PDA

View Full Version : What ACIV Can Learn From TOKW

Wolfmeister1010
10-16-2013, 11:50 PM
TOKW really did improve on the ambience of AC3. While in the main game, the guards in the city were either standing in groups or patrolling, TOKW gave them some more lifelike jobs and activities, as guards do more than just stand still and patrol. In TOKW, you could find guards that were:

1. Beating up a citizen
2. Restraining a citizen
3. Harassing a woman
4. Drunkenly walking about
5. Shooting muskets near people for comical value and laughing at it.
6. Participating in a hanging
7. Participating in a gun execution of several citizens.
8. Lounging and talking in a corner or against a wall.
9. Doing target practice.
10. Watching over a cage filled with prisoners.
11. About to shoot a pedestrian in the wilderness.
12. Fighting rebels.
13. Firing a cannon
14. Checking over supplies, weapons, and cannons.
15. Shining a lantern in dark corners.

Please let me know if I have missed anything.

Many of these things, like the cage of prisoners never even appear in the main game. So not only are the guards getting more things to do, but more props were added to the world. The giards themselves were given more props as well, like lanterns and maps and barrels. All of this made the TOKW a much more fun place to explore than in the main game.

This list doesnt even include all the random encounters you can come across in the world, like saving a citizen, stopping a slave caravan, and even the rare chasing down a guard who kicked a guy off a building.

I really really hope that the guards in AC4 do more in the cities and locations than just stand around. They need to be doing things, and interacting with the world. We already know that random encounters very similar to TOKW are returning, mostly in the form of saving pirates (and since pirates in your crew will always die, they will occur a lot) but I hope they also took a hint from TOKW by making the guards more integrated into the world.

Rugterwyper32
10-17-2013, 12:01 AM
Agreed. I always felt TOKW had overall better atmosphere than AC3 itself, and if they're gonna go into a gritty, realistic version of pirates, elements like the such could really, really help improve the atmosphere of the game.

Assassin_M
10-17-2013, 12:04 AM
lets see who'll vote for "no, they should just stand and patrol" Let me see you...let me....eat you

I-Like-Pie45
10-17-2013, 12:07 AM
JUST FOR YOU

m

silvermercy
10-17-2013, 12:08 AM
I voted no.

Kidding. I voted yes. :p

General atmosphere was much better in ToKW than AC3 and I suppose the guards integrating more into the world helped a lot.

ArabianFrost
10-17-2013, 12:09 AM
lets see who'll vote for "no, they should just stand and patrol" Let me see you...let me....eat you

JUST FOR YOU

m

Lessa get funnnnkaaaaay

adventurewomen
10-17-2013, 12:09 AM
Agreed, because I like to see guards to be more integrated into the world, instead of just looping animations of them matching down/patrolling the street and talking with loop animations to other guards in areas. ToKW had brilliant ambiance, especially when you see guards with more activities, yes I would like to see this implemented for AC4.

I loved and still love the ambiance, immersion and atmosphere of ToKW is was greatly improved upon when compared to AC3.

LoyalACFan
10-17-2013, 12:38 AM
Indeed, having guards doing other stuff besides standing/patrolling would be pretty cool. If I'm not mistaken, weren't there guards on the beach in one of the open-world demos who were digging up treasure or something? Beats walking around in a scripted loop all day waiting to get stabbed.

SOME patrolling/standing guards are fine, since that's stuff they would actually be doing as well, but not all the time.

It's not really a huge deal for me either way though, I've gotten used to patrolling zombie guards in many games, not just AC.

silvermercy
10-17-2013, 12:42 AM
Beats walking around in a scripted loop all day waiting to get stabbed.
LOL Indeed. The loop reminded me of the Truman Show movie where people walk in loops every single day.

LoyalACFan
10-17-2013, 12:45 AM
LOL Indeed. The loop reminded me of the Truman Show movie where people walk in loops every single day.

Confirmed: Jim Carrey to star in AC5

I-Like-Pie45
10-17-2013, 12:47 AM
Lessa get funnnnkaaaaay

aw yiss man

orgy time

Wolfmeister1010
10-17-2013, 12:49 AM
Confirmed: Jim Carrey to star in AC5

Start a thread where we talk about various celebrities being assassins.

Stealth Gamer92
10-17-2013, 01:03 AM
Voted yes but can live without. I would prefer these kinds of events did happen though.

SixKeys
10-17-2013, 01:34 AM
There should be a third option like "depends on the action". I don't want all guards portrayed as evil. They're just doing their jobs, after all. Some could be harassing civilians, but I'm perfectly fine with most of them just shooting the breeze with their mates or doing some other normal things (some of which the OP listed, like shining a lamp or checking supplies).

ladyleonhart
10-17-2013, 01:39 AM
There should be a third option like "depends on the action". I don't want all guards portrayed as evil. They're just doing their jobs, after all. Some could be harassing civilians, but I'm perfectly fine with most of them just shooting the breeze with their mates or doing some other normal things (some of which the OP listed, like shining a lamp or checking supplies).

Agreed. :) A middle option would be great.

I personally wouldn't have minded an 'I don't mind' option. :P

Well, I have voted, even though I haven't played ToKW yet, but... since there's no middle ground, it's a secret. ;)

adventurewomen
10-17-2013, 01:51 AM
Agreed. :) A middle option would be great.

I personally wouldn't have minded an 'I don't mind' option. :P

Well, I have voted, even though I haven't played ToKW yet, but... since there's no middle ground, it's a secret. ;)
When you have the time play ToKW is awesome! :D

I-Like-Pie45
10-17-2013, 01:52 AM

not really

DisbandedBox359
10-17-2013, 01:53 AM
Are you's telling me that no one else walks around in circles all day? :eek:

TheDanteEX
10-17-2013, 05:02 AM
I'd like to see them switch shifts. Like watch a few walk back to the barracks or to their homes and other guards coming from. It'd be a nice little touch and remind you that they're people. Bonus points if the guards taking off spawn the same number of civilians coming out, as if they've changed into their street clothes. It wouldn't work for AC4, but it would be a nice thing to keep in mind.

pirate1802
10-17-2013, 08:23 AM

NO.

I'll not let you eat me!
unless you are a hawt lady, in which case, go right ahead!

silvermercy
10-17-2013, 08:30 AM
Agreed!

LoyalACFan
10-17-2013, 08:43 AM

I don't think OP was suggesting they should all be roughing up civilians or anything, just doing regular stuff.

SixKeys
10-17-2013, 01:50 PM
I'd like to see them switch shifts. Like watch a few walk back to the barracks or to their homes and other guards coming from. It'd be a nice little touch and remind you that they're people. Bonus points if the guards taking off spawn the same number of civilians coming out, as if they've changed into their street clothes. It wouldn't work for AC4, but it would be a nice thing to keep in mind.

Ooh, I like this idea.