PDA

View Full Version : AC:IV Controls question

mou119
10-06-2013, 09:55 PM
Hello everyone, I love AC and I've played all the main games on PC, but the controls of ACIII are so bad it's almost unplayable. Instead of running and sprinting, here you can only sprint, making it VERY complicated and frustrating to move around. Also you can no longer lock target, you enter "combat mode" automatically, and combat is uncomfortable.

My question is: Will free running and combat in 'Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag' remain the same as ACIII, or will they be more like in the previous games? Have the developers mentioned anything about any new changes in the controls?

AC:IV is looking great, but if the controls are like ACIII, I wont buy it. I just wouldn't be able to enjoy it. Thank you in advance for your time...

poptartz20
10-06-2013, 10:00 PM
umm... I wish I could help you on this but considering you play on PC that makes it harder.

but I know on the ps4 the controls were switched up a little bit so maybe they did the same thing on pc as well?

and yes combat and freerunning are the same. (they are still using anvil next engine so alot of the animation are re-hashed for 4--some with tweeks)

adventurewomen
10-06-2013, 10:03 PM
Maybe you should consider buying a 360 Controller for Windows (http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox-360-Controller-Windows/dp/B004QRKWLA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381093384&sr=8-1&keywords=360+controller+for+windows)

PC Gaming will be easier and the 360 Controller for windows works great on AC games I have one!

AherasSTRG
10-06-2013, 10:14 PM
Maybe you should consider buying a 360 Controller for Windoows? This one: http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox-360-Controller-Windows/dp/B004QRKWLA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381093384&sr=8-1&keywords=360+controller+for+windows

For $34 it's worth it trust me!

PC Gaming will be easier and the 360 Controller for windows works great on AC games I have one!
Yeah, it's a nice deal and it ll last you forever.

mou119
10-06-2013, 11:02 PM
I've tried to get used to the 360 controller but I just can't, you have so much more control if you use mouse and keyboard... Plus, I don't think playing ACIII with the controller would solve my free running problem as the normal running ability has been removed. Thanks for the replies people, I guess this means no more AC for me...

adventurewomen
10-06-2013, 11:04 PM
Yeah, it's a nice deal and it ll last you forever.
Agreed! I've had my 360 Controller for windows for over 5 years, still working strong. :D

I've tried to get used to the 360 controller but I just can't, you have so much more control if you use mouse and keyboard... Plus, I don't think playing ACIII with the controller would solve my free running problem as the normal running ability has been removed. Thanks for the replies people, I guess this means no more AC for me...
Are you really sure?

I'm also a PC gamer and the Keyboard and Mouse is a restricting way to play games in general. I think that you should reconsider and try to get used to the controller.

mou119
10-06-2013, 11:38 PM
I've played ACII and ACB with both 360 controller and mouse / keyboard, and yes I am very sure. I have a simple mouse with the standard buttons plus 2 buttons on the left side. With one of those, you have the same ammout of fingers resting on buttons (If we count WASD as 1) and you don't need one for the camera. You control the camera constantly, and far more precisely than with a joystick. It's the style of gaming that I like...

D.I.D.
10-06-2013, 11:49 PM

It's pointless control though. Plus you're basically wrong. There's great aiming ability, but there's less control with mouse and keys overall in AC. The 360 controller absolutely does solve your problems in ACIII. You have the ability to drop your finger off the trigger for split-seconds to prevent these free running problems. I'm certain everyone who complains about accidentally running up walls and so on is clamping their finger on trigger and not removing it. I played with mouse/keys up to and including AC:R, but switched for ACIII. It's kind of painful for me now watching people's PC videos on YouTube with a keyboard, and the strange halting movement they have to make when walking and talking with a character. It's so much more fluid with the analogue stick to match pace with different walking speeds, and have the choice of jogging or sprinting.

If this was GTA, I'd say sure, keep on with mouse and keys and complain if it doesn't work. However, since this is AC, it's really got to be the 360 controller. Up until now, there's been virtually no meaningful free aim. There seems to be a little more in AC4, but again, it's not significant. Aimed gunplay is not going to be a big factor in AC4. If you don't learn, it's not only AC you'll be missing out on.

deskp
10-07-2013, 08:03 AM
The devs have aslways said it's a game designed to be platyed with a controller. Mouse precition isn't needed in this game at all.

Secu12
10-07-2013, 08:30 AM
There are 3 years now since I have bought a 360 controller. Since then I have played all the AC games, FIFA, Witcher, Tomb Raider, Batman, racing games and some shoohers even with it. I can't go back to keyboard+mouse. Give it a proper shot and you will be used to it!

mou119
10-07-2013, 04:10 PM
It's pointless control though. Plus you're basically wrong. There's great aiming ability, but there's less control with mouse and keys overall in AC. The 360 controller absolutely does solve your problems in ACIII. You have the ability to drop your finger off the trigger for split-seconds to prevent these free running problems. I'm certain everyone who complains about accidentally running up walls and so on is clamping their finger on trigger and not removing it. I played with mouse/keys up to and including AC:R, but switched for ACIII. It's kind of painful for me now watching people's PC videos on YouTube with a keyboard, and the strange halting movement they have to make when walking and talking with a character. It's so much more fluid with the analogue stick to match pace with different walking speeds, and have the choice of jogging or sprinting.

So the jogging ability IS in ACIII, but there is no way of doing it unless you have a controller? Then why did they change the mouse / keyboard configuration for freerunning instead of leaving it like in the previous games where it clearly worked better, I don't understand. They could at least give the OPTION to set the controls to standard freerunning config.

My point about the camera is not about aiming and shooting, it's just that I want to be able to move the camera at any time and at the speed that I choose. It isn't NEEDED to play the game, but it's something I like and appreciate.

If it was impossible to adapt this game for mouse / keyboard, then I would understand and I wouldn't complain, but the previous AC games managed to do this perfectly...