PDA

View Full Version : 50 min gameplay (German)(spoilers)

FR0ZENZiNE
10-14-2013, 07:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgF9QYDOooM

Stealth Gamer92
10-14-2013, 07:56 PM
Why did I take Spanish as second language in highschool? At least I know what Carlos Santana says when he starts singing though. Doesn't help me here. :(

Farlander1991
10-14-2013, 07:59 PM
(SPOILER PHRASE, BUT, HECK, YOU SHOULD EXPECT SOME SPOILERS IN A 50 MIN VIDEO)

"Possibly I had a hand in selling a sensitive document to one of those Templar chaps you're so fond of" - he really reminded me of Captain Jack Sparrow when he said that.

FR0ZENZiNE
10-14-2013, 08:00 PM
You wouldn't understand it anyways if it wasn't your native language. :D He's talking like he's drunk lol

Layytez
10-14-2013, 08:01 PM
Lovely. It's R2 to freerun now ?

pacmanate
10-14-2013, 08:43 PM
did this guy get the game early or? The 720p looks so bad I cant tell if this is PS3 or PS4

Edit - Its PS4, the leaves moved

FR0ZENZiNE
10-14-2013, 08:54 PM
He was invited to an event in London.

adventurewomen
10-14-2013, 08:59 PM
He was invited to an event in London.
If the event was in London then why is the demo gameplay in German. LOL

Layytez
10-14-2013, 09:02 PM
If the event was in London then why is the demo gameplay in German. LOL
German youtube channel.

lonewarrior30
10-14-2013, 09:03 PM
He was indeed in London he just enabled the German subtitles

GreySkellig
10-14-2013, 10:28 PM
Some thoughts:
--Game looks gorgeous. Really excited for this sandbox world. (Only gripe--grass textures look horrible from up high.
--Pretty much sold on the naval after the first fifteen minutes.
--Glad to see enemies being a bit more aggressive and dealing a lot more damage...although the sniper didn't seem to do as much damage as that axman.
--Havana and Nassau look really fun...but tiny. Oh well, less urban sprawl and more diverse locations, I can live with.
--Berserk darts maaaay be problematic. If you can just dart a target and have all his men aggro on him, it will make most missions pretty easy. Maybe guards shouldn't aggro on a high-priority target, but rather only defend themselves. (After all, the Templar bosses to pay their bills.)
--Finally: Why, why, WHY is this guy worthy of a hands-on invite? That playthrough was painful to watch.

pacmanate
10-14-2013, 10:32 PM
Some thoughts:
--Game looks gorgeous. Really excited for this sandbox world. (Only gripe--grass textures look horrible from up high.

--Finally: Why, why, WHY is this guy worthy of a hands-on invite? That playthrough was painful to watch.

1st point - agree! looks like ac3 on current gen :(
2nd point - also agree.

Wolfmeister1010
10-14-2013, 10:34 PM
I really cant stand why the people who are lucky enough to get their hands on the games are the ones who cant play for ****.

ACfan443
10-14-2013, 10:45 PM
I just can't put into words how ridiculously happy I am with the ambient music in Havana at 29:20, it's just beautiful. So nice to see its return, now let's just hope they keep it that way.

Rugterwyper32
10-14-2013, 10:57 PM
Havana looks absolutely wonderful. I was looking forward to it so much and it lives up to all expectations. Even though this guy's not the best player around, I was happy when he started climbing Basilica Menor de San Francisco de Asis. I was reminded of the puzzle-y viewpoints from the first two games and it was amazing. Ambient music is amazing, too.

I also enjoyed seeing Nassau in action. It looks like fun times as well! Man, this game is gonna be great.

pacmanate
10-14-2013, 11:07 PM
I saw pop in, hopefully due to "early code".

GreySkellig
10-14-2013, 11:16 PM
I saw pop in, hopefully due to "early code".

Some iffy object placement as well...including a glitchy laundry-line that ended halfway to nowhere.

Also, am I the only one dying to know if Edward can stand in the little balconies? (Not the bigger wooden ones, but the little metal-framed ones.)

pacmanate
10-14-2013, 11:17 PM
So that save pirates thing, the guy was italian. They REALLY wanted to make Havana a homage to AC2...

GreySkellig
10-14-2013, 11:27 PM
I noticed that...almost exactly the same dialogue from Brotherhood. Although the second one seemed to be Trinidadian. Some amusing racial insensitivity from the player as he aped the guy's accent...

pacmanate
10-14-2013, 11:31 PM
I noticed that...almost exactly the same dialogue from Brotherhood. Although the second one seemed to be Trinidadian. Some amusing racial insensitivity from the player as he aped the guy's accent...

Yeah it was pretty stupid considering he couldn't speak english correctly. If you know a language speak it, if not, shut the **** up.

Layytez
10-14-2013, 11:31 PM
Don't think the second one was from Trinidad, sounded West African to me. Trinidadians are similar to Jamacians in their accent.

Animator_Alex
10-14-2013, 11:41 PM
Why was Edwards hood off at 22:59 and on at 24:06? I thought it was whenever you were in a restricted area he put his hood on. Also was this recorded on a PS4 or PC?

GreySkellig
10-15-2013, 12:15 AM
Don't think the second one was from Trinidad, sounded West African to me. Trinidadians are similar to Jamacians in their accent.

Good call, actually...he did sound a bit like a Nigerian guy I spoke with a few months back.

Layytez
10-15-2013, 12:41 AM
Good call, actually...he did sound a bit like a Nigerian guy I spoke with a few months back.
Most likely is to be honest. I saw on IMDb a dude that was voiced for a Nigerian pirate so that could be him.

Cosmic_Rooster
10-15-2013, 12:55 AM
Much better quality video here, graphics look a lot better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCrptS2pomI

Moultonborough
10-15-2013, 01:21 AM
It was cool but this guy can't play for ****. He spoiled part of the story at one point which sucked. The Jackdaw seems to move really smooth maybe a little on the side of too touchy. I can see it causing a few possible problems during missions. The graphics looked nice as well. I don't know if it was just me but about halfway through I started to notice how there really was not much difference between AC3 and this. Not that that's always a bad thing but still. It looks like once you start a "ship battle" you can't leave the wheel unless you start boarding or at least how I saw it. What happened to the "No Animus walls"yet they pop up out of nowhere. That I think was a bit disappointing but besides those few issues everything looks great. Can't wait to play it.

SixKeys
10-15-2013, 01:36 AM
50 minutes?! Are you serious? Why would you want to watch almost an hour of footage this close to (console) release? Wouldn't you rather wait and play the game yourself?

Layytez
10-15-2013, 01:40 AM
Well there was little to no story content so I don't really care. We still don't know whats going on in story (unless you've been on initiates you might have an idea ;)) so 50 minutes of just random stuff we have seen before isn't so bad plus i'm tired of seeing pirate this and pirate that in every video.

FrankieSatt
10-15-2013, 01:43 AM
50 minutes?! Are you serious? Why would you want to watch almost an hour of footage this close to (console) release? Wouldn't you rather wait and play the game yourself?

No, I wouldn't. I plan on watching it. I need to see something that makes me want to buy and play this game. So far I've seen 95% Pirates and Pirate ship battles. I need to see something else, and I'm hoping I'll see it in this video.

SixKeys
10-15-2013, 01:50 AM
No, I wouldn't. I plan on watching it. I need to see something that makes me want to buy and play this game. So far I've seen 95% Pirates and Pirate ship battles. I need to see something else, and I'm hoping I'll see it in this video.

LOL, it's a pirate game. Are you seriously expecting this 50-minute video will completely change that fact?

Stealth Gamer92
10-15-2013, 02:00 AM
Much better quality video here, graphics look a lot better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCrptS2pomI

lmao. He sure killed that evil island.

LoyalACFan
10-15-2013, 04:36 AM
Oh god... Chasing the sea shanty... I was ROFLing pretty hard at that. Why would it even enter your mind to shoot a collectible?

ArabianFrost
10-15-2013, 06:20 AM
I don't know. I was really excited about the assassination contracts, but the ones here still seem undeveloped enough to be easily done with a few beserk darts without any other intervention from the player. Hell, they seem like AC3's with a few guards put on place. No story behind them, just random people to kill. They could at least bother to make the targets as guarded as the trget in the Havana demo trailer. Seriously, the guy finished the contract IN UNDER 2 MINUTES. I thought he was going to call it a day, but nope, he finished the contract at the end in less than 2 minutes. I wouldn't call that fleshed out side-missions. You can't say this is due to early code, can you? Moreover, the cities seem so absolutely dead and void of people it's almost like a Ghost city.

The more I see gameplay, the more this game seems overhyped and its expectations for combat still very easy. For God's sake, the German dolt could take down a patrol of guards with ease. So if there are no different enemy architects, it's basically AC3 all over again. Side missions are not fleshed out, combat is relatively the same and cities are lifeless. Yup. Just seems like a glorified AC3, or at least the side-stuff.

I-Like-Pie45
10-15-2013, 06:38 AM
are you going to recant the name of our Lord Prophet Regent Ashraf Ismail Christ Nirvana Smith, large vanilla Frosty™?

ArabianFrost
10-15-2013, 06:46 AM
are you going to recant the name of our Lord Ashraf Ismail, large vanilla Frosty™?

It seems I, Frosty of the Middle-Eastern lands, highest priest of our Lord Ashraf hath discovered that Ashraf is indeed of no divine proportions. It is only trickery and "hype" which he has used to charm my senses (still think he's a great designer though. Just not enough time for him to shine). A false messenger he is and a deluded follower I am. Such a sad panda I have become. I really hoped that this series wouldn't have succumbed to this. It's just really sad. Probably this is the last straw for me. For starters, I won't preorder any AC game till they start taking 2 year breaks.

Jade Raymond, it's your turn to claim the divine heir. Make it worth it, fair maiden.

Farlander1991
10-15-2013, 07:06 AM
Seriously, the guy finished the contract IN UNDER 2 MINUTES. I thought he was going to call it a day, but nope, he finished the contract at the end in less than 2 minutes.

There's a bunch of assassination contracts that can be completed in under 2 minutes in AC2 and ACB, though. In fact, most of the time in AC2/ACB assassination contract missions is spent for just getting to the target's approximate location (because you can be on the other side of the city when you get the mission), the assassinations themselves are rarely over a minute long.

Legendz54
10-15-2013, 07:30 AM
Who gave this guy the game? Cant run, fight or climb properly... He doesn't show off the features of the game very well..

LoyalACFan
10-15-2013, 07:32 AM
I don't know. I was really excited about the assassination contracts, but the ones here still seem undeveloped enough to be easily done with a few beserk darts without any other intervention from the player. Hell, they seem like AC3's with a few guards put on place. No story behind them, just random people to kill. They could at least bother to make the targets as guarded as the trget in the Havana demo trailer. Seriously, the guy finished the contract IN UNDER 2 MINUTES. I thought he was going to call it a day, but nope, he finished the contract at the end in less than 2 minutes. I wouldn't call that fleshed out side-missions. You can't say this is due to early code, can you? Moreover, the cities seem so absolutely dead and void of people it's almost like a Ghost city.

The more I see gameplay, the more this game seems overhyped and its expectations for combat still very easy. For God's sake, the German dolt could take down a patrol of guards with ease. So if there are no different enemy architects, it's basically AC3 all over again. Side missions are not fleshed out, combat is relatively the same and cities are lifeless. Yup. Just seems like a glorified AC3, or at least the side-stuff.

To be fair, many of AC2's contracts were just as easy as the ones we saw here, especially the early ones, and considering that this demo was in Sequence 3, I can only assume these were among the first contracts to be unlocked. I'm not worried about them just yet, because after all, we have seen some legitimately good contracts like the one in the Havana demo.

pacmanate
10-15-2013, 08:45 AM
Oh god... Chasing the sea shanty... I was ROFLing pretty hard at that. Why would it even enter your mind to shoot a collectible?

I wanted to kill myself.

FR0ZENZiNE
10-15-2013, 08:46 AM
Who gave this guy the game? Cant run, fight or climb properly... He doesn't show off the features of the game very well..

He played all AC's with Keyboard+ Mouse

pacmanate
10-15-2013, 08:53 AM
He played all AC's with Keyboard+ Mouse

So does that mean you can't see where viewpoints are? Does that mean you can just drop off things randomly? Does that mean he jumps into everything he sees? Does that mean you start shooting sea shanties?

Nope.

Legendz54
10-15-2013, 09:05 AM
Does it also mean he hits a guard twice and goes to another guard then goes back to the guard he hit? Making it impossible to kill a guard unless he forces them to lose balance or surprise attacking them?

Mr_Shade
10-15-2013, 10:06 AM
Reminder to the OP .

Any new gameplay - should be considered a spoiler, and marked as such.

Locopells
10-15-2013, 10:55 AM
Is there any major plot point spoiled in this, or what?

ArabianFrost
10-15-2013, 11:00 AM
To be fair, many of AC2's contracts were just as easy as the ones we saw here, especially the early ones, and considering that this demo was in Sequence 3, I can only assume these were among the first contracts to be unlocked. I'm not worried about them just yet, because after all, we have seen some legitimately good contracts like the one in the Havana demo.
May be. I only have faint memory of AC2's assassinations, but I do remember they were more varied. At least I remember one assassination where I had to assassinate someone who was chasing women or something, but they definitely felt more developed than a man standing with 3 guards around him.

Mr_Shade
10-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Is there any major plot point spoiled in this, or what?
No,however maybe some tiny story spoilers, which some would rather avoid.

if in doubt, don't watch it ;)

Farlander1991
10-15-2013, 11:07 AM
May be. I only have faint memory of AC2's assassinations, but I do remember they were more varied. At least I remember one assassination where I had to assassinate someone who was chasing women or something, but they definitely felt more developed than a man standing with 3 guards around him.

Eeeehh...

Just go here (http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Boys_Will_Be_Boys) and to the bottom go through the Assassination Contracts missions (they're accompanied with screenshots of the set-up). Not saying that AC2 didn't have cool assassination contracts (one of my favourites is actually where you have to kill 12 brutes in under a minute, you can get really creative there), but they were for the most part really simple, especially, as ACfan mentioned, the first ones. Political Suicide, for example, just a guy standing near 4 guards.

Megas_Doux
10-15-2013, 12:10 PM

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ7gJa3vhgw

Most of AC2 contracts were like that....

ArabianFrost
10-15-2013, 12:37 PM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ7gJa3vhgw

Most of AC2 contracts were like that....

I stand corrected. Maybe it was that one contract that was stalking my memory. Regardless of past instalments, my points remains, shouldn't assassination side-missions be more fleshed out?

Farlander1991
10-15-2013, 12:47 PM
I stand corrected. Maybe it was that one contract that was stalking my memory. Regardless of past instalments, my points remains, shouldn't assassination side-missions be more fleshed out?

Well, define fleshed out? Assassination contracts shouldn't be each some kind of an intricately designed level with a proper story and character development. Which would be really hard especially if there's like 30-40 of them (I don't know how many are there exactly).

Assassination contracts should be, pretty much, just a number of set-ups and goals (with some possible AI reactions to certain events in certain cases) with a varying difficulty level. With a bonus objective of 'be stealthy -> gain more money' to spruce things up.

FrankieSatt
10-15-2013, 01:56 PM
LOL, it's a pirate game. Are you seriously expecting this 50-minute video will completely change that fact?

You are right, this is a Pirate game more than an Assassin's Creed game. That didn't stop me though from turning to the dark side and pre-ordering the game this morning.

I'll play the game for what it is, an open world Pirate game. The only reason I pre-ordered was because if I bought it later I wanted the Black Ship from the Game Stop Pre-Order.

So yes, let the bashing begin. I pre-ordered a game that I have been saying I wouldn't even play.

pacmanate
10-15-2013, 03:21 PM
Why do you guys keep calling it a "pirate" game instead of AC? I didn't see anyone call AC3 the "American Revolution" game, or AC2 the "Italian Renaissance game"

Stealth Gamer92
10-15-2013, 03:45 PM
Why do you guys keep calling it a "pirate" game instead of AC? I didn't see anyone call AC3 the "American Revolution" game, or AC2 the "Italian Renaissance game"

It wasn't as blunt of a point in them.

TheHumanTowel
10-15-2013, 03:49 PM
You are right, this is a Pirate game more than an Assassin's Creed game. That didn't stop me though from turning to the dark side and pre-ordering the game this morning.

I'll play the game for what it is, an open world Pirate game. The only reason I pre-ordered was because if I bought it later I wanted the Black Ship from the Game Stop Pre-Order.

So yes, let the bashing begin. I pre-ordered a game that I have been saying I wouldn't even play.
Great job letting Ubi know you don't like the way the series is going champ. I can't think of a clearer way to get that message across than by pre-ordering the game.

ACfan443
10-15-2013, 03:50 PM
It seems I, Frosty of the Middle-Eastern lands, highest priest of our Lord Ashraf hath discovered that Ashraf is indeed of no divine proportions. It is only trickery and "hype" which he has used to charm my senses (still think he's a great designer though. Just not enough time for him to shine). A false messenger he is and a deluded follower I am. Such a sad panda I have become. I really hoped that this series wouldn't have succumbed to this. It's just really sad. Probably this is the last straw for me. For starters, I won't preorder any AC game till they start taking 2 year breaks.

Been screaming this at the top of my lungs for months, with every AC game special tactics are always used to blind people with hype, and creative directors always come across as omniscient godsends and saviors. With Black Flag it's most likely no different, Ashraf comes across as very dedicated and genuine person, but he's no magician. A huge overhaul in gameplay and revolutionary new mechanics and side content won't just appear overnight.
Having said that, they're definitely on the right track in rectifying mistakes made by AC3 and the overall stagnant, unchanged gameplay that has plagued the series. (The newer iterations more specifically).

GreySkellig
10-15-2013, 03:58 PM
It wasn't as blunt of a point in them.

Actually, this looks a good deal more assassin-y than AC3. Most of the time in that game I just felt like this murdering sociopath on a killing spree motivated by a weird mix of revenge and an incoherent notion of what freedom is. I mean, I enjoyed myself, but I don't think I ever felt like an assassin. There was no assassins' order (other than the not at all assassin-like recruits Connor gathered) and for the first time it really felt like emphasis was being placed on the historical war, not the secret one. Most of the assassinations were either because Connor thinks killing solves problems, or to advance the cause of the rebels.

Obviously Ubisoft is getting farther away from the core AC vibe. I'm hoping that by segregating Edward's pirate vs assassin personas the way this game does, it will mean the assassinations we do get are a little more focused.

Stealth Gamer92
10-15-2013, 04:07 PM
What I was refering to was Black Flag, even the title screams pirate. AC3 was Liberation which can be applied a little more broadly.

pacmanate
10-15-2013, 04:14 PM
But AC4 still looks like the most AC stealthiest thing I have ever seen so far :S The pirate stuff just adds new gameplay mechanics like Naval and new places to free run.

Stealth Gamer92
10-15-2013, 04:17 PM
But AC4 still looks like the most AC stealthiest thing I have ever seen so far :S The pirate stuff just adds new gameplay mechanics like Naval and new places to free run.

That is how I feel as well. I was just saying some people don't look past the title and promo art.

ArabianFrost
10-15-2013, 04:44 PM
Been screaming this at the top of my lungs for months, with every AC game special tactics are always used to blind people with hype, and creative directors always come across as omniscient godsends and saviors. With Black Flag it's most likely no different, Ashraf comes across as very dedicated and genuine person, but he's no magician. A huge overhaul in gameplay and revolutionary new mechanics and side content won't just appear overnight.
Having said that, they're definitely on the right track in rectifying mistakes made by AC3 and the overall stagnant, unchanged gameplay that has plagued the series. (The newer iterations more specifically).

For starters, it was all in good joke. Secondly, I still believe Ashraf Ismail is the best Assassin's Creed lead that we had since Patrice left AC. He's focused, understands what makes an AC game an AC game (Stealth, combat, navigation) and he understands the fundamentals of an open world which is apparent by the sheer number of distractions AC4 has. However, my rife with AC4 isn't that it's a bad game. Actually the mechanics behind it are really solid. The problem is that playing AC4 seems like what AC3 should have been, so you can never shut down that feeling that you have played this game before. The problem is that AC3 ruined AC4 for me by sharing oh so many mechanics. Had AC3 not been released and AC4 was released instead, AC4 could have been the revolution we wait for in the AC franchise. Instead it will feel like a pirate-AC3.

To be honest, I don't blame the devs though. For all I know, they're the best dev team so far and have created the most assassin-y game since AC1. I'm sure they had a great vision for the game and I know it had stealth, but it's clear that if they had more time they could have done more to the combat and stealth rather than borrow AC3's to save time.

Imagine if the game had another year. It could have had Naval multiplayer, maybe a new combat system, definitely a lot more islands and possibly more side-missions. Tbh it isn't the devs that are holding the series back, cause the devs have some really exciting visions for what an AC game should be like, but it's the bloody time restriction that forces them to choose between quantity or quality or a rather lacking compromise between both. Until AC devs are given an open window for game development, we'll continue getting underdeveloped mechanics.

Jexx21
10-15-2013, 05:21 PM
Frost is just complaining because he's worried the game won't be good even though it will be.

killzab
10-15-2013, 05:29 PM
Frost is just complaining because he's worried the game won't be good even though it will be.

We don't know that yet, I would've bet anything that AC3 was going to be great and ... reality happened.

Sushiglutton
10-15-2013, 05:35 PM
For starters, it was all in good joke. Secondly, I still believe Ashraf Ismail is the best Assassin's Creed lead that we had since Patrice left AC. He's focused, understands what makes an AC game an AC game (Stealth, combat, navigation) and he understands the fundamentals of an open world which is apparent by the sheer number of distractions AC4 has. However, my rife with AC4 isn't that it's a bad game. Actually the mechanics behind it are really solid. The problem is that playing AC4 seems like what AC3 should have been, so you can never shut down that feeling that you have played this game before. The problem is that AC3 ruined AC4 for me by sharing oh so many mechanics. Had AC3 not been released and AC4 was released instead, AC4 could have been the revolution we wait for in the AC franchise. Instead it will feel like a pirate-AC3.

To be honest, I don't blame the devs though. For all I know, they're the best dev team so far and have created the most assassin-y game since AC1. I'm sure they had a great vision for the game and I know it had stealth, but it's clear that if they had more time they could have done more to the combat and stealth rather than borrow AC3's to save time.

Imagine if the game had another year. It could have had Naval multiplayer, maybe a new combat system, definitely a lot more islands and possibly more side-missions. Tbh it isn't the devs that are holding the series back, cause the devs have some really exciting visions for what an AC game should be like, but it's the bloody time restriction that forces them to choose between quantity or quality or a rather lacking compromise between both. Until AC devs are given an open window for game development, we'll continue getting underdeveloped mechanics.

Have to agree with this sadly :(. Mechanically the game is just way too similar to 3, which I didn't particluary enjoy. I think they have picked the best from each AC game, just as they said tehy would. It isn't enough though. More time is needed to get the mechanics to where they need to be. I'm leaning more and more towards not getting this game at (PC) launch.

Jexx21
10-15-2013, 05:45 PM
But mechanically, AC3 was the best AC game. Had the best social stealth, the best stealth, the best combat, granted the parkour system needs to be less automatic, but it was still the best parkour system because of the new control scheme. Those are the cores of the series and they improved on them in AC3 and carried them over to AC4.

Sushiglutton
10-15-2013, 05:50 PM
But mechanically, AC3 was the best AC game. Had the best social stealth, the best stealth, the best combat, granted the parkour system needs to be less automatic, but it was still the best parkour system because of the new control scheme. Those are the cores of the series and they improved on them in AC3 and carried them over to AC4.

I agree on that (except some of the stealth mechanics, like detection, were broken in AC3). Problem is that AC is far behind other franchises like for example the Arkham games in the gameplay department. More of the same isn't enough imo. In particular it's not enough to get me to buy a brand new game.

AssassinHMS
10-15-2013, 05:53 PM

I disagree. With the number of people working on current AC games, 3 years are more than enough to make a great AC game.
The problem is not time, the real problem is they focus too little on the AC franchise and spend too much time with meaningless features.

Why make underwater gameplay? Why make a bigger map for every consecutive AC game? Why can't an AC game have a smaller map than the previous (specially when considering AC1's map is already big)? Why include hunting? If this wasn't a pirate game I would even question the relevance of naval gameplay.

All these features take a lot of time to make. Sure they're nice but shouldn't the devs use this time to improve the core aspects of a franchise that has remained, at its core, pretty stagnant?
Couldn't the devs make an AC game that truly improved the core mechanics while relying only/mostly on Assassin's Creed related features to deliver a fun and intense experience? Yes, if only they focused on what really matters and didn't waste time with features that don't belong and that aren't needed in an AC game.

Why save time on combat and stealth for features like underwater, hunting, crafting...? Shouldn't it work the other way around?

On another note, am I the only one that isn't excited for Black Flag or, at least, that remains skeptical about it? I mean, after all AC3's hype, after all the disappointments that I had with this franchise, even if AC4 was set out to be a "pure" Assassin's Creed game that didn't try to be the biggest and that focused on improving the core aspects, I would still wait for the reviews.

Jexx21
10-15-2013, 05:54 PM
Arkham's game mechanics as relatively simple, which is why they're "better."

(And I laud the Arkham franchise as my favorite game franchise, by the way)

Sushiglutton
10-15-2013, 06:07 PM
I disagree. With the number of people working on current AC games, 3 years are more than enough to make a great AC game.
The problem is not time, the real problem is they focus too little on the AC franchise and spend too much time with meaningless features.

I don't think they have three years to build mechanics though. It's true that some people (like the writers for example) have worked over 2 years on AC4. I sincerely doubt that anyone has worked on improving the combat system or stealth for more than 1 year though. I believe it's the exact same people who worked on stealth/combat on AC3 who is doing it again for 4 and that they are basically picking up where they left off for 3 (I'm 100% sure this is how it works for multiplayer).

I mean how could they have started before they had the code for AC3, which they have pretty much just polished and added a couple of extra featurtes to?

On another note, am I the only one that isn't excited for Black Flag or, at least, that remains skeptical about it? I mean, after all AC3's hype, after all the disappointments that I had with this franchise, even if AC4 was set out to be a "pure" Assassin's Creed game that didn't try to be the biggest and that focused on improving the core aspects, I would still wait for the reviews.

Feel the same way. Core mechanics have not improved enough, so my hype is very low atm.

Arkham's game mechanics as relatively simple, which is why they're "better."

(And I laud the Arkham franchise as my favorite game franchise, by the way)

Yeah it's still a casual game, which I like.

FrankieSatt
10-15-2013, 06:24 PM

I call it a Pirate game because 95% of what I've seen so far is nothing but Pirates and Pirate ships. I'm hoping to find SOMETHING that looks Assassin's Creed like in the game when I play it but I'm not holding out hope.

Great job letting Ubi know you don't like the way the series is going champ. I can't think of a clearer way to get that message across than by pre-ordering the game.

I pre-ordered the game because of the Game Stop Exclusive. I was eventually going to get the game to play it and just because I play it doesn't mean I'm not going to trade it in later for something else. I'm playing the game for what it is, a Pirate game. If it's not a very good Pirate game than I'll trade it in for something else.

I have bought plenty of games that were not very good but I wanted to try them and see for myself. This will be no different

Mr_Shade
10-15-2013, 06:25 PM
:rolleyes:

AssassinHMS
10-15-2013, 06:26 PM
I don't think they have three years to build mechanics though. It's true that some people (like the writers for example) have worked over 2 years on AC4. I sincerely doubt that anyone has worked on improving the combat system or stealth for more than 1 year though. I believe it's the exact same people who worked on stealth/combat on AC3 who is doing it again for 4 and that they are basically picking up where they left off for 3 (I'm 100% sure this is how it works for multiplayer).

I mean how could they have started before they had the code for AC3, which they have pretty much just polished and added a couple of extra featurtes to?

Yeah, you're probably right about that. However, they still had enough time to work on stealth and combat if only that was a priority to them.

Feel the same way. Core mechanics have not improved enough, so my hype is very low atm.

Uff. I was starting to think everyone had amnesia. I mean, seriously I almost find amusing how everyone says they're not that hyped but, in the end, most pre-order the game. And how they praise the developers, revering them as gods without having played the game yet and bash anyone who gives a different prediction based on real facts. It's just like politics or religion.

Mr_Shade
10-15-2013, 06:32 PM
Well i'm looking forward to it..

;)

ArabianFrost
10-15-2013, 06:38 PM
Well i'm looking forward to playing it when I get back to my exclusive PS4, using my exclusive access, in addition to my exclusive DLC..

;)

You missed some words.

Mr_Shade
10-15-2013, 07:39 PM
I wish...

ACfan443
10-15-2013, 09:24 PM
For starters, it was all in good joke. Secondly, I still believe Ashraf Ismail is the best Assassin's Creed lead that we had since Patrice left AC. He's focused, understands what makes an AC game an AC game (Stealth, combat, navigation) and he understands the fundamentals of an open world which is apparent by the sheer number of distractions AC4 has.

So did Alex Hutchinson, he went through countless presentations explaining the fundamentals of an open world game, especially the principles of distraction, immersion, stealth, player choice, open endedness etc. It's just that it didn't translate to the final product. But this is beside the point, what I was saying is that many people have been certain that Ash will deliver an amazing, near faultless game (to the point of worshipping his every word and action), but here you are dissatisfied after watching a mere 50 minutes of exploration.

Time constraints aren't just the limiting factors though, I strongly believe that the number of people working on the games plays a vital role too. They've gotten into a habit of mobilising an absurdly large dev army to make the newer games, and this takes a huge hit on the coherence and consistency of both plot and gameplay. AC3 had close to 1000 people working on it with a 3 year development cycle whereas AC2 had only 400 with 2 years, in general AC2 is considered superior quality wise, presumably because they were able to concentrate on the more important elements, so a correlation between team size and quality seems apparent.

FrankieSatt
10-15-2013, 09:26 PM
:rolleyes:

Sarcasm?

What have we seen so far that has lead anyone to believe this is nothing more than a Pirate game? 95% of what we have seen is Pirates and Pirate ships. We know NOTHING about the current time line, we no NOTHING about the Assassin's nor the Templar's in the game. We no NOTHING about the actual Assassin's vs Templar's Story Line. At least in the other games we knew a little bit about those things before the games came out.

Maybe if I were to see those things I might have a different opinion. Right now, all I've seen is Pirates and Pirate Ships and Pirate Ship battles and very little of anything else.

LoyalACFan
10-15-2013, 09:33 PM
Sarcasm?

What have we seen so far that has lead anyone to believe this is nothing more than a Pirate game? 95% of what we have seen is Pirates and Pirate ships. We know NOTHING about the current time line, we no NOTHING about the Assassin's nor the Templar's in the game. We no NOTHING about the actual Assassin's vs Templar's Story Line. At least in the other games we knew a little bit about those things before the games came out.

Maybe if I were to see those things I might have a different opinion. Right now, all I've seen is Pirates and Pirate Ships and Pirate Ship battles and very little of anything else.

Edward is a pirate caught between the Assassin and Templar ideologies because the Creed goes against his selfish and pillaging lifestyle, but he can't be a Templar either because they want to get rid of the pirates due to their obsession with order, which the pirate republic stands in the way of.

This has been explained to us NUMEROUS times, and we have indeed seen walkthroughs with assassination contracts and stealth. We even have a list of confirmed Templars, any more would be spoiling the entire freaking game. It is NOT all pirate ships and naval battles. It's like you've been closing your eyes through half of the pre-release material we've seen...

Farlander1991
10-15-2013, 09:39 PM
We know NOTHING about the current time line, we no NOTHING about the Assassin's nor the Templar's in the game. We no NOTHING about the actual Assassin's vs Templar's Story Line.

It's funny that you post this in a thread about a 50 min playthrough which includes a text recap of Sequence 2 (including the names of the three Templars and how Edward got messed in the Assassins vs. Templar conflict) and a side-mission where we help out an Assassin to deal with a Templar troubles based on what Edward did in Sequence 2. That's already a LOT. We also know some other stuff not from this video necessarilly, like which two historical characters were Templars (and can already have a general idea of what and why happens). In fact, that's actually a lot more than previous games, because...

At least in the other games we knew a little bit about those things before the games came out.

We really knew nothing. AC3? There was Silas labeled as a 'Templar' in the E3 demo, though he wasn't one at all (and we didn't know anything about him besides his name anyway). We only speculated that Charles Lee might be a Templar. And thaaaaaaat's pretty much it. We knew really nothing about the AC3 templar storyline. ACR? Not much, only Leandros who was present in the CGI trailer and the launch trailer (which made people believe that he would be the main antagonist, actually). ACB is the exception here.

For the most part in the AC series we know more about the character's personal journeys before the game releases rather than the Assassin vs. Templar conflict itself, and AC4 is no exception.

Rugterwyper32
10-15-2013, 09:41 PM
Time constraints aren't just the limiting factors though, I strongly believe that the number of people working on the games plays a vital role too. They've gotten into a habit of mobilising an absurdly large dev army to make the newer games, and this takes a huge hit on the coherence and consistency of both plot and gameplay. AC3 had close to 1000 people working on it with a 3 year development cycle whereas AC2 had only 400 with 2 years, in general AC2 is considered superior quality wise, presumably because they were able to concentrate on the more important elements, so a correlation between team size and quality seems apparent.

I feel we might be seeing a case of "too many cooks spoil the soup". All of them have the best intentions, you have all these teams with a good vision working on their part... But then cohesiveness becomes a problem, as we saw in AC3 for instance. There were too many things going on by different teams and we don't know how getting them all in one place went. But we saw the results, which were, unfortunately, not up to par in many areas.

Jexx21
10-15-2013, 09:52 PM
Sarcasm?

We know a lot about the modern-day story actually (I believe this is what you meant by current timeline).

We know that Juno is not strong enough to attack us yet, at this point she's more like a rogue AI. Shaun and Rebecca are off doing their own thing and William resigned as the de facto Mentor. We are working at the Abstergo entertainment branch in Montreal, and we can hack into files and hidden areas and discover Desmond's body, and we may be contacted by William and Rebecca during the modern-day events.

Stealth Gamer92
10-15-2013, 09:55 PM
We know a lot about the modern-day story actually (I believe this is what you meant by current timeline).

We know that Juno is not strong enough to attack us yet, at this point she's more like a rogue AI. Shaun and Rebecca are off doing their own thing and William resigned as the de facto Mentor. We are working at the Abstergo entertainment branch in Montreal, and we can hack into files and hidden areas and discover Desmond's body, and we may be contacted by William and Rebecca during the modern-day events.

So...many...spoilers....

Layytez
10-15-2013, 09:57 PM
And we know what those cubes are for too ;) lol pm me if you wanna know.

Jexx21
10-15-2013, 10:00 PM
So...many...spoilers....
..those are spoilers?

o.o

Stealth Gamer92
10-15-2013, 10:02 PM
To me. I didn't say I didn't like seeing them though. :)

Mr_Shade
10-15-2013, 10:02 PM
They are if you don't want to know anything.. or didn't play AC3 yet..

However the thread has a spoiler warning - so people shouldn't be in here if they are avoiding them...

Stealth Gamer92
10-15-2013, 10:10 PM
They are if you don't want to know anything.. or didn't play AC3 yet..

However the thread has a spoiler warning - so people shouldn't be in here if they are avoiding them...

I know this and with my attitude towards spoilers I can look get the spoiler then still enjoy experiencing it in-game. That was just the most I've ever seen in one post on this forum. It was so cool. :cool:

ACfan443
10-16-2013, 11:49 AM
And we know what those cubes are for too ;) lol pm me if you wanna know.

I think Darby already gave it away on twitter.

FrankieSatt
10-16-2013, 01:58 PM
I watched the video last night and I saw the same as I did in all the other videos. 95% Pirates and Pirate ships and very little that has to do with Assassin's Creed.

Somethings I'm not happy about in that video:

1) Those damn floating pages. The worst designed challenge ever created. Why should I have to chase the damn things all over town just to lose it because of a guard shooting at me for being on the roof or making a mistake while Free Running.

2) Tree climbing wasn't very good in AC3 and I don't see it being any better in ACIV. Should have removed that.

As far as the video itself, the person playing wasn't very good at playing the game. Should have has someone else playing it. The Pirate stuff looked good as well as the ship battles and it looks like there is alot of Ocean to explore.

Overall it looks to be a good Pirate game. I still can't say what kind of Assassin's Creed game it will be.

Farlander1991
10-16-2013, 02:09 PM
95% Pirates and Pirate ships and very little that has to do with Assassin's Creed.

Oh come on. Half of the video spent in Havana doing two assassination contracts against people supporting the Templars (like, you know, people did and liked doing in AC2 and ACB), and a side-mission where we help an Assassin to protect the bureau against soldiers sent by Templars with a further goal of getting to said Templar (you know, akin to an escort mission from AC1 which we do to get more info and eventually proceed to an assassination, though in this case it's a side-activity not the main one) where there's not a single interaction with ANY pirates at all, and you STILL try to make the case that it's got nothing to do with AC?

Sturnz0r
10-16-2013, 02:55 PM
i'm going to unlock all of the fast travel points, first thing, so that i can straight up as an assissin, if the mood calls for it.

FrankieSatt
10-16-2013, 05:48 PM
Oh come on. Half of the video spent in Havana doing two assassination contracts against people supporting the Templars (like, you know, people did and liked doing in AC2 and ACB), and a side-mission where we help an Assassin to protect the bureau against soldiers sent by Templars with a further goal of getting to said Templar (you know, akin to an escort mission from AC1 which we do to get more info and eventually proceed to an assassination, though in this case it's a side-activity not the main one) where there's not a single interaction with ANY pirates at all, and you STILL try to make the case that it's got nothing to do with AC?

I never said it has NOTHING to do with Assassin's Creed, I said that so far I have seen VERY LITTLE. Compared to all the Pirates, Pirate Ships and Pirate Ship battles it has been VERY LITTLE. I would put the percentage at 95% Pirates, Pirate Ships and Pirate Ship battles compared to 5% of everything else that looks like something in an Assassin Creed game.

It's obvious, or it should be, what UbiSoft and this dev team are promoting.... Pirates. The name of the game itself is call Black Flag with the picture of a Black Pirate Flag.

http://vgboxart.com/boxes/360/54033-assassins-creed-iv-black-flag.jpg

Remove the wording from the Box Art and what does it like to you and what do you think it promotes?

SixKeys
10-16-2013, 05:56 PM
I never said it has NOTHING to do with Assassin's Creed, I said that so far I have seen VERY LITTLE. Compared to all the Pirates, Pirate Ships and Pirate Ship battles it has been VERY LITTLE. I would put the percentage at 95% Pirates, Pirate Ships and Pirate Ship battles compared to 5% of everything else that looks like something in an Assassin Creed game.

Fact: 87.4% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Did you not see all the videos where Edward was free-running around cities, doing assassination contracts, helping civilians and killing guards - all things we have traditionally connected with Assassin's Creed? At least a dozen of such videos - long videos - have been uploaded by various sources in the past week.

Yes, it's a pirate game at heart, that much should be clear by now to anyone who hasn't been living under a rock. I don't know why you keep acting like you're still surprised by this. There is also a great deal of traditional AC content as we've seen from the aforementioned videos, but no, the pirate aspects will not be removed from the game any more than Renaissance Italy was removed from AC2. If you don't want to buy a game with a heavy emphasis on pirates, then don't.

FrankieSatt
10-16-2013, 09:01 PM
Fact: 87.4% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Did you not see all the videos where Edward was free-running around cities, doing assassination contracts, helping civilians and killing guards - all things we have traditionally connected with Assassin's Creed? At least a dozen of such videos - long videos - have been uploaded by various sources in the past week.

Yes, it's a pirate game at heart, that much should be clear by now to anyone who hasn't been living under a rock. I don't know why you keep acting like you're still surprised by this. There is also a great deal of traditional AC content as we've seen from the aforementioned videos, but no, the pirate aspects will not be removed from the game any more than Renaissance Italy was removed from AC2. If you don't want to buy a game with a heavy emphasis on pirates, then don't.

I'm not saying that I'm surprised by it, it seems to me that no one wants to even acknowledge that the game's focus is on Pirates. That's the only surprise to me.

I've said I'm buying the game BECAUSE I want to play the Pirate part of the game. However, that doesn't make it a great Assassin's Creed game and until I see more that part of it is questionable to me.

The focus of this game is too much on Pirates and not enough on the current day time line, who the new main character on that will be, and what the Assassin's and Templar's are even doing during this ancestor's time line.

Let me also add, that I'm guessing at my stats based on the videos and information I've seen. I never said they were 100% accurate, they are my opinion.

Jexx21
10-16-2013, 09:16 PM
the modern day guy is us. literally ud

SixKeys
10-16-2013, 09:27 PM
I'm not saying that I'm surprised by it, it seems to me that no one wants to even acknowledge that the game's focus is on Pirates. That's the only surprise to me.

I've said I'm buying the game BECAUSE I want to play the Pirate part of the game. However, that doesn't make it a great Assassin's Creed game and until I see more that part of it is questionable to me.

The focus of this game is too much on Pirates and not enough on the current day time line, who the new main character on that will be, and what the Assassin's and Templar's are even doing during this ancestor's time line.

Let me also add, that I'm guessing at my stats based on the videos and information I've seen. I never said they were 100% accurate, they are my opinion.

The modern day main character is us, the player. I suppose you haven't been following AC4 news very much if you don't know this and if you assume nobody is acknowledging the fact that this is a pirate game. Most people are just more okay with it than you are.

FrankieSatt
10-16-2013, 09:32 PM
The modern day main character is us, the player. I suppose you haven't been following AC4 news very much if you don't know this and if you assume nobody is acknowledging the fact that this is a pirate game. Most people are just more okay with it than you are.

That is really lame if that is the case. If I want to be in the game than I'll play an RPG.

In any case, the focus is way too much on Pirates and not enough on anything else. That is my problem with it.

Assassin_M
10-16-2013, 09:37 PM
Did you not see all the videos where Edward was free-running around cities, doing assassination contracts, helping civilians and killing guards - all things we have traditionally connected with Assassin's Creed? At least a dozen of such videos - long videos - have been uploaded by various sources in the past week

In any case, the focus is way too much on Pirates and not enough on anything else. That is my problem with it.

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/1658280192/hED5D7894/

ArabianFrost
10-16-2013, 09:39 PM
While we're at it. If you're still thinking about watching this video, DO NOT WATCH IT. It wouldn't look this bad if this guy were intentionally out there to absolutely massacre the game's reputation.

Mr_Shade
10-16-2013, 09:41 PM
That is really lame if that is the case. If I want to be in the game than I'll play an RPG.

Maybe it's not your type of game then..?

Any changes to gameplay - style or theme, can alienate fans.

Some can adapt some can't.

Considering we have seen very little of the Assassin side of the story, could be considered bad by some, however I prefer not to see what is already established.

They confirmed there is assassinations - so for me, that's enough. . .

The style of gameplay we now have, open world, means you are free to either ignore or embrace the new style - fair enough, there will be [I expect] some pirate parts of the main story you have to complete, however it's still a AC game at it's core..

Of course, there's other people who will play the bear minimum of the AC missions - and spend their time exploring, sailing, hunting and doing pirate things..

End of the day, a game will never please everyone..

While we're at it. If you're still thinking about watching this video, DO NOT WATCH IT. It wouldn't look this bad if this guy were intentionally out there to absolutely massacre the game's reputation.
Least we agree on something ;)

I suggest people check the Playstation Access videos.. they are better!

FrankieSatt
10-16-2013, 09:50 PM
Maybe it's not your type of game then..?

Any changes to gameplay - style or theme, can alienate fans.

Some can adapt some can't.

Considering we have seen very little of the Assassin side of the story, could be considered bad by some, however I prefer not to see what is already established.

They confirmed there is assassinations - so for me, that's enough. . .

The style of gameplay we now have, open world, means you are free to either ignore or embrace the new style - fair enough, there will be [I expect] some pirate parts of the main story you have to complete, however it's still a AC game at it's core..

Of course, there's other people who will play the bear minimum of the AC missions - and spend their time exploring, sailing, hunting and doing pirate things..

End of the day, a game will never please everyone..

I know the game will never please everyone but shouldn't the game be more focused on the Assassin's and the Templar's and come up with a decent reason as to why the Present Day time line is still needed and create a new character for the Present Day that actually have some depth and intrigue than just using you the player as the character for the Present Day time line?

I'm going to play the game for the Pirate part and the open sea part. That looks interesting. That doesn't mean I'm not disappointed by all the focus on that. If they wanted to create a Pirate game than they should have done that, as a separate game, and focused all their efforts on that instead of trying to focus on Pirates while at the same time shoehorning the Assassin's, Templar's and Present Day time line and making it all work.

It just seems to me that the Assassin's, Templar's and Present Day time line are taking a back seat in this game and that is disappointing.

Assassin_M
10-16-2013, 09:53 PM
It just seems to me that the Assassin's, Templar's and Present Day time line are taking a back seat in this game and that is disappointing.

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1385874_654114247962190_1439255127_n.jpg

Layytez
10-16-2013, 10:00 PM
Well the Templars are probably looking for something again and Edward just happens to have come across it. Assassins are probably moving around alot helping the others.

ArabianFrost
10-16-2013, 10:02 PM
https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1385874_654114247962190_1439255127_n.jpg

Eh ya welad el weth*a?

Translation:
What the hell guys?

Mr_Shade
10-16-2013, 10:04 PM
I know the game will never please everyone but shouldn't the game be more focused on the Assassin's and the Templar's and come up with a decent reason as to why the Present Day time line is still needed and create a new character for the Present Day that actually have some depth and intrigue than just using you the player as the character for the Present Day time line?

Well unless you have played the game - who's to say that's not all there..?

Ubisoft is VERY careful not to spill any Story / Plot points.. so you never know.. you maybe surprised..

FrankieSatt
10-16-2013, 11:59 PM
Well unless you have played the game - who's to say that's not all there..?

Ubisoft is VERY careful not to spill any Story / Plot points.. so you never know.. you maybe surprised..

I would like to be wrong, I would like to be surprise and I hope I am.

pacmanate
10-17-2013, 12:51 AM
This thread is making me knifeface

Megas_Doux
10-17-2013, 02:14 AM
This thread is making me knifeface

My grandma could do a better job than that german dude hahaha