PDA

View Full Version : Wow AC2 feels a little dated :/

killzab
10-13-2013, 07:40 PM
I started a new playthrough of it today and after removing my nostalgia goggles, the game feels dated to me. More so than AC1.

The graphics are very meh ( though the atmosphere kind of saves it )

The game is lacking in the cinematic aspect ( guards fighting all over the city while a guy is sweeping the floor just next to them ?!)

The writing feels very simple compared to AC3 ( at least when it comes to the depth of dialogues )

And the gameplay .... well let's say combat is not exciting and is major downgrade compared to AC1.

I don't know, surprisingly, I think AC1 passes the test of time more easily.

adventurewomen
10-13-2013, 07:43 PM
Well the game is 4 years old now and the graphics in games keep improving.

I recently replayed the Venice Carnival sequences they are still beautiful till this day!

killzab
10-13-2013, 07:52 PM
Well the game is 4 years old now and the graphics in games keep improving.

I recently replayed the Venice Carnival sequences they are still beautiful till this day!

True, but AC1 which is 2 years older, actually looks more solid technically.

Stealth Gamer92
10-13-2013, 07:53 PM
I started a new playthrough of it today and after removing my nostalgia goggles, the game feels dated to me. More so than AC1.

The game is lacking in the cinematic aspect ( guards fighting all over the city while a guy is sweeping the floor just next to them ?!)

The writing feels very simple compared to AC3 ( at least when it comes to the depth of dialogues )

And the gameplay .... well let's say combat is not exciting and is major downgrade compared to AC1.

You sound like you'd hate old games like Chaos Theory. Graphics aren't everything. I admit though the sweeping thig would be odd. I hope I never manage to notice it.

Farlander1991
10-13-2013, 07:55 PM
ACB is a lot more solid in the graphics, texture, animation (including facial) and lyp-synching department than AC2 was. Compare AC2 Cristina with ACB Cristina for example, the differences are striking. And yes, AC1 is much more impressive graphically speaking than AC2. AC1 also had better physics than AC2 (wind affecting the robes, for example), and more detailed animations (like, the guards and Altair in AC1 all have facial expression animations during combat, the guards and Ezio in AC2 don't, and we don't get a comeback of that until AC3).

Lowly Assassin
10-13-2013, 07:56 PM
isnt it obvious, the guy was just trying to clear up the blood before it stained the floor, he ahs too much pride in his city

lothario-da-be
10-13-2013, 08:22 PM
AC1 for me at least still doesn't feel outdated. Even afther almost 6 years. its amazing how i never realised how beatiful it was when i bought it. Of course it was beatiful, but now it seems like technology hasn't advanced that much when replaying ac1.

adventurewomen
10-13-2013, 08:29 PM
True, but AC1 which is 2 years older, actually looks more solid technically.
I agree however the appearance of the blue tonal base of colors in AC1 makes the game look advanced in terms of graphics when compared to AC2.

The wider pallete of colors in AC2 reflects that Medival Italy was a vibrant time.

ze_topazio
10-13-2013, 08:31 PM
Still looks good to me.

STDlyMcStudpants
10-13-2013, 08:40 PM
I disagree completely..
I actually didn't play AC2 until after I played AC3 and I loved it....
The cut scene visuals weren't breath taking most of the time. but having already played AC Brotherhood and AC 1 I knew what to expect graphics wise....
AC2 is light years ahead of it's time in design and game play... what other game had interactive cut scenes where you kick as a baby?! :D
IT's graphics looked like Skyrims Graphics 2 years before Skyrim...
I think ACR, AC3, and now AC 4 over deliver more than you could say AC2 under delivers or feels dated...
As again games that came out late 2011 hardly look any better

I wasnt a huge AC fan when I started (duh) I havent been following it much Ive heard of AC Brotherhood (was the first ac game i ever heard of after I heard of Assassins Creed years earlier)
And ACR was the first AC game I ever played...it came with AC1 and I HONESTLY thought it was a Playstation 2 game....
Ibelieved thisfor the longest time until i got AC obsessed and found out that it wasn't...

lothario-da-be
10-13-2013, 08:42 PM
I disagree completely..
I actually didn't play AC2 until after I played AC3 and I loved it....
The cut scene visuals weren't breath taking most of the time. but having already played AC Brotherhood and AC 1 I knew what to expect graphics wise....
AC2 is light years ahead of it's time in design and game play... what other game had interactive cut scenes where you kick as a baby?! :D
IT's graphics looked like Skyrims Graphics 2 years before Skyrim...
I think ACR, AC3, and now AC 4 over deliver more than you could say AC2 under delivers or feels dated...
As again games that came out late 2011 hardly look any better

I wasnt a huge AC fan when I started (duh) I havent been following it much Ive heard of AC Brotherhood (was the first ac game i ever heard of after I heard of Assassins Creed years earlier)
And ACR was the first AC game I ever played...it came with AC1 and I HONESTLY thought it was a Playstation 2 game....
Ibelieved thisfor the longest time until i got AC obsessed and found out that it wasn't...
Playstation 2? :confused::nonchalance::mad:

shobhit7777777
10-13-2013, 09:27 PM
AC1 doesn't feel dated because of its visual design.

Its got more realistic lighting - well it seems more realistic - and the sunlight is harsh in keeping with the mid-eastern tone. Cloud cover keeps the overall atmosphere dynamic and realistic as you can see the sky going gray and the sun rays dimming due to passing clouds...you can see the shadows fall on Altair's robes

The cities have a grimy look to it and the dust blowing with the wind (YAY! Particles!) adds to the overall look. The wind also sways Altair's robes....which is fantastic eye candy. The Skydome looks fantastic and so does the horizon - vast and an ancient.

The urban areas are also tightly packed and the number of characters on screen appear to be quiet high (IDK if its higher than AC2...I doubt it). The aural atmosphere is also absolutely fantastic...and really intensifies the actual density of the city....vendors selling wares, hawkers, town criers, banging of pots and pans. It wonderfully enhances the visuals.

The grimy, gritty realistic visuals of AC1 feel more realistic and perhaps this colours our perception

AC2 has a glossier, cleaner look which looks hand-painted. This may be a deliberate decision by the devs as they were trying to portray a different place and a different time altogether. It looked less hyper real and more surreal..fantastical IMO. It wasn't bad...it was just different. Plus the day/night cycles were nice.

Assassin's Creed Revelations...IMO combines the best of both worlds...it marries the urban grittiness of AC1 with the fantastical, magical lighting and sheen of AC2. It might look dated...but it looks real pretty.

I think all AC games have been visually very very appealing.....yes, even ACIII

silvermercy
10-13-2013, 09:32 PM
I wonder if after the new next-gen consoles, all AC games will feel dated in terms of graphics... (and games in general).

TheDanteEX
10-13-2013, 10:02 PM
The most obvious dated aspect of AC1 is the facial animations. Nobody's eyebrows move. They look like puppets most of the time. Gameplay animations are still solid though. But walking on slopes should be different from walking on flat ground. Zelda had this back in '97.

dxsxhxcx
10-13-2013, 10:09 PM
I like the pace that the story is told in AC2, this alone is enough reason for me to play that game again and again without get bored of it (the end of its prologue IMO it's one of the most touching moments this franchise already had, especially when you know what happens next), I also can play AC1 many times because of its perfect atmosphere (IMO the best of all games) and somewhat different experience it provides compared to the other games, these two are the only ACs I played more than twice...

LoyalACFan
10-13-2013, 10:10 PM
Honestly, AC2 remains my favorite mostly because of the atmosphere and soundtrack. I still enjoy running aimlessly around Florence and Venice just listening to the music and enjoying the vistas. Yes, the combat is pretty bad, but at least the stealth mechanics aren't utterly broken.

As for the story/dialogue... Yeah, it's probably the most simplistic of the series except for the crappy kiddie-bedtime story that was ACB, but it was a simple story told very well. Whereas AC3 was a complex story told very poorly IMO. AC2 was black-and-white, but at least it was consistent and logical without any unexplained motives.

HiddenKiller612
10-13-2013, 10:26 PM
I think they've stood the test of time very well and will continue to do so. Even AC1, which I still have yet to replay all these years later.

ze_topazio
10-13-2013, 10:36 PM
To tell the truth i never understood the so called moral greyness of AC1 in contrast with the black and white moral of AC2 thing, AC1 Templars were outright evil, just because on their last moments they claimed they had good intentions doesn't make them misunderstood good guys, at least AC2 Templars were honest with their intentions.

salman147
10-14-2013, 09:55 AM

And everyone kept saying...''AC 2 IS 100000000X Better than AC3!!!! AC2 WAS A MASTERPIECE!!! NO AC GAME COULD SURPASS AC2!!!!! AC 2 IS EVERYTHING!!!!!!!''

dxsxhxcx
10-14-2013, 09:58 AM
And everyone kept saying...''AC 2 IS 100000000X Better than AC3!!!! AC2 WAS A MASTERPIECE!!! NO AC GAME COULD SURPASS AC2!!!!! AC 2 IS EVERYTHING!!!!!!!''

opinions dude, just opinions...

Assassin_M
10-14-2013, 03:27 PM
after removing my nostalgia goggles

Preach...