PDA

View Full Version : Is ACB Disliked?

LieutenantRex
10-14-2013, 02:54 AM
Brotherhood was the first Assassin's Creed game I ever played on a console (AC: Bloodlines was really my first, which drove me into the series), then came AC2, and then Revelations, then AC3, and AC1. Out of all the games, ACB will always be my favorite, even though AC3 comes in a close second. I made this thread simply because I notice on the forums that ACB doesn't get a lot of love or mention, or even credit. In fact, in almost all of the references on the forums I've seen about the game, it's more criticism than praise. I made this trhead to ask why. I suppose I'm just ignorant to what you guys are thinking, so if you can, please respond why you don't feel like ACB was a good game.

I loved Brotherhood because it had all of the things that made a game solid to me. It had interesting activities to do, and its mission design was excellent. It encouraged stealth without having many stealth mechanics. Guard AI was superb; hearing to movement (on rooftops, they'd turn around just in time to see your blade reach their face) and their placement. Even their scripted dialogues always made me feel more immersed than other games have. Mission structure in Brotherhood was also something I found very good. There were many ways to do something, and even if there were fewer, there were multiple options to tackle quarries.

To me, Brotherhood had an engaging storyline, and it was focused. It wasn't too big that it branched out to irrelevant things, but it wasn't so small either that you'd become dissatisfied. I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but I personally believe Brotherhood had the -best- modern day sections. There was clever, witty dialogue. A nice sense of direction, and the modern day characters made me feel far more connected to them. Maybe this is because Shaun wasn't as ****-y as he was in AC2, so you could warm up to him, or maybe it wast he fact that the whole gang was at its prime; Lucy wasn't a Templar; Rebecca was being productive; Shaun was also being productive, along with providing nice, witty dialogue; Desmond finally knew what he had to do, and he wasn't very reluctant to do it. ACB really gave us the option to warm up to these characters more, and I am always confused that people complained about not getting enough modern day in the series. The Modern Day story line was linear, but it wasn't guided linear, like AC3: You had to search for the next linear path to go to, especially in the Colosseum mission. There was even funny optional dialogue, concerning a path which led to a dead end if you traveled down it.

In AC games after Brotherhood, I noticed an alarming quality drop in side missions. Now, I'm not saying side missions are vital to a game, but if it's open-world you can't expect players to get driven on story alone, although some games do this well (Mafia II). In ACB, side missions were relevant to the Assassin cause, and their purposes were more than just helping out a faction that wouldn't be much use. Templar Assassination missions were optional, and never really affected the main story, but they were fun to play, especially seeing as they were an ambient acknowledgement to the struggle between Templars and Assassins. The Cristina Missions were completely useless in terms of reward... Although, this may seem sappy, but I was rewarded with knowing so much more about Ezio, and these missions drove me closer to him (Altair is still my favorite character, however). They weren't needed, but they were satisfying to experience. Leonardo missions had a goal; to keep the inventions of da Vinci out of Borgia and Templar hands. They weren't really needed, but they tied in somewhat with the main story, and once more, they were satisfying to experience. Faction missions were fun too, albeit sometimes annoying (Thief races). The factions in ACB were all fully fleshed out, and playing their missions to help them all out was fun, at least for me. They may get a bit repetitive in structure (Courtesans), but they all had a purpose that tied in with the story-line, no matter if they were mentioned or not.

Character development was excellent. Ezio isn't my favorite assassin (Altair is, then Connor, and then Ezio), but ACB fleshed him out for me. He was relatable, and I easily hurt for him when Mario and Christina died. Maybe I'm just a sap, or maybe one of the few people on Earth who can experience empathy anymore, but I really felt connected to Ezio in a way I never was in AC2 and ACR. Brotherhood's historical story was perfect for me; Its villain, while not unique in origin, was engaging nonetheless; The story tied itself together very well, and I don't think I can find any plot holes to date. Everything worked... perfectly, for me. Things weren't rushed, nor did they drag out. Events were steady, plausible, and meaningful.

I don't want anyone to think I'm discrediting any other Assassin's Creed games. I love them all, truly, but Brotherhood struck something in me that I never got with the other games in the series. I still feel a pang of regret for not installing the game on my Xbox when I see its scratched disc surface. It's currently unplayable for me, so all I have is memories and walkthroughs on Youtube, but I still like looking at its cover and reminiscing. This is the game that truly brought me into the AC series, and it pains me to see it be discarded so easily. It did so many things right in a game, and it outperforms its predecessors in ways I find unbelievable. I love all AC games, but I love ACB the most.

Do you guys love ACB? If not, please take the time to reply and state why. You can criticize my post in whatever way you want. I'd like to see if my love for the game is just blind fanboy-ism.

Wolfmeister1010
10-14-2013, 03:03 AM
I loved it! I agree about the drop of quality in side missions. Hopefully that will change in AC4. ACB is tied with AC3 for my favorite AC. AC3 had better combat, better graphics, and naval missions and tree running, but ACB had a better location, better stealth, and better side missions.

STDlyMcStudpants
10-14-2013, 03:17 AM
IMO
ACB and ACR were $40 releases even though they sold for $60 each...
You get the same length out of them..but the content isn't actually there.
I did love Assassins Creed Brotherhood because of the newly added game play mechanics like the watch towers and assassinating a captain before you can take over a plot of land and i LOVED that some collectibles werent reachable until you saved up enough money to have something repaired
But again..story and missions wise it just wasnt there..... no meat to the bones..except the christina missions..i enjoyed those lol
Still one of the most enjoyable AC games every made and hands down best MP so far :D

Shahkulu101
10-14-2013, 03:22 AM
Brotherhood is my absolute favourite, I love the density of Rome - so much fun side missions to complete, Assassin's to recruit or Borgia towers to takeover.

It was my first AC game. It was simply the best.

Better than all the rest (except in terms of story, perhaps but IMO the stories have never really been AMAZING have they)

SixKeys
10-14-2013, 03:23 AM
ACB is my favorite game in the series. AC1 still has a special place too, but ACB came out at exactly the right time in my life. I was going through some bad stuff at the time and the only thing I had to look forward to was this game. I was so hyped about it I was sure it could only end up disappointing me, but miraculously it didn't. It took everything that made AC2 great and either improved upon it (combat, graphics, side missions) or gave me more of the same, which I didn't mind because I loved AC2. I don't mind that the story is simplistic, to me atmosphere makes all the difference. I loved roaming around Rome and listening to the beautiful music. Like the OP, I enjoyed the modern day bits a lot (I agree about Shaun - I've never been a fan, but he was at least tolerable in ACB). As I recently mentioned in another thread, I really appreciate the cohesiveness of ACB's overall narrative; every side quest ties into the main quest. I also loved the multiplayer (still the best MP in the series, I really wish it wasn't so hard to find matches these days :( ). It's the game I have the best memories of and one I keep returning to when I just want to have some fun.

Assassin_M
10-14-2013, 03:30 AM
Because it had a story tailored to a five year old, a set of bland characters, a boring, more of the same setting, an Ezio I wanted to see AC II (character progression wise) a stagnant and non-sensical economic system, terrible script and finally turned the secretive Assassin Brotherhood into an open gang.

The story of the game capitalized on what I hated THE MOST about AC II's story. lack of ambiguity. there were traces of TRYING the ambiguity in AC II, but it wasn't enough. now in ACB it was just ridiculous. Cesare Borgia was made out to be this battle and tactical genius who's a worthy adversary for Ezio, whom he respects for his charisma and unparalleled ability, but then in the game, it was just a silly family feud with Cesare reduced to a crybaby who stomps on the floor when he doesn't get what he wants or cries "GUAAAAARDS"
another point is that there were SO MANY missed opportunities for relationship and character progression; one such example is Ezio's relationship with Claudia...it was strained somewhat due to Ezio's travels and it becomes more cold when Claudia elects to become Madame of the Rosa in Fiore (I mean, who would want his sister running the most popular brothel in Rome, eh?) so anyway, Claudia is this sheltered girl who's only skill is running a business. she lived a relatively a peaceful life. now my problem is how the relationship between Ezio and his sister rekindles. a band of Borgia men are sent to murder everyone in the Brothel and Ezio races there, he's worried and will probably ache for revenge if anyone harmed the rest of his family....what happens? Claudia kills everyone and is all happy about it...like it's some everyday stuff.....errr..what? so, Claudia..you can wield a knife? "yea" well, when did you learnt that? "I dunno" well, this is the first time you ever killed someone...."yea" don't you feel...I don't know...sick? "nope"

This is a problem with the series in general since AC II, there's no natural character progression. Ezio was betrayed by a close family friend in AC II and the natural progression is supposed to be him being distant and distrusting of people, but no...he's normal with everyone...and NEVER doubts ANYTHING from the countless strangers he meets on his adventure and know his name for some reason.

The ONLY character that shined among the boring set was Machiavelli...maybe Claudia too, but EVERYONE else was either more of the same or reduced in some skill to give Ezio more shine. Bartolomeo, a battle and strategy genius, was made into a buffoon, Leonardo only appears twice, La Volpe is well....La Volpe and each Villain is so empty and just uninteresting, that a piece of wood would'v sufficed in their absence, actually scratch that...a piece of wood would'v made a better villain.

Now Rome....Ahh, how bland it was. the color schemes, the architecture...it was all either more of the same or just too...bland. it was TOO clean in the city and repulsive to look at in the countryside. It was the worst AC setting by far. I'v seen nearly every building in Rome somewhere in AC II before...okay, maybe not the Colosseum, but just about everything else..even though they designed Rome with the inaccurate Baroque style architecture to avoid similarities with Florence, because that's how Rome was in the early 1500s...similar to Florence, but SOME HOW it still felt like more of the same.

This Economic system made sense in AC II's Monterrigionni. Your small town requires funding to be rebuilt, rebuilding SHOWS progression in population and appearance. Now this was tailored and made sense for a small town that the protagonist owns, when you take that system and apply it to ROME...friggin ROME, which basically means that one man owns the whole goddamm city, then it becomes silly, especially when the only changes in the city after rebuilding it are the color scheme, flower petals and THE SAME POOR PEOPLE WHO WERE THERE BEFORE REBUILDING are now holding luxurious accessories...yes that's what you get for funding the city, oh and more open shops that sell you weapons, armor and accessories, except these things are useless since the game is bat**** easy.

Now the script goes with the Scooby Doo theme of the story. the modern gang of Assassins are on the run from the biggest corporation on the planet, BUT...all the...nervous moments THAT SHOULD BE SHOWN between these members of the Assassin order are relegated to email and instead we're only shown the happy side of this group "lets go find that POE, gang" "Yaaaa" "best brotherhood forevaaaa XOXOXOX" but the moments i wanted to see..the moments where Rebecca tells Lucy she misses her family for example...are in email...sure, there was one or two moments like those, but it wasn't enough for me. there was less of these moments and more scooby doo. I wont delve into "Vittoria Agli Assassini" -_-

The Brotherhood of Assassins. an organization that was disbanded with the SOLE purpose of being integrated into society and hidden from public eye by Altair almost 300 hundred years...is now all over Rome doing all sorts of crap and the minstrels even know them by name now yaaaaaaaay.....yeah, no. what was the point then? what was the point of being hidden? being disbanded? what is the point of that mission in the meta game of the recruits, where Ezio sends an Assassin team to stop a historian from recording their actions down o paper and making it public?? what was the point?? EVERY ant in Rome heard the phrase "Vittoria agli Assassini" at one point in the story...so..what happened? things that I didn't like...a direction that I hated and THANKFULLY is being abandoned for the time being in AC IV and previously in AC III.

Don't anyone DARE correct anything I said. this is all my opinion.

EDIT: another thing I wanted to add after reading SixKeys post is about the side missions. they were probably the ONLY good thing about the game, along with Ezio's long awaited character progression and the fun combat. While Six sees the coherence of the side missions to the plot as a plus, I saw it as a complete detachment and immersion breaker. the side missions are unfortunately fully tailored to be make sense contextually ONLY if you haven't finished the narrative yet. side mission characters mention long deceased villains, long past events and a main antagonist who's already dead. it breaks the illusion and just limits the side missions to narrative borders only thus leaving you with nothing that makes sense after you finish the story.

TheDanteEX
10-14-2013, 03:32 AM
I was enjoying ACB up until the historical ending. I almost felt like I missed a large part of the game because it just jumped several years when most of the game kept it consistent. And plot points being explained via database is a turnoff.

Megas_Doux
10-14-2013, 03:32 AM
It is a matter of perspectives, however here is my overall feeling:

ACB is my least favorite in the series. I find Rome, despite its grandeur landmarks, very dull, bland and monotous. A lackluster version of AC2´ cities, like Tuscany and Firenze having a big ugly baby. The main city in which I free roam the least.

Then we have its linear, predictable and cartoonish story full of; linear, predictable and cartoonish antagonists. I have seen better antagonist in the scooby doo series haha. There were no surprises or plot twists to be found, the worst templar crew in the series. Cesare Borgia could have been a great templar, he was a very talented general that excelled in both combat and strategy. Instead, he was reduced this time to a spoiled little brat yealing "GUAAAARDS" all the time.

Ok! I know that combat is easy in this franchise, but with ACB Ubisoft crossed the line. I mean, I have tried to literally die and ended up failing to, because the stupid guards either hit thin air with their halberds, or when I am to the point of desynch, they just stop attacking......
The only thing I really enjoy are Da vinci´s missions and assassin contracts! So to me, it would go like this:

AC1/AC3/AC2, ACR, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand then ACB......

PD PD There is also the utterly embarrassing warcry of "VITTORIA AGLI ASSASSINI!!!!!!!"

HiddenKiller612
10-14-2013, 03:33 AM
I liked it... I only had one gitch and that was during the cesare boss fight... It was kind of awesome though... He glitched out and I couldn't damage him... Enemies kept spawning... at some point I'm like screw it... Picked up a claymore sword... and I'm like hmm... lets see if this works... Lobbed it at him and blam... ended the battle in one hit... It was awesome.

Jexx21
10-14-2013, 05:31 AM
why are they trying to make intelligent spam bots anyway?

it's like, they're not even advertising anything.

This must be an experiment by some place to test a bot program. Maybe Ubisoft themselves.

I liked Brotherhood.

phoenix-force411
10-14-2013, 05:57 AM
I don't hate. I liked it, but Rome began to feel too orange after beating the game. I also didn't like that fact that his knife belt and poison blade kept disappearing as part of a bug. It really lacked drama, and ACR really brought that back. When it comes down to it, I liked ACR more than ACB, but I don't dislike ACB.

LoyalACFan
10-14-2013, 06:35 AM
Hated it. Rome sucked with all of its open countryside with nothing to climb on, Cesare was a lame villain, side missions were all "ZOMG dis will weeken Chezaray!", and the story was impossibly childish. Combat was the only thing I liked, and it wasn't enough to buoy the whole game.

Gi1t
10-14-2013, 06:56 AM
It is by me. XD

ACB is my least favorite in the series. I find Rome, despite its grandeur landmarks, very dull, bland and monotous. A lackluster version of AC2´ cities, like Tuscany and Firenze having a big ugly baby. The main city in which I free roam the least.

Then we have its linear, predictable and cartoonish story full of; linear, predictable and cartoonish antagonists. I have seen better antagonist in the scooby doo series haha. There were no surprises or plot twists to be found, the worst templar crew in the series. Cesare Borgia could have been a great templar, he was a very talented general that excelled in both combat and strategy. Instead, he was reduced this time to a spoiled little brat yealing "GUAAAARDS" all the time.

Ok! I know that combat is easy in this franchise, but with ACB Ubisoft crossed the line. I mean, I have tried to literally die and ended up failing to, because the stupid guards either hit thin air with their halberds, or when I am to the point of desynch, they just stop attacking......
The only thing I really enjoy are Da vinci´s missions and assassin contracts! So to me, it would go like this:

PD PD There is also the utterly embarrassing warcry of "VITTORIA AGLI ASSASSINI!!!!!!!"

I'd say that's a pretty accurate list of my own gripes with the game. (Including liking some of DaVinci's missions) I also hated that in combat, they shunted off the one thing in AC2's combat system that really kept me engaged in it, which was the strafing ability. And they replaced with with a lame kick to the crotch.

But most of all, it bugged me that with ACB, the series started to feel like it wasn't really going anywhere and was becoming more about self-perpetuation. It was that point in a cliffhanger-filled story where you stop going 'what happens next? 0__o' and start going 'is this really going anywhere or are they just dragging it out as long as they can? -__-'

(Only thing I couldn't help but like about Brotherhood was lobbing the Spadone at enemies. XD )

phoenix-force411
10-14-2013, 08:31 AM
It is by me. XD

I'd say that's a pretty accurate list of my own gripes with the game. (Including liking some of DaVinci's missions) I also hated that in combat, they shunted off the one thing in AC2's combat system that really kept me engaged in it, which was the strafing ability. And they replaced with with a lame kick to the crotch.

But most of all, it bugged me that with ACB, the series started to feel like it wasn't really going anywhere and was becoming more about self-perpetuation. It was that point in a cliffhanger-filled story where you stop going 'what happens next? 0__o' and start going 'is this really going anywhere or are they just dragging it out as long as they can? -__-'

(Only thing I couldn't help but like about Brotherhood was lobbing the Spadone at enemies. XD )

Strafing was moved to the joystick. It's now the moving stick. Flick it to where you want to dodge to.

Locopells
10-14-2013, 09:47 AM
Instead, he was reduced this time to a spoiled little brat yealing "GUAAAARDS" all the time.

There is also the utterly embarrassing warcry of "VITTORIA AGLI ASSASSINI!!!!!!!"

I wondered how long it would be before someone came out with the standards (not dismissing your other opinions on the game)...

Personally I liked ACB.

adventurewomen
10-14-2013, 10:09 AM
I liked AC Brotherhood, my favorite part of AC Brotherhood was pushing Cesare to his death, he deserved it for being annoying but yet funny at the same time.

pirate1802
10-14-2013, 12:08 PM
I don't HAAAATE!! it, I don't really hate any AC game, they are all good, just some more good than other.

But ACB is my least-liked AC. Why? Because as others have said, Rome lacked a certain something. Its hard to explain but.. it lacked the grace of even smaller cities like Florence or Montereggioni. The story? You know, the main pull of AC for me is its stories and villains. ACB's simple story and cliched villains, I'd have accepted in any other games, but not in an AC game because these two are like the top 2 of three reason I play AC for. Thus I was utterly disappointed. Combat was fluent but also made ****ing easy, so not sure it it was a plus or minus. Side missions however were excellent.

But at the end of the day, both Brotherhood and Revelations felt like full-priced expansions to me, like STD said.

pacmanate
10-14-2013, 12:28 PM
I liked AC:B more than AC2 but it was too short.

pineal_gland
10-14-2013, 02:24 PM
I love ACB. It had this really nice atmosphere, i think i enjoy replaying this AC game the most. It has these really eerie elements to it while not being too dark. that's why i was hoping AC3 would take place during the French revolution or England, fighting against the monarchs. And by that i mean fighting the monarchs face to face, not fighting some minions of the monarchs like in AC3 and AC:BF.

The soundtrack... what can i say. The soundtrack was perfect! It fitted the atmosphere of the story and city perfectly. Jesper Kyd was literally the sound of AC. He just nailed it.

Loved the tombs in ACB, together with the followers of Romulus sidestory.

The glyph puzzles were also really good, and some of them were actually pretty hard to solve. It really felt like i was actually hacking some secret information. Well done Jeffry Yohalem! gonna miss you in the next AC games...

Rebuilding Rome felt like a good improvement over rebuilding monteriggioni in AC2. It was actually the most fun in ACB i think. There was even a Glyph that could only be reached by restoring a viaduct if i remember correctly. Awesome.

The whole part at the end where Desmond and his crew go to the Colosseum is just brilliant in my opinion, and one of the reasons why i have replayed this game many many times.
The music,freerunning through the Colosseum, the part where Desmond does the leap of faith just like Ezio at the same spot, Freerunning through the Santa Maria Aracoeli with it's beautiful artwork, Entering the vault, Juno talking this mysterious and cryptic stuff. The transition between the old architecture and futuristic TWCB architecture. Stabbing Lucy. Shaun making hints at the French revolution. Amazing...

I really liked the look of the armor and clothes in this game and i also liked the graphics of the game. I think it looked better than AC1 and AC2, while not being too different (like Desmond's face in AC3) The sky was also really beautifully made.

The cool Desmond freerunning mission when you completed the glyph puzzles with more cryptic messages from subject 16 (which was totally ruined in ACR and AC3)

Fun to play VR training.

It felt good being the "good" guy. Helping innocent people, restoring the city, desolated by the Borgias, getting rid of corrupt people, The game in it's whole had a good message i think, when not taken too literally.

Bastiaen
10-14-2013, 02:52 PM
ACB is one of my favorite games of all time. It got the mood right. Visually, it's still stunning. It's not a perfect game by any means, but it really got the toy element of a game correct. The side missions were actually fun and there are tons of them. I hope AC4 has as much quality side content as ACB had.
I've noticed a trend on these forums. Every time a new game comes out, there are a lot of people who are excited by it, but there are people who cling to the last game. So now we've got camps of people clustered around specific AC titles. I noticed this as early on as running up to the release of AC2. That's fine. People can have those opinions.
I love all of these games, which is why I'm here.

Hans684
10-14-2013, 03:45 PM

Agree.

Because it had a story tailored to a five year old, a set of bland characters, a boring, more of the same setting, an Ezio I wanted to see AC II (character progression wise) a stagnant and non-sensical economic system, terrible script and finally turned the secretive Assassin Brotherhood into an open gang.

The story of the game capitalized on what I hated THE MOST about AC II's story. lack of ambiguity. there were traces of TRYING the ambiguity in AC II, but it wasn't enough. now in ACB it was just ridiculous. Cesare Borgia was made out to be this battle and tactical genius who's a worthy adversary for Ezio, whom he respects for his charisma and unparalleled ability, but then in the game, it was just a silly family feud with Cesare reduced to a crybaby who stomps on the floor when he doesn't get what he wants or cries "GUAAAAARDS"
another point is that there were SO MANY missed opportunities for relationship and character progression; one such example is Ezio's relationship with Claudia...it was strained somewhat due to Ezio's travels and it becomes more cold when Claudia elects to become Madame of the Rosa in Fiore (I mean, who would want his sister running the most popular brothel in Rome, eh?) so anyway, Claudia is this sheltered girl who's only skill is running a business. she lived a relatively a peaceful life. now my problem is how the relationship between Ezio and his sister rekindles. a band of Borgia men are sent to murder everyone in the Brothel and Ezio races there, he's worried and will probably ache for revenge if anyone harmed the rest of his family....what happens? Claudia kills everyone and is all happy about it...like it's some everyday stuff.....errr..what? so, Claudia..you can wield a knife? "yea" well, when did you learnt that? "I dunno" well, this is the first time you ever killed someone...."yea" don't you feel...I don't know...sick? "nope"

This is a problem with the series in general since AC II, there's no natural character progression. Ezio was betrayed by a close family friend in AC II and the natural progression is supposed to be him being distant and distrusting of people, but no...he's normal with everyone...and NEVER doubts ANYTHING from the countless strangers he meets on his adventure and know his name for some reason.

The ONLY character that shined among the boring set was Machiavelli...maybe Claudia too, but EVERYONE else was either more of the same or reduced in some skill to give Ezio more shine. Bartolomeo, a battle and strategy genius, was made into a buffoon, Leonardo only appears twice, La Volpe is well....La Volpe and each Villain is so empty and just uninteresting, that a piece of wood would'v sufficed in their absence, actually scratch that...a piece of wood would'v made a better villain.

Now Rome....Ahh, how bland it was. the color schemes, the architecture...it was all either more of the same or just too...bland. it was TOO clean in the city and repulsive to look at in the countryside. It was the worst AC setting by far. I'v seen nearly every building in Rome somewhere in AC II before...okay, maybe not the Colosseum, but just about everything else..even though they designed Rome with the inaccurate Baroque style architecture to avoid similarities with Florence, because that's how Rome was in the early 1500s...similar to Florence, but SOME HOW it still felt like more of the same.

This Economic system made sense in AC II's Monterrigionni. Your small town requires funding to be rebuilt, rebuilding SHOWS progression in population and appearance. Now this was tailored and made sense for a small town that the protagonist owns, when you take that system and apply it to ROME...friggin ROME, which basically means that one man owns the whole goddamm city, then it becomes silly, especially when the only changes in the city after rebuilding it are the color scheme, flower petals and THE SAME POOR PEOPLE WHO WERE THERE BEFORE REBUILDING are now holding luxurious accessories...yes that's what you get for funding the city, oh and more open shops that sell you weapons, armor and accessories, except these things are useless since the game is bat**** easy.

Now the script goes with the Scooby Doo theme of the story. the modern gang of Assassins are on the run from the biggest corporation on the planet, BUT...all the...nervous moments THAT SHOULD BE SHOWN between these members of the Assassin order are relegated to email and instead we're only shown the happy side of this group "lets go find that POE, gang" "Yaaaa" "best brotherhood forevaaaa XOXOXOX" but the moments i wanted to see..the moments where Rebecca tells Lucy she misses her family for example...are in email...sure, there was one or two moments like those, but it wasn't enough for me. there was less of these moments and more scooby doo. I wont delve into "Vittoria Agli Assassini" -_-

The Brotherhood of Assassins. an organization that was disbanded with the SOLE purpose of being integrated into society and hidden from public eye by Altair almost 300 hundred years...is now all over Rome doing all sorts of crap and the minstrels even know them by name now yaaaaaaaay.....yeah, no. what was the point then? what was the point of being hidden? being disbanded? what is the point of that mission in the meta game of the recruits, where Ezio sends an Assassin team to stop a historian from recording their actions down o paper and making it public?? what was the point?? EVERY ant in Rome heard the phrase "Vittoria agli Assassini" at one point in the story...so..what happened? things that I didn't like...a direction that I hated and THANKFULLY is being abandoned for the time being in AC IV and previously in AC III.

EDIT: another thing I wanted to add after reading SixKeys post is about the side missions. they were probably the ONLY good thing about the game, along with Ezio's long awaited character progression and the fun combat. While Six sees the coherence of the side missions to the plot as a plus, I saw it as a complete detachment and immersion breaker. the side missions are unfortunately fully tailored to be make sense contextually ONLY if you haven't finished the narrative yet. side mission characters mention long deceased villains, long past events and a main antagonist who's already dead. it breaks the illusion and just limits the side missions to narrative borders only thus leaving you with nothing that makes sense after you finish the story.

Totally agree.

LatinaC09
10-15-2013, 04:43 AM
AC2 is my favorite and will always be (AC3 comes right after). To this day Brotherhood was the only AC game I actually traded back in because I was so bored with it. One problem for me was the lack of diverse cities. I was so used to traveling from Venice to Florence to Tuscany to whatever other city (all of which btw were very different from one another) that being stuck in Rome the entire game just killed it for me. I felt like it was an add on to AC2. Don't get me wrong though Brotherhood had some good aspects such as the assassin recruits, towers and introduction of multiplayer but it just didn't capture me the way AC2 did.

Gi1t
10-15-2013, 05:42 AM
Strafing was moved to the joystick. It's now the moving stick. Flick it to where you want to dodge to.

Yeah, which kind of crippled the function since you no longer had the ability to modify how long you strafed. It had a lot more uses back when you could hold the button down and really control the side to side motion. . -__-

SNUBKILLER75
10-15-2013, 09:55 PM
brotherhood is the best and revelations is the worst out of all of them imo. i couldnt even finish revelations. i am slowly finishing ac3 but my disc cracked so it only works when it wants to.

SixKeys
10-15-2013, 10:14 PM

I don't really notice such things since I always do all side missions before completing the main story. At least in ACB there's no definite indication of when the side missions took place. In AC3, it's sometimes confusing to be able to complete missions in an order that shouldn't be possible. Like, I'm still not sure if Achilles "officially" died before or after Connor's quest had ended. And some of the naval missions can be completed in different years.

pacmanate
10-15-2013, 10:19 PM
brotherhood is the best and revelations is the worst out of all of them imo. i couldnt even finish revelations. i am slowly finishing ac3 but my disc cracked so it only works when it wants to.

Even your disc doesn't like AC3.

Assassin_M
10-15-2013, 10:22 PM
I don't really notice such things since I always do all side missions before completing the main story. At least in ACB there's no definite indication of when the side missions took place.
Because mentioning Rodrigo and Cesare as running Rome in 1507 is not a definite indication.

SixKeys
10-15-2013, 11:34 PM
Because mentioning Rodrigo and Cesare as running Rome in 1507 is not a definite indication.

When does this happen in the game?

(Not trying to argue or anything, it's entirely possible that I just missed something.)

BATISTABUS
10-15-2013, 11:50 PM
Honestly, even Machiavelli just served as a tool to demonstrate how wise and humanistic Ezio was. Ezio seemed to teach him more than vise-versa.

For me, the best part of ACB was the multiplayer. It was just so fresh and fun, with a bunch of awesome looking characters, stages, and music. Such a simple idea that worked perfectly with AC. For whatever reason, the feeling of first playing ACB multiplayer is one of my fondest in gaming.

SixKeys
10-16-2013, 12:00 AM
I will agree about the characters being simplified in order to make Ezio look better, especially Machiavelli and Bartolomeo. It didn't bother me though since I enjoy everything else so much.

Biomedical-Fire
10-16-2013, 01:37 AM

Wow M, couldn't have said it better myself, eloquently put!

Assassin_M
10-16-2013, 01:55 AM
When does this happen in the game?

(Not trying to argue or anything, it's entirely possible that I just missed something.)
There's a Courtesan assignment, I can't remember which number was it, but it was before Bad politics, the courtesan mentions Rodrigo by name and how he's meeting with ambassadors who are threatening her.
There's another Courtesan assignment that has a courtesan telling you how Cesare captured and imprisoned Prospero and what's his face Collonna.
There's more Courtesan and thief assignments and cutscenes where this occurs, but I just don't remember them right now

Also, I just want you to know that I have no problem with you liking this and I don't see it as "bad" or anything, I was just saying how your post reminded me of a criticism that I forgot.....and I can't forget my criticisms :|

Honestly, even Machiavelli just served as a tool to demonstrate how wise and humanistic Ezio was. Ezio seemed to teach him more than vise-versa.

For me, the best part of ACB was the multiplayer. It was just so fresh and fun, with a bunch of awesome looking characters, stages, and music. Such a simple idea that worked perfectly with AC. For whatever reason, the feeling of first playing ACB multiplayer is one of my fondest in gaming.
I added Machiavelli because he at least duped Ezio...and seemed smarter than him sometimes, so you know...I guess I saw it as both of them learning from each other. Actually one of the few relationships between 2 characters that I liked.

Assassin_M
10-16-2013, 01:57 AM
Wow M, couldn't have said it better myself, eloquently put!

Thanks...took me a while to write :|

Locopells
10-16-2013, 10:38 AM
I wouldn't dream of daring to correct your personal opinion, M, but I gotta say - you put way too much thought into this. Not saying I disagree with everything you say, but unless it jumps out at me repeatedly, I don't let ruin my game...

Farlander1991
10-16-2013, 10:52 AM
The out of chronology side missions never really bothered me due to the, well, Animus. Heck, the main story of ACB itself jumps back in time from 1507 to 1506 with the DaVinci Disappearance DLC. With Animus the story can jump wherever it wants, really.

Which is why my immersion wasn't broken. The Animus. I know that Ezio didn't go to race with Thieves before going to save Caterina just because I 'viewed' those two pieces of DNA in that order. Basically, there is no 'why are you chasing chicken when you have to save the world' problem going on.

And in AC2, for example, we can complete Lorenzo's assassination contracts long after he died. In AC3 we can jump between a bunch of years with the naval sections if we're far into the game. Doesn't bother me.

So when it comes to immersion, I think it's the matter of creating your own. I personally try to 'live chronologically', so I don't wait for the side missions to be completed until after the end of the game, though sometimes it doesn't work out a bit, but even then, my immersion is not ruined. Animus.

pacmanate
10-16-2013, 11:30 AM
No-one praise M, it goes to her head :p

Assassin_M
10-16-2013, 06:40 PM
No-one praise M, it goes to her head :p
Honestly? it does...now kiss my feet, peasant.

The out of chronology side missions never really bothered me due to the, well, Animus. Heck, the main story of ACB itself jumps back in time from 1507 to 1506 with the DaVinci Disappearance DLC. With Animus the story can jump wherever it wants, really.

Which is why my immersion wasn't broken. The Animus. I know that Ezio didn't go to race with Thieves before going to save Caterina just because I 'viewed' those two pieces of DNA in that order. Basically, there is no 'why are you chasing chicken when you have to save the world' problem going on.

And in AC2, for example, we can complete Lorenzo's assassination contracts long after he died. In AC3 we can jump between a bunch of years with the naval sections if we're far into the game. Doesn't bother me.

So when it comes to immersion, I think it's the matter of creating your own. I personally try to 'live chronologically', so I don't wait for the side missions to be completed until after the end of the game, though sometimes it doesn't work out a bit, but even then, my immersion is not ruined. Animus.
I agree with you and I actually use that with justifying AC III's out of chronological order side missions. AC II's were just text written so it didn't bother me too much and the thing about the DLC and some of AC III's side missions is that there's a short scene that actually SHOWS when an event occured...so it gives the illusion of jumping between times in the Animus, while mostly staying chronological to avoid confusion, but 1507 is just stuck in my head when I start the side missions....just the year at the bottom right of the screen would've sufficed for me and I do realize this is a trivial complaint xP

I wouldn't dream of daring to correct your personal opinion, M, but I gotta say - you put way too much thought into this. Not saying I disagree with everything you say, but unless it jumps out at me repeatedly, I don't let ruin my game...
I hope no one took my comment about daring to correct my opinion too seriously xP I was just back from YT and I was having an argument there that I didn't even start, so I was a bit iffy :|
I know and as much I loved ACB far more than AC II sometimes, with the amazing side missions, it does ruin the experience here and there, because like SixKeys and Farlander said, it DOES feel so coherent, but just hearing "Borgia" "Cesare" "Rodrigo" so many times....it can really just ruin it. what's wrong with "Templar" "Templars"? they could've done that and I would've been fine.

Perk89
10-16-2013, 11:13 PM
Brotherhood was absolutely my favorite game in the series. Deep, diverse game.

TheElderSons
10-16-2013, 11:28 PM
I, honestly, love AC:B, but I agree with what M is saying. The whole side mission/main plot being out of synch has been a massive problem for me through the series, but in AC:B I was never bothered much by it. No, for me, the real offender was ACIII. I mean, you finish the main plot, then you go to your homestead to do a side quest, and everyone's freaking out about how the redcoats are coming to arrest this one dude on the homestead, and you spend the rest of the mission fighting them, even though, no less than half an hour ago, you watched THE LAST British troops in the Americas sail away.

I was always able to ignore the nagging itch in my head when this problem came up in other games, but now, in more recent ones, it's become truly grating. I mean, I go to do an assassin recruiting mission, and THE BRITISH ARE TAKING OUR HOMES! Honestly. I'd settle for a crackle of Animus fragments on the screen and a date flashed at me, and I'd be totally happy to accept it, but it' shard to swallow when you're chasing a British spy through a city full of Colonial soldiers, flying the American flag on every pole.

Megas_Doux
10-17-2013, 12:03 AM
I, honestly, love AC:B, but I agree with what M is saying. The whole side mission/main plot being out of synch has been a massive problem for me through the series, but in AC:B I was never bothered much by it. No, for me, the real offender was ACIII. I mean, you finish the main plot, then you go to your homestead to do a side quest, and everyone's freaking out about how the redcoats are coming to arrest this one dude on the homestead, and you spend the rest of the mission fighting them, even though, no less than half an hour ago, you watched THE LAST British troops in the Americas sail away.

That happens in AC2......

"Ezio, The Pazzi´s are planning to infiltrate the market place, you must stop them"

Years after both the Pazzi´s and even Lorenzo´s death haha

Kaschra
10-17-2013, 12:40 AM
I was always pretty meh on Brotherhood - until the recent playthrough.
It really changed my view on the game. The story is not that great of course, but I just had so much FUN playing the game this time. And fun is an important factor for a game, isn't it?
I also started to like Rome as the setting - I wasn't too fond of it before, but now I quiet like it.

Though one thing I've always liked about Brotherhood were the modern day parts - I like the interactions between the characters. You really get to know them in this game.

I-Like-Pie45
10-17-2013, 12:44 AM
did they ever find out who ate the yogurt

thats what i'm wondering

even more so than the sun your son

SixKeys
10-17-2013, 01:55 AM
did they ever find out who ate the yogurt

thats what i'm wondering

even more so than the sun your son

It was Shaun, who also revealed to us that Rebecca is a Templar.

Megas_Doux
10-17-2013, 02:01 AM
I really do not mind the immersion breaking due to some side mission being not attached to the main campaign.

Shahkulu101
10-17-2013, 02:51 AM
I cream my knickers when I play Brotherhood... such fun and glory. A lot of core AC stuff - the B. towers, Leo da Vinci mission, assassination contracts, templar agents and MOAR.

Best AC. End of.