PDA

View Full Version : assassin's creed 4 black flag game rating question

ranmart
10-08-2013, 05:41 PM
I was wondering if anyone on here knows what kind of language to expect in this game or if nothing else what were the other creed games like for language. just asking because some rated M games are ok and others i have played had the F word every other scene.

pacmanate
10-08-2013, 05:43 PM
I was wondering if anyone on here knows what kind of language to expect in this game or if nothing else what were the other creed games like for language. just asking because some rated M games are ok and others i have played had the F word every other scene.

AC games never use excessive bad language. You will hear the odd naughty word here and there. I think its more the gore and sexual themes that gives AC the 18 rating.

TheDanteEX
10-08-2013, 06:03 PM
You can expect modern swear words being used, judging from what we've seen. And these are pirates, so I don't think they'll exactly be censoring themselves. By some M-rated games being "ok", do you mean only gore and no swearing? M-rated games are M-rated for a reason, after all.

ranmart
10-08-2013, 06:37 PM
I got Farcry 2 when the ps3 first came out and i had to get ride of the game because of the language upsetting others around me. i loved the game but the language was a little much. i don't mind words in context but excessive really hard words about god or the f word are too much for my home with little ones coming in the future.

lothario-da-be
10-08-2013, 06:38 PM
Oh no people are swearing in an 18+ game! How dare they do this?!

Jexx21
10-08-2013, 06:39 PM
You better not get this game, or play it in private, because the pirates seem like they'll be saying **** a lot, and maybe goddman as well.

They'll be cursing like sailors.

STDlyMcStudpants
10-08-2013, 06:41 PM
From ESRB:
"This is an action-adventure game in which players assume the role of a pirate looking to amass a fortune in the 17th century. As players explore open-world environments, they interact with pirates, travel between ports, and engage in combat against the Royal Navy and Spanish Colonies. Players can also engage in swordfights with armed soldiers on ground; players can also employ stealth kills using various weapons (e.g., concealed blades, blow guns) to incapacitate enemy soldiers. Some sequences depict pistol shots to the head and characters getting impaled. Large blood splashes appear when enemies are injured, and blood is sometimes depicted around corpses. During the course of the game, the dialogue references sexual material (e.g., “when you catch a dose from a ***** and must treat it with quicksilver” and “they come here to sell their slaves. . .but they stir up trouble and violate our women”). Players ' character can purchase and consume alcohol at taverns, resulting in screen-distortion effects; one prolonged sequence depicts a drunken character having hallucinations. The words “f**k,” “sh*t,” and “c*nt” are heard in the dialogue."

STDlyMcStudpants
10-08-2013, 06:42 PM
Of course in an era like this we will hear some harsh words, but it is no borderlands where every other character is yelling "Die b****"

ranmart
10-08-2013, 06:54 PM
From ESRB:
"This is an action-adventure game in which players assume the role of a pirate looking to amass a fortune in the 17th century. As players explore open-world environments, they interact with pirates, travel between ports, and engage in combat against the Royal Navy and Spanish Colonies. Players can also engage in swordfights with armed soldiers on ground; players can also employ stealth kills using various weapons (e.g., concealed blades, blow guns) to incapacitate enemy soldiers. Some sequences depict pistol shots to the head and characters getting impaled. Large blood splashes appear when enemies are injured, and blood is sometimes depicted around corpses. During the course of the game, the dialogue references sexual material (e.g., “when you catch a dose from a ***** and must treat it with quicksilver” and “they come here to sell their slaves. . .but they stir up trouble and violate our women”). Players ' character can purchase and consume alcohol at taverns, resulting in screen-distortion effects; one prolonged sequence depicts a drunken character having hallucinations. The words “f**k,” “sh*t,” and “c*nt” are heard in the dialogue."

thats not too bad then if only one scene of the game is bad. for the other guys comment a far number of high profile games coming out now are rated M so the days of just buying a game without rating checking for homes with kids around is over

lothario-da-be
10-08-2013, 06:55 PM
thats not too bad then if only one scene of the game is bad. for the other guys comment a far number of high profile games coming out now are rated M so the days of just buying a game without rating checking for homes with kids around is over
Its not like it realy affects the kids...

Mr_Shade
10-08-2013, 06:57 PM
Or, get headphones?

Tbh - Children seeing the games brutal killings - should also be a concern?

pacmanate
10-08-2013, 06:58 PM

You never know!
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1377039_419005258201306_1379183126_n.jpg

Jexx21
10-08-2013, 07:05 PM
Seriously, stop playing M-rated games around your kids.

ranmart
10-08-2013, 09:27 PM
i don't. i just wish developers would think more about young people when they pick the wording for there games. i know nintendo picks up a lot of the family gaming scene but look how much more these high profile games would sell if they were more family friendly in the language. I know where i'm from the local wall mark will not even sell a m rated game to the parents if they know there getting it for there kids .

Templar_Az
10-08-2013, 10:47 PM
I wish they would use these swear words in Nintendo games like Pokemon; I think it would be a lot more entertaining. Not good for the kids tho.

Kit572
10-08-2013, 10:54 PM

There is a game called Call of Duty that turns children into psychopathic homophobes and racists...

Dag_B
10-08-2013, 11:58 PM
i don't. i just wish developers would think more about young people when they pick the wording for there games. i know nintendo picks up a lot of the family gaming scene but look how much more these high profile games would sell if they were more family friendly in the language. I know where i'm from the local wall mark will not even sell a m rated game to the parents if they know there getting it for there kids .
Oh not that again. *sign*
Those games are not (only) rated M because of the language. Mostly it is, because they are extremely bloody and brutal and address other more mature themes.
So even if they would use the softest language possible, those games would still be rated M, as the drug references and violence would still be in there.

And its totally ok that Wal Mart does not sell games to persons that give them to children, if you ask me. The rating is there for a reason...
Plus, as I said, if you only soften the language it would still be a M rated game so Wal mart would still not sell them to children. ^^

guardian_titan
10-09-2013, 12:36 AM
AC1 hardly had any swears as did Brotherhood and Revelations yet all were still rated M (in the US anyway). AC2 was riddled with them although they were all in Italian. AC3 had mild swears and were few and far between. Some may not consider them swears today while others would. Edward's a pirate. Sailors are known to swear up storms (swearing like a sailor). Chances are there will be some language. Another interesting tidbit is that swearing (or at least yelling) helps increase your pain threshold. Something Mythbusters did a few years ago. You can probably find a clip of it on YouTube.

This game is intended to be marketed toward a more mature audience. The games often focus on bloody times so are violent and bad language is often directly related to it. So why should Ubisoft strip the game of any bad language and still keep the violence? If they strip the violence, too, then the game isn't really historical anymore. Might as well just hand the game to Disney. If Disney did AC3, Connor likely would've skipped off into the sunset holding hands with the Templars throwing daisies as they went. :rolleyes: And the American Revolution likely wouldn't have even been acknowledged due to people actually dying. Same's true for the Crusades and every other conflict.

Things are rated what they are for a reason. If you feel you cannot explain what goes on in the game to the children who may catch you playing it, you have no reason to be playing it. Children hear far worse from those in their neighborhood, on TV, on the internet, and at school. You can't possibly protect them from it 24-7. May as well talk to them regarding the subject and the earlier the better. Explaining violence to children is a good way to explain to them what is right or wrong. Wait too long and the kid may either become indifferent to it and thus doesn't care when it happens or decides to commit violence themselves. People are so insensitive to violence these days because we are so inundated with it, but no one ever really sits down with their children to talk about it. The parents immediately blame the media for their own failings.

Simply put: don't like it, go elsewhere. Hello Kitty has quite a few games you can play that may be more age appropriate. Either that, or figure out when is the best time you can play the game so the children aren't around. Send them to a friend's house for a play date or a sleepover. Send them to their grandparents for the afternoon. Have someone take them to the park for a few hours. Play when they're at school. Play when they're in bed and either use headphones or live with the sound off or low. There are options. With PS4/Vita having interconnectivity, you can also buy a PS4 and a Vita and just play the game on Vita instead that way you can go hide in the car in the middle of nowhere so no prying eyes catch you.

Ultimately, they are just sounds. It's cultural and generational what's naughty and what's not. What we have a heart attack over now our descendants will just snicker at. How many people say crap, hell, and damn today but our grandparents had their mouths washed out with soap when they used it when they were younger? What's a swear is constantly evolving. I honestly wouldn't get overly concerned about it. People don't get pissy when someone says fudge instead of the swear yet used in the same context suggesting what fudge was supposed to be. Just talk to them about it and draw boundaries. Don't get your panties in a twist because they're going to see much worse eventually. Can't protect them forever.

LoyalACFan
10-09-2013, 02:59 AM

:nonchalance: