Nice try.

And no i have not. Dont make assumptions. I think I would know more than you. I have made a thread talking about things GTA5 has gotten away with but AC3 hasnt, but i never said AC was better. I think GTA 5 is better than AC3.

I never meant this thread to become a battleground. Just accept and respect my opinion, like I do yours.

pacmanate
10-18-2013, 12:16 AM
Overhauled naval. Seamless transition between 3d environments. CARIBBEAN (location and time period make all the difference) harpooning, free aiming, underwater segments, random enounters, forts and plantations, huge tech improvements to foliage and general graphics (yes graphics do matter) need I say more? Im not trying to attack GTA5. It is a great game. But it is just not revolutionary. Playable sports and interactive stock market is not enough.

Naval has been expanded, its to be expected.
GTA has seamless everything
GTA has a bigger world than AC4
GTA has free aiming
GTA has underwater EVERYWHERE.
GTA is the king of random encounters.
GTA was not on next gen so talking about foliage isnt fair.

You say GTA isnt revolutionary, when AC4 is just playing catch up.

TheHumanTowel
10-18-2013, 12:22 AM
I wasnt aware that the naval combat which makes up half the core of AC4 has been in other games for ages. Nice try.

And no i have not. Dont make assumptions. I think I would know more than you. I have made a thread talking about things GTA5 has gotten away with but AC3 hasnt, but i never said AC was better. I think GTA 5 is better than AC3.

I never meant this thread to become a battleground. Just accept and respect my opinion, like I do yours.
It was in the previous game in the series released last year. I don't think you can count naval in your "revolutionary" features camp and then give out about GTA just improving mechanics from previous games.

Okay I'll edit all my posts to "I respect your opinion."

Wolfmeister1010
10-18-2013, 12:27 AM
It was in the previous game in the series released last year. I don't think you can count naval in your "revolutionary" features camp and then give out about GTA just improving mechanics from previous games.

Okay I'll edit all my posts to "I respect your opinion."

You dont have to be a little ***** about it. Just drop it. Im trying to stop the argument. Your attitude is not helping. I will refer to my below post to help you understand my point.

Im saying these things are revolutionary compared to PREVIOUS AC GAMES. I am not comparing Ac to GTA. I am saying that AC4 has gone a step further more than its previous game than GTA5 has from GTA4.

Wolfmeister1010
10-18-2013, 12:28 AM
GTA has free aiming

Im saying these things are revolutionary compared to PREVIOUS AC GAMES. I am not comparing Ac to GTA. I am saying that AC4 has gone a step further more than its previous game than GTA5 has from GTA4.

You are right about all these things. But you misunderstand my point.

TheHumanTowel
10-18-2013, 12:30 AM
You dont have to be a little ***** about it. Just drop it.
Those asterisks don't look very respectful of opinions.

Wolfmeister1010
10-18-2013, 12:32 AM
Those asterisks don't look very respectful of opinions.

People can have differing opinions but still treat others with respect. Please see my above edited post.

pacmanate
10-18-2013, 12:59 AM

You are right about all these things. But you misunderstand my point.

They are new to the series yes, but underwater SEGMENTS being revolutionary? A large map being revolutionary? You are using that word in such a weird context.

Wolfmeister1010
10-18-2013, 01:02 AM
They are new to the series yes, but underwater SEGMENTS being revolutionary? A large map being revolutionary? You are using that word in such a weird context.

My first language is russian remember, so excuse if I am using it wrong. I sound more exaggerating than I mean to. I hope you at least understand my point. I would love to have a respectful discussion about it. It is very hard to keep these discussions calm when thehumantowel is here.

pacmanate
10-18-2013, 01:10 AM
Don't worry, Im done with this anyway.

Jexx21
10-18-2013, 01:11 AM
GTA has free aiming

Actually according to an interview AC4's map is roughly 250 KM^2

That's about 4-5x larger than GTAV.

Wolfmeister1010
10-18-2013, 01:12 AM
Don't worry, Im done with this anyway.

Okay. Just tell me. Do you at least understand my point? You may not agree but do you at least understand it?

RaulO4
10-18-2013, 01:41 AM
'GTA world is Full of details created from over 5 years in creation

AC4 may be good (well i started to hate AC after it went every year and no huge improvements were done at all. now this is my view...now AC4 has catch my eyes because the world seems alive)
AC4 only had 2 years to be created in that context you wont have that hand on level of detailed to each part of the map that GTA has... nor time to create these special random events that gta has...

i do believe if the next AC takes up 3 to 4 years that we could have a game that stands up to gta level of details
these things take time and its painful for the devs to create..

UBI can do that.. look at watch Dgos, and the level of details it "Seems" to have within the game.

I-Like-Pie45
10-18-2013, 01:41 AM
i can see your point

sort of, wolfmeister

if its possible, you can use your money to send me both AC4 and GTA5 on PS3 so I can test it out.

you won't get your money back, btw.

this is not a contrived scheme, btw btw

LoyalACFan
10-18-2013, 01:54 AM
Actually according to an interview AC4's map is roughly 250 KM^2

That's about 4-5x larger than GTAV.

But it's 95% water and unexplorable land. Which is fine, but you can't really make a fair comparison that way.

Assassin_M
10-18-2013, 02:19 AM
Okay, wolf...lets analyze this. first thing, we're going by what we're TOLD about AC IV and what we already experienced in GTA V, so it's not exactly fair to draw the comparison so early...it's not fair to AC IV. now GTA V has lots and lots of issues and I went into detail about those and had great and long discussions somewhere else, so I wont delve about GTA V too much here.

Overhauled naval.
I'll give it to AC IV. improving on a feature is a great thing. Naval added lots of fun to a recipe that was getting old fast due to yearly churns, refining said feature can only lead to so much more fun, BUT...this isn't Revolutionary. when your game is taking a portion of the previous game, base 40% of the new game around this feature OF COURSE you expect refinement. this isn't revolutionary. that's common sense.

Seamless transition between 3d environments.
lets be honest here, okay? what seamlessness? if you think of the Caribbean as an extended Kingdom or Frontier and the Ships as horses...then...that's all you really have. That's all we ALREADY had. multiple cities, connected by a large hub. That's literally every other AC game that had a large hub. so you can now leave your ship at will to explore islands? You could get on and off of your horse at will to explore forests, towns and barrens OR we can include the seamlessness between ship and land in the improvements to Naval. which is how I see it. there's no denying the work they did and it's amazing. their map IS HUGE, but lets just put things into perspective here.

CARIBBEAN (location and time period make all the difference)
To incorporate Naval. how is this Revolutionary? if you want to include this in Revolutionary, why on earth are you not saying Los Santos and Blaine county are revolutionary? actual seamless underwater environments and so many varied environments. I'm just sensing a double standard here is all.

harpooning
Fair enough...a new mini-game that's fresh and looks to be pretty engaging, BUT again...the double standard...what's wrong with comparing Tennis to this? In my opinion, Tennis is one of the best sport mini-games I played this year. you mention Tennis AND stock (which is a meta-game) together as "not revolutionary" so again, I'm sensing a double standard.

free aiming
Now, wolf. I always took you for a smart girl...this isn't revolutionary, okay? xD

underwater segments
Double standards. GTA V has that AND they're actually seamless.

random encounters
We're not even sure about those yet, the term "random encounters" is SO vague, so even if you asked Darby about it and he said yes...he may be referring to the recruiting of crew as far as we know...which is basically the same as AC III's recruit missions...FINITE random quests.

forts and plantations
That's manipulating design, which isn't a bad thing at all, but it's not revolutionary.

huge tech improvements to foliage and general graphics (yes graphics do matter)
of course they matter....look at Infamous second son...the graphics alone are selling it so far...now compare it with AC IV. again, I'm not trying to diminish AC IV, I'm only putting things in perspective.

need I say more?
Yes, Wolf...yes you do. If you'll make a claim that AC IV is revolutionary while GTA V isn't, well...i'm gonna need more than free aiming.

m not trying to attack GTA5. It is a great game. But it is just not revolutionary. Playable sports and interactive stock market is not enough.
Whoever said GTA V is revolutionary? I sure as hell didn't...the millions who bought it didn't...okay, maybe there are the fanboys here and there, but no one said GTA V was revolutionary, I just feel like this is the same case as with AC II. most people see it as the best AC, so in return, others like to attack it to balance the scale of the fanbase. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but your proposal and claims that AC IV is revolutionary while GTA V isn't are a bit far fetched, because using YOUR list of why AC IV is revolutionary....GTA V would be the second coming of Jesus.

I LOVE GTA V and I'm getting AC IV, because i'm a MASSIVE AC fan, but I have the humility to tell myself the actual facts and faults of each.

HiddenKiller612
10-18-2013, 02:42 AM
All comes down to preference and opinion. I've yet to play GTAV... I have no doubt I'd enjoy it, that it would be fun.... but I haven't been waiting for it since it was announced... I have been for Black Flag. I didn't really enjoy GTAIV but I enjoyed AC3.... So I, would more than likely enjoy playing ACIV more than GTAV.

Wolfmeister1010
10-18-2013, 02:43 AM
Okay, wolf...lets analyze this. first thing, we're going by what we're TOLD about AC IV and what we already experienced in GTA V, so it's not exactly fair to draw the comparison so early...it's not fair to AC IV. now GTA V has lots and lots of issues and I went into detail about those and had great and long discussions somewhere else, so I wont delve about GTA V too much here.

I'll give it to AC IV. improving on a feature is a great thing. Naval added lots of fun to a recipe that was getting old fast due to yearly churns, refining said feature can only lead to so much more fun, BUT...this isn't Revolutionary. when your game is taking a portion of the previous game, base 40% of the new game around this feature OF COURSE you expect refinement. this isn't revolutionary. that's common sense.

lets be honest here, okay? what seamlessness? if you think of the Caribbean as an extended Kingdom or Frontier and the Ships as horses...then...that's all you really have. That's all we ALREADY had. multiple cities, connected by a large hub. That's literally every other AC game that had a large hub. so you can now leave your ship at will to explore islands? You could get on and off of your horse at will to explore forests, towns and barrens OR we can include the seamlessness between ship and land in the improvements to Naval. which is how I see it. there's no denying the work they did and it's amazing. their map IS HUGE, but lets just put things into perspective here.

To incorporate Naval. how is this Revolutionary? if you want to include this in Revolutionary, why on earth are you not saying Los Santos and Blaine county are revolutionary? actual seamless underwater environments and so many varied environments. I'm just sensing a double standard here is all.

Fair enough...a new mini-game that's fresh and looks to be pretty engaging, BUT again...the double standard...what's wrong with comparing Tennis to this? In my opinion, Tennis is one of the best sport mini-games I played this year. you mention Tennis AND stock (which is a meta-game) together as "not revolutionary" so again, I'm sensing a double standard.

Now, wolf. I always took you for a smart girl...this isn't revolutionary, okay? xD

Double standards. GTA V has that AND they're actually seamless.

We're not even sure about those yet, the term "random encounters" is SO vague, so even if you asked Darby about it and he said yes...he may be referring to the recruiting of crew as far as we know...which is basically the same as AC III's recruit missions...FINITE random quests.

That's manipulating design, which isn't a bad thing at all, but it's not revolutionary.

of course they matter....look at Infamous second son...the graphics alone are selling it so far...now compare it with AC IV. again, I'm not trying to diminish AC IV, I'm only putting things in perspective.

Yes, Wolf...yes you do. If you'll make a claim that AC IV is revolutionary while GTA V isn't, well...i'm gonna need more than free aiming.

Whoever said GTA V is revolutionary? I sure as hell didn't...the millions who bought it didn't...okay, maybe there are the fanboys here and there, but no one said GTA V was revolutionary, I just feel like this is the same case as with AC II. most people see it as the best AC, so in return, others like to attack it to balance the scale of the fanbase. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but your proposal and claims that AC IV is revolutionary while GTA V isn't are a bit far fetched, because using YOUR list of why AC IV is revolutionary....GTA V would be the second coming of Jesus.

I LOVE GTA V and I'm getting AC IV, because i'm a MASSIVE AC fan, but I have the humility to tell myself the actual facts and faults of each.

Revolutionary is the wrong term. A bit overexagerated. A better word to use is "fresh". I am comparing AC4 to AC3 when I say that. I am not trying directly compare GtA5 with AC4. I am saying that AC4 evolved more from AC3 than Gta5 did from gta4.

BTW, the list of things you quoted did not include things I think are revolutionary. I was responding to a question asking what was NEW in AC4. Please do not use my words out of context. I do not think that free aiming and harpooning are revolutionary.

My entire point I was trying to make in this thread (which has been misunderstood to a large extent) is that I got bored of GTa5 quickly because it has the same core experience as GTA4. I believe that AC4 is adding tons of new features and improving on everything from AC3 while still being very unique from AC4. I do not think that GTA5 is as fresh from GTA4 as AC4 is from AC3.

RaulO4
10-18-2013, 02:43 AM
^^^^
" because using YOUR list of why AC IV is revolutionary....GTA V would be the second coming of Jesus."

LOL best line ever....

anyways since I'm here can someone try to sell AC4 to me
my last AC that i own was 2 (i think its the best one and the one that had the most overall improvement to its last AC)

i have played the other two AC (not AC3 since even my friend that a AC fan boy like its his god says its pure ****....oh he also said that it made him lose all hope in gaming XD ......note: AC3 WAS HE LAST game he bought to date)

is the only thing new is the world? the ship/water
AKA i love my world to feel alive and feel like there something new to discover so GTA/skyrim are my love

I'm asking because there are always some details that never come or notice on Videos and so on

STDlyMcStudpants
10-18-2013, 04:20 AM
Who cares which is more fun tbh?
I had more fun playing borderlands than i do playing uncharted...
That doesnt make Borderlands better than Uncharted
Just that its geared more towards a good time...Much like GTA is...
AC is geared more towards conspiracy, and enlightenment.
It forces you to ask questions...That isn't "fun" but I enjoy it more than any other game or series out there.

pirate1802
10-18-2013, 04:41 AM
Who cares which is more fun tbh?
I had more fun playing borderlands than i do playing uncharted...
That doesnt make Borderlands better than Uncharted

If you enjoy a game more than another, doesn't that make it a better game for you?

pacmanate
10-18-2013, 08:15 AM
@wolf I see your point sort of.
@Jexx, when 90% of the map is water, it doesnt count. Especially when only parts of underneath are explorable.

Jack-Reacher
10-18-2013, 08:25 AM
Im playing GTA V both SP and MP without the map to get more out of it, so far im really enjoying it. I don't think I will be done any time soon with it either, I might do the same for black flag if my income holds up. Otherwise, I just might quit the series, GTA V and MGS5 will probably have me sorted for a while.

Locopells
10-18-2013, 10:06 AM
While I like both, I have to say I consider AC the better series. But that's just my opinion.

I-Like-Pie45
10-18-2013, 03:15 PM
GTA5 is unrealistic garbage
TLoU is unrealistic garbage
Beyond is unrealistic garbage
AC4 is unrealistic garbage
Mario is unrealistic garbage

oh my god, video games are unrealistic garbage

what i have done with my life

Assassin_M
10-18-2013, 03:39 PM
Revolutionary is the wrong term. A bit overexagerated. A better word to use is "fresh". I am comparing AC4 to AC3 when I say that. I am not trying directly compare GtA5 with AC4. I am saying that AC4 evolved more from AC3 than Gta5 did from gta4.

BTW, the list of things you quoted did not include things I think are revolutionary. I was responding to a question asking what was NEW in AC4. Please do not use my words out of context. I do not think that free aiming and harpooning are revolutionary.

My entire point I was trying to make in this thread (which has been misunderstood to a large extent) is that I got bored of GTa5 quickly because it has the same core experience as GTA4. I believe that AC4 is adding tons of new features and improving on everything from AC3 while still being very unique from AC4. I do not think that GTA5 is as fresh from GTA4 as AC4 is from AC3.
Okay, I just thought this list was the revolutionary things (I wont use that term after this sentence anymore since you conceded that it's an exaggeration) in AC IV since you mention them in your OP, so sorry for that, but if you don't mind of course, what are the features that you'd like to discuss from AC IV? what's the comparison that you'd like to make? what are the features that you see are better and improved in AC IV? It's of course your opinion and you're free to think that the free aim feature is better than Tennis, but I'll just try and divulge some of this all.

Alright, so the entire point is that AC IV evolved more from AC III than GTA V did from GTA IV. Okay, so again...in terms of what?

Jexx21
10-18-2013, 03:43 PM
gtav is a game about killing people for money

ac4bf is a game about killing people for money

they're the same thing

argument finished

Bastiaen
10-18-2013, 05:29 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed GTAV. But ACIV will be better. I think Watch Dogs is the only game with the potential to dethrone AC for me.

jayjay275
10-18-2013, 05:35 PM
What I do not get about GTA is how people think mindlessly killing people or messing around is fun, unless it is with friends. However, I do not think I can fully give my opinion, as I haven't played GTA V yet, but the game to me seems extremely overrated for what it is. Games like the AC franchise now seem underrated for what it is. The story aspect itself is fantastic, and is possibly one of the best out there to date. Not only that but gameplay and character design (aside from multiply look-a-likes) are phenomenal. AC to me is already one of my favourite games, and I do not think GTA could come close.

TheHumanTowel
10-18-2013, 05:41 PM
What I do not get about GTA is how people think mindlessly killing people or messing around is fun, unless it is with friends. However, I do not think I can fully give my opinion, as I haven't played GTA V yet, but the game to me seems extremely overrated for what it is. Games like the AC franchise now seem underrated for what it is. The story aspect itself is fantastic, and is possibly one of the best out there to date. Not only that but gameplay and character design (aside from multiply look-a-likes) are phenomenal. AC to me is already one of my favourite games, and I do not think GTA could come close.
You realise you don't just mindlessly kill people in GTA? Like it has a story mode and missions just like any other game. Messing around in the open world is a part of the fun but it's obviously not the whole game, or even the focus of the game I'd say.

jayjay275
10-18-2013, 05:48 PM
]You realise you don't just mindlessly kill people in GTA? [/B]Like it has a story mode and missions just like any other game. Messing around in the open world is a part of the fun but it's obviously not the whole game, or even the focus of the game I'd say.

I meant in the open-world/free roam, not story.

Sushiglutton
I prefer AC as a franchise for a number of reasons. Melee combat/stealth/parkour is more fun to me than shooting and driving. I prefer the historical setting over a satirical take on modern US. I like the mysticism and symbolism in AC. That said GTA V is a better designed game than any of the AC games to me.

First off the way R* has given life to the open world. The attention to details, random events, characters it's pretty mindblowing. Everything in GTA V has a story attached to it. Like for example when you pick up a hitchhiker (a very simple drive from A to B mission) there is a bunch of dialogue that brings the whole thing to life. There are also fun things to do that just exist in the world, like driving a BMX down in the subway, or stunt flying close to skyscrapers. You can play with gasoline and sticky bombs. All this can be done with your friends online, which increases the creativity potential exponentially.

GTA V is not a perfect game by any stretch. It's a very, very well designed open world game though.

Jexx21
for many people the focus of the game is indeed driving around and running people over

Shahkulu101
10-18-2013, 05:50 PM

Yeah GTA really is that simple. That's why they spent $200,000,000 on it and took five years to develop it.

TheHumanTowel
10-18-2013, 05:52 PM
for many people the focus of the game is indeed driving around and running people over
I could make board games the main focus of AC3 for me if that was all I did. That wouldn't make it the main focus of the actual game though.

Jexx21
10-18-2013, 05:52 PM
I can spend $200 and 2 hours to make a sandwich. Doesn't mean I'll enjoy it more than the sandwich that took $2 and 1 minute to make.

Jexx21
10-18-2013, 05:53 PM
I could make board games the main focus of AC3 for me if that was all I did. That wouldn't make it the main focus of the actual game though.
okay?

I was making a comment on the intelligence of most gamers, not the game itself.

jayjay275
10-18-2013, 05:55 PM
Yeah GTA really is that simple. That's why they spent $200,000,000 on it and took five years to develop it.

I'm just saying though. All of the gameplay videos online are in the majority of "RUNNING OVER A BODY" or "HOW TO STEAL A PERSONS CAR". However, this is merely my opinion.

Shahkulu101
10-18-2013, 06:02 PM
I'm just saying though. All of the gameplay videos online are in the majority of "RUNNING OVER A BODY" or "HOW TO STEAL A PERSONS CAR". However, this is merely my opinion.

There are plenty of other things to do though. Like literally hundreds.

Those people just like doing that - whether it be for their subscribers or whatever. There are plenty of story walk-throughs from respectable youtubers that I'd advise you to watch if you aren't going to buy it and judge for yourself. That way, you may be able to appreciate that GTAV is more than mindless killing.

jayjay275
10-18-2013, 06:05 PM
There are plenty of other things to do though. Like literally hundreds.

Those people just like doing that - whether it be for their subscribers or whatever. There are plenty of story walk-throughs from respectable youtubers that I'd advise you to watch if you aren't going to buy it and judge for yourself. That way, you may be able to appreciate that GTAV is more than mindless killing.

Alright. I can accept that.

Assassin_M
10-18-2013, 06:08 PM
First off the way R* has given life to the open world. The attention to details, random events, characters it's pretty mindblowing. Everything in GTA V has a story attached to it. Like for example when you pick up a hitchhiker (a very simple drive from A to B mission) there is a bunch of dialogue that brings the whole thing to life. There are also fun things to do that just exist in the world, like driving a BMX down in the subway, or stunt flying close to skyscrapers. You can play with gasoline and sticky bombs. All this can be done with your friends online, which increases the creativity potential exponentially.

GTA V is not a perfect game by any stretch. It's a very, very well designed open world game though.
This...I'm just a guy whose preference depends on the mood. If I want to free run, ride ships and explore history, I play AC. if I want to shoot, fly, race and run people over, I play GTA.

It all comes down to the better designed game and to me, GTA V trumps every AC game so far in that department....except maybe Brotherhood...the Da Vinci missions were amazeballs

Shahkulu101
10-18-2013, 06:10 PM
This...I'm just a guy whose preference depends on the mood. If I want to free run, ride ships and explore history, I play AC. if I want to shoot, fly, race and run people over, I play GTA.

It all comes down to the better designed game and to me, GTA V trumps every AC game so far in that department....except maybe Brotherhood...the Da Vinci missions were amazeballs

So you concede the undeniable fact that Brotherhood is the best AC gameplay wise in absolutely every department.

Assassin_M
10-18-2013, 06:11 PM
So you concede the undeniable fact that Brotherhood is the best AC gameplay wise in absolutely every aspect?
Lol no...Instead, I think ACB is the pinnacle of side missions in AC...the most fun, meaty and well designed side missions in any AC to date.

adventurewomen
10-18-2013, 06:12 PM

Agreed! The Da Vinci Disappearence DLC was the best part of Brotherhood! I still go back to play the DLC.

Assassin_M
10-18-2013, 06:14 PM
Agreed! The Da Vinci Disappearence DLC was the best part of Brotherhood! I still go back to play the DLC.
I was talking about the War machines, sorry for confusing you xP

jayjay275
10-18-2013, 06:14 PM
Lol no...Instead, I think ACB is the pinnacle of side missions in AC...the most fun, meaty and well designed side missions in any AC to date.

Agreed.

Shahkulu101
10-18-2013, 06:16 PM

Ya that is true. Except the part where you didn't say that ACB is the best gameplay-wise in absolutely every department.

Sushiglutton
10-18-2013, 06:18 PM

Yeah they are almost orthogonal in terms of gameplay content. To be fair I think it's a little easier to create content for GTA as you can make stuff that is a bit more over the top and therefor inherently a bit more fun. Da Vinci missions was an idea that let the devs go a bit nuts :p. I think one fo the biggest differences is how R* has been able to give more personality to all the content, which obv has to be a very time consuming thing.

k4Anarky2011
10-18-2013, 06:22 PM
I'm more into fantasy-RPG which have detailed character progression, a lot of content and/OR a unique world to discover (You just can't find a magic sword in GTA V). So I found Skyrim and Dragon's Dogma way more addicting than GTA V. (Recently came back to Skyrim after I beat GTA V). I'm waiting to get AC4 after I finish my semester in December. I think I would enjoy AC4 much more because I actually found AC2(Yes... AC2... I'm weird I know) more entertaining than GTA V (Because of the enviroment, the climbing, the scenery, the mystique... And once you can run on rooftops, you start hating the ground :p).

And also because there haven't been a good pirate game since ever... And let's just say I was born at sea, and I came out of the womb with a cutlass in my hand, pistol on the other... And my first word is "YARRR!!!" ;)

The best thing about GTA V is that the world is a true sandbox where you can indulge in some of yours twisted fantasy and wanton destructions. And the wandering around on foot, out in the Blaine County, the subways, the ocean is awesome. There's always the hope that you will be the first one to bump into a sea monster or ratman.

But besides that are linear missions after linear missions. And I hate them. And I just don't like the realistic settings, because it's so detailed it keeps reminding me of how fake the world and its people are. Everyone in the game make me sick (Except Trevor and Michael) because of how faking-real they are... Thats why I prefer Red Dead Redemption, because it calls back to a time when things still make sense and people aren't fake ******s. :mad:

Now you just got to wait until the time when R* decides to make an open world pirate game.

All in all, escapism is why I think i would like AC4 much more than GTA V

adventurewomen
10-18-2013, 06:36 PM
I was talking about the War machines, sorry for confusing you xP
No worries, lol.

This is what happens when I focus on my MFA dissertation everything else about AC then confuses me! :-\

ze_topazio
10-18-2013, 06:52 PM
Now you just got to wait until the time when R* decides to make an open world pirate game.

A Samurai open world game made by Rockstar would be amazing.

luckyto
10-18-2013, 06:53 PM
Ya that is true. Except the part where you didn't say that ACB is the best gameplay-wise in absolutely every department.

Because it's not. :) Not even close. Not even in the top three.

Back on topic. AC Franchise is infinitely more fun - to me - than GTA because of it's controls. It is simply much more enjoyable to control Altair/Ezio/Connor (and soon Edward) than any of the GTA characters. GTA, for all the little details, has always failed for me in the mechanics department. In GTA, the character movement is clunky. The driving is outdone on a million other games. And the shooting is outdone on a million other games. That's the essence of game for me. How responsive are the controls and are they fun to use. AC has almost always done that far better than 95% of the other games out there; and the only difference in titles has been how the combat mechanics work. Story and everything else is second-tier for me. If a game feels good to control, I will play it a lot. If the combat is engaging, responsive and challenging; then I enjoy it.

The Arkham games work because combat is so fluid and moving about the environment is intuitive and feels like Batman. The Tomb Raider reboot worked because it was one of the best cover systems for shooting ever done with a fluid platforming mechanic to complement it. AC works because free-running and climbing feels natural and looks amazing and the combat is - usually - fairly engaging. Mario Bros. works because jumping and platforming is both fun and responsive. When I think back to every video game I've ever loved from AC to Mortal Kombat to Pacman, it comes down to controls. And in the controls department, GTAIV failed miserably. I have a hard time believing it is that much better.

I don't even know how a video game can get a 10 if it has clunky controls. It's not a book or movie. It's a game.

TheDanteEX
10-18-2013, 07:25 PM
But, I have played well over 65 hours of AC3, and another 20 hours having fun in TOKW. Why have I played so much more and had so much more fun playing AC than the famed untouchable gta5?

To answer the first part of your first question, AC3 has been out or nearly a year. I don't know when you start playing , but I'm going to make an assumption and say longer than you have GTAV.

I know it's hard to argue about Assassin's Creed not being the best series on the Assassin's Creed forums, but you have to take effort into consideration. GTAV just has more effort put into it than AC games have had, at least recently. And it shows. Understandable that AC is your (not anybody specific) favorite series, but nothing about ACIV is revolutionary. Just improved. And mostly is the same about GTAV. And there's nothing wrong with not being revolutionary. Nothing needs to be in order to be enjoyable or considered "the better".

STDlyMcStudpants
10-18-2013, 09:17 PM
If you enjoy a game more than another, doesn't that make it a better game for you?

No...it makes it more fun..
There is a difference between more fun and more enjoyable.

pacmanate
10-18-2013, 09:18 PM
No...it makes it more fun..
There is a difference between more fun and more enjoyable.

Really? What is it?

STDlyMcStudpants
10-18-2013, 09:22 PM
Really? What is it?

Which is more fun
Back massages or carnival games?
Which is more enjoyable?

The Walking Dead Game Vs. Fat Princess
Which is more fun?
Which is more enjoyable?

Of course we all have different opinions on what we believe to be fun or enjoyable...
But there are more layers to an enjoyable experience than just an adrenaline rush...

pacmanate
10-18-2013, 09:25 PM
Which is more fun
Back massages or carnival games?
Which is more enjoyable?

The Walking Dead Game Vs. Fat Princess
Which is more fun?
Which is more enjoyable?

Of course we all have different opinions on what we believe to be fun or enjoyable...
But there are more layers to an enjoyable experience than just an adrenaline rush...

Exactly, cause I would say if you find something fun, you enjoy it.

STDlyMcStudpants
10-18-2013, 09:29 PM
Exactly, cause I would say if you find something fun, you enjoy it.

Of course, but you can enjoy something more that you dont particularly find fun.
(Don't get me wrong I have fun with AC) But it's no 4 player killing spree that Borderlands delivers
Yet I like AC more :D

Jexx21
10-18-2013, 09:29 PM
Is Fat Princess a video game or something. I never heard of it. Sounds indie.

STDlyMcStudpants
10-18-2013, 09:31 PM
Is Fat Princess a video game or something. I never heard of it. Sounds indie.

It's a PSN exclusive made by Sony Santamonica
It's capture the flag with about 8 classes and the flag is a princess..you feed her cake to make it hard for the other team to capture her :D

Wolfmeister1010
10-18-2013, 09:35 PM
It's a PSN exclusive made by Sony Santamonica
It's capture the flag with about 8 classes and the flag is a princess..you feed her cake to make it hard for the other team to capture her :D

Screw COD. Screw AC. Screw GTA.

Im gettin me some of dat

STDlyMcStudpants
10-18-2013, 09:40 PM
Screw COD. Screw AC. Screw GTA.

Im gettin me some of dat

Haha!! There is a demo available, give it a shot first..its not for everyone ;D

Wolfmeister1010
10-18-2013, 10:21 PM
Haha!! There is a demo available, give it a shot first..its not for everyone ;D

I wish i could, but i have an xbox. Im getting a ps4 tho, so maybe itll be on that

ACfan443
10-18-2013, 10:30 PM
GTA has a small play time? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Go home, Jexxy, you're drunk :rolleyes:

40+ hour campaign, 20+ hours of stranger missions, 200 collectibles, business management side mission chain, half a dozen sports/diversions, and yes, even 100% sync if that floats your boat. There are legitimate criticisms to be aimed at GTA5, but "short" is not one of them by any stretch of the imagination.

This. GTA 5's playtime is monumental. Anyone who says otherwise has probably not completed everything or even played the game to begin with, in which case are in no position to make assumptions.

Jexx21
10-18-2013, 11:01 PM
apparently my joke wasn't obvious enough

"but GTA5 isn't about length, it's about quality" = "it isn't about size but how you use it"

"that's just what games with small playtimes say" = "that's just want guys with small cazzos say"

screw you guys too

Coltillion
10-18-2013, 11:05 PM
Let's see,
ACIV: Black Flag, a game about a poorly thought out aspect from a poorly made AC3 that hasn't even been released yet. It's graphics are horrid.
GTAV, a game that's been released and scores ten out of tens all around.

Common sense.

pacmanate
10-18-2013, 11:09 PM
Let's see,
ACIV: Black Flag, a game about a poorly thought out aspect from a poorly made AC3 that hasn't even been released yet. It's graphics are horrid.
GTAV, a game that's been released and scores ten out of tens all around.

Common sense.

You should consider leaving because you are seriously trolling the **** out of these forums. Everything you say is negative, don't even try and justify it.

Medieval-X-2.0
10-20-2013, 04:00 PM
GTA V...in my opinion... is quite overrated, and...shall I say... commands a cult-following regardless. I think it's more due to the fact that GTA IV was in many respects one of the worst GTAs... that fans of the series have been starved for a more proper GTA title, one that allows players to have more interactivity with the world around them. And while GTA V has accomplished this in many regards, it has at the same time withheld much of what made San Andreas great initially. If you are familiar with GTA: San Andreas, I do not have to explain what I mean in-depth. There simply was a good deal more to do. Completing jobs for businesses, for instance, yielded much more fruit, over time, by granting you rewards, perks, and accolades, allowing for criminal growth, and, well, power. We do not get that with GTA V's version of business-ownership/management, at least, it's not nearly as prevalent. There is no sense of accomplishment in my opinion, story-heists aside of course. I don't know, GTA V just didn't do it for me. Even GTA Online is boring to me because of the very same reason. Buy a house/apartment? Then what? Level up and earn the very same guns we had in the story? Then what? Do a million of the same missions over and over to get lots of money? To spend on what, more houses/apartments? I don't know... I didn't find it as appealing as I thought it was going to be. What GTA V really lacks, primarily, is a sense of power through accomplishment.

As for AC IV, all I can say is I hope it will deliver the goods.

eifere
10-20-2013, 05:18 PM
To answer the thread question, I cannot say. It is my first time playing a GTA game and I'm not yet even finished with GTA V. I'm really enjoying the game so far. As for AC IV I have yet to play it once it comes out.

SGT-Achilless
10-20-2013, 07:18 PM

next gen console lmao

thelegendaryX
01-12-2014, 03:28 AM
Wait... Was GTA 5 supposed to be fun?

I thought it was just supposed to be pretty...

Black_Widow9
01-12-2014, 03:46 AM
If you guys can't constructively discuss this I'm locking it.

Wolfmeister1010
01-12-2014, 04:06 AM
If you guys can't constructively discuss this I'm locking it.

...little late there ;)